• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Surfside, FL Building Collapse

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Miami Condo Collapse: Could Pool Deck Work 2020 Cause It?​

Help you narrow down a root cause for the condo collapse in surfside, Florida. Here we look at more evidence that has come to light in the last few days, like videos Mike videos touring through the parking garage where we are able to now see some of their pre-existing damage on the ceiling of the garage of this collapsed condo and possibly identify the exact member column support column that might have failed.

We also show other possible causes such as construction work that was done on the pool deck area back in 2020 less than a year ago. There we examine everything that was done and try to determine if that could have had something to do with accelerating the problematic areas that caused the pool deck to collapse by way of a punching shear failure leaving most of the columns standing, except for probably a couple that we think might have been the weakest.

Thanks for posting the most recent follow-up video of this great structural engineering "forensic analysis"...

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
When I was a "Pension Trustee" in my Local Plumbers & Pipefitters Union branch, I had a "fiduciary liability" that was "PERSONAL = ON ME!", for ANY BAD DECISIONS - revealed LATER - (for "investments) "on my part"... I could be SUED PERSONALLY - even if I had made my decisions "in good faith", even though it was a NON-PAID -elected - POSITION...

At the time, I wondered whether I should buy "personal liability insurance"... out of MY pocket...

I wonder whether these "board members" are subject to the same PERSONAL LIABILITIES...

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
When I was a "Pension Trustee" in my Local Plumbers & Pipefitters Union branch, I had a "fiduciary liability" that was "PERSONAL = ON ME!", for ANY BAD DECISIONS - revealed LATER - (for "investments) "on my part"... I could be SUED PERSONALLY - even if I had made my decisions "in good faith", even though it was a NON-PAID -elected - POSITION...

I wonder whether these "board members" are subject to the same PERSONAL LIABILITIES...
That might just be part of the obstacle.

What slip-and-fall trial lawyer is going to initiate a lawsuit (where his compensation is a percent of recovery of any awarded damages) against an INDIGENT, FORMER member of a condo owners' association? I mean. First, those persons had million-plus losses himself - and his condo was probably mortgaged to the hilt. Second, demographics suggest that members will be mostly aged and retired. Not much income stream.

Some will have tidy investment accounts. NOT ALL. You can't target some and not others because some have resources and others not. A judge, looking to throw the case out (protecting the Status Quo and TPTB) will cite unequal treatment.

So, collection will be muddled and well-nigh impossible, if there's no liability insurance.

FWIW, it's one reason I keep my auto insurance liability to state minimums in the states I'm likely to be in. Bigger insurance limits, bigger target for nuisance lawsuits.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
How would they know?
First, the slip-and-fall loy-yehs run a credit check and background check of their target - find out what he has that's attachable.

Then they explore his auto insurance (or other insurance) limits. When you're in a traffic accident, your insurance carrier is identified. Usually the insurance card is presented, and RIGHT THERE are the limits on your coverage. If not, it's a simple matter to contact the insurance agent or carrier.

If that doesn't get them anywhere (most times they've already got the information) they can file Demand Before Suit, or file a lawsuit and explore insurance limits during Discovery. That would be the time the contingency loy-yehs back out. Up to this time, it's just a low-wage paralegal filing papers and using an Autosign with the attorney-boss's name on it.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a "Pension Trustee" in my Local Plumbers & Pipefitters Union branch, I had a "fiduciary liability" that was "PERSONAL
Was this in Europe? I've been led to believe that in Europe managers and engineer types are sometimes held personally liable for mistakes and incompetence. In the USA it pretty much never happens. The reaction is typically apologize and/or resign and/or get a higher paying job somewhere else and screw up something there.

ABC123

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

First time seeing the news report on a possible explosion.
1626387184749.png

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
First time seeing the news report on a possible explosion.
Don't know who is running the investigation, but if there were explosions there will be residue.

Whether or not they 'find' any is anyone's guess....

$110 Million going to the victims from the sale of the land. 107 dead comes to $934,579.44 per.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
What about the other assholes who survived but lost their property? Are they included in the cut? I imagine government money will come into another settlement. They can't give cash away fast enough just like the distemperment vaccines.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Champlain Tower building demolition? Just collapsed apparently​

THIS WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT‼Remember 9/11 remember London rituals

Comments
Although I DO believe it was a Red Flag Demolition not some dumb "oops the building just fell apart". This is CLEARLY the demolition of the remaining half of the building...

Sadly fake stories like this just make us ll look like loons. There is such a thing as a Conspiracy. But because they mock us we must be vigelant to present TRUTH.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Champlain Tower building demolition? Just collapsed apparently​

THIS WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT‼Remember 9/11 remember London rituals

Comments
Although I DO believe it was a Red Flag Demolition not some dumb "oops the building just fell apart". This is CLEARLY the demolition of the remaining half of the building...

Sadly fake stories like this just make us ll look like loons. There is such a thing as a Conspiracy. But because they mock us we must be vigelant to present TRUTH.

Yes. This was the demolition of the REMAINING part of the building, imho - the part facing Collins Ave, not the Oceanfront.... a few days after the original collapse of the other part of the building (with smaller columns - as shown in the vids I posted above)

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Posted it because it might be put out there as the original building collapse.

Now we know what it was/is.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Implosion Enables Expanded Search for Victims of Champlain Towers Tragedy​

implosion of remaining Champlain tower

The damaged remaining structure at the Champlain Towers South condo building collapses in a controlled demolition, Sunday, July 4, 2021, in Surfside, Fla. The decision to demolish the Surfside building came after concerns mounted that the damaged structure was at risk of falling, endangering the crews below and preventing them from operating in some areas.

(AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

Roughly 10 days and 21 hours after a portion of the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside, Fla., originally collapsed, officials describe a successful implosion that carried down the remaining 12-story structure at 10:30 p.m. on July 4. It made way for an expanded search-and-rescue effort that had been hampered by safety concerns while the unstable section was still standing.

“Last night’s demolition of the remaining portion of Champlain Towers South was executed exactly as planned,” Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said during her daily update the next morning. “Only dust landed on the existing pile,” the mayor added, confirming the intent of implosion consultant Controlled Demolition Inc. (CDI) working with demolition contractor BG Group. As a consequence, Levine Cava said, “by 1 a.m., we were in full search-and-rescue operation mode.”

On the morning of July 5, the number of confirmed deaths had risen to 27, with 118 still missing. That number may rise more quickly now. The unstable remaining structure of the 40-year-old residential building had limited search and rescue to less than half of the existing rubble pile, Mark Loizeaux, president of CDI, told ENR.

“Bringing the building down in a controlled manner was critical to expanding our scope of search,” said Levine Cava. “Truly we could not continue without bringing this building down.”

Important to officials, engineers and others investigating the partial progressive collapse of Champlain Towers, the work that went into preparing CDI’s implosion provided more details about the structure’s condition prior to the tragedy of June 24.

Observations

From the outset, Loizeaux “wasn’t comfortable” any of his team of seven and himself accessing any other areas but the tower’s lobby level and garage—where they encountered six inches of standing water.

Working from a set of 1979 building plans posted online by the town of Surfside, Loizeaux quickly saw the existing structure did not align with the drawings. Champlain Towers had a reinforced concrete structure with flat-plate floor slabs and lightly braced shear walls. The relatively thin slabs, lightly reinforced near the top of the slab, were supported directly on columns.

While noting the plans were not verified as as-builts, Loizeaux reported the built dimensions, structural reinforcement and required concrete strength seemed to vary—at least in certain locations. The variations were not necessarily consistent.

In one area, for example, the columns measured 24 in. in diameter, while the plans showed them to be 16 in. in diameter. On the other hand, Loizeaux reported, columns in one section of the building should have been constructed with 6,000-psi concrete, according to the plans. Instead, he estimated—without verifying via testing—the concrete’s actual strength was “not even close” and “much softer” than 6,000 psi.

CDI didn’t take any core samples, Loizeaux said. But when he asked two of his drillers, separately, to describe the strength of the concrete, both replied, “Really, really soft,” he says.

Loizeaux did not observe much corrosion in the reinforcing steel. “I didn’t see any poor construction methods," he adds. "I didn’t see anything like that.”

rubble of Champlain tower

The remaining portion of the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside, Fla., was brought down by implosion on July 4.

Implosion Plan

There were two main goals for the implosion: Drop the building so that none of it falls on the immediately adjacent existing rubble pile; and completely avoid the high-traffic, utility-laden Collins Avenue, an estimated 20 ft from the tower’s north end, according to Loizeaux.

While CDI advised authorities to cover the “historic debris” pile with geotextile fabric, Loizeaux explained the plan was to “roll” the building in an opposing direction—but not too far. With a host of utilities underneath and along Collins Avenue, Florida DOT crews placed a layer of granular material across a section of the roadway to prevent damage. In the end, it wasn't needed, says Loizeaux.

CDI used delays to stage the implosion devices—all of which detonated within 4.9 seconds. The southern end of the structure was rotated west and then the north end of the structure was brought down south-southwest, according to CDI.

The focus of the take-down plan was the structure’s second-floor transfer beam system, which he described as “very deep.” Comparing the transfer beams to a table with four legs, the explosives had the effect of first “tilting” that table to the south and west, thereby twisting it around and then picking up the northeast end of the table.

The explosives then dropped the transfer beam 10 ft into the basement, so columns designed to take vertical load were on an angle, and “the shear loads in those columns" just tore them apart, Loizeaux says.

Based on his observations of the concrete and other conditions of the structure, he "felt that if I tilted the table and dropped it, that the upper structure would come apart.”

At the end of the event, there was no debris on Collins Avenue and no utilities were interrupted, “And we didn't even have a broken window in the adjacent building,” Loizeaux says.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Miami Condo Collapse First 911 Calls Released! [CC] Champlain Towers​

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Miami Condo Collapse: How A Pool Deck Brings Down Buildings​

Here is the video he references in the last few minutes above.

Champlain Towers South - Crane Collapse (June 9, 1980)​

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Inside Miami Condo Collapse Ring Camera Frame By Frame​

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Behind the scenes video

Miami Condo Collapse 4K Video From Street What News WON'T Show!​

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

97 Surfside condo collapse victims identified; Officials believe there is one more​

Dozens of people are dead following the collapse of a residential building in Surfside. The incident happened at about 1:30 a.m. on June 24.

Thirty-five victims were pulled from the structure and two were pulled from the rubble that same day, including a teenager.

The first victim, Stacie Dawn Fang, was identified June 25, with additional people continuing to be identified.

Champlain Towers South was demolished at about 10:30 p.m. on July 4.

The rescue efforts shifted to recovery on July 8, two weeks after the initial collapse.

Authorities have identified 97 victims, including 96 who were recovered from the collapse site and one who died in the hospital, Miami-Dade County officials said.

The identified victims, in alphabetical order, include:

Thirty-five victims were pulled from the structure and two were pulled from the rubble that same day, including a teenager.

The first victim, Stacie Dawn Fang, was identified June 25, with additional people continuing to be identified. Champlain Towers South was demolished at about 10:30 p.m. on July 4. The rescue efforts shifted to recovery on July 8, two weeks after the initial collapse. Authorities have identified 97 victims, including 96 who were recovered from the collapse site and one who died in the hospital, Miami-Dade County officials said.

The identified victims, in alphabetical order, include:

Not Available (At the family's request), 7
Ingrid Ainsworth, 66
Tzvi Ainsworth, 68
Michael David Altman, 50
Valeria Barth, 14
Deborah Berezdivin, 21
Luis Bermudez, 26
Claudio Bonnefoy, 85
Maria Obias-Bonnefoy, 69
Moises Rodan Brief, 28
Andrea Cattarossi, 56
Gino Cattatarossi, 89
Graciela Cattarossi, 86
Graciela Cattarossi, 48
Brad Cohen, 51
Gary Cohen, 58
Magaly Elena Delgado, 80
Christina Beatriz Elvira, 74
Bonnie Epstein, 56
David Epstein, 58
Stacie Dawn Fang, 54

Stacie Dawn Fang died of blunt force trauma following the building collapse Thursday, according to her death certificate. She was pronounced dead at 3:38 a.m. Thursday at Aventura Hospital & Medical Center. Fang was the mother of the teen pulled from the rubble Thursday, according to officials. Her family released the following statement: “There are no words to describe the tragic loss of our beloved Stacie.

The members of the Fang and Handler family would like to express our deepest appreciation for the outpouring of sympathy, compassion and support we have received. The many heartfelt words of encouragement and love have served as a much needed source of strength during this devastating time. On behalf of Stacie’s son, Jonah, we ask you now to please respect our privacy to grieve and to try to help each other heal.”

Francis Fernandez, 67
Andreas Giannitsopoulos, 21
Anastasiya Gromova, 24
Emma Guara, 4
Lucia Guara, 10
Marcus Joseph Guara, 52
Frank Kleiman, 55
Jay Kleiman, 52
Nancy Kress Levin, 76
Andres Levine, 26
Antonio Lozano, 83
Gladys Lozano, 79

Antonio and Gladys Lozano were found in the rubble Saturday, according to WSVN. The Lozano's are relatives of the station's chief meteorologist. Manuel LaFont, 54

Gloria Machado, 71
Ruslan Manashirov, 36
Linda March, 58
Juan Alberto Mora, 80
Juan Alberto Mora Jr., 32
Luis Lopez Moreira III, 3
Sophia Lopez Moreira, 36
Ilan Naibryf, 21

Hilda Noriega, 92 The Noriega family released a statement on the North Bay Village Facebook page. "It is with great sadness that we announce the tragic passing of Hilda Noriega, the mother of Police Chief Carlos Noriega.

The Noriega family was notified last evening of the recovery and positive identification of his mother from the Champlain Towers South catastrophic scene. The family would like to thank all the hundreds of first responders, who bravely and selflessly risked their lives to locate his mother and other innocent victims found to date. The family would also like to thank Governor DeSantis, Mayor Levine-Cava, Senator Rubio, Senator Pizzo, Senator Book, and all the other elected officials and administrators, who showed unprecedented leadership, courage and compassion during this extremely difficult time. The Noriegas have lost the 'heart and soul' and 'matriarch' of their family, but will get through this time by embracing the unconditional love Hilda was known for. The family has asked for privacy as they deal with this horrific and painful loss."

Maria Notkin, 81
Leon Oliwkowicz, 80
Anna Ortiz, 46
Aishani Gia Patel, 1
Bhavna Patel, 36
Vishai Patel, 42
Michelle Anna Pazos, 23
Luis Pettengill, 36
Maria Popa, 79
Simon Segal, 80
Mihai Radulescu, 82
Anaely Rodriguez, 42
Harold Rosenberg, 52
Maria Teresa Rovirosa, 58
Luis F. Barth Tobar, 51
Gonzalo Torre, 81
Mercedes Fuentes Urgelles, 61
Raymond Urgelles, 61
Angela Velasquez, 60
Theresa Velasquez, 36
Leidy Vanessa Luna Villalba, 23
Benny Weisz, 31

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The remains of the final victim at the site of the condo collapse in Surfside, Florida, have been found and identified, according to family members.

The family members told NBC 6 that the remains of Estelle Hedaya were found, bringing the total number of victims identified to 98. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava later confirmed in a news conference Monday that the final victim was recovered, and Miami-Dade police later confirmed her identity.