• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Stephen Hawking, dies aged 76

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The Guardian

Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76.

His family released a statement in the early hours of Wednesday morning confirming his death at his home in Cambridge.

Hawking’s children, Lucy, Robert and Tim said in a statement: “We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

“He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years. His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.

Now he will finally find out how it all works
BF

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I'll be interested to see how they write this in on TBBT

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Given his illness, it's amazing he lived as long as he did. His body finally just gave out.

RIP Professor Hawking.

He had a great sense of humor. This was classic!:

Last edited:

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I always thought he was an alien.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Not that life isn't sacred, it is and human life is at the top
however

I've always been intrigued how a frail, withered, diseased body ever became the token champion for anything, let alone science?

Even the fact that his body was hooked up to a breathing machine, wasn't very impressive, humane? yes, impressive? no, and the fact he had another machine do his talking for him, I never once saw his hand move or twitch or do anything, it never moved from anything I ever saw, and the talking computer was teaching me about theorhetorical science while I was to believe it was coming from the cripple in the chair?

Steven Hawkin died when his body gave out but he was kept alive for purposes unknown, maybe even just to say: Because we could IDK

But hero? Intellectual? IDK about any of that
A machine can do the same thing but requires no urine bag which requires a staff which requires an income stream which requires a production company

RIP Steven
They haven't gotten everything from you that they could, either, just wait for the RIP Mugs

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
His eyes did they typing and the words followed when he was done. When it came out I actually purchased his book, brand new. I would be interested what Lenard Susskind has to say about Hawking as they did get into a argument which Lenard says he won though it took years.

Had a friend who's daughter had that ALS, she made it to 12-13.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I did love his great sense of humor. For him, communicating anything was quite tedious and burdensome. To use his time and efforts to communicate anything amusing makes it especially noteworthy and appreciated.

According to most folks he was incredibly brilliant as well. I can't speak to that because- well I'm not- so most of his assertions were out of the range of my interest and way, way over my head. But I can't help but think his labored communication had a lot to do with the peoples' perception of his brilliance. All of his precious words were by necessity, thoroughly considered and deliberated before and while committing them to the record. There was simply no time or energy for useless, unimportant jibber-jabber. In that sense we could all observe and learn from him.

Rest in peace...

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
There's a fairly decent write up of his life in the article I linked to in the OP

BF

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Though I have some sympathy for his family and colleagues that are mourning his loss; I was not a fan of his or the whole culture where very intelligent people veer off into impractical, resource intensive research such as exemplified by C.E.R.N.. Instead brilliant physicists would hopefully lend their brain power to anti-war and political activism to make society better: Not diverge into these haughty intellectual pursuits that tend to be self-serving and self-aggrandizing. There are too many of these supposedly brainy leaders, exemplified in the movie "Good Will Hunting" where atrocious behavior, poor character and warped lifestyles get trumped by a brilliant mathematical mind. A sound mind in a sound body should be the objective for everyone, and I cannot help but believe that if the body is unsound the mind cannot be top rate; they require each other for good function

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
So what did Hawking do to improve anything in humanity? Just asking. Wrote books about cosmology that can neither be proven nor disproven. Not that it isn't interesting but it all seems terribly impractical. Guess I don't know enough about his work to form much of an opinion I just don't know of anything he really did.
Did he come up with anything that improved lives?

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Though I have some sympathy for his family and colleagues that are mourning his loss; I was not a fan of his or the whole culture where very intelligent people veer off into impractical, resource intensive research such as exemplified by C.E.R.N.. Instead brilliant physicists would hopefully lend their brain power to anti-war and political activism to make society better: Not diverge into these haughty intellectual pursuits that tend to be self-serving and self-aggrandizing. There are too many of these supposedly brainy leaders, exemplified in the movie "Good Will Hunting" where atrocious behavior, poor character and warped lifestyles get trumped by a brilliant mathematical mind. A sound mind in a sound body should be the objective for everyone, and I cannot help but believe that if the body is unsound the mind cannot be top rate; they require each other for good function
It was probably better he stayed out of politics. I don’t think he said anything political and people still call him liberal.

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
So what did Hawking do to improve anything in humanity? Just asking. Wrote books about cosmology that can neither be proven nor disproven. Not that it isn't interesting but it all seems terribly impractical. Guess I don't know enough about his work to form much of an opinion I just don't know of anything he really did.
Did he come up with anything that improved lives?
He got laid. I don't want to disrespect the dead, but I read Hawkings in college and without that voice synthesizer making him sound like some kind of detached genius, his writings were very generic.

Of course he had humor and charm. He was a horny dude trapped in a crippled body and found a way to procreate. I will give him credit for that much. No small feat, as a dude who wants to procreate will find a way.

"The universe is unbound" in my best robotic voice, "now lets see if those panties are?"

Sorry, no disrespect, but I just can't say nothing when I have actually studied his 'works'.

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Well , one thing is for sure, as he was an avowed atheist, he now knows the answer to the question "Is there a God of the universe?".