• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Sounds.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Thanx Aurumag. I think there's some good homeopathic (dietary) supplements that can mitigate the debilitating effects caused by tinnitus. Since introducing raw sunflower seeds, Spinach, and avocados in my diet, the severity of the tinnitus has diminished to a tolerable level.

I still have it (tinnitus), but the volume/intensity has gone way down, to the point where ambient noise mostly cancels out the ringing noises and its almost unnoticeable. And the number of notes I was hearing has gone down as well. Definitely an improvement.

Its my own damn fault. Playing music in a loud rock band, riding the H-D and flying a C-172 Skyhawk with little or no hearing protection will take its toll.

We ultimately get what we deserve, I suppose.

I didn't hear a word you typed!

I'm pleased to see that you have done your diligence as regards your own health.

I keep shooting muffs in my workbag, and I check dB levels for every indoor gig of more than 10 minutes duration, and some rooms I won't even enter without the muffs.

I still enjoy very loud music now and again, and only when my wife is away from the house.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well I am glad to report it is 3:28am and a thunder boomer just rolled through from 3:10 on. We have rain for the first time in 3 months and why yes those crickets were outside because all I hear is wind and rain now.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I like to sleep when it is storming pretty bad outside, just something about that noise and the thunder.

I even have apps on my phone to mimic it.
I had a tin roof patio years ago & the hard rain was so loud, I would sit outside & just enjoy it.
I called it a brain massage.

I wished I had one now to drown out the humming & buzzing in my ears.

RealJack

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The private gun range where cops come to fire off their armory of full auto's.
The USN bombing range about 10 miles away that occasionally shake the window panes.
Black helicopters thumping overhead. Jets screaming. Sirens wailing. Ok, j/k about the sirens...
MC Harleys and Jap crotch rockets that use the road out front to test their limits.
Roofers next door banging out a new roof.
Mostly at night I can only hear the a/c blasting away.
The neighbor incessantly mowing.
Thunderstorms and massive rain beating down on the carport.
But sometimes the frogs and insects get so loud they drown out most of the noises listed above.

That's when I say to myself, "yeah, nothing like living out in the country in Florida." :)

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
So I hered three dayz ago my first geese. And, for the last three days I get to hear them .....it is way cool.... sounds like a scratchy hail storm on the tin roof of the tractor cave....Yeah I know what ur thinking but I tell ya! Cave men should have lived longer, just so they could hear what I hear....it's cool....

Edit: black birds...dagnabit.....don't k ow....I hate this auto correct....I REALLY do....

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Elk bugling at 50 yds while watching a 6x6 is right enchanting[not hunting, just cow checking]. Add to that geese of every description we got up here and sandhill cranes whooping it up and you got a symphony that is free and great.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The sound of a well tuned sickle mower is sure better than the whack, whack, whack of one that isn't.

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
Seals slapping tail chasing salmon...... the low rumble of the ferry passing through the channel....an eagle call while hunting....a float plane making its way to an outer island. A few of the sounds of the San Juan archipelago.

G18 Growler from Whidbey NAS, 4 prop sub hunter, Coast guard bell jet Ranger, Med Flight chopper.....all in a day.

Over the years out here have been hearing on occasion deep distant rumbles as if a far away storm or bombing practice out in the deep. Still can't figure that one out.Whales humping? Hmmmm..

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Seals slapping tail chasing salmon...... the low rumble of the ferry passing through the channel....an eagle call while hunting....a float plane making its way to an outer island. A few of the sounds of the San Juan archipelago.

G18 Growler from Whidbey NAS, 4 prop sub hunter, Coast guard bell jet Ranger, Med Flight chopper.....all in a day.

Over the years out here have been hearing on occasion deep distant rumbles as if a far away storm or bombing practice out in the deep. Still can't figure that one out.Whales humping? Hmmmm..
Dang them is sounds I ain't never heard. The seals would be way cooooooooool to me.

WhyKnow

Thnk Tank
Gold Chaser
REO54, i Had a sound like that and finally found out it was a sand cliff slumping into the river bar. You might have that.

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
REO54, i Had a sound like that and finally found out it was a sand cliff slumping into the river bar. You might have that.
There aren't any locations of that type geology around the Puget Sound to produce that sound, let alone for a 1/2 hr or more. I always thought it was the Navy doing something. We have Bangor sub base out here, Whidbey NAS & Bremerton Naval yards and such, but really I have no idea as to what yet.p

We also have owls out here that fun to listen too when they are "talking" in the evening.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Totally interesting.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Right now:
Ticking of a clock
Rocking chair rhythmic creaking
Very faint neighborhood din/occasional car going by through the double pane windows
Very occasional faucet drip from the kitchen
"Sound of silence" in my head

R.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Sometimes my wife can smell the dutch oven at night, but she usually hears it first.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The music of cattle bawling is cool. This time of year weaning is taking place and you can tell who is working cows by the sound of herds singing up to 10 miles away[weather conditions play a big part here]. Always says the snow is coming soon.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
[video]https://youtu.be/k9IjJsC0CHU[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/80SPiNSSMZ4[/video]

As usual I have no idea what I'm doing but there should be the sounds I heard for a couple hours tonite[only a few seconds each on the tube].

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Spent the day 3 hours North and the sounds that make that kinda trip worthwhile are beaver tails slapping the water, loons talking, deer feet clacking as they cross the bridge, a bear snuffling as he wanted to cross the bridge, squirrels chattering, a mink hissing and birds either honking, quacking, hooting, squeaking and peeping. Oh yeah an elk bugling off in the distance.

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
Spent the day 3 hours North and the sounds that make that kinda trip worthwhile are beaver tails slapping the water, loons talking, deer feet clacking as they cross the bridge, a bear snuffling as he wanted to cross the bridge, squirrels chattering, a mink hissing and birds either honking, quacking, hooting, squeaking and peeping. Oh yeah an elk bugling off in the distance.
And then at night I bet you hear the coyotes singing......good stuff.....

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This morning I got up before the sun and the world was alive outside the house. Robins are still here and still the first bird singing. The geese are coming down and the squack of the speckle belly, squeal of the snow goose and honk of the Canada goose makes them so distinguishable that it's like you can see each breed. Magpies chatting back and forth before they go looking for breaky is always cool. A cow maybe 2 miles West seems to have misplaced her calf[or it was out on an all nighter like my kid] was bawling for half an hour. Big owl hooter was hooting his good night[or good day]. Wind started to pick up which got the leaves that are turning to make a rattling noise I can hear for only a short time before they hit the ground. Then kinda/sorta to my amazement a honey bee came to say good morning as it hummed in the flower pot. All of a sudden all this serenity was crushed by the sound of my new puppy squealing in pain and fear as he had wandered way to near the mother cats flock of kittens[Let me tell you guys that I damb near croaked from laughter as he made his way for safer areas.LOL

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not one of you have mentioned the sweet ploink sound of a canning jar sealing.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I forgot about this thread. Good timing to resurrect it. Wednesday night while I enjoyed a fire I could hear a barred owl hooting the entire time and for a while I could hear 3 distinct separate barred owls hooting from slightly different directions. I found it interesting that they each had their own tone. Last night I got to hear coyotes howling while I was falling asleep.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The sound of the wind through an eagles wings when he fly 30 feet over you. or the sound of a big flock of bluegill working the dekes.

BP

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Having spent much of the last two months in the outdoors I soooooo love a few more sounds came to my ears.
The rat a tat tat of a wood pecker looking for dinner.
The creak of snow under something elses foot.
Crash of a tree or three that may not make a sound if I wasn't there.
Ckickadee[repeated a 1000 times.
The sound of a perfect howl from a home made howler.
The sounds of gunshots in a 360 degree circle that make you wonder if someone else shot your quarry.
The puck puck puck or a 300 6 cylinder motor starting at -37F when the newer vehicles make no such sound.
The mewing, whistling, crunching of 250 elk walking by at 100yds.[Guess I may not really want to shoot one]

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The pat, pat, pat of a skipping rock on a still pond.
They make more of a tink tink tink here this time of year.
It is fun when the ice is just the right thickness to make a nice sound effect where each ding reverberates as it lowers in pitch almost sounds like a science fiction laser weapon. When I was a kid we sent many pebbles to the other side of a pond when the ice was just right for that.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
^I'm gonna have to try that one day.

R.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
first off...when i sleep in the house i have a cocoon of insulation 3' in the roof and 1' in the walls so the only sound that penetrates the bedroom has to come through the tripple pane window glass and cellular shades.......so ......even thunderstorms and hail make no sound unless they shake the building or beat on the glass...we have our cell phones and weather alert radios so if a storm is coming we get notification...

Buttttttttt.....outside this time of year (at night) its Peeper Frogs...Bull frogs...cicadas...owls.....yotes....snort wheeze of deer......coons chattering/fighting....whipoorwills......occasionally a Cat scream (panther/bobcat).......
Where does sound go when it dies???

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
They make more of a tink tink tink here this time of year.
I see you are into the stear craziness. When I was up near Glasgow montana I just loved them fish tanks people had and I think I was just drawn to them like a moth because of the light. Plus the fish moved which was a mild form of entertainment.

Speaking of iced ponds, I emptied quite a few rounds straight down into one and never cracked the ice. .44 mag might be all a powerful but the ice could take more than the Dan Wesson could give.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Good question "where does sound go when it dies?" Light dies when it gets wrapped up in our visual receptors and even our gravity. But I myself can conclusively say, proudly I might add, sound or interpretive words die when they meet the black hole of my brain also known as understanding.

Yep, nothing gets out of that thing, in fact some ppl say the wind whistles through these ears .... if they only knew.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
A sound that makes me smile everytime is the wife screaming,"You ate all the Fn Butter tarts".

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Steam whistles large and small. Single bell or chime. It's a rare treat for most. But for those in my zip code, not so much. I see to it.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
^ There's nothing like the song of a Coast Daylight steam whistle in the distance. Transports me instantly back to a better happier time and place I've never been.

R.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Was at the lake & a flock of geese flew overhead.......... silence with the flap flap flap of their wings.......... it was cool as they were only 20 ft off the ground.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
dec 22, 2016 I had good hearing and poof it is gone now, left ear is under water. In fact plug my right ear with my finger and all I hear is Charlie Browns teacher. Man oh man I f'n jinxed myself I did. I am thinking the right ear is going to go soon, I sure hope not.

I have been looking online and all I have found is the giinko stuff.

I was visiting the doctor with my girlfriend and that guy was saying it is salt that gets in the ear and don't get flushed out anymore that does this Tinnitus thing, and right after her visit boom there goes my hearing. That has been three moths ago.