• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Some With Histories of Mental Illness Petition to Get Their Gun Rights Back

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling

Yeah...let these misunderstood citizens out of mental hospitals. Could happen to any of us.

:smile:
On what grounds would you have denied him his 2nd amendment rights?

honu5050

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
its disturbing to see the American spirit being toyed with. if anyone thinks they can take it away their headed for a reckoning . happy 4th of july.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
No need in this thread about the mentally ill for any GIM members to personally self-identify.

:wavey:

(*snork*)

Nah. I'd do it again... Oh, wait, that means I'm STILL nuts. :biggrin:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Interesting. Perhaps you are unaware that any veteran convicted of a felony are ineligible for V.A. benefits. 14 years in prison sure sounds like a felony conviction. And a 72 year old Korean Vet? Perhaps you are unaware that the Korean War was from 1950 - 'til 1953, or when someone who is 72 today, was 11 at the start of it and 14 at the end of it. Of course he could have served in Korea long after the war, but then "flashbacks" about what??? But then that would be a moot point, as again Felons lose all V.A. benefits.
Word for word spot on.

I was doing the arithmetic, too. Considering MY *gasp* advanced age... and Korea was OVER for ten years when I wuz in as a teenager.

The guy is not only doing the scam shuffle, but he violating a wholly different law: The Stolen Valor law.

"That (claiming vet status falsely) is a federal misdemeanor for Stolen Valor. It makes it a federal misdemeanor offense to falsely represent oneself as having received any U.S. military decoration or medal."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2005

honu5050

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
that's not something I needed to see. 1- 2 or 3. I ended up with a Chinese flag 2 yr's ago and came unglued. the rest I don't even care to know !

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Awright. YAY. HOO HAH.

It is a quiet moanin' here in the land of Unca.

Went out to git the paper, and the whole fargin WORLD reeks of gunpowder. Lovely smell! :D We touched my cannon off agin and agin. (I have a cannon that's been in my fambly for over 200 years...)

Before I runned outa gunpowder, six people I had never even met before got to fire my kaboomer. Glorious fun. There was a really fine low-mileage honey (new girlfriend of a young guy who lives on my morning huffenpuf route.)

At first, she was very shy, and would not even come onto my spread. But before the day was out, she was LOADING the cannon! Fired it twicet. And then, she got really brave and went forward of it****

****Natch, you don't stand DIRECTLY in front of it, but forward of the muzzle about fifty feet and off to the side a little. Goddamn near knocked her flat. She was dancin' around looking adorable and shouting how you could FEEL the blast. Got her boyfriend to do an "out front". Me too.

The Fabled PC (my long-sufferin' wifelet) will NOT go up forward. She did that thirty years ago, and won't do it agin. *****. :)

Now, (*groan*) today I gotta clean the thing. That is a hard, messy job. Oh well... worf it!

On the good side, the whole peacock fambly has awreddy been here for breakfast, along with the bunny rabbits and squirrels and woodpeckers and dove and cardinals and blue jays, so I guess the local wildlife adapted.

Sport

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
There are two separate issues here, the mental health one and the gun ownership issue. My problem with using the mental health to limit gun ownership goes back to the question of what is the limit? It is easy to setup the arguments of why or why not and use examples, but no one ever says here is the limit. Everyone could probably be diagnosed with some sort of mental defect. And where does it stop from here? Will you then say that they can't own vehicles? Also, who judges whether they are mentally ill or not?

Etheostoma

Slippery slope. Millions of Americans are on antidepressants. Are they mentally ill? Millions of people with ADD.

Just another way to grab the guns from decent people. Meanwhile the fellows who hold there handguns sideways will always have them.

Book

Banned
Slippery slope...Just another way to grab the guns from decent people...
I imagine the mentally ill can be decent people but that doesn't mean we want them strolling around with a loaded gun.

:smile:

notasockpuppet

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
So, assuming these "youths" did nothing wrong, why was he not "dealt with" when he opened fire allegedly unprovoked? ADW is a malum in se crime.

If he's "been this way" since childhood without much of an incident besides the above, it appears the idea that he is a walking time bomb is hyperbole.
I hate it when I agree with Not Sure...but I do somewhat on this particular issue. How many Vets that have been diagnosed with PTSD would then NEVER be able to own a gun?
Now, to agree with Book, which I also hate. I think if someone has been found not-guilty by reason of insanity they should be treated like a felon in regards to gun rights. They may be already, for all I know. But Insanity Plea for a felony should = no gun.

Last edited:

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
I hate it when I agree with Not Sure...but I do somewhat on this particular issue. How many Vets that have been diagnosed with PTSD would then NEVER be able to own a gun?
Now, to agree with Book, which I also hate. I think if someone has been found not-guilty by reason of insanity they should be treated like a felon in regards to gun rights. They may be already, for all I know. But Insanity Plea for a felony should = no gun.
If you plea insanity for a felony, you still get locked up in a facility. While you're locked up, you can't have a gun. But I think you should only be denied that right while you're serving time. After you pay your dues, you should not be denied any of your rights.

In other words, convicted felons should be allowed to own guns, just like any other citizen, after they have completed their sentence.

Unclad Lad

Rhodium Imam
Gold Chaser
I'm talking about the small number of people, relative the population, who become so bad that the court puts them in a locked ward for 72 hours.

I agree. The exact kind who should never possess firearms.
It's actually a pretty difficult process to get someone committed, since it's such a breach of civil rights. Note that this is very different than being held by the police "for observation", which has a much lower standard. You have to be really crazy or really, really high to get it. Saying "I feel like harming myself or/and others" will get you sent in too, but if you agree to go, it isn't involuntary.

notasockpuppet

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
If you plea insanity for a felony, you still get locked up in a facility. While you're locked up, you can't have a gun. But I think you should only be denied that right while you're serving time. After you pay your dues, you should not be denied any of your rights.

In other words, convicted felons should be allowed to own guns, just like any other citizen, after they have completed their sentence.
I think they should have restrictions, repeat offenders are an all too common occurrence. But maybe slap a timeframe on it, say 5 years and you can own a gun. I think some states already do this, allowing felons to own one gun to hunt with or something like that.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
I think they should have restrictions, repeat offenders are an all too common occurrence. But maybe slap a timeframe on it, say 5 years and you can own a gun. I think some states already do this, allowing felons to own one gun to hunt with or something like that.
That's fine too if it is part of the sentence. We know that jail doesn't always "rehabililtate" people and often times criminals do repeat their crimes or turn right back to the criminal lifedtyle they lived prior to getting caught and thrown in prison. If a judge/jury decides that somebody should serve 10 years in prison and then another 5 years of probation after they are released, during which time they can not own a firearm, I am fine with that.

I am only opposed to a general ban on firearm ownership for anyone who has been convicted of a crime.

Why would you hate agreeing with me or Book? Hate, especially without cause, is detrimental to your health.

"Not guilty by reason of insanity" means they are likely having an indefinite stay in the loony bin, which, as I've said, should be one of the few exceptions where someone does not get access to their guns.

If a judge/jury decides that somebody should serve 10 years in prison and then another 5 years of probation after they are released, during which time they can not own a firearm, I am fine with that.
I'm done giving any credence or respect to juries (I've been done with "judges" for a long time). In an age where you can slaughter your 2-year old and then cover it up and still get off, while good people are put in a cage for years for ingesting an "illegal" substance or having the "wrong" features on a firearm, I can no longer "believe in" such a system.

Maybe I'm having PTSD from the Anthony trial.

honu5050

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
the financiers have a plan & in our time & with their media when a situation occurs they run with it. it takes money to move things even more so the collective frustration of the populace to agree on bullsh!t. 9/11 was TPTB big move. aint bout guns but the programing they have been pushing. of course most don't buy it but others lap it up the gun part is pushed as all of the mumbo jumbo to capture new minds. people aint perfect . fortunately neither are the financiers.

notasockpuppet

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Why would you hate agreeing with me or Book? Hate, especially without cause, is detrimental to your health.

"Not guilty by reason of insanity" means they are likely having an indefinite stay in the loony bin, which, as I've said, should be one of the few exceptions where someone does not get access to their guns.
I don't REALLY hate it, it's just a figure of speach, since I generally disagree with most of what you guys say.