• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Surfside, FL Building Collapse

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Caught on CCTV, this building just tumbles like a castle made of sand. The remaining structure could also fall.

No reason listed as of yet. No explosion seen. Could it be because of inferior concrete? There is a slew of house foundations in this area that are getting replaced because of the aggregate used in the mix.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Sink hole? Very common down there!! All it would take is to lose a support or two and the entire thing brought itself down. Strangely, it appears in the video that it came down in its own footprint.

Where have we seen that before??

Last edited:

nowon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
55 units gone...~$34 million value, not counting likely condemnation of the remaining units
Surfside Mayor Charles W. Burkett says there has been regular roof work occurring on the building that collapsed. It's not immediately clear if this contributed to the situation.
"There's no reason for this building to go down like that. Unless someone literally pulls out the supports from underneath, or it gets washed out, or there's a sinkhole or something like that," Burkett added.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
More dead than they are saying is my guess...

offourse2

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
Reaction score
I worked down there as a in the late 70s early 80s as a stone mason. It is amazing how far up into a building the hydro static pressure would push saltwater. There were a few older buildings we worked on in Lauderdale that had to have their balconies replaced because the salt water would rot the concrete and rust the rebar making them unsafe. You could actually taste the salt 5 or 6 stories up in the damp concrete. No I didn't lick the windows just the wall.

:winks2:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Now it's been reported that building has been sinking for 30 years. It's possible the builders did not pound enough pillars into the bedrock or the concrete was inferior.

Back then drug money built lots of condos. There are still 15-20 cranes going now on rhe beach and in Brickell. Plus it's Miami. You can get anything passed as long as you pay enough Bitcoin.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I didn't see any planes...did a jew buy it recently and have it insured for McAfee viruses...

not unlikely many/most of the owners are. read that the tragedy is being compared to palestine's rocket attacks on izzy

news said that there was some kind of work being done to the building

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
piered buildings, i've never had the eye for putting foundations up on pillars, then building multiple floors above / onto those pillars

especially in a region where sinking happens all the time

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I just pulled this one. West. North. South. No ocean viewpoint...

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.20.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.24.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.26.06 AM.png

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
RIP victims who're still buried under that rubble...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I never thought of that until now.
well yeah, that building only has so many points embedded onto the ground, maybe 4' by 4' base, scattered at the corners and structural points underneath, there is no flat foundation anchored down in order to build off of...

and there's a building in san francisco that was built on back-fill and it's sinking too

i'll suspect that building has four sides onto brick walls / piers, with the rest of the underground on piers only...

bottom line is: if one pier fails, it can cascade the building back down to the ground...it always reminded me about how a pickup truck and a chain could do similar damage if the driver knows what they're doing

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a pre-demolition photo of the building for comparison.
I saw some yesterday, from real estate listings. Units were selling for 600k for 2 bedrooms at the time of the collapse.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have read that the building has been sinking at the rate of 2 mm/yr. So 30yrs x 2 / 25.4 = 2 3/8". Also if you go on Google Street View, you can walk almost all around the building.

If I was in any of those other buildings, I'd be putting up a for sale sign.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I never thought of that until now.
a sinkhole is the first thing I thought of when I saw that building go down. Those things swallow entire blocks sometimes with no warning and are very common in FL.
1624641104613.png

A much smaller sinkhole than the one above, located under only a single support point, could easily explain what we saw as that building collapsed

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
There you go. Looks like that section of the building was being supported for the moment with that scaffolding and joists something racked and the whole thing come down.
Concrete rebar, in the continuously-poured floors. The foundation was sinking, as documented; but almost-certainly not evenly. So at some points the support the foundation was providing was less and less, and stress was shifted to the rebar tying floors, walls etc to other anchor points.

Until it finally couldn't. First the undercut section went down, and the rebar was pulled from load-bearing walls not involved at first. But they were yanked, concrete shifted, the whole load and structure destabilized, and down went the second part.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
piered buildings, i've never had the eye for putting foundations up on pillars, then building multiple floors above / onto those pillars

especially in a region where sinking happens all the time
It really doesn't matter. Interior walls, as well as most exterior walls, are not load-bearing. The exterior walls are simply veneer; and the interior walls bear no load.

Gut the interior of all non-load-bearing walls and partitions, and it would be as open as the underground/surface-level parking area.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mobile home on its own lot looking better and better, if you are going to lose it to ex-wife, hurricane/tornado, sinkhole, and or forest fire, lose something cheap...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter. Interior walls, as well as most exterior walls, are not load-bearing. The exterior walls are simply veneer; and the interior walls bear no load.

Gut the interior of all non-load-bearing walls and partitions, and it would be as open as the underground/surface-level parking area.
the point is the contact at the ground...if there are 14 posts, 4' x 4', that's all the contact you'll get, regardless of anything else

now, put a concrete slab, anchor your uprights into that new slab as well as the bore below grade, , and you'll have a larger footprint to disperse that building load much more evenly across that piece of sand...and with a foundation, internal support walls could be added from the ground-up

in the old days, they'd go find the builder and kill him, legally

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mobile home on its own lot looking better and better, if you are going to lose it to ex-wife, hurricane/tornado, sinkhole, and or forest fire, lose something cheap...
yep, 20/20 hindsight and all that

but, who buys a condo, in a high-rise, with the expectations the place will crumble...in a few years, or at least the concern that will happen and begins to ask questions...

who does that?

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
yep, 20/20 hindsight and all that

but, who buys a condo, in a high-rise, with the expectations the place will crumble...in a few years, or at least the concern that will happen and begins to ask questions...

who does that?
All buildings have a lifespan. Careful maintenance can extend it drastically...the structure life can be 20 years or 200.

With your own home, it's relatively easy, unless you have structural issues. In a collective, which is what a condo is...harder.

But it's why you want to buy NEWER in that kind of structure and arrangement. Eventually it will be condemned and leveled and you don't want to be the final owner of your unit.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Since when does a large 10 story (estimate) steel framed building collapse into it's footprint. As Shootie remarked above, where have we seen this before. Only one place, and this appears every bit as egregrious.

Steel framed buildings do not collapse into their footprint unless helped. If it sinks the entire steel framed structure sinks, it doesn't pulverize in to tiny bits.

I wonder if they have doubled their insurance lately...

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Since when does a large 10 story (estimate) steel framed building collapse into it's footprint. As Shootie remarked above, where have we seen this before. Only one place, and this appears every bit as egregrious.

Steel framed buildings do not collapse into their footprint unless helped. If it sinks the entire steel framed structure sinks, it doesn't pulverize in to tiny bits.

I wonder if they have doubled their insurance lately...
Maybe your premise is flawed.

We can safely assume Dick Cheney and the Israeli Embassy was not here wiring up explosives to the central supporting columns...yet it collapsed the same way.

The same way the Joos in Popular Mechanics said high-rises DO fall when there's a structural failure. But of course they are just shills for Israel.

So, I guess what we need to do, is arrest Dick Cheney and find out who it was he taught to blow up buildings without ever being seen. And maybe give more money to those wonderful Iranians, so they can help us deal with the Joo Menace.

Or else...we can just re-evaluate our original conclusions about the WTC, based only on selected evidence....