• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Second midlife crises = WRX

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I think 'forever' with todays cars is about 15 years.

Your Charger has enough metal in the panels and chassis to do major work on. With current cars complete panels are replaced because welding, sanding and straigtening a Coke-tin is not possible.

Suppose that's the trade-off for fuel consumption and complying with Euro emission rules. Suppose that also goes for most modern crap that works for a year and has to be tossed beacuse it's not repairable.

I have a GE fridge in my garage, running 24x7 that my parents bought before I was born (1969). Had both the motor and compressor REPAIRED, once, about 15 years ago. Also had to fit an alternative door seal and refill gas a few times and replace the fan-belt between the motor and compressor.

Golden Regards
Uncle
The restoration guys have a huge problem. The chinese replacement panels are IN METRIC and do not fit for shit!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Still loving the WRX EoA? I think of you every time I see one now. I've been wanting to take one for a spin after watching some rally car vids.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I’ve lightened up on the throttle. The Uniden R3 is an excellent detector. Out on the barren savannah of Wyoming I’ve picked up radar from at least five miles out. They (wrx) are cop magnets so you might not like that. Was kinda racing a charger a while back and got popped but he was clocking the charger. The detector went off so I slowed down the charger kept going therefore he got the charger at a higher rate of speed which overrode my true speed. asshole gave me a warning rather than chasing the charger. Legal stuff I’ve learned here kept me from giving him the info he needed to hang me. Where you coming from?
I respectfully refuse to answer any questions.

I was doing 97 in a 70 when the detector went off.

chomper

Purveyor of Filth
Silver Miner
EoA, which model WRX have you got? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 build STi version...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Let me tell you a little story about "horsepressures". Back in the day we were taking stock 5hp briggs motors, cutting them 40 over and installing 30 over pistons with 40 over top ring and 030 over second and oil rings. Friction costs horsepressures.

Burn oil? We fogged for mosquitoes like a 2 stroke. On the dyno it was 12hp at 5800. Good for about 20 laps

You could hardly get the thing started but once she warmed up the lady would fly. My brosef's daughter went 56 races in a row won with those motors.
LOL.....kart racing.....did a ton of it.....i know aaallllll the tricks for those engines.....and your spot on on the HP #s etc....i built engines in the garage all the way from stockers to full modifieds............thx for the memory's .....i still get a adrenaline rush from the smell of burnt methanol :)

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Plain Jane 18. The throttle map sucks on the 18. It was like learning to shift all over. I’ll put a Cobb tuner in it when the warranty expires.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
LOL.....kart racing.....did a ton of it.....i know aaallllll the tricks for those engines.....and your spot on on the HP #s etc....i built engines in the garage all the way from stockers to full modifieds............thx for the memory's .....i still get a adrenaline rush from the smell of burnt methanol :)
Those little cars racing around are pretty darn cute. My friends dad growing up was one of those build em up from the ground racey car dudes.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Also, if you pick up that ‘16 don’t cheap out on tires. Those cars will stick like nothing I’ve ever driven.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I know the drivers sure get ruthless!
the cost of the sport skyrocketed....engines were thousands $ etc....i supported my habit by flowbenching and modifying stock and aftermarket methanol carbs and other special parts.....nascars jamie mcmurry was a area youth racer back then that i sold parts to.......sport went from hundreds of $ ...to 10s of thousands to compete in in a very short period of time

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
the cost of the sport skyrocketed....engines were thousands $ etc....i supported my habit by flowbenching and modifying stock and aftermarket methanol carbs and other special parts.....nascars jamie mcmurry was a area youth racer back then that i sold parts to.......sport went from hundreds of $ ...to 10s of thousands to compete in in a very short period of time
Tim Allen's manly noises came into my head reading that.