• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Storing grains in plastic buckets?

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Why do I need to line the cans with mylar bags? Do I still need the bags if the bucket is food grade?

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Mylar liners with oxygen absorbers. Keeps stuff fresh for a long time - I had some green coffee beans stored for years and recently roasted some, just as good as it ever was.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I am not sure what mylar would accomplish as a barrier under plastic. BUT, grain has integral water in it so it will sweat. this water allows fungus to grow....and, you only need a little fun-among-us to f up ur grain and ur belly. Just think of the first born in EE-Jyp...tiss them that had the first of the grain.....

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
IF you meant "GRAINS" plastic buckets can crack with age. Cracks and splits can let in the littlest of insects in. Cracks allow odor to get out and rodents will chew through to get to grain. The mylar prevents ordor along with moisture.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Put grain in sealed mylar bags and include O2 absorbers which evacuate the O2.

Here's a link where you can buy both mylar and O2 absorbers.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=O2+absorbers&ref=nb_sb_noss

Here's a pretty lady that tells you what to do, so you'd better listen to her!

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Preppers be starving and worried about some bugs in the food? Hell extra protean! But seriously the buckets I have set up so far I put a layer of salt in the bottom that will kill any bugs that hatched.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You still need to deal with the vermin potential. Vermin don't smell any potential food source they are not going to waste time chewing into the container(s). Mylar bagging deters investigating rodents. No Good Smell Move on.
But that salt will make the rat shit taste better when you eat the grain. What is left of it.
I don't understand the skimpiness. You spend serious money for store-able foods, "Food Grade" plastic containers, yet buck on any further securing procedure that will only cost a few more cents per meal.
:don't    know2:
That is like owning a firearm for a SHTF situation but you get a .22 because the ammunition is the cheapest.

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I learned very early on in food storage that there is bugs in everything. In 2008, I bought 20 pound bags of beans from Costco. The ones I didn't bucket properly went under the bed. Eventually, I noticed there were more than usual flying bugs in the bedroom. I pulled out the bags and found out they were growing inside and had broken their way out of the plastic seal. Without oxygen absorbers and removing the oxygen, they will still grow in there and have a party with your unlimited food supply (for them).

Your layer of salt on the bottom will kill nothing. They are already in the middle of the mix, ready to hatch and grow.

bb

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
K, this is not going to take any thought because I do store, or did store. the hosie candie in them there plastic trash containers. I found out, after many bags, that them there rats like to chew.....so I switched to GALVINISED. well them galivanised things are long gone but now the feed is stored in steel 55gal drums.....

f' them rats....and yes I have 4 of them drums.....

edited to add: I have 4 - 55gal drums of feed and not 4 rats....

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
does anyone know why you DO NOT bring ur firearm in to the house from the truck? Yes, what is inside stays inside and what is out side stays out side.....

sweat. unload it and let it set

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
but now the feed is stored in steel 55gal drums.....
I notice on the shows THE LAST ALASKANS, and LIFE BELOW ZERO those people are seen using 55 gal. drums for food storage and will bury one to use as a freezer in the tundra.
If 55 gal. drums keep out bears in Alaska local vermin in the lower 48 should be no sweat.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
plus-use the drums that have the hoop to secure the lid. dam rats can't lift the lid even if it does not have a hoop. Now the BIG dogs will just slap that shit around, and if'n it has a hoop on it why one gets a target....k, could be dark but you get a target and some free camp meat....homesteaders season is always in....

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
does anyone know why you DO NOT bring ur firearm in to the house from the truck? Yes, what is inside stays inside and what is out side stays out side.....

sweat. unload it and let it set
Truck gun ain't a truck gun if it's in the house :robber: