• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Store shelves keep getting lower and lower

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Prices getting worse, shelf stock worse too, not letting up in SW Fl. Told the wife anything we use thats non perishable buy extra and we will put it in the food saver bags, btw anyone know a good place to get moisture packets for those?

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Prices getting worse, shelf stock worse too, not letting up in SW Fl. Told the wife anything we use thats non perishable buy extra and we will put it in the food saver bags, btw anyone know a good place to get moisture packets for those?
About a month ago the wife made me pinky swear not to buy any more prep food. Truth be told, we have enough food in long term storage to keep us fed for years. I started about 5 years ago and have pretty much never stopped (until the pinky swear that is)

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Plenty of make up, candy, lingerie

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
About a month ago the wife made me pinky swear not to buy any more prep food. Truth be told, we have enough food in long term storage to keep us fed for years. I started about 5 years ago and have pretty much never stopped (until the pinky swear that is)
Its five years till you start feeding others. I have a long list of people who refuse to prep.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Its five years till you start feeding others. I have a long list of people who refuse to prep.
This, I'm fearing.

I have, I figure, four months of stores. It's all I can practically keep - and even that is a burden, now that I'm looking at some sort of homelessness.

I can stretch it out to maybe six to eight months - augmented by hunting or theft. But after that...I'm as dependent as anyone, of the productivity of the Good Earth.

This being an engineered crisis, political in root...it likely won't be done in a year. And when Americans refuse to refuse to ship fertilizer, realizing too-late what the game is...there's plenty of eager Chin ready to block and destroy. And they can now just walk right in, via Mexico.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yeah, the food I've stockpiled is not just for her and I. My daughter, son in law and three of my grandkids live 10 minutes up the road. I just kept stacking until the wife cried uncle. At this point the prices are insane compared to what I've paid for the same foodstuffs I have on the shelves so I'm not quite as eager to keep stacking more food to the ceiling.

About 4-5 years ago I put down ~$1500 to buy about 10 of these 120 serving buckets from Legacy Food Stroage w/20 year shelf life. My family thought I was crazy at the time. Look at the prices now! Crazy like a fox

Between that and all the bulk dry goods (beans, flour, red and white wheat berries, about 50-28oz cans of canned meats and much more) along with the firearms and ammo to defend it, we'll be good for a while.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Yeah, the food I've stockpiled is not just for her and I. My daughter, son in law and three of my grandkids live 10 minutes up the road. I just kept stacking until the wife cried uncle. At this point the prices are insane compared to what I've paid for the same foodstuffs I have on the shelves so I'm not quite as eager to keep stacking more food to the ceiling.

About 4-5 years ago I put down ~$1500 to buy about 10 of these 120 serving buckets from Legacy Food Stroage w/20 year shelf life. My family thought I was crazy at the time. Look at the prices now! Crazy like a fox

Between that and all the bulk dry goods (beans, flour, red and white wheat berries, about 50-28oz cans of canned meats and much more) along with the firearms and ammo to defend it, we'll be good for a while.
Goldhedge and I have been discussing wheat berries. I'm curious if you bought a grinder. I'm rounding out my preps too because of prices. Ammo and canned meat are all I'm buying now.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
This, I'm fearing.

I have, I figure, four months of stores. It's all I can practically keep - and even that is a burden, now that I'm looking at some sort of homelessness.

I can stretch it out to maybe six to eight months - augmented by hunting or theft. But after that...I'm as dependent as anyone, of the productivity of the Good Earth.

This being an engineered crisis, political in root...it likely won't be done in a year. And when Americans refuse to refuse to ship fertilizer, realizing too-late what the game is...there's plenty of eager Chin ready to block and destroy. And they can now just walk right in, via Mexico.
Are you totally opposed to RV living? The preps would need some arrangements but it seems an alternative.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Goldhedge and I have been discussing wheat berries. I'm curious if you bought a grinder. I'm rounding out my preps too because of prices. Ammo and canned meat are all I'm buying now.
Funny you should ask....

I'm on the fence on what type of grain mill to get. The considerations I've got include powered vs hand cranked. Hand crank would be a better fit in a situation where power was unavailable but the powered mill can produce flour faster and easier but not much good without power. Another consideration is the cheap casting and finish materials used in many hand mills as the micro paint chips and metal shavings mixing into the grain can be a problem. Yet a third option might be getting the Kitchen Aid mill attachment located here. Downsides are the relatively high cost and that annoying power requirement in order to work; upside storage efficiency and ease of use.

What do you guys think??

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Funny you should ask....

I'm on the fence on what type of grain mill to get. The considerations I've got include powered vs hand cranked. Hand crank would be a better fit in a situation where power was unavailable but the powered mill can produce flour faster and easier but not much good without power. Another consideration is the cheap casting and finish materials used in many hand mills as the micro paint chips and metal shavings mixing into the grain can be a problem. Yet a third option might be getting the Kitchen Aid mill attachment located here. Downsides are the relatively high cost and that annoying power requirement in order to work; upside storage efficiency and ease of use.

What do you guys think??
Like you I'm struggling with hand crank vs electric. I'm leaning to a hand crank. Hopefully Goldhedge will weigh in. he did a lot of research.I think Cigarlover uses wheat berries too.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Funny you should ask....

What do you guys think??
I think electric are a lot easier and reliable. I also think if something catostrophic happens to knock out the electric grid long term then bullets will be more valuable and you will probably be able to pickup a manual grinder from an empty house.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Like you I'm struggling with hand crank vs electric. I'm leaning to a hand crank. Hopefully Goldhedge will weigh in. he did a lot of research.I think Cigarlover uses wheat berries too.
Well lets face it, how much are you going to use it for, basically id go with the hand crank.

fink1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Country Living hand cranked mill that works great. You can easily motorize it or even adapt it to a stationary bike. Hand cranking is a lot of work, especially if you are going to make 3-4 loaves per week. I have an old treadmill motor and controller set aside to use whenever I get around to converting it.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Are you totally opposed to RV living? The preps would need some arrangements but it seems an alternative.
My RV is a tiny fiberglass box.

It's doable but it's a very-real sacrifice. I don't have a bathroom in it, for one thing.

I can make do without the can; but a shower is essential.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have a Country Living hand cranked mill that works great. You can easily motorize it or even adapt it to a stationary bike. Hand cranking is a lot of work, especially if you are going to make 3-4 loaves per week. I have an old treadmill motor and controller set aside to use whenever I get around to converting it.
I looked into those, way too rich for my blood but very nice machine for sure

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
My RV is a tiny fiberglass box.

It's doable but it's a very-real sacrifice. I don't have a bathroom in it, for one thing.

Nobody said the Apocalypse was going to be easy brother. I plan on spending my time shooting lefties once society is in total collapse. You need to find yourself a hobby like that to keep your mind busy and your spirits up!:dog:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
DOLLAR TREE has Men's Deodorant Wipes 25 wipes per pack, a pack $1.25. OR UNSENTED Baby Wipes from Wally World or Kroger (large size and quanity , ? price).
They could help extend times between showers / bowl baths.
Jus' Sayin'.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
You can rent a shower at a truckstop.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You can rent a shower at a truckstop.
I was doing that to Florida and back.

The $2 shower of 15 years ago, is now $15. That can add up. Time consuming, too, if you get there in a rush period.

The real issue isn't the BO - I can live rough. It's that in old age, the skin, in the usual places, doesn't do well unless laundered daily. Must be an age thing.

Then there's general cleanliness. If I'm not washed for bed, the bedding, with time, gets pretty nasty, too. Face, say. That will get into pillows/mattresses and ruin them, or cultivate all kinds of crap - like mold.

Just saying. There's no good answer here. Only the best bad answer.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Nobody said the Apocalypse was going to be easy brother. I plan on spending my time shooting lefties once society is in total collapse. You need to find yourself a hobby like that to keep your mind busy and your spirits up!:dog:

Yeah. I hear you.

I expect there's gonna be a lot of disillusioning moments for a lot of us, in the next couple of years.

Hobbies? Most of them I've given up, over time. No more skiing for me. I'm cutting back on the motorcycling - no more road tours; the touring middleweight bike is for sale (don't want to be in hospital now, either; and driving is getting dangerous).

I do have one thing I NEED to focus on...it never really engaged me, but now it's a survival skill.

Marksmanship. I have the pistol and took the CC class. I have shotguns, I fired one session long ago. I need to GET GOOD. I've been putting it off - there was always a ghost town to ride to, or a quaint mountain lodge to have dinner with. Or a weekend in Portland, or Crater Lake to see.

That's over now. Books, movies I have but haven't watched (for a time I was raiding the Goodwill video rack) and firearms. That looks to be my interests in the weeks and months ahead.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I was doing that to Florida and back.

The $2 shower of 15 years ago, is now $15. That can add up. Time consuming, too, if you get there in a rush period.

The real issue isn't the BO - I can live rough. It's that in old age, the skin, in the usual places, doesn't do well unless laundered daily. Must be an age thing.

Then there's general cleanliness. If I'm not washed for bed, the bedding, with time, gets pretty nasty, too. Face, say. That will get into pillows/mattresses and ruin them, or cultivate all kinds of crap - like mold.

Just saying. There's no good answer here. Only the best bad answer.
FREEBREEZE the bedding.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Difficult times call for drastic measures at times. Think Outa Da Box.
Hey, I just thought when go do laundry go in the restroom and take a bowl bath while the laundry is running. Laundry and body washed for one price.
As jagger sez "Ya can't always get what you want. You get what you need".
Just Thinkin' aloud

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
If your somewhere its warm you can use a shower tent/stall thinkie, and a solar shower.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Got a personalized deal from Albertsons on bacon at $3.99 a pound on 5 pounds.
Checked out and I didn't get the deal, regular price is $6.99.
I asked about it before I got the bacon and the customer service guy said it should be good, just put in your phone number and it's a personal offer...not advertised.
Cool, didn't work that way and he was nowhere to be found when I questioned the other guy.

Did I mention that their app sucks.
It's always a struggle to use.
Have to individually pick items, you can't just pick all and roll with it.

Well good thing bacon is good and keeps in the freezer.

EGGS were looking a little thin and some of the bread selection.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Got a personalized deal from Albertsons on bacon at $3.99 a pound on 5 pounds.
Checked out and I didn't get the deal, regular price is $6.99.
I asked about it before I got the bacon and the customer service guy said it should be good, just put in your phone number and it's a personal offer...not advertised.
Cool, didn't work that way and he was nowhere to be found when I questioned the other guy.
Albertsons is big on that kind of game. Their computer-scan registers are a PITA. Self-serve (to avoid the lines of brain-fogged Jabbed government employees) is worse.

And about three different times I'm badgered to enter my phone number. IT IS NOT YOUR GOD-DAMNED BUSINESS what is my phone number! I'm trying to pay, and leave; and I want the ADVERTISED price!

Every time I go through that line I want to smash something. Which is why I shop there as little as possible.

As you should, now. They threw away a lifetime of future sales for $15.

Albertsons is owned by Cerberus, did you know that? They were in trouble and Cerberus bought them - they already owned Safeway. They couldn't run Chrysler, instead leading it to bankruptcy, but they hired John Snow out of the W Administration.

I'd look to shop elsewhere, and DELETE that damned app. It's spyware...how much spying it does is the only question. You see it doesn't deliver the promised savings.

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
It's against the law in some states to have animals in stores grocery stores and department stores but many of them don't enforce the role so if you happen to be in a store and get bit by one of the dogs that you happen to pet you have a lot of ownership in that store
They had no trouble chasing me halfway to the back of the grocery store when I didn't have my faouci mask on yet they can't be bothered to kick a flea bag, potential rabies carrying, crapping dog out of there?

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Hands down my best investment the last few years has been food. I stocked up on non-perishable food when it was on sale the last few years (before Bidenflation hit). Cans of pasta/soup for 89c a piece etc. Could probably live 10 years on my stores if I don't give any away to democrats during a crisis.

mnmom

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I have both. For now I use a L'quip brand electric grinder. For shtf I have a country mill hand crank. My husband rigged it up to grind with a hand drill but be careful of you do that. Those mills aren't made to handle really fast rotation and you can break parts if you go too fast.

D-FENZ

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Medical grade contrast dye for x-ray procedures. My wife who is a radiographer in a cardiac cath lab tells me it's kind of a big deal. They are getting calls from large regional hospitals to do cath procedures for them because they are unable to for lack of the dye. And most of the dye is sourced from China.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Medical grade contrast dye for x-ray procedures. My wife who is a radiographer in a cardiac cath lab tells me it's kind of a big deal. They are getting calls from large regional hospitals to do cath procedures for them because they are unable to for lack of the dye. And most of the dye is sourced from China.
They use that same contrast for a lot of medical procedures. Its going to get dangerous. :( Did China lock its country down because of covid or because they wanted to break us.?

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The current administration NEEDS TO get their collective A$$'s into bringing home production for us aging population.

You know the ones that oppose them
The current administration needs to be jailed, tried for treason and hanged!!!

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The current administration NEEDS TO get their collective A$$'s into bringing home production for us aging population.

You know the ones that oppose them
If they don't care if newborns don't have baby formula why would they care about old folks and their meds? Ill bet you they don't run out of vaccines though.