• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Store shelves keep getting lower and lower

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Well Im heading out to wally world to pick up some ibgard, maybe cat food and litter if they have it.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Well Im heading out to wally world to pick up some ibgard, maybe cat food and litter if they have it.

Better you than me. I avoid that place like the plague on the weekends.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Wheat berries are running over $2 lb now. Since two bucks won't get you a decent cup of coffee these days that probably passes as a good deal
At the grain elevator down the road you can buy a bushel of wheat for 10 frn.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I been getting them in from the Amish still. Hard red winter are 35 a 50lb bag. Hard white were 44 a 50lb bag last week. Soft white are the same price but apparently everyone is buying them out. I haven't been able to get any. Just as well since those are used for pastries and shit. The hard red spring are the ones I really want. Those are 35 for 50 lbs as well but they havent made it on the truck as of yet.
I have 1000 lbs on order with them if they can get em on the truck. I have another 1000 lbs on order with another company and will know in 3 days if they make it on the truck.
I also found a mill locally that supplies to farmers. Basically it's the berries they use for planting but same wheat used for baking. 12 bucks for 50 lbs but I have to clean it myself. No one is looking at this option yet so the prices are still good. Lady at the mill had to ask others in the plant about it and they all chimed in that they use it to make bread( I was listening on the phone) That would also be winter wheat but it's ok as long as the protein content is high enough. Cleaning it will be a pain in the ass but with the shortages that are coming your gonna have to do what ya gotta do to make it work. Change recipes if needed and sift wheat berries. Of course I am also talking with a few friends locally to see who has some space that I can store some of these wheat berries. When your talking tons if not something that fits in your pantry. I figure I can store about 40) 5gallon pails in the kitchen. Bout 35 lbs a bucket or 1400 lbs total. I want about 4 times that amount.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Also if you have an LDS store locally you can buy from them. you dont have to be a member and the prices are decent. Last I looked they were about 13-15 bucks for 25 lbs.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I been getting them in from the Amish still. Hard red winter are 35 a 50lb bag. Hard white were 44 a 50lb bag last week. Soft white are the same price but apparently everyone is buying them out. I haven't been able to get any. Just as well since those are used for pastries and shit. The hard red spring are the ones I really want. Those are 35 for 50 lbs as well but they havent made it on the truck as of yet.
I have 1000 lbs on order with them if they can get em on the truck. I have another 1000 lbs on order with another company and will know in 3 days if they make it on the truck.
I also found a mill locally that supplies to farmers. Basically it's the berries they use for planting but same wheat used for baking. 12 bucks for 50 lbs but I have to clean it myself. No one is looking at this option yet so the prices are still good. Lady at the mill had to ask others in the plant about it and they all chimed in that they use it to make bread( I was listening on the phone) That would also be winter wheat but it's ok as long as the protein content is high enough. Cleaning it will be a pain in the ass but with the shortages that are coming your gonna have to do what ya gotta do to make it work. Change recipes if needed and sift wheat berries. Of course I am also talking with a few friends locally to see who has some space that I can store some of these wheat berries. When your talking tons if not something that fits in your pantry. I figure I can store about 40) 5gallon pails in the kitchen. Bout 35 lbs a bucket or 1400 lbs total. I want about 4 times that amount.

I just ordered 25 lbs of red and 25lbs of hard white berries (50lbs total) from
1647710742441.png

and paid about 3 times that price. I bought it just to have some on hand before the apocalypse hit. :rage 1 I guess I need to shop around here locally a bit more diligently and get better prices if I want to continue to build on that initial stock

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Load up a tractor trailer and start making the rounds for GIM members.
It wont pencil for a profit. Hauling grain with a semi is expensive. Thats why most farmers sell their grain locally.

bread isnt good for you anyway.......but ill admit, it will make a turd.

fwiw....a lb of wheat makes a loaf of bread.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I just ordered 25 lbs of red and 25lbs of hard white berries (50lbs total) from View attachment 251009

and paid about 3 times that price. I bought it just to have some on hand before the apocalypse hit. :rage 1 I guess I need to shop around here locally a bit more diligently and get better prices if I want to continue to build on that initial stock
yea the problem with wheat berries is the shipping is expensive. If you have an amish store near you then thats the best option. They bring it in on their regular orders and shipping is included in whatever price they quote you. You can usually do a search for Amish stores by state.

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
We have an Amish and Mennonite store where I can buy things in bulk. Plenty of those folks around me. The Mennonites also have a dairy in another location that has milk, cheese and ice cream and serves lunches.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I do have 1 other source to share with you guys and gals. Azure. Lots of organic products and cheeses. Some cheeses and dairy products are RBST and RBGH free so check carefully before buying. The big thing with them though is the grains. If they have them in stock they are usually priced fairly well. Same with the flours.
The way it works is you look and see if they have a drop near you. (There may be several) If so then they also have a drop date and a cutoff date for your order. They ship to the drop site once a month. Shipping cost is 8.5% of your order. you help unload the truck and then you load your chit onto your vehicle.
For me the drop site is an hr away so with the cost of fuel and my super efficient truck that gets 9 miles to the gallon, it's a cost that I have to factor in versus buying local.
For me it's only worth while if they have the grains in stock. Lately it's been hit or miss. It's best to wait until your cutoff date is getting close and then check stock before you order. My cutoff is in 12 hrs. So for instance if they have 5 50 lb bags of something I want then chances are it wont make it onto my order. Right now hard and soft white wheat is in short supply everywhere but they may have some flour in that area so you can grab some flour if your making a lot of bread or pizza.
Some items they are better priced than my amish store. hard white wheat berries is one (But they are out of stock) . Hard red is another but not sure if they are winter or spring but they have a good protein content. Their hard red is also organic for like 37 bucks for 50 lbs. My amish store is 75 for 50 lbs for organic.Amish place does have a GMO free and chemical free hard red winter for 35 which I bought a couple of but they aren't organic. Azure has the organics for 37 bucks and I ordered 10 bags of those. It's basically what you grind into whole wheat flour. I make a nice sourdough bread with 2 parts white and 1 part whole wheat so thats my basic use for it.
If your using whole grains in your diet you can also just cook up these wheat berries and eat em like oatmeal. Flavor them however you want and they are pretty good that way.

Some of their cheeses and butters do work out to less money than my amish place but it remains to be seen how the quality is. Again, not priced well enough to make a special trip just for those items but as long as I am buying the grains anyway, no harm in throwing some butter and cheese on the order. The frozen fish prices seem pretty good as well as some of the frozen fruits like blueberries. Some spices are priced well and others are way overpriced. Like vanilla beans can be had for 1/3rd of the price on amazon if your making your own vanilla extract or whatever.
Keep in mind also that when I first started looking at azure a few weeks ago the prices on those grains were about 20% less. The hard red wheat berries were 30 bucks for 50 lbs. Now 37. Obviously wheat prices are through the roof so thats the reason plus demand is off the charts. One thing that hasn't moved much is the Durum wheat berries. I think a lot of people don't make their own pasta and don't realize that Durum is semolina. If you've been to the grocery store lately you'll notice people are buying up pasta like crazy. They havent figured out yet that you can make your own pasta and it's way better than store bought stuff. I suspect that will be coming in the very near future as people figure it out so I loaded up a few 50 lbs bags of the Durum as well. If they still have it next month I will buy more. If not then I am still set for awhile. :).

So for me, I worked on an order for the last 3 weeks. I didn't place the order until last night. Gave me lots of time to compare prices locally and online with other vendors.

For your ancient grains like Einkorn and emmer theres a place called ancientgrains.com . After you order a certain amount the shipping is free and it's a pretty good deal for both emmer and Einkorn. Spelt is less expensive on azure.

That was long winded but hopefully that helps.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Is the situation that dire in stores across the US?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

In my opinion, it’s not bad yet, but we’re seeing signs of shortages, here and there. That’s about it. We’re so used to having tons of everything we want that spot shortages are cause for concern. No cheese in a Walmart for a couple weeks, peanut butter out of stock or low stock, multiple trips, no dried navy beans on the shelves, meat at sky high prices, that kind of stuff is just not business as usual. Oh! And no freaking toilet paper in WM for weeks at a time! Again, all that kind of stuff and much more is very unusual.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Ponce warned us about the TP.................................

What I see is selective stocking issues. Contrived. Reminds me of a group of doctors playig games with psychotropics to see what does what

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
In my opinion, it’s not bad yet, but we’re seeing signs of shortages, here and there. That’s about it. We’re so used to having tons of everything we want that spot shortages are cause for concern. No cheese in a Walmart for a couple weeks, peanut butter out of stock or low stock, multiple trips, no dried navy beans on the shelves, meat at sky high prices, that kind of stuff is just not business as usual. Oh! And no freaking toilet paper in WM for weeks at a time! Again, all that kind of stuff and much more is very unusual.

None of the shortages the media were pumping ever eventuated here; the supermarkets were down on meat for a bit a few months ago but normal butchers were stuffed to the gills. Prices on meat have remained stable somehow, some produce is up, some of it is cheaper than it was three years ago (bumper crops). Fuel has gone up quite a bit but has started to come back down, slowly. As for TP, there's a metric fuckton of the stuff here, not even the hoarders have been able to keep the shelves bare.

I don't know, it's as though Europe and the US are being arse fucked.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
None of the shortages the media were pumping ever eventuated here; the supermarkets were down on meat for a bit a few months ago but normal butchers were stuffed to the gills. Prices on meat have remained stable somehow, some produce is up, some of it is cheaper than it was three years ago (bumper crops). Fuel has gone up quite a bit but has started to come back down, slowly. As for TP, there's a metric fuckton of the stuff here, not even the hoarders have been able to keep the shelves bare.

I wonder if, with all these avian-flu chicken deaths...some of those sick birds are going to make it into Walmart's (gory) meat case.

Even in good times, their chicken is so nasty, many buyers wouldn't notice the difference.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I wonder if, with all these avian-flu chicken deaths...some of those sick birds are going to make it into Walmart's (gory) meat case.

Even in good times, their chicken is so nasty, many buyers wouldn't notice the difference.
Edit: Anyone who buys their FRESH food at Walmart deserves what they get

Last edited:

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
No, there's plenty of food in the markets. Like SOG stated, Americans are spoiled rotten and wouldn't know a food shortage if it hit them in the face

Ya think?

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Anyone who buys their food at Walmart deserves what they get
Depends on the food. Many canned-goods are cheaper. Peanut butter (I use as an on-the-go food with crackers or celery) is usually a dollar less for a large tub. Frozen items, too - but of course a lot of it has freezer burn. With cooked stuff, like Jimmy Dean's breakfast biscuits (a vice of mine) it won't matter.

Fresh stuff? Uh-uh. Although, with two local butchers closed from Chin Flu...closed for good...sourcing good meat is getting harder. We have only one major chain outlet, Albertson's. Two independent grocers, and one of them went ghetto when the local homeless agitators opened a (brand-new construction) homeless shelter two blocks away.

And Wally World, and a regional warehouse-style store, WinCo. That's actually, seemingly the best choice right now.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
No, there's plenty of food in the markets. Like SOG stated, Americans are spoiled rotten and wouldn't know a food shortage if it hit them in the face

Ya think?
I think they're gonna learn.

I don't think this all is bullschitte. It comes down to, will the food be available at the right price, or just NOT THERE?

I'm thinking the second. Because once prices spike, the usual suspects will riot. Mega-grocers (and there aren't any other kind, anymore) will just not stock anything, rather than deal with Snowflake Rage.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Depends on the food. Many canned-goods are cheaper. Peanut butter (I use as an on-the-go food with crackers or celery) is usually a dollar less for a large tub. Frozen items, too - but of course a lot of it has freezer burn. With cooked stuff, like Jimmy Dean's breakfast biscuits (a vice of mine) it won't matter.

Fresh stuff? Uh-uh. Although, with two local butchers closed from Chin Flu...closed for good...sourcing good meat is getting harder. We have only one major chain outlet, Albertson's. Two independent grocers, and one of them went ghetto when the local homeless agitators opened a (brand-new construction) homeless shelter two blocks away.

And Wally World, and a regional warehouse-style store, WinCo. That's actually, seemingly the best choice right now.
I stand corrected and updated my post accordingly :2 thumbs up:

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Mega-grocers (and there aren't any other kind, anymore) will just not stock anything, rather than deal with Snowflake Rage.
I'm wondering how that's going to play with their profit margin and their bottom line

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm wondering how that's going to play with their profit margin and their bottom line
Does profit matter anymore?

Take, Albertson's. It's owned by the same people who own Safeway, now - Cerberus, the vulture-capital company that thought they could run Chrysler. They couldn't; but of course, with RINOs like John Snow in their history (Snow left the Bush Administration to chair Cerberus, for a time) they're Too-Big-To-Fail ©®™.

It'll be the same drill as Faucci Flu. The cronies get protection and bailouts. The independents and local small businesses, get shut down, hammered flat.

The beat goes on...until it doesn't, anymore.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
YET !

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Im beginning to think there will be no shortage of food..........however..............it may be cost prohibitive...........and............you might have to eat whats available, as opposed to what you 'want' to eat. Everyone is panicing over wheat, but spring wheat hasnt been planted yet. yes there will be a diminished yield of winter wheat, but there is still lots around, not a 100% loss.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Im beginning to think there will be no shortage of food..........however..............it may be cost prohibitive...........and............you might have to eat whats available, as opposed to what you 'want' to eat. Everyone is panicing over wheat, but spring wheat hasnt been planted yet. yes there will be a diminished yield of winter wheat, but there is still lots around, not a 100% loss.
I hope you’re right. It’s better to have expensive food than no food.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
prepping for the last 6 years has its advantages :oriental:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I saw it said a few days ago, that prepping is a short term solution to a long term problem. I am prepped as well, but my main focus as soon as it warms up a bit will be getting the gardens ready for planting, and sowing seed for putout around june 1.

I am seeing garden seed readily available here, in spite of claims we were going to have a seed shortage.

:don't know:

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I saw it said a few days ago, that prepping is a short term solution to a long term problem. I am prepped as well, but my main focus as soon as it warms up a bit will be getting the gardens ready for planting, and sowing seed for putout around june 1.

:don't know:
Yep, prepping has many facets, stocking seed and aiming to be self sufficient is one of them.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Forgot the ibard, they had no cat food unless your cats made of gold. Forgot the ibgard too, did happen upon a large bag of DE food grade, picked that up only 6 bucks, I might be repetitive if so please forgive me, Ive seen better days.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
The only shortages I have seen are with wheat, flour and pasta.
I went to costco website last night to price flour. They didn't have any listed.

At azure, over the last couple of weeks I have watched the wheat prices go up 20% on average.
I cant seem to get my hands on any soft white or hard red spring.

Lots of chatter about the coming shortages on the web right now. Of course this chatter will lead to shortages faster as everyone stocks up. My guess is 3-6 months and we will really start to see scarcity and after the fall harvest we will see huge price increases. The farmers round here are paying 3 times what they were last year for ferts. Thats going to make it's way into the price we all pay. Higher fuel costs too.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I went to costco website last night to price flour. They didn't have any listed.

At azure, over the last couple of weeks I have watched the wheat prices go up 20% on average.

Lots of chatter about the coming shortages on the web right now. Of course this chatter will lead to shortages faster as everyone stocks up. My guess is 3-6 months and we will really start to see scarcity and after the fall harvest we will see huge price increases. The farmers round here are paying 3 times what they were last year for ferts. Thats going to make it's way into the price we all pay. Higher fuel costs too.
Didn't I see where you had something like 1400 lbs of grain on order?
The farmers round here are paying 3 times what they were last year for ferts.
Yeah, I heard all the scuttle butt re: fertilizer prices. All the more reason IMHO, to get that compost pile started if it ain't already! :oriental:

Last edited:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
In the beginning there was no toilet paper. You used your hand to prove you're a man

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Seed is up at least 10%, fertilizer (if farmers can get it) is up 30%, fuel prices are up and crop insurance premiums doubled. Used farm machinery is way up in price and if you need parts, you will probably stay broke down. Ritche Bros. a large North American aution service, has had record auction sales prices of used semi's. There is alot of capital involved in putting in a crop. At least interest rates are not 18 to 21 percent for operating loans, like it was in the late 1980's.

D-FENZ

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
...and crop insurance premiums doubled.
Good. They could almost double again before the premiums that the farmers actually pay would come close to covering for crop losses. That's because crop "insurance" it's still nothing but another handout from Uncle Sugar. If the farmer's crop insurance premiums were to pay for their own claims, many if not most farmers would not get it.