• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Sell in May?

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Medium term to long term, I am bullish on metals, and bearish on the broad market.
Short term, I'm leaning towards bearish on both, despite the flood of free money.

Seasonality is real and I've ignored the old adage to sell in may to my detriment before.
It's been a good run off the March lows.
Time to take trading $ off the table and wait for a buying op?
Or maybe this time it's different?

Strawboss

Apocaloptimist
Site Mgr
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Medium term to long term, I am bullish on metals, and bearish on the broad market.
Short term, I'm leaning towards bearish on both, despite the flood of free money.

Seasonality is real and I've ignored the old adage to sell in may to my detriment before.
:don't    know2::don't know::don't know::don't know::don't know::don't know:

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
To tough to call, these are unusual days. I wish I was currently heavier in cash.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I don't see the economy rebounding for long if at all. The dems are loving this new found dictatorial power they think they possess. My bet is they are going to shut down again this fall in order to do anything to get rid of Trump. If they can do that then they stand a very good chance of getting their tates a shit ton of federal money to bail themselves out.

No deals on metals right now with the supply disruption so I am just stacking cash for the time being and waiting for the supply chain to catch up and premiums to come down.

dpong

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Trailing stop losses?

Strawboss

Apocaloptimist
Site Mgr
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Gold.

The only market in the world where when you query the grizzled veterans about what to expect...the overwhelming response is a variation of "I dunno"...

dpong

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Gold.

The only market in the world where when you query the grizzled veterans about what to expect...the overwhelming response is a variation of "I dunno"...
Wisdom and humility, earned the hard way?

jelly

Silver Miner
Seeker
I'll tell you in 6 months.

Seriously though, we are currently in the middle of unprecident events. I don't see anything normal about the current environment. As of today, I see the short term as bullish. We'll see how things look at the end of the month.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I know someone that had built a good portfolio for himself by taking a conservative approach. He then got into the betting part of the market putting maybe 20% of his holdings in. Had some good and some bad calls. He bet against Trump leading up to a trade deal with the chins and lost and now he no longer plays that game. I personally never doubted a deal wouldn't be made. I would think a positive approach as opposed to a doomsday outlook would be a good strategy.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Metals USUALLY decline through spring and early summer, reversing back up in July/August.

R.

negative1

Silver Member
Silver Miner

I think the "sell in May" rule is out the window after last year. May turned out to be a launching point.

G chart.jpg

:2 thumbs up:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Metals USUALLY decline through spring and early summer, reversing back up in July/August. R.
TRUE, but I would not consider this a usual period in time.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Lead is pretty cheap right now. Consider how expensive it will be when it turns into unobtanium.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Depends on exactly what you have to sell. I wouldn't sell silver in May, highest gold to silver ratio in history. As far as stocks and bonds, do what the FED does, they are dominate in all markets now. RE, art, classic cars, collectables - sell last year, nobody is buying.

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I cashed in most of my gold and silver chips to take profits a week ago. I hope for a bankster bash selloff by late June so I can redeploy the cash back into precious metals miners.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
There aren't any months of the year that I sell....but that's just me