• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Store shelves keep getting lower and lower

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I used to have to explain the term “Soviet Supermarket” to millennials. Now I find even the youngest ones are actually using the term like it’s the latest catch phrase.

We are indeed living in interesting times.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
In Krogers tonight. Everything pretty well stocked except for select items. some organic produce. No leeks but they been scarce for a while now. Pasta still missing. Crackers are harder to come by for sure. Plenty of ritz and cheese its but not much else.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
In Krogers tonight. Everything pretty well stocked except for select items. some organic produce. No leeks but they been scarce for a while now. Pasta still missing. Crackers are harder to come by for sure. Plenty of ritz and cheese its but not much else.
Not in
sw fl , shits still tones of empty shelves

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I get my eggs from the little girl next door. I give her $5 a dozen over the fence. Yes, I know that's too much, but she's a nice girl and I figure I am helping to support the chickens. The eggs are all different colors and quite fresh. They are unwashed so there is often organic matter stuck to them. The yolks are nuclear orange in color and very rich tasting. To me, this arrangement is infinitely preferable to having to keep my own chickens.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Don't waste your $$ heating your coop. Chickens laugh at the cold

My birds do fine every winter without heat and I get alot colder up north of you.
I'm running a retirement home for old biddies. The girls are almost 10 years old. They refuse to die. They get cold. :belly laugh:

Oh no, I just read this.

What's the longest living chicken?

Image result for how old do chickens get

Matilda

Matilda, a Red Pyle chicken who acted as an assistant for magician Keith Barton, lived to be 16 years old and was certified as the World's Oldest Chicken by Guinness World Records.Apr 11, 2018

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Pasta is the one thing that seems to still be light in my local stores. I like Barilla, but will do DeCecco if I have to. Just received a case of Barilla spaghetti in the mail and a case of Barilla elbow macaroni as well. Already had a case of rigatoni from Restaurant Depot in my pantry. With my pasta needs taken care of for now, I can set my sights on bolstering my supply of canned beans. Each week I go down to my pantry to see what I am light on and take steps to remedy the situation.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I get my eggs from the little girl next door. I give her $5 a dozen over the fence. Yes, I know that's too much, but she's a nice girl and I figure I am helping to support the chickens. The eggs are all different colors and quite fresh. They are unwashed so there is often organic matter stuck to them. The yolks are nuclear orange in color and very rich tasting. To me, this arrangement is infinitely preferable to having to keep my own chickens.

Fresh laid eggs from your neighbor are well worth $5/dozen, in my opinion. People will pay almost $5 for a coffee and a couple of donuts from the gas station and get absolutely zero nutrition from it all, but a dozen eggs will give you great tasting meals with a lot of protein, high quality fats, vitamins and minerals, all dirt cheap in comparison. I would pay $10/dozen for really good eggs and feel like it was money well spent.

mnmom

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I've kept unwashed eggs from the girls for about 5 months in the fridge with no issue. Once washed they should be used within a month.

I've done the waterglassing and have used eggs 3 years old that were perfectly good. The texture is different so they are best used in a recipe like egg bake.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Waterglassing is best used to have eggs onhand during those times of yr when laying falls off, due to molting or extreme heat/cold. thats how we have used it anyway.........

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I've kept unwashed eggs from the girls for about 5 months in the fridge with no issue. Once washed they should be used within a month.

I've done the waterglassing and have used eggs 3 years old that were perfectly good. The texture is different so they are best used in a recipe like egg bake.
does it affect cakes rising?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
While Hydrogen Peroxide may be plentiful on the shelves, check the Ingredients section. What use to be 3% H2O2 is now diluted DOWN to 2% H2O2.
I saved a H2O2 bottle but now make my own with Food Grade H2O2 (35%) with distilled water 10(ds) to 1 (FG). = 3.5% finished product.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Distilled water, another thing that's suddenly unobtainium. As mentioned above.

Anyone see a pattern here? ANYTHING that goes into homeopathic health procedures - sinus washes, supplements, basic medicines, protein-rich food...it's all being made in short supply.

Now they're cutting off peroxide. Klaus must have given the order: They VILL get sick! They can NOTT!...avoid our VIRUS!

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Distilled water, another thing that's suddenly unobtainium. As mentioned above.

Anyone see a pattern here? ANYTHING that goes into homeopathic health procedures - sinus washes, supplements, basic medicines, protein-rich food...it's all being made in short supply.

Now they're cutting off peroxide. Klaus must have given the order: They VILL get sick! They can NOTT!...avoid our VIRUS!
I have been shopping like a mad woman. Don't forget supplements. We seriously depend on them over here. I'm trying to buy a years worth of the must haves.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I have been shopping like a mad woman. Don't forget supplements. We seriously depend on them over here. I'm trying to buy a years worth of the must haves.

My wife has us up to an 18 month supply of all our supplements and two years worth of NAC, peroxide, and Lugol's 2% iodine solution. I thought she was nuts when she started buying like that. Now I just think she is a little quirky. She finds a lot of stuff at Life Extensions.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My wife has us up to an 18 month supply of all our supplements and two years worth of NAC, peroxide, and Lugol's 2% iodine solution. I thought she was nuts when she started buying like that. Now I just think she is a little quirky. She finds a lot of stuff at Life Extensions.
She is smart :) Inflation alone justifies stocking up. Let's not even talk about how bad supply can become in the near future.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I went to pick up some bar and chain oil yesterday at my local ACE. They said it was out of stock and had been backordered for months. Checked the truvalue down the street, same thing. ended up having to go to walmart where they only had 2 quarts in stock.

If you plan on needing chainsaw oil, it might be worth picking it up now.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I went to pick up some bar and chain oil yesterday at my local ACE. They said it was out of stock and had been backordered for months. Checked the truvalue down the street, same thing. ended up having to go to walmart where they only had 2 quarts in stock.

The weird, random shortages.

Distilled water, too, as I've mentioned.

This is psychological conditioning, probably for something big that they're about to drop.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

So whats the thought on using old motor oil for chain saw lubes??

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Probably the big issue is, no supply.

Frankly, with $26.99 oil changes at Jiffy Lube, there's no reason to do your own. If you do so choose, it's so easy to get rid of old sludgy oil - every auto parts vendor must have facilities to collect used oil, by law - it's so easy, few people keep it around.

I suppose now they will, but we're in that New-Issue phase.

D-FENZ

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It would work in a pinch but not as well and it's pretty thin. You would go through it at least twice as fast as the stickier bar and chain oil and it may even leak out of your saw when not in use, making a mess. You would have better luck using SAE 90 gear lube as a replacement.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It would work in a pinch but not as well and it's pretty thin. You would go through it at least twice as fast as the stickier bar and chain oil and it may even leak out of your saw when not in use, making a mess. You would have better luck using SAE 90 gear lube as a replacement.

A "working man" I mentioned it to said that his pappy always just used straight 5weight in a pinch instead.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Started loading up on wine this week. about 8 cases so far and now I am seeing that there are delays due to so many orders. Guess everyone has the same idea.
Stopped in kroger last night just to check local wine prices. Walked through the produce section and it looked to be fairly well stocked,
Not many good wines but a few drinkable ones.. Might have to go to jungle jims in cinci for a better selection. Maybe columbus has a good wine store as welll? Nothing around me. These state run stores are as bad as the grocery stores. Probably same supplier.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I've heard of people using ATF
It's not like there's special lubrication qualities required.

Anything would work. Probably vegetable oil in a pinch...although you'd want to lube the chain up proper before putting it away, if you found you had to use a water-based lubricant.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
CL, go to ALDI for the vino.

BTW, Walmart was totally overstocked...with weirdos, losers and assorted dirtbags.
I've had some good wine from them. The crestwood cab was excellent for like 10 bucks a bottle. 2017 and 2018 were both very good. They are out now. Wish I had bought more.
I did order 87 bottles online over the last 4 days. Should all be in by Friday so I am set until the fall. Summers not a good time to ship wine anyway.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I've had some good wine from them. The crestwood cab was excellent for like 10 bucks a bottle. 2017 and 2018 were both very good. They are out now. Wish I had bought more.
I did order 87 bottles online over the last 4 days. Should all be in by Friday so I am set until the fall. Summers not a good time to ship wine anyway.

We get the $3 Winking Owl and rarely get a headache. I prefer the $9 Lambrusco when they have it. Delicious, semi-sweet red bubbly Italian wine. Simply the best.

20220412_193123_resize_92.jpg

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Probably the big issue is, no supply.

Frankly, with $26.99 oil changes at Jiffy Lube, there's no reason to do your own. If you do so choose, it's so easy to get rid of old sludgy oil - every auto parts vendor must have facilities to collect used oil, by law - it's so easy, few people keep it around.

I suppose now they will, but we're in that New-Issue phase.

I don't care how cheap Jiffy Lube is, they will never touch one of my vehicles. Since retiring, my driving habits have changed to the point where the vehicles get oil changes once a year instead of on a mileage schedule. I do it myself with synthetics and Wix filters. That way, I know that it has been done right.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
My pumpkin seeds have fallen victim to the pandemic shortage, been to every store in town cant find them anymore. The ones coated in white sugar. All is lost. I guess its a blessing in disguise though with my health conditions

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I don't care how cheap Jiffy Lube is, they will never touch one of my vehicles. Since retiring, my driving habits have changed to the point where the vehicles get oil changes once a year instead of on a mileage schedule. I do it myself with synthetics and Wix filters. That way, I know that it has been done right.
Did that once when I was in really bad shape. They use the cheapest oil and filters one can buy

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Did that once when I was in really bad shape. They use the cheapest oil and filters one can buy

I'll buy my oil from Walmart when they have Mobil 1 on sale to save a buck or two, but I won't buy their filters because all they seem to sell are Fram. I wouldn't use those on a lawn mower. I get Wix (Made in USA) filters from Amazon and they are at my door in two days.

Quality filters plus quality oil equals peace of mind.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
My pumpkin seeds have fallen victim to the pandemic shortage, been to every store in town cant find them anymore. The ones coated in white sugar. All is lost. I guess its a blessing in disguise though with my health conditions
One thing we can't find in our stores is the generic form of "fig newtons". Those square fig cookies. Used to get them at the dollar stores, $1 a pack. Can't find them anywhere but the chain grocery stores and even then they are mostly out of stock.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Husqvarna 593271903 Engine Oil, Grey​

Visit the Husqvarna Store
4.7 out of 5 stars 1,661 ratings

Amazon'sChoicein Chain Saw Bar & Chain Oil by Husqvarna

Save 46% Lowest price in 30 days
List Price:$8.99$8.99 Details
Price:$4.85$4.85 ($0.15$0.15 / Fl Oz) One-Day & FREE Returns
You Save:$4.14$4.14 (46%)

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode