• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Store shelves keep getting lower and lower

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
they've always got meat marked down.
I do all my "fresh meat' buying in the discount section. No Albertsons here but every Kroger here has a Reduce Meat Bin. I buy there.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I do all my "fresh meat' buying in the discount section. No Albertsons here but every Kroger here has a Reduce Meat Bin. I buy there.
I look there all the time, but not much usually.
I had a salad yesterday for dinner, had to finish up the week old lettuce, throw in half a Ziploc bag of black olives from the pizza made a few days ago, tomatos and green onion from the garden.
Zesty Italian dressing and a full belly on the cheap.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
OBTW Members, Check your Kroger or Kroger affiliates fliers/ads Cincinnati Region ( LEX) has BOGO Pork Ribs this weekend it may be wide spread, IDK.
Pay for the the most expensive and an equal of lesser rack is FREE.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
How do you manage that? Are you growing all your food, or do you buy some in small markets?

How do you manage that? Are you growing all your food, or do you buy some in small markets?
Local suppliers or farmers market.

I am friends with a guy who fishes in Alaska 3 months out of the year and brings back thousands of pounds of fish. I buy Salmon from him. I get all my beef, chicken, raw milk and butter from a local farm. I get my eggs from somebody else locally. I get all my fruits and veggies from the farmers market. I get bread from a local company and I get various other items I need from the farmers market (things like duck fat, chocolate, soap, coffee, sauerkraut, pickles, honey, etc).

I buy NOTHING at the grocery store.

My diet is primarily beef, fish, butter and eggs. Everything else is secondary to that.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Local suppliers or farmers market.

I am friends with a guy who fishes in Alaska 3 months out of the year and brings back thousands of pounds of fish. I buy Salmon from him. I get all my beef, chicken, raw milk and butter from a local farm. I get my eggs from somebody else locally. I get all my fruits and veggies from the farmers market. I get bread from a local company and I get various other items I need from the farmers market (things like duck fat, chocolate, soap, coffee, sauerkraut, pickles, honey, etc).

I buy NOTHING at the grocery store.

My diet is primarily beef, fish, butter and eggs. Everything else is secondary to that.

Very, very cool.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Latest contrived shortage:

DISTILLED WATER.

I use a lot of it. Both a CPAP machine and twice-a-day sinus rinses, a proven Coof preventative. I can use "purified" water in the CPAP - although the chamber will get mineral buildup, just not as fast as with tap water - but, washing your sinuses with anything but pure water is a no-no.

And all the stores I've been to...grocery, Wally World, drug chains - all sold out. Wally World and WinCo, the food warehouse, have taken out the distilled-water shelving.

Whassup with THAT? Is this like NAC, taking away ANYTHING that's useful in preventing the Fow Chee Crud?
I use it for coffee because it makes the best coffee. I did not know people needed it for their CPAP machines. Ill switch over to drinking water instead.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Latest contrived shortage:

DISTILLED WATER.

I use a lot of it. Both a CPAP machine and twice-a-day sinus rinses, a proven Coof preventative. I can use "purified" water in the CPAP - although the chamber will get mineral buildup, just not as fast as with tap water - but, washing your sinuses with anything but pure water is a no-no.

And all the stores I've been to...grocery, Wally World, drug chains - all sold out. Wally World and WinCo, the food warehouse, have taken out the distilled-water shelving.

Whassup with THAT? Is this like NAC, taking away ANYTHING that's useful in preventing the Fow Chee Crud?
Bought alot of distilled water last year, as I use it in for the 50/50 mixture, when I add new antifreeze to radiators. I plan on flushing radiators (vehicles, tractor, etc) this year. Price for one gallon jug was $1.00 at DG, but now jumped to $1.15 (so far).

There was something else I was going to buy, but it was out of stock. Its back in stock, but price went up $14.00. I do not see this inflation ending soon. Like my dad says "keep your cupboards full".

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I also use distilled water for my CPAP...it has been available, but I have noticed the price jump as well. Grabbed a couple extra jugs the other day. I also noticed that the biscuits were back pretty well stocked.

Went to the nearby Sam's Club today. Most of the shelves, as well as the meat case, were pretty well stocked. A few odd items here and there that were out. The last time we were there, they didn't have much chicken. We will buy the bulk pack of chicken breasts when they are available. They finally had them back in stock. Not a bad price at $2.13 per pound...but they did have a limit of two per customer. So, two packages it was. You get about nine breast pieces in the pack...got them home and put the vacuum sealer to work. Stocked the freezer up a bit...
1648963449610.png

1648963476624.png

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I also use distilled water for my CPAP...it has been available, but I have noticed the price jump as well. Grabbed a couple extra jugs the other day. I also noticed that the biscuits were back pretty well stocked.

Went to the nearby Sam's Club today. Most of the shelves, as well as the meat case, were pretty well stocked. A few odd items here and there that were out. The last time we were there, they didn't have much chicken. We will buy the bulk pack of chicken breasts when they are available. They finally had them back in stock. Not a bad price at $2.13 per pound...but they did have a limit of two per customer. So, two packages it was. You get about nine breast pieces in the pack...got them home and put the vacuum sealer to work. Stocked the freezer up a bit...
View attachment 253192

View attachment 253193
I like the thighs cooked on the grill, on occasion they are .99 a pound.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
At Asian stores we usually get boneless chicken (sniff) thighs for $1.29/lb.
Haven't bought em in a couple months, I'll hafta check and see if they've went up yet.

BF

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
At Asian stores we usually get boneless chicken (sniff) thighs for $1.29/lb.
Haven't bought em in a couple months, I'll hafta check and see if they've went up yet.

They dont meow when you cook them do they?

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Last weekend a neighbor called me and asked if i wanted some eggs. Chickens are producing very well for them right now. I asked how much. she said free.. Off I went. Came home with 8 dozen free eggs. all fresh within the last week.. Going to fire up the dehydrater and get crackin. Next best thing to freeze dried and they last at least a year dehydrated and taste very similar to fresh when reconstituted.
You can also store fresh eggs in lime water for years. Cant be washed though. Leave the bloom on em.

Off to aldis today to load up on wine if they have any. Then to the liquor store for Jim Beam to make some vanilla extract.
My amish connection says my wheat should be in this week. 1300 lbs of it.. Got 325lbs in last week. This should be a 5 year supply for bread and pasta.
Gardens should be up and running soon so fresh produce is covered for the summer and fall months. Still need to find some soft white wheat but that's Mostly for sweets so not really needed. Hard to find right now though. Milk is the only other think that I will need to buy on a regular basis. Just for coffee and making yogurt and ricotta cheese.
Last week I picked up my 1st Azure order. Tried the cheddar cheese as soon as I got home. It was really good. 10lbs at 6.95 a lb and hormone free. Everyone that tried it loved it. IMO worth the money. I may grab 40 or 50 lbs this month and wax them. Lasts for 25 years on the shelf if you do it that way.
Also headed to kroger today and see if they have any deals on chicken or baby backs. The 2 for one deal mentioned above is usually pretty decent.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Eight dozen eggs in a week!

He should either open a roadside stand, or contract with an independent grocery store or farm market.

Eggs are the perfect survival food. Protein pouches, no carbs. Fat is not an enemy to most healthy people. Cholestrol is not inherently dangerous.

But without a dehydrator, there's no WAY to save eggs that long. Freezing doesn't work, unless they're boiled first. Even if they are, the shells crack, and they have to be refrigerated from that point (good idea even if the shell is intact, boiled).

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

He should either open a roadside stand, or contract with an independent grocery store or farm market.

Eggs are the perfect survival food. Protein pouches, no carbs. Fat is not an enemy to most healthy people. Cholestrol is not inherently dangerous.

But without a dehydrator, there's no WAY to save eggs that long. Freezing doesn't work, unless they're boiled first. Even if they are, the shells crack, and they have to be refrigerated from that point (good idea even if the shell is intact, boiled).
I must be doing something wrong with my chickens. Between food, hay, treats and heat I figure I am spending 5 dollars an egg.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Look up water glassing eggs. You use pickling lime and no refrigeration needed.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
No idea.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
yes, water glassing will last for years.
If you have chickens don't wash the membrane off and you can store them on the counter for a year.
the neighbor has 24 chickens I think. They get 1 1/2 -2 dozen a day. This is in SC. She was only up here for a few days. She'll be back in a couple months. Told her to give me a heads up and bring me all the eggs she can carry. I'll dehydrate em. make mayo, and if she doesn't wash them I'll water glass them.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
yes, water glassing will last for years.
If you have chickens don't wash the membrane off and you can store them on the counter for a year.
the neighbor has 24 chickens I think. They get 1 1/2 -2 dozen a day. This is in SC. She was only up here for a few days. She'll be back in a couple months. Told her to give me a heads up and bring me all the eggs she can carry. I'll dehydrate em. make mayo, and if she doesn't wash them I'll water glass them.
wow, that was interesting. I have never heard of that.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
So how long are eggs really good for in fridge

I have heard or read somewhere that eggs are stable for quite a long time, if kept in a cool environment. How long is quite a long time, though. That I don’t know. Weeks? Months maybe? A year? But, I’ve also heard that the longer an egg sits uneaten, the less nutrition it has. But, I wonder about that, because the proteins and fats aren’t going to really deteriorate much, if at all and neither will the mineral content, but maybe the vitamin content dissipates. I keep them in the fridge and don’t worry about it and have dehydrated canned eggs from Augason Farms for long term storage.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Wally World has eggs for 35¢ a dozen.

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score

But without a dehydrator, there's no WAY to save eggs that long.

Sit on them.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Wally World has eggs for 35¢ a dozen.
Genetically engineered for tough shells.

It's all-but-impossible to crack them open. And, boiled and then trying to peel...half the egg white is Epoxy'd to the shell.

I've been buying a regional brand called Eggland's Best. They're three times Wally World price, but the shells do what eggs used to do...are supposed to do.

Sometimes convenience or quality, is worth the price.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Genetically engineered for tough shells.

It's all-but-impossible to crack them open. And, boiled and then trying to peel...half the egg white is Epoxy'd to the shell.

I've been buying a regional brand called Eggland's Best. They're three times Wally World price, but the shells do what eggs used to do...are supposed to do.

Sometimes convenience or quality, is worth the price.
I'll look for that.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Local wally world today, out of lots of things, cat food up around 50 % had some 30 can boxex 24 each, last 60 cans I got at sams club 25 each if memory serves, cola for 23 estimated at 7.8 right now, what bull crap

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
They arent genetically modified. They feed extra calcium, which makes the shells thicker and harder for transport.
Makes sense.

Make the eggs safe for idiocracy. For the drooling idiots with pallet-jacks.

But in so doing, it makes them that much more miserable to use and eat.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'll look for that.

To read the site introduction, it sounds like a bunch of communal soy-boi farmers...but, just as with microbrews, sometimes even they have it right. Often with food and drink.

The eggs really are better.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Its an egg. Show me someone who suffers because the shell is thicker and ill...........nevermind........
I suffered bad shoes, phone calls from the railroad dispatcher at 0100...snow up to my pecs; bad seats, worse hotels.

But I draw the line at un-manageable eggshells.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Don't waste your $$ heating your coop. Chickens laugh at the cold

My birds do fine every winter without heat and I get alot colder up north of you.
I must be doing something wrong with my chickens. Between food, hay, treats and heat I figure I am spending 5 dollars an egg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I suffered bad shoes, phone calls from the railroad dispatcher at 0100...snow up to my pecs; bad seats, worse hotels.

But I draw the line at un-manageable eggshells.
the store sells eggs in a little carton. They are already cracked, and the shells removed.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Meat Department at closest Sams Club. Nearly empty. Lowest price for meat at large Commissary at nearest Air Force Base.