• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

SO I found another 17,000

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I found another retirement account I had forgotten about. 17,000 grand in Transamerica before the hopsital sold. Should I roll it over int the current emplyer plan vangard that I don't trust much or into an older actual pension plan with a wood working Union plan when I was at a lumber mill? Currently I am set to get 395.00 a month from that pension becuase of the job losses of 2008.

Last edited:

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Of cash out early and pay off the family home?
I found myself in a similar situation as you. I found I had a pension from the meat cutters union which I was a member of in the early 1990s. By the time I found out of my eligibility and stated collecting my measly $250 mo I had accumulated almost $14K in arrears payments. I was given the option of leaving most of it in the fund or take the entire arrears amount. I chose the latter and will pay the taxes. In the end I'll still get to keep and invest most of it. Better in my pocket than in theirs. Rolling it into another IRA wouldn't really do me much good as we have a bunch of those we'll use during retirement (for as long as we can before its stolen from us by the gov) and wanted the satisfaction of taking the payout!!

My situation might not be the same as yours and I'm sure your priories are different from mine. I just wanted to share my experience with you, not give you advice. :oriental:

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Buy me a present?

Or you could roll it over into a PM investment fund...or similar?

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Pay off bills; and put the rest into non-dollar tangible, fungible, liquificable assets.

May I recommend a little GLD?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
How many of these will it buy? 38, or thereabouts, according to my quick and sloppy math.
5D2EC188-1D1A-49F3-A3D7-5748E1F13C47.jpeg
AB442872-12CA-4ED4-89D5-23D865FC26B4.jpeg
FEB1A5A2-384D-438D-98A7-E46A8A93AF65.jpeg
B360BECB-1205-47E4-9797-37BBB2107AB9.jpeg

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I found another retirement account I had forgotten about. 17,000 grand in Transamerica before the hopsital sold. Should I roll it over int the current emplyer plan vangard that I don't trust much or into an older actual pension plan with a wood working Union plan when I was at a lumber mill? Currently I am set to get 395.00 a month from that pension becuase of the job losses of 2008.
Looks like you could get right at ten of these at APMEX.
1634740602565.png

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Or, Coin Exchange will sell you about 142 rolls of full date Mercury dimes on eBay, shipped free, if they have that many. I’ve had very good experiences from those folks, on multiple occasions. $238 for two rolls, right now.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
The legendary "3 legged stool" for retirement still holds up... even if there are lots of "other options", better to not have "all of your eggs in one basket"...

- Social security
- Personal (or job) retirement fund / IRAs / stocks & bonds
- Personal investments (real-estate / PMs / collectors' items / family business etc...)

If any "debt", a low interest rate and no penalties for early repayment...
NEVER "BUY ON MARGIN"...

EDIT = NEVER "CO-SIGN" ON SOMEBODY ELSE'S LOAN...

Last edited:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I’ll take 38 gold sovereigns anytime.
They go through the airline metal detector in a change purse without any "problem" since they're MUCH smaller than 1oz coins... same as 20 Franc coins...

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The legendary "3 legged stool" for retirement still holds up... even if there are lots of "other options", better to not have "all of your eggs in one basket"...

- Social security
- Personal investments (real-estate / PMs / collectors' items / family business etc...)

NEVER "BUY ON MARGIN"...
This is the first time I've seen this 3 legged stool definition and am pleased that I followed it without even knowing it was a 'thing' :2 thumbs up:

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
What about a tax free gold backed retirement account with Noble gold or that other one I cannot remember?

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
You stated that it was in an account related to a closed hospital. Is the account still in a 401k, or did the 401k terminate with the employer and the funds transferred into what is called a "safe harbor" IRA? If the latter, it is a low risk, low reward investment. Think a money market savings account rate of interest. Either way, you seem to know the options...you can roll it over to another retirement account (current employer plan or an IRA) or cash it out. Depending on your age, cashing out could carry the early withdrawal penalty. Either way, it is taxable.

Does the pension that you mentioned allow funds to be rolled into it? Most pension plans do not...

It gets down to if you are willing to suck up the penalty for cash out, or want to keep it tax sheltered. If you want to keep it tax sheltered, then it probably gets down to the investment options available in your current employer plan. An IRA would give you a lot more investment options. It would also be a place where you could roll other retirement accounts into and combine them over time.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
You stated that it was in an account related to a closed hospital. Is the account still in a 401k, or did the 401k terminate with the employer and the funds transferred into what is called a "safe harbor" IRA? If the latter, it is a low risk, low reward investment. Think a money market savings account rate of interest. Either way, you seem to know the options...you can roll it over to another retirement account (current employer plan or an IRA) or cash it out. Depending on your age, cashing out could carry the early withdrawal penalty. Either way, it is taxable.

Does the pension that you mentioned allow funds to be rolled into it? Most pension plans do not...

It gets down to if you are willing to suck up the penalty for cash out, or want to keep it tax sheltered. If you want to keep it tax sheltered, then it probably gets down to the investment options available in your current employer plan. An IRA would give you a lot more investment options. It would also be a place where you could roll other retirement accounts into and combine them over time.
Good stuff. I learned something from your post, thank you!

I worked for a healthcare organization for over decade and still have a 403b account that I'm told can't be rolled over. I'm past retirement age and would not incur any penalty (other than the tax burden) if should I decide to cash that 403b out.

Would you by chance be aware of other possible options when it comes to a 403b retirement account?

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Good stuff. I learned something from your post, thank you!

I worked for a healthcare organization for over decade and still have a 403b account that I'm told can't be rolled over. I'm past retirement age and would not incur any penalty (other than the tax burden) if should I decide to cash that 403b out.

Would you by chance be aware of other possible options when it comes to a 403b retirement account?

If it is a 403b and you have left employment with them, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to roll it over to another qualified plan. That is unusual. What was the reason they gave for not allowing that option?

Usual options are cash out, rollover, or leave it alone. Most plans allow partial cash distributions, taking smaller partial lump sum amounts as you need it. You can spread out your withdrawals over different tax years to ease the tax burden that way (as opposed to taking a large amount in one tax year, which could bump into higher tax brackets). Some plans allow installment payments such as setting up X amount per month (or quarterly) but not all plans allow that.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Uh, my son just informed me that the "thumbs-up emoticon" has become the "international Fuck You sign"... Generational changes sure do creep up on you!

(But "Gay Paree" is sure living up to its new "meaning", btw...)

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Not closed hospital it sold and we got a new retirmwnt fund, that one I just rolled over into the new employers plan. Then I got a mailing from the one from before the hospital sold reminding me of it. I don't want to be taxed and I also don't want to roll it over to as I don;t want all my eggs in one basket. I have to call the older pension plan to see if I can roll it over not sure I want to just yet but needs to see if it's an opton.

I may want a gold backed IRA and Noble gold can help with that but you have to have more then 12,000 or them to be able to help you. The one I just got a reminder on has 17,000 in it currently. No more contributions tho as I am not employed with what was Ascension Health. They sold to
L I F E P O I N T, anyone reading is looking for work never work for that WOKE POS company.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

- Social security

NEVER "BUY ON MARGIN"...

EDIT = NEVER "CO-SIGN" ON SOMEBODY ELSE'S LOAN...

My pussanal 3-legged stool is a tad simpler in design and construction:

!. Food
2. PM's
3. Firepower

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
or....................2 .50's plus ammo....................................................

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Two .50’s plus ammo would be a little tough to tote around, but great for hunkering down.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Nope... I am NOT cutting down my firepower!!
My poor supply for self defense
- pepper spray (hard to find, even outlawed in Switzerland - & "mace" outlawed everywhere...)
- crow bar
- cordless grinder
.... life in so-called "civilized EU"... with millions of savages arriving yearly, ready to slit your throat...

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
- pepper spray
- crow bar
- cordless grinder
.... life in so-called "civilized EU"... with millions of savages arriving yearly, ready to slit your throat...
Do you need me to ship you a couple of pistols Crunchy? :robber:

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
- pepper spray
- crow bar
- cordless grinder
God protect you and yours, Dacrunch.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Do you need me to ship you a couple of pistols Crunchy? :robber:
I wouldn't find ammo... nor the ingredients to "make my own"... haha!

Last week a Jihadist in France got arrested when he received shipment of a mail-order AK-47 from the US... So they're looking at those packages more than ivermectin from India...

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't find ammo... nor the ingredients to "make my own"... haha!

Last week a Jihadist in France got arrested when he received shipment of a mail-order AK-47 from the US... So they're looking at those packages more than ivermectin from India...

I wuz gonna show you how to make a toe-popper, but if you cannot get bullets of any kind... we will have to go to more basic stuff

Start with a jar of potassium permanganate. Supermarkets everywhere. Used in water filtration systems.

1634828777816.png

While you are in the soopermarket, get a bottle of glycerin hand lotion:

1634828991289.png

Go to the hardware store for the wrap-up
:
To make an effective grenade, buy a pound of 1/2" steel nuts, and a 2" PVC pipe with threaded ends. Leave one end open.

Pour all the Potassium permanganate into the PVC pipe, dump in the nuts, and with your hand on the open end, tilt back and forth to get the powder and steel all mixed.

When you are ready for a grenade with a 12-15 second "fuse" length... Quickly pour in all the hand lotion and screw the end cap on tight.

You've got about the same safe time to throw the tube as you would with a GI-issue grenade. !5' kill radius.

With kitchen supplies. Even in Switzerland.

Yer welcome.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score