• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Store shelves keep getting lower and lower

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I am personally not concerned. I can get grain right out of the combine, have thousands of canning jars and lids. Meat on the hoof, in the pasture. Chickens and a good incubator, as well as hens that will set. solar water. A yuuuge garden bigly. Neighbors kitted out similarly. Im in the middle of nowhere. Its common for delivery folk not to be able to find my place.

I cant do anymore than I have already done. Let the chips fall where they may.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I am personally not concerned. I can get grain right out of the combine, have thousands of canning jars and lids. Meat on the hoof, in the pasture. Chickens and a good incubator, as well as hens that will set. solar water. A yuuuge garden bigly. Neighbors kitted out similarly. Im in the middle of nowhere. Its common for delivery folk not to be able to find my place.

You have nothing to worry about

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I believe that's the end game rather than food shortages...much higher prices. No food equates to no profits.... you can always bet your lox and bagels that it's ALWAYS about the money!
YUP !!! If ya wanna know the source of a problem, follow the money ! :gracious::2 thumbs up:

Barrettone

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score

THIS

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I went to Walmart today. I just wanted coconut oil and electrical contact cleaner. Coconut oil was $13 for two "quarts", about the same price as a few years ago. No contact cleaner, but they had plenty of the other spray chemicals in the auto section.

At the welding supply, I got an oxygen 250 cu ft for $28 and a 150 for $30. Huh?! Yep, that's their pricing. When I unloaded them, I noticed that they gave me a K (250) for my T (330). I called, and the guy said they don't handle T now and treat them as K. But if I call ahead, they can get a filled T for me. Argh. Well, at least the gas is still available.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Except the zombies
Remember, you need to shoot them in the head!!!

Coop knows this!

LmdpZg.gif

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
OK, then what about the "Sears" catalog ??? :don't    know2::gracious::finished:
SEARS ? catalog(s)? SEARs are dead around here, closest is 40 miles away. Catalogs have been replaced by fliers shoved in my mail box EVERY FRICKEN DAY !
Closest thing I get to a catalog are the THREE different phone books that all seem to arrive in a 10 day window. Every year they all get thinner and thinner.
OFF TOPIC ( sorta) : I remember the days when ONE phone book had everybody and business in it and was as thick as a Gutenberg Bible.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I don't know who Bob Chapman is but that's my opinion anyway
Bob Chapman was writing a newsletter and talking on the radio about our prime subject (gold) back when most of us were still popping pimples and back seat boppin' at the Drive-In.
Early internet business he did commentary on Melody Cedarstrom's DISCOUNT GOLD and SILVER.
I found him on her site in his last two years before succumbing to cancer.

RIP Bob Chapman

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
OFF TOPIC ( sorta) : I remember the days when ONE phone book had everybody and business in it and was as thick as a Gutenberg Bible.
There was one in every phone booth, most of them had pages ripped out but they were there

I go back to the 'dime for a three minute local call' days

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
There was one in every phone booth, most of them had pages ripped out but they were there

I go back to the dime for a three minute local call days
They had just raised the price to a quarter...back when I suddenly had a need to call people on the phone (girls!) without parental eavesdropping. Our home was across the street from the city park, so I had my choice of two phone booths.

...phone BOOTHS! The open phone, the last version of the payphone, hadn't yet appeared. It was obvious it would, though - even though our suburb was a nice area, those phone booths kept getting the glass smashed out of them. The phone company took to taking the folding doors off and leaving the lower glass broken-out.

A quarter was serious money, when you were twelve and made two dollars a week for cutting the lawn at home.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Bob Chapman was writing a newsletter and talking on the radio about our prime subject (gold) back when most of us were still popping pimples and back seat boppin' at the Drive-In.
Early internet business he did commentary on Melody Cedarstrom's DISCOUNT GOLD and SILVER.
I found him on her site in his last two years before succumbing to cancer.

RIP Bob Chapman
I still miss him. He was a major reason I decided to buy metals. I actually trusted him.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Grapefruit juice. Lately, there hasn't been much, if any, in the stores. I buy the kind that doesn't have the high fructose corn syrup in it.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
plenty of 6 dollar a gallon orange juice. none at 4. draw your own conclusions

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Went to sams club last nite, out of cat food still cept the gold ones, low and out of multiple things

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Latest contrived shortage:

DISTILLED WATER.

I use a lot of it. Both a CPAP machine and twice-a-day sinus rinses, a proven Coof preventative. I can use "purified" water in the CPAP - although the chamber will get mineral buildup, just not as fast as with tap water - but, washing your sinuses with anything but pure water is a no-no.

And all the stores I've been to...grocery, Wally World, drug chains - all sold out. Wally World and WinCo, the food warehouse, have taken out the distilled-water shelving.

Whassup with THAT? Is this like NAC, taking away ANYTHING that's useful in preventing the Fow Chee Crud?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

DISTILLED WATER.

I use a lot of it. Both a CPAP machine and twice-a-day sinus rinses, a proven Coof preventative. I can use "purified" water in the CPAP - although the chamber will get mineral buildup, just not as fast as with tap water - but, washing your sinuses with anything but pure water is a no-no.

And all the stores I've been to...grocery, Wally World, drug chains - all sold out. Wally World and WinCo, the food warehouse, have taken out the distilled-water shelving.

Whassup with THAT? Is this like NAC, taking away ANYTHING that's useful in preventing the Fow Chee Crud?
ds WATER sells out around here too. But now instead of 88 -99 cents a gal. it is now UP to $1.29 per gal. FJB

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

DISTILLED WATER.

If you have a still, make it yourself. Even with the price of power (and BBQ gas) as it is, it's still far cheaper than buying it.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Don't worry, it's transitory. And your numbers must be wrong because they reported only 7%.
WHO is "they" ?
Gov Lies
MSM LIES
Experts that figure LIE. (The reason there are no erasers on golf course pencils)

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
WHO is "they" ?
Gov Lies
MSM LIES
Experts that figure LIE. (The reason there are no erasers on golf course pencils)

Agree 1000%. I am a creature of habit and tend to buy the same groceries over and over. I have seen WAY higher than a 7% increase. For example, Friskies canned food went from $0.65 to $0.89 (I am no math expert, but that seems a wee bit more than 7%). I could list dozens of other examples, but that would just be beating a dead horse. Of course the sheep hear the statements I made previously and slurp it up.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Pool chems. If you own a pool, stock up now. I bought a year's worth yesterday and nearly hyperventilated when I saw the total. My pool guy tells me he hears it is going up another 40% in May.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I saw a food bank giveaway last week in Naples, FL. It was drive thru free produce and canned goods. The location was a nice community park nestled among $750k+ homes.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I saw a food bank giveaway last week in Naples, FL. It was drive thru free produce and canned goods. The location was a nice community park nestled among $750k+ homes.
:bang head:
I bet many in the Drive Thru were those upper middle class residents.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Pool chems. If you own a pool, stock up now. I bought a year's worth yesterday and nearly hyperventilated when I saw the total. My pool guy tells me he hears it is going up another 40% in May.
Pinch a penny told me several weeks back chlorine tabs doubled since dec and going much higher, thankfully for me when i read the plant in tx i think was destroyed i bought enough tabs for over 5 years , and stablizer too, makes chlorine last much longer.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Dang your 30/40 minutes south of me, if your ever going to be in ft myers we could do lunch at mels diner on 41 near colonial.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Pinch a penny told me several weeks back chlorine tabs doubled since dec and going much higher, thankfully for me when i read the plant in tx i think was destroyed i bought enough tabs for over 5 years , and stablizer too, makes chlorine last much longer.

I'll take your tip on the stabilizer to the bank. Thank you. Don't know anything about it, but I can read.

Looks like I will have to head back over to the fine folks at troublefreepool.com. They've always got good tips on saving money when it comes to caring for the pool. Haven't checked in there for a while. Heck, I took a break from here for a couple of years.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Food keeps going up at the grocery stores. Today, cheapest eggs I saw were $4.59 for 18 large eggs, they had a short sell-by date.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Food keeps going up at the grocery stores. Today, cheapest eggs I saw were $4.59 for 18 large eggs, they had a short sell-by date.
Where you at NYC or California ?

D-FENZ

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That's a lot of money. I just commented to my wife that eggs are about the best value out there right now. We just got 3 dozen large for 99 cents a dozen. Pretty sure I wouldn't even clean them and stick then in the carton for that- never mind producing them and the logistics of getting them to market. Been making a lot of hard boiled eggs lately. Too bad they're about impossible to store for very long.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Plenty of everything in the markets around here. Prices are certainly headed up but there are still actual bargains to be had. I'll bet there will be plenty of supply but at much higher prices. As I've stated this opinion many times.....it's ALWAYS about the money. Only if the planet goes sideways and the apocalypse occurs will we really see a food shortage IMHO

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
If you live in a competitive grocery market like Houston, you buy the sales. 59 cents a pound for chicken legs (fresh). Ugly frozen bags for 29 cents - so nasty people pick them up and put them back...
99 cents a pound for pork shoulders. $5 off purchase of $5 in your cart - I like that one. Limit of one or two on your digital account and you have to log in to see if "you" got some special deal this week, aside from the sales in the flyer. Overall, ya, you grab something random you want off the shelf, it's gone up in price quite severely in such a short span of time.
Kroger or Randall's have eggs on sale often enough to keep the frig full of 99 cents a dozen eggs.
Our small home town of 3,000 people in MN where we go for vacation has sky high prices. We bring coolers of food with us.

I probably have 3 months of regular food and 8 months of survival food, just in case.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

What State are you in? Good growing season? What's your water source? How efficient is the solar...particularly in the winter months?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
How do you manage that? Are you growing all your food, or do you buy some in small markets?

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Takes an exit off of 75 to go from glamour to dredges.