• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Surfside, FL Building Collapse

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
i started to watch that one...sounded like a homosexual was teaching men how to act while getting satisfied

it was weird...

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
o women want you to look at them while getting a blowjob is the vid?

seriously stck, what places are you a frequenting?

anyway,
I saw this 'vid link' in another website forum. It must have been hosted by the site for some revenue?

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
here you go stck, this is what came up,

1.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
exactly right,

they claimed that was the fault 10 mins before the thing went 'all fall down'

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Weird observation, the media has been pushing the israeli rescue team front and center...but I'm central Florida is anyone else seeking that?

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
^^ Yes. They must figure the Israeli's are good at this with all the blown up building they have to search.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone read this guy's account? Forget the video, just read the text.

excerpt:

When they got to the hallway, they saw two holes where elevators used to be. Their neighboring apartment was gone. They found a stairwell and started to make their way down.
"I looked to my left and half of the apartment is gone, look forward and the elevator shaft is there and there's no elevator, it's just two holes," Albert told NBC 4. "Panic starts to set in, like we need to really run, because I don't know if the rest of it is coming down.
"We got to the stairwell and when we opened the door, that's when everything really hit, because half the wall to the stairwell was missing, it was kind of open air stairs, so now we're just racing down as fast as possible."

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

excerpt:

When they got to the hallway, they saw two holes where elevators used to be. Their neighboring apartment was gone. They found a stairwell and started to make their way down.
tg for structural steel

good news thread!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

FLORIDA CONDO COLLAPSE - TARGETED HIT JOB? JOHN MCAFEE TIE IN? - STEW PETERS​

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
^^ Yes. They must figure the Israeli's are good at this with all the blown up building they have to search.
I just figured its the Miami area, lots of jews there. Probably a number in the building.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
That last sentence irked me more than the bj advertising
.WHAT "rising sea levels"? They NEVER miss an opportunity to push their fake agendas...

Took me a while to find this pic posted during the G7 in the "Political Cartoons" thread... Now I've saved it, for ALL future references to "Rising Sea Levels"...
Water (whether in a swimming pool or throughout the whole World's oceans) SEEKS ITS OWN LEVEL... So this is how much "Sea Level" has risen in Miami Beach since the 1920s....

Find another DAMN FAKE EXCUSE...

G7 Sea Levels 2021 vs 1925.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
having FEMA there opens up another door to screw desantis

excerpt:

Shock and awe.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

SURFSIDE, Fla. (AP) — Rescuers were given the all-clear to resume work looking for victims at a collapsed South Florida condo building after demolition crews set off a string of explosives that brought down the last of the building in a plume of dust.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told the Associated Press that the demolition went “exactly as planned” around 10:30 p.m. Sunday.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
having FEMA there opens up another door to screw desantis
Not to mention the Israeli 'rescue' team. What were they doing there?

Looks like they used the same procedure they did to drop the first half of the building (just kidding)

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
That's the ticket!

Now try to find any survivors in "pockets"...

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Build a huge concrete and steel building on a filled-in (salt water) mangrove swamp over porous coral.

Water table (fresh water) is 100' or so below the surface that the building is on.

Suck water out of that water table for FORTY FARGIN YEARS. Swimming pools, showers, car washes, yada/infinity.

Huge concrete building begins:

1. To sink down because the water being removed constantly, and inflow slowly causes sinkhole action.

2. To rot from the absolutely inevitable destiny of concrete, steel, and continual salt moisture.

3. To attract attention and cause slight elephantine note: "$9,000,000 needed to fix this coming disaster."

4. The building's illness report is "shelved". Too expensive.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Build a huge concrete and steel building on a filled-in (salt water) mangrove swamp over porous coral.

Water table (fresh water) is 100' or so below the surface that the building is on.

Suck water out to that water table for FORTY FARGIN YEARS. Swimming pools, showers, car washes, yada/infinity.

1. To sink down because the water being removed constantly.

2. To rot from the absolutely inevitable destiny of concrete, steel, continual salt moisture.

3. To attract attention and cause slight elephantine note: "$9,000,000 needed to fix this coming disaster."

Just bulldoze them all down and give the FLA swamp back to nature. New Orleans too. I'm sick of paying for their rebuilding every time a hurricane swamps the Superdome!

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Yep... Hubris & "Monkey No See, No Hear, No Talk"...

monkey no see - hear - talk.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
1. To sink down because the water being removed constantly, and inflow slowly causes sinkhole action.
2. To rot from the absolutely inevitable destiny of concrete, steel, and continual salt moisture.
Now where have we heard that story before, but for asbestos removal??

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just bulldoze them all down and give the FLA swamp back to nature. New Orleans too. I'm sick of paying for their rebuilding every time a hurricane swamps the Superdome!
Trouble is, bro... this is the first bump of the Titanic against the ice. There are 90 fargin miles of huuge condo structures that were essentially all built around the same time. You can drive up A1A for miles at a time and not be able to see the ocean -- even though it is just a coupla hundred yards from the road.

It is intuitive that the mad building boom of the 70's-80's used the same techniques, followed the same codes.

And the ocean never sleeps. Even while being built, the moisture and salt had started. A half-century of ho-hum... and the whole east coast of Floriduh has fifty thousand of these structures side-by-side.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Now where have we heard that story before, but for asbestos removal??
Sadly, several perfectly good airplanes were sacrificed on that same day because there was bedrock under them thar' pilings, not coral, so they needed to come up with diiferent plan

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Trouble is, bro... this is the first bump of the Titanic against the ice. There are 90 fargin miles of huuge condo structures that were essentially all built around the same time. You can drive up A1A for miles at a time and not be able to see the ocean -- even though it is just a coupla hundred yards from the road.

It is intuitive that the mad building boom of the 70's-80's used the same techniques, followed the same codes.

And the ocean never sleeps. Even while being built, the moisture and salt had started. A half-century of ho-hum... and the whole east coast of Floriduh has fifty thousand of these structures side-by-side.
Then they'll come down on their own in time. I wouldn't advise purchasing any beach front condo's in FL but many people will ignore that advice and that's OK with me.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Op-ed:
A Cacophony of Design Flaws and Construction Mistakes

By: Diane Sori / The Patriot Factor / Right Side Patriots / Right Side Patriots Radio

I don’t know if you guys recognize that. Did you see how thin those slabs are and how thin those columns are?...“That was a structurally deficient building, in my opinion.”

- President (and master builder) Donald Trump on the Champlain Towers South Building collapse

I knew the building...many of us did...my husband even had a patient who once lived there. One of the older buildings along Collins Avenue in the little town of Surfside on Miami Beach, Champlain Towers, a 12-story, 40-year old beachfront condominium, was built to withstand extreme-weather conditions including hurricane-force winds. Home to both permanent residents and “snowbirds”... “snowbirds” who rented out their condos during the off-season...the Champlain Towers was simplified luxury, built more in an old school manner and design than that of today's glass towers that reach up and touch the sky.

And now all that remains is a shell of its former self for on June 24, 2021, at approximately 1:30 a.m. EST, Champlain Towers South partially collapsed. And while, as I write this, 22 people have been confirmed dead with 128 others remaining missing or unaccounted for, the fact is that with 12-stories of concrete and rubble laying on top of them reality dictates that they most surely are dead. And this, albeit on a much smaller scale, sadly brings back 20-year old memories of a sunny day in September when so many lost family and friends when two buildings collapsed leaving over 3000 Americans dead.

And just like back in 2001, there is one key question that now demands an answer...as in why did the Champlain Towers South building collapse. And while the Democrats, including Joe Biden, as a means by which to push forward their climate change agenda do hope that's why the building fell, but in my opinion know it is not. And I say this no matter the words of one Ben Schafer, a Johns Hopkins University structural engineer who upon hearing of the buildings collapse stated in part that, “Climate change is changing the demands on all of our buildings across the US...and sea level rise is one example of something that’s much broader.”

So why do I believe he is off base with his “demands on all our buildings”scenario? Because while it's true that sea levels naturally do rise and then recede back, it is also true, but not well known, that as the beaches along Miami Beach's shoreline began eroding back in the late 1960's when high tides brought the ocean's water much closer into shore and at times entering the underground garages of some existing oceanfront buildings, what's not being told by the Democrat controlled mainstream media is that this scenario is extremely unlikely to happen today.

And why...because of something called The Miami-Dade County Beach Erosion Control Master Plan...a plan initiated under the auspices of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers...a plan that when completed in the 1980s saw 13-miles of "protective beach fill" extending from Government Cut (where Miami Beach begins) through Haulover Beach Park and ending at the Town of Golden Beach...with Surfside Beach, hence The Champlain Towers, within the said fill range.

This project was constructed via a series of six contracts and utilized sand dredged from offshore "borrow sources" which led to the widening of the beaches to at least 200+ yards as can be seen in the pictures to the right. In much simpler terms, this plan saw the widening of the entirety of the beaches stretching from the tip of Miami Beach up to basically the Broward county line with structural solutions like "breakwaters and gains" also being added to help keep the ocean waters from encroaching on the oceanfront properties. So if water did routinely enter the South Tower, as some claim, the fault would not be because of climate change but because of serious and sudden beach erosion or some breach in either the Army Corps of Engineers beach upkeep of the "breakwaters and gains"...which is highly unlikely...or because of shoddy building maintenance or entirely "something else."

But before we get into the "something else" let's first eliminate the sinkhole musings...a sinkhole in no way destroyed the pool, the deck, nor did it suck the South Tower into it for a sinkhole has telltale signs, none of which have been discovered on scene. And besides, this building’s specific location is not now nor has it ever been a likely spot for sinkholes.

So what really brought the Champlain Towers South building down? Let me explain what I now believed happened.

While some residents continue to question the now clearly seen visible space beneath the pool, know that it is not uncommon for condo size pools to have just such a space for that's where the pipes and plumbing needed to keep said pool up and running are laid, and it also leaves enough crawl space for workers to make certain repairs if need be. However, something that does raise serious concern is the deck itself...a deck that is basically a reinforced concrete slab with decorative pavers on top...a deck which as per code had the required waterproofing membrane being laid correctly under the concrete slab, still saw the deck itself being flat and not sloping away from the pool, thus not allowing for proper water runoff and drainage.​

So where does what would then be standing water go? That which did not evaporate would eventually sink down between the pavers...what with Florida seeing as much rain as it does during the summer months...in time would breach the waterproof membrane and affect the now aging concrete with said water eventually landing in the 120-space parking garage...a garage which not only extended under what is the hollow deck but which butts right up to the pool's edge. This would explain the water many residents complained about seeing in the garage over the years.

Now here it's important to note the pillars themselves, their size variations, and their actual placement within the garage. And know that parking space #78 is really ground zero for what was to follow for it was around this area where the critical load bearing pillars are...or should I say should have been...for these pillars were not the much needed wider pillars that can be seen in other areas of the building, but were a series of five thinner pillars not capable of holding up what was the key central load bearing points of the building.

And sadly, when the pool deck collapsed ten minutes prior to the tower, it actually fell six feet into the middle of the garage with space #78 now becoming the central point of the collapse as the thinner support pillars that surrounded that area were not able to bear the weight of the collapse...which thicker and wider pillars would have been able to do.

And with Miami structural architect Kobi Karp now also calling the collapse the result of an “internal failure,” he adds to engineer Jeff Ostroff's scenario...which can be seen in his video 'How It Collapsed' below...by saying that a compromise at the point where the pillars and the two parts of the L-shaped building joined together is the point where the most load bearing stress would be...as in where the horizontal slab of the building meets the vertical support wall as well as the support pillars...and where water could also have gradually seeped underneath...and even wicked upwards...over the years causing corrosion, rust, etc. to have built up.

And over time this could also have led to a critical breech in the bottom floor at its vertical to horizontal joining point causing it to eventually give way and collapse in on itself, thus bringing the rest of that tower's section down along with it. A sudden horrific collapse with the tower's final landing point looking not unlike the fertilizer bombed Murrah Federal Building.

Now as for the visual flashes of light seen in the videos emanating from the 10th and 12th floors and from the rooftop...those flashes were most likely the electrical workings of the elevators now being compromised as the elevators, housed within where the buildings were joined together, were drawn down into the vertical shafts, where the stairwells also were, which would explain what some survivors said about their running towards the elevators and stairs to escape but there being neither elevators nor stairs there...just a smoldering collapsed shaft with cables dangling, sparks popping, and concrete falling.

So now that you know what I believe to be the actual physical cause as to why the South Tower collapsed, let me tell you exactly whom I believe is to blame. Simply, in my opinion, it's both the Champlain Tower's original architect who designed a highly flawed pool deck and in his possibly cost cutting measures regarding the pillars and their load bearing capabilities, coupled with the past and current Champlain Towers condo board who were willfully negligent in their duties...as in gross negligence regarding structural defects they knew about for years but which they did not attend to.​

And here let me begin by stating that while residents did file complaints with the board over the years about, amongst other things, water in the garage, cracks in the walls, pool issues, apartment ceiling leaks, etc., in 2018 as the building was nearing its county mandated 40-year re-certification, a mandatory Structural Field Survey Report done by engineer Frank P. Morabito (PE, SECB) of Morabito Consultants, Inc., found numerous problems with the building that needed to be addressed in what was stated as “in the near future,” and included words such as, “significant cracks and breaks in the concrete, which required repairs to ensure the safety of the residents and the public." And in said report to the condo board the report also stated that “the significant deterioration would require an estimated $15 million dollars in repairs.”

A lot of money for sure but well managed and diligent condominium board of directors and associations make sure reserves are in place for emergency repairs in addition to routine building assessments being passed onto the condo owners for more expensive and time consuming repairs. This of course is on top of monthly maintenance fees all condo owners pay, but all said costs are clearly stated in one's ownership deed. So the question is why weren't the repairs mentioned in the structural engineers report done or at least started back in 2018, let alone why weren't certain issues addressed back in the 1990's when previous reports show that the South Tower was sinking at a rate of about 2 millimeters a year. In fact, back then a few residents even sued the board after issues regarding cracked walls and balconies remained unaddressed even though it was well known that cracked walls and balconies could be an indication that sinking has occurred...sinking which in turn could eventually affect the stability of a building.

But here know that the South Towers sister building, the North Tower, apparently, at least at this point, does not have these same issues yet it still raises questions as to building materials used, codes being or not being met, and safety inspections being made when the South Tower itself was under construction. But this does not excuse the 2018 condo board from not starting the repairs cited in the engineer's report immediately. And know that a few of the same folks remained on the 7-member board today...with two sadly among the missing...and that said board has now “lawyer-ed up” as they say.

Now claiming that it takes time to start repairs of the nature and scope mentioned in the report, the board's lawyer, Kenneth Direktor, claims that, “They were just about to get started on it,” and that he has seen nothing to “suggest that the collapse had anything to do with the issues identified in the engineering review,” and that if there had been anything to suggest that a collapse was possible, the review process...as in the time repairs were given the okay to commence...would have been “handled very differently.”

Really, “handled very differently,” well here's an interesting side note regarding just that. It seems that back in 2018, the board was divided and squabbling amongst themselves about initiating the repairs cited in the engineer's report especially after then Surfside building official Rosendo Prieto reviewed said report and noted that while the report "was not in the format for the 40 year certification,” he nevertheless determined that the necessary data had been collected and that “it appears the building is in very good shape.” And yet some on the board were not buying it with the board's then president Anette Goldstein resigning from the seven-member board in the fall of 2019, due to the “slow response and continuing debate” among board members about the scope, truths, and costs of the work that needed to be done. Simply, Mrs. Goldstein was scared not of what was, but of what could and eventually did happen. And know that soon after she resigned from the board four other board members did so as well. You can read Mrs. Goldstein's actual letter of resignation below.

Simply, no matter what the cause of the South Tower collapse is eventually determined to be...and know of course that faulty structural issues will surely be at the crux of it...meaning issues regarding the actual construction of the building, materials used, and/or previous complaints not addressed, etc...the folks who sat on the Champlain Towers condo's board must also be held legally somewhat responsible. Responsible and found guilty of culpable negligence if nothing else for they knew well the dangers that could possibly happen yet did nothing in a timely manner to see that those issue were addressed.

And now as lawsuits are being filed on the resident's behalf...lawsuits serving as the touch off point for a class action lawsuit that is sure to follow...the blame game will sadly continue to be played by those Democrats who, of course, will not let this tragedy go to waste. And probably with 150 or so of our fellow south Floridians laying dead, it's we, along with the families who have lost loved ones and friends, who will grieve with them. What did happen should never have happened and political agendas must be put aside so that some form of closure can take place as loved ones are buried and life goes on while lawsuits start landing in the courts...lawsuits that will take years to adjudicate.

In other words, the Champlain Towers tragedy will now become part of south Florida's legacy for many years to come. And maybe because of just that, some across the board long overdue construction changes will be made to assure that such a collapse never happens again. A legacy for much needed positive construction change will, as numerous times and instances have shown, sadly been accomplished as the result of innocent lives having been lost.
Copyright © 2021 Diane Sori / The Patriot Factor / All rights reserved.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Not to mention the Israeli 'rescue' team. What were they doing there?
Makes one wonder who owns the insurance policy....?

But conspiracies aside... this is the best video explanation what happened to the building by an engineer...

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Death toll rises to 90 in Surfside condominium collapse. New victims include 3 children​

BY DOUGLAS HANKS
JULY 11, 2021

Search teams work the debris field of the collapsed 12-story oceanfront condo, Champlain Towers South, in Surfside on Saturday, July 10, 2021. AL DIAZ ADIAZ@MIAMIHERALD.COM

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.14.32 AM.png

Search crews have discovered an additional four victims of the Surfside condominium collapse, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced Sunday, bringing the confirmed death toll from the June 24 catastrophe to 90 with a remaining list of 31 more people feared lost under the rubble.

Police also released the identities of 10 victims found during the week, including three children ages 5, 6 and 9.

The newly discovered victims announced Sunday were not identified at the daily media briefing that marked the 18th day of the search effort and the fourth since the county-led operation shifted from rescue mode to recovery.

Levine Cava announced July 7 that there was no hope of finding anyone alive in the debris from the 12-story oceanfront condominium tower, a decision that shifted the debris site from a rescue operation run by the county fire department to a death investigation overseen by Miami-Dade Police.

“Our team continues to make incredible process de-layering the pile,” Levine Cava said in the media briefing tent set up south of Surfside, in Miami Beach. “And we’re working to bring closures to families as quickly as we possibly can.”

Members of the South Florida Urban Search and Rescue (FL-TF2) walk between the Miami-Dade County operation and media centers during the morning press conference. Miami-Dade and Surfside mayors updated the media on the overnight and daily operational details while announcing 90 people who have been confirmed dead due to the partial collapse of the Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida on Sunday, July 11, 2021. Carl Juste CJUSTE@MIAMIHERALD.COM

In the grim operation of finding remains of victims, identifying them and notifying family, authorities each day often announce the new tally of the dead and then update the list of identified victims. On Sunday morning, police released the names of 10 victims found between Tuesday and Friday.

The names of the newly identified victims are: Richard Augustine, 77; Maria Gabriela Camou, 64; Edgar Gonzalez, 42; Lorenzo De Oliveira Leone, 5; Alfredo Leone, 48; Alexia Maria Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 9; Anna Sophia Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 6; Luis Sadovnic, 28; Maria Torre, 78; and Julio Cesar Velasquez, 66.

Bodies of the two Paraguayan sisters found; family of 5, nanny die in Surfside collapse

JULY 10, 2021 8:38 AM

Levine Cava said that of the 90 victims extracted so far from the Champlain Towers South site, 71 have been identified publicly by police — a process that involves matching the remains with a missing person, and then notifying that person’s next of kin.

With the county last week declaring an end to hope of finding anyone alive at the site, families of the officially missing have moved into grief as well. On Sunday, Miami Beach’s Temple Menorah held a memorial service for Arnold and Myriam Notkin, friends in their 80s who married later in life after losing their spouses.

Arnie Notkin, 87, was a retired physical education teacher at Miami Beach’s Leroy D. Fienberg Elementary School, and Myriam Notkin, 81, was a retired banker. They lived in Unit 302. Though they haven’t been identified by police as victims, they were mourned Sunday by more than 300 people.

“It was amazingly attended,” said Norma Orovitz, a friend of Myriam’s from swim group at the Surfside Community Group. She described Myriam as a “dynamo” who made a habit of Facebook selfies from the ocean for friends and family on Facebook, and Arnie as a cheerful man who used to accompany his wife to swim class and sit nearby. “He was just a nice guy,” she said.

On Sunday, the search effort continued during mostly sunshine on a site that now includes both the rubble from the initial collapse and July 4 demolition of the remaining tower. The demolition was planned to prevent more rubble from falling on debris from the collapse, and the pace of the recovery process picked up after the remaining tower fell.

When Miami-Dade police release the names of the dead, they also include the date the victim was found on the site. Before the July 4 demolition, the most victims recovered in a day was six. Since then, the numbers have gone higher, with eight listed as recovered July 6 and 13 recovered on July 8.

Crews have reached the bottom of some portions of the debris pile from the 12-story building, with authorities on Sunday saying the latest layers removed over the weekend revealed vehicles from the underground parking garage.

“The pile continues to go down, well below ground level,” Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said at the briefing. “We’re at the point where we’re seeing cars in the parking garage.”

Alan Cominsky, Miami-Dade’s fire chief, confirmed the uncovering of the cars was a first for the search operation, but said that other portions of the collapsed building remain at higher levels.

He said the initial estimate of finishing the recovery operation was estimated at two to three weeks after the rescue operation ended July 7. Now, he said Sunday, there’s been enough progress that the new estimate is closer two weeks, suggesting a target of July 22.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Pretty thorough initial hypotheses with good clips...

follow up a week later

and yesterday

Last edited:

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
pretty obviously from the part of the building that didn't collapse - west side on Collins Avenue
For sure on that one. Did anyone who was in the collapsed part survive?

Most people were prolly asleep, and awakened briefly before being crushed. Woulda been an terrible way to go.
May they rest in peace.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Miami Condo Collapse: Could Pool Deck Work 2020 Cause It?​

Help you narrow down a root cause for the condo collapse in surfside, Florida. Here we look at more evidence that has come to light in the last few days, like videos Mike videos touring through the parking garage where we are able to now see some of their pre-existing damage on the ceiling of the garage of this collapsed condo and possibly identify the exact member column support column that might have failed.

We also show other possible causes such as construction work that was done on the pool deck area back in 2020 less than a year ago. There we examine everything that was done and try to determine if that could have had something to do with accelerating the problematic areas that caused the pool deck to collapse by way of a punching shear failure leaving most of the columns standing, except for probably a couple that we think might have been the weakest.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The "cause" has been determined.

The Board was told of the danger. The Board was told it would cost $9MM. The Board did absolutely, totally, completely... nothing at all. Zerio.

So, as the world turns... the building comes down because of mismanagement (money saving).

MISMANAGEMENT <-- The sole cause. Period.

Anything else coming up will be legal-dodgery obfuscation.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
The "cause" has been determined.

The Board was told of the danger. The Board was told it would cost $9MM. The Board did absolutely, totally, completely... nothing at all. Zerio.

So, as the world turns... the building comes down because of mismanagement (money saving).

MISMANAGEMENT <-- The sole cause. Period.

Anything else coming up will be legal-dodgery obfuscation.
The Board will apologize and things will just continue....just like politics.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Boy howdy -- I hope this pairing concept comes true. LAWSUITS are already filed. The Board is lawyering up to their ears. The photographs are in all the papers.

And lastly, it sells... so every single day down here in the newspapers and on the air -- the death toll is announced. It is REALLY announced when they find a dead child.

Two Board Members resigned because they could not get past the stalling, uncooperative majority to get the professionally reported-required fixes done. These two resigned long before the building came down.

That's two. The rest are now very possibly facing something more than civil stuff.

Some of those condos went for well over $2MM. The families of those lost due to penny-pinching are not the type to shake hands with the arrogant assholes that caused this disaster, and go home.

I wouldn't. And I know you wouldn't either.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Nothing will be done in the end, probably; but the board is a moot issue.

Because the purpose, management of the common areas of the condo, is...shall we say...irrelevant. They got their positions by owning condos and then seeking election to the board. Their ownership claim is crumbled to dust.

The board only now serves as a representative structure that can be sued (and liability-insurance paid out) as an abstract, but obviously, it's done. Surviving members of the board and any professional managers employed by it, go on to other homes and other gigs.

It's a warning to other HOA boards, but except for the one other structure recently condemned, I doubt anything will be done. Hominids don't seem to learn, easily...they place avarice and emotion ahead of evidence and logic, in their internal decision mapjs.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Some of those condos went for well over $2MM. The families of those lost due to penny-pinching are not the type to shake hands with the arrogant assholes that caused this disaster, and go home.
A lot depends on the age and nature of the families. I've had a fair amount of experience with elderly family members - at the end of their lives they tend to become passive, accepting, unwilling to challenge what they're told by those with official titles.

The adult children of aged survivors may or may not raise hell - a lot depends on whether some hush-money appears with a stipulation that nothing be said and lawsuits withdrawn. These scions of elderly millionaires may be millionaires themselves, with more to lose than just their parents. Today, success is based on social status, not merit; and THAT can be jeopardized by rocking some boats that TPTB don't want rocked.