• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Southwest Airlines is Having a Complete Meltdown as Hundreds of Flights Delayed or Canceled in Mass ‘Sickout’

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Agreed. I was using the term “strike” loosely. As an outsider it’s difficult to know exactly what the situation is. I had read rumors of the Jacksonville ATCs walking out. If they are just burning sick leave, it seems like that should have easily been anticipated by management when they decided to make the rule that would ostracize a substantial portion of their workforce.
Ever since PATCO v Reagan Traffic Controllers "Officially" do not organize a strike. Now what each individual does when he gets sick is his own tactics.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Shut down the truckers next. No food and no one will go to work after that. Once shelves are bare the employees at the grocery stores can stay home as well.
Hell, Around here many items are getting sparce already.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Airlines are short of pilots as it is. If the rest of the pilots out there get to the point that the SWA pilots are then game on.

I for one, will not get the jab, EVER. I will most likely not ever step foot on a commercial airline ever again.

This country has gone to hell in a hand basket. What comes next has been brought on by a group of people that are hell bent on controlling our daily lives in every respect. I won't stand for it, and I won't take it sitting down.

Give me liberty of give me death.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
This country has gone to hell in a hand basket
My granddfather's favorite saying. And that was back in the '80s when he'd listen to the news.
You are still thought of Hugh Estridge, RIP with grandma.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.16.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.16.33 PM.png

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

Published August 22

Southwest Airlines to assist with relocating Afghan refugees in the US​

The airline said it will charter about four flights per day for the Department of Defense beginning on Monday​

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Be Brave... Do Something

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.22.39 PM.png

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.34.01 PM.png

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Flying is physiologically stressful. Altitude changes, plus the hours of constant vigilance and stress
I disagree with this as told by a commercial pilot friend of mine. Absent an emergency or totally nasty weather, the flying part is mostly boredom. The whole flight is automated and they're on the controls for at most a few minutes at takeoff and a few minutes at landing. The first officer programmed the flight computer and did the preflight. He says the only time he had peace was when the cockpit door closed. He retired a couple of years before the mandatory age because he was sick of the corporate politics. That's where the stress came from.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I disagree with this as told by a commercial pilot friend of mine. Absent an emergency or totally nasty weather, the flying part is mostly boredom. The whole flight is automated and they're on the controls for at most a few minutes at takeoff and a few minutes at landing. The first officer programmed the flight computer and did the preflight. He says the only time he had peace was when the cockpit door closed. He retired a couple of years before the mandatory age because he was sick of the corporate politics. That's where the stress came from.
I didn't say it wasn't boring.

Physiologically stressful. You're changing your environmental air pressure - cabins are pressurized, but not to sea level.

You're constantly vigilant. Like a sniper, say. Blink, and you miss something that could be critical.

Twenty-five years I was a locomotive engineer - except for the changes in altitude, it's the same. Things are going smoothly, your mind wanders or, late at night, you slip into semi-sleep (experienced hoggers learned how to avoid that) and right away things go nuts. You start a gentle downgrade, and you gain ten miles an hour in speed. The engine noise never changes; your only clue is your speedometer and ammeter. Or you get a hot box, smoking in your mirror. If you don't look back, you may not see it until the axle burns off and dumps your train off the rails.

I'm sure it's the same with flying, even more so. The only way you can't fall, is up.

Bored out of your mind but with so much that can go wrong. Autopilots can help, but vigilance is still required.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
If you want to see how a small jet is flown and extrapolate to a big jet.... it's all computerized.

Here's Premier 1 Driver

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think I have a case coming on myself. Maybe Pfizer can make a vaccine for that.
There's some already out there but not made by Pfizer but Fiocchi & Winchester

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
If you want to see how a small jet is flown and extrapolate to a big jet.... it's all computerized.

Here's Premier 1 Driver

Remember US Airways 1549? Capt. Sullenberger? A successful landing on water, with the aircraft in one piece and floating long enough for all passengers to evacuate?

He wasn't relying on autopilots or computer programs. That's what I'm talking about. Things going from blah to WAAAHHHH! in minutes.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Things going from blah to WAAAHHHH! in minutes.
Yes, that happens occasionally. For most commercial pilots it never happens. My friend flew commercial for about 40 years and never lost an engine, for example.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Remember US Airways 1549? Capt. Sullenberger? A successful landing on water, with the aircraft in one piece and floating long enough for all passengers to evacuate?

He wasn't relying on autopilots or computer programs. That's what I'm talking about. Things going from blah to WAAAHHHH! in minutes.
Not arguing that flying isn't stress free... just pointing out how automatic, computerized it is. It's a very complicated machine.

That Daring Young Man with his Flying Machine landed on the Potomac in a very stressful situation. If not for his military training things might have turned out a lot different.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
just pointing out how automatic, computerized it is. It's a very complicated machine.
They sure are. I was on a cross country flight one time, and I ended up getting invited to the cockpit and ended up riding in the jumpseat for almost the whole flight. The pilots gave me a run down of all the bells and whistles. One of the things they told me was that the autopilot could not only fly the plane, but also land it and taxi to within 100' of the gate.
Seems to me it was a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment. More buttons, switches and levers in one place than I'd ever seen before, and they have to know in an instant what each and every one of 'em does.
They got my respect, but it's probably not a job I would want.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
They sure are. I was on a cross country flight one time, and I ended up getting invited to the cockpit and ended up riding in the jumpseat for almost the whole flight. The pilots gave me a run down of all the bells and whistles. One of the things they told me was that the autopilot could not only fly the plane, but also land it and taxi to within 100' of the gate.
Seems to me it was a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment. More buttons, switches and levers in one place than I'd ever seen before, and they have to know in an instant what each and every one of 'em does.
They got my respect, but it's probably not a job I would want.
I would think it would result in rusty skills, when they're suddenly needed. Unless they all got a lot of simulator time or training time with the AI turned off.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
View attachment 228279

View attachment 228277
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

Published August 22

The airline said it will charter about four flights per day for the Department of Defense beginning on Monday​

Destroy that airline.

And hang the traitor for his treason.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
We need this to happen across all airlines and then spread to all industries across the US.
Shut down the truckers next. No food and no one will go to work after that. Once shelves are bare the employees at the grocery stores can stay home as well. These fuckers been shoving their shit down our throats, time to make them feel it too.
(*snork*) I completely agree. But for this Fambly, it is a mixed bag, no error:

This righteous action is giving Scooter a PITA: He has his SouthWest round-trip ticket to come back to Floriduh to wrap up some legal crapola. And the ticket prolly ain't even good for toilet paper going either way. (*sigh*) Gotta break eggs...

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
View attachment 228279

View attachment 228277
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

Published August 22

According the Chicago Times SW Airlines would have lost over a BILLION dollars last year if it were not for FEDERAL COVID RELIEF Money.
Now it is Payback Time. .Gov whispers "jump" SW Air yells "How High" on the way up.
OBTW: .Gov gave $250 BILLION dollars to support all the major airlines through WuFlu. There is a good chance we'll see more across the profession.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
yeah but... Can you do a Lomcovak in a Citabria?
My very first flight was in a Piper Cub of the "old style": It had no radio. It had no fuel gauge**. It had been built in 1938!! To land, you get in the pattern and wiggle your wings. Some guy in a tower will flash a green light, and you're in. To fly straight and level, you must have one inch of dirt visible over the nose, and one foot of air under the ends of the wings. It din' stall until 33mph. Landed at car-parking speed.

OH. And to start the engine, you pumped the fuel throttle until it leaked down the dashboard (TINS). Then you turned on the magneto, and screwed your heels into the pathetic brakes while some trusting ass spins the prop. Fun plane. Another "OH": The little door would flop down open because the little barrel-slot bolt would vibrate out of position. Scared the crap outa me first time.

**The fuel gauge was a coat hanger on a cork float on top of the engine (HA!) cowling. I never got to sit in the front seat. But I sure as hell barfed out the back seat. <-- BTW: To barf outside an airplane is a penetrating experience. The vacuum caused by your head causes the barf to cover you like paint.

Like a Citabria, the Piper Cub is a tail-dragger. ANYONE who has flown a tail-dragger has done a ground loop. Himself included.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You aren't kidding anyone, walter, you solo'ed in the Icarus 003
I never soloed in the Rinky-dink. I'll never forget the day Crash Craddock (my instructor) had me land short in the Cessna 152. When the plane stopped rolling, he opened the door and got out onto the runway.

He looked up at me and said, take off straight from where you are, circle around in the pattern, and land.

Well... it was the first INSTANT of my life that I was ALONE in a plane... with the fargin motor running. :oops: So I showered down, and got a huge surprise: Without my 200lb destructor on board, the fargin Spam Can JUMPED into the air in about 200 feet. It made me grin like I'd just had a fresh lobotomy. In no time I was on the downwind leg at the prescribed 1000', and that was when it hit me.

I was all alone in a plane 1000' feet up. I had to let out a primal scream. IIRC, I screamed "WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING UP HERE IN AN AIRPLANE??"

Came in and found out something else about the Spam Can: If you are alone in it, it is so easy to land you could honestly just crank the trim wheel back, shut the engine off... and the fargin plane would assume the right stance and come in and land itself. You would still be required to steer it, though. Anyway, a perfect landing (my first solo landing) occurred, and they cut my shirt tail off and tacked it on the wall.

A week later, I got a Chevron: I was the first guy to rent the plane since an overhaul, and I taxied out, took off, and was gonna do a touch-and-go. There I was on the downwind leg at 1000' feet again...

...And suddenly, the engine froze. Just fargin stopped. Talk about a quiet flight! I called in an emergency priority landing, brought the Spam Can around... landed with juust enuf speed left to successfully coast-taxi to the first turnoff.

They put a Chevron on my pinned shirt tail. Of the hundreds of shirt tails, only one other had a Chevron. :beer:cool:

Oh. They found the problem. Fixed it in ten seconds.

a real mechanic.jpg

I never got to this guy's level ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But here is Himself in my absolute fave plane: Piper Warrior <-- I'd give my left nut and a year in Hell to be able to own one. They get mileage comparable to automobiles. Only ya doan have no roads you gotta stay on.

WALTPLAN.JPG

Last edited:

bulloncoins

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They just said it was an I T problem about how large the company has become....it had nothing to do with any kind of employee interruption. That's when you know you are on the right path when you force them to come out on the TV and lie to your face. An I T systems problem ... it took them a day to come up with that excuse?

Evl Bnkr

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
They just said it was an I T problem about how large the company has become....it had nothing to do with any kind of employee interruption. That's when you know you are on the right path when you force them to come out on the TV and lie to your face. An I T systems problem ... it took them a day to come up with that excuse?
sounds more like an ID10T problem - at the Sr. Executive/BOD level...

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would think it would result in rusty skills, when they're suddenly needed. Unless they all got a lot of simulator time or training time with the AI turned off.
That's exactly what it is. Also, commercial pilots are only certified for one type of plane at a time. Ie: so they get to know that type very well.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Have a Southwest "reservation" to go rock climbing in Arizona at the end of the month. I paid for it knowing full well I might have to eat it, but I figured it would be a lockdown or something.

Scorpio

для продажи слегка подержанный
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
happy to report,

CEO states it is transitory and no big deal,
all to be resolved asap and has nothing to do with pilot protests, etc

they had 'planes out of position'
then there was the weather thingy,
and of course a scheduling thingy,

not to worry though, we got this

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Let this be a lesson to us all.

The New Normal has arrived. We're not going to have peace, be left alone, or be free of ever-growing oppression, as long as Woketards like this jag-off have power, control corporations, have access to lying mediuh. It's now obvious why he's doing what he's doing - he's in with the WEF, and to burnish his creds, he has to order his help to be poisoned.

There is NO way to work with such a loon. I see now the thought process - Southwest employees recognize that the company they had, is gone; and losing the job is, in the end, not that great a loss. The company is gone; might as well go out fighting.

To which, I say, HEAR, HEAR.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The Southwest CEO is obviously a mega commie. So, lets get this straight. They are going to ignore an actual State EO (they are based in Dallas I think it was) and they are enforcing a vaporware Xiden mandate that doesn't really exsist.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines will ignore a Texas Executive Order prohibiting any entity from imposing Covid-19 vaccine mandates on employees or customers.

Instead, the beleaguered airline will comply with a yet-to-be issued Biden federal mandate which requires that government employees and contractors get vaccinated, according to CEO Gary Kelly in a Tuesday interview with CNBC.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
After the CEO came out and said it wasn’t about the vaccine mandate, a few pilots visually begged to differ

7E057A1B-9FBC-4296-9F5B-3E19E23A0683.jpeg

Alton

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Tell them to rent a car for the trip.
They're already looking into it. I think they might swing through Minnesota and Iowa to visit cousins too.