• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Surviving the Sun

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
TS can HTF a lot of different ways. It can be economic, political, or social (or a combination). It can be a "natural" disaster or health emergency. It can affect just your life, your family, your community, your country, or the entire world. Let's go there -- the entire world.

Because our human world (and therefore survival) has been constructed upon microscopic circuits operating on infinitesimal electrical current we have made our very existence as humans vulnerable to a significant solar event.

In case you haven't been paying attention, here is some background homework:

This has me thinking on a new level about survival. As I follow my thoughts to their logical conclusions I realize that my preparations are inadequate for a post-electric human existence.

Human life continuity requires six key components. I list them here in the order of "importance" (that is, how quickly one would die without them):

1. Breathable air
2. Drinkable water
3. Food
4. Shelter (includes clothing)
5. Energy (heat, cooking, lighting)
6. Defensive weapon

As a thought experiment, I would like to address each one of these items in relation to a post-electric world and identify key challenges for personal survival. One thing that is not on the list, but is incredibly important to human survival is "community" (and family). A lot of my recent thoughts have revolved around how I can or cannot help my parents, children, siblings, etc. depending on the mayhem that ensues following "Lights out." A depressing thought is that we will only have an hour MAXIMUM of advance warning -- probably much less.

1. Breathable air -- We take this for granted. But I can see health threats arising in a post-electric world, especially if people have to resort to emergency heating. Carbon monoxide poisoning due to improper use of space heaters. General toxins from the burning of anything and everything necessary to provide heat to prevent freezing to death. This will be more concentrated in population centers as opposed to country settings. Far worse yet is the inevitable nuclear meltdowns at power plants.

2. Drinkable water -- I have a well. I am fortunate that my water is shallow (less than 20'). I have ordered a hand pump that I am going to fit to the top of my well casing. I will not leave it there, but I will store it for emergency use. I even ordered a second pump just to have a backup. Water is too important. But what if this is in February here in Wisconsin? Will I be able to use the pump in winter? Will it have to be installed for a single use, then removed and drained? Will I have to deal with any ice in my well casing? Maybe we will have snow we can melt (and filter through the Berkey).

3. Food -- This is the part of preps that everyone thinks about. We have a chest freezer full of meat. If power goes out our plan is to start preserving the meat through canning or smoking, while using some of it (we need to get a good stove-top pressure cooker for the canning as well as an adequate supply of canning jars and lids). This will take place over many days as it thaws (unless it is winter, then the freezer goes outside where it can function like an ice box). Besides our beans and rice (spices, etc.) we are fortunate to be surrounded with hundreds of acres of woods full of deer. However, I know every neighbor around me will likewise not hesitate to start harvesting the deer. At some point deer may get scarce. This will be especially true if greedy people are turning a huge profit selling venison.

4. Shelter -- I feel pretty good about our clothing situation. Our house is designed to be self-sufficient. All in all, we have a good place to hunker down for the long haul. We are also blessed to have lots of family for neighbors up and down the road. I believe it will become essentially for local neighborhoods to build synergies to look out for one another. (Especially when the raiding begins.) It might also be good to plan on digging an outhouse unless I am planning on carrying water to fill the toilet after every flush.

5. Energy -- We have a wood cookstove and propane range. Once the propane is gone, it is gone. I have been thinking about the wood situation lately. I generally put up enough(ish) wood to get through the hard part of winter, then cut a little bit for the cool part of spring. Problem is that my chainsaws and splitter run on gasoline. I am thinking that I need to be keeping a nice pile of cord wood -- at least a year in advance. Or I might be using an axe, hand saw, and maul. Another weakness I recently realized is lighting. It seems so obvious -- we need candles! (and matches) I will be working on solving this ASAP. Should be cheap, easy to store, and shelf life is indefinite. I don't want to go through a Wisconsin winter without lights.

6. Defensive weapon -- This is not a hard prep, but it is a hard concept. When people become desperate... when people are actually starving... is it right to kill them to protect your own hoard? There are some serious moral dilemmas to consider when it comes to defending yourself and your home in a SHTF catastrophe. It seems different to me morally from the idea of killing someone who is trying to harm you out of sheer greed or malice.

The worst thing about this scenario will be the complete blackout of communication (and information... and therefore possibly any form of government or rule of law). I will not know what is happening to my parents in Des Moines. I will not be able to go there (?) and bring them back with me. My daughters might be at college (several hours away). Will any vehicles run? How much fuel will I be able to carry with me?

Based upon the science (galactic current sheet, six thousand year cycle, weakening magnetic shield, magnetic pole migration and reversal) it seems inevitable that this is going to happen in my lifetime. Ben is calling for it in the 2030s or 2040s. However, he also points out that a Carrington Event solar flare could occur as the sun is beginning to become perturbed by the galactic magnetic wave. On a 6,000 year cycle, we are right on the edge of this event -- it is imminent.

Suggestions?

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
TS can HTF a lot of different ways. It can be economic, political, or social (or a combination). It can be a "natural" disaster or health emergency. It can affect just your life, your family, your community, your country, or the entire world. Let's go there -- the entire world.

Because our human world (and therefore survival) has been constructed upon microscopic circuits operating on infinitesimal electrical current we have made our very existence as humans vulnerable to a significant solar event.

This has me thinking on a new level about survival. As I follow my thoughts to their logical conclusions I realize that my preparations are inadequate for a post-electric human existence.

Human life continuity requires six key components. I list them here in the order of "importance" (that is, how quickly one would die without them):

1. Breathable air
2. Drinkable water
3. Food
6. Defensive weapon

As a thought experiment, I would like to address each one of these items in relation to a post-electric world and identify key challenges for personal survival. One thing that is not on the list, but is incredibly important to human survival is "community" (and family). A lot of my recent thoughts have revolved around how I can or cannot help my parents, children, siblings, etc. depending on the mayhem that ensues following "Lights out." A depressing thought is that we will only have an hour MAXIMUM of advance warning -- probably much less.

1. Breathable air -- We take this for granted. But I can see health threats arising in a post-electric world, especially if people have to resort to emergency heating. Carbon monoxide poisoning due to improper use of space heaters. General toxins from the burning of anything and everything necessary to provide heat to prevent freezing to death. This will be more concentrated in population centers as opposed to country settings. Far worse yet is the inevitable nuclear meltdowns at power plants.

2. Drinkable water -- I have a well. I am fortunate that my water is shallow (less than 20'). I have ordered a hand pump that I am going to fit to the top of my well casing. I will not leave it there, but I will store it for emergency use. I even ordered a second pump just to have a backup. Water is too important. But what if this is in February here in Wisconsin? Will I be able to use the pump in winter? Will it have to be installed for a single use, then removed and drained? Will I have to deal with any ice in my well casing? Maybe we will have snow we can melt (and filter through the Berkey).

3. Food -- This is the part of preps that everyone thinks about. We have a chest freezer full of meat. If power goes out our plan is to start preserving the meat through canning or smoking, while using some of it (we need to get a good stove-top pressure cooker for the canning as well as an adequate supply of canning jars and lids). This will take place over many days as it thaws (unless it is winter, then the freezer goes outside where it can function like an ice box). Besides our beans and rice (spices, etc.) we are fortunate to be surrounded with hundreds of acres of woods full of deer. However, I know every neighbor around me will likewise not hesitate to start harvesting the deer. At some point deer may get scarce. This will be especially true if greedy people are turning a huge profit selling venison.

4. Shelter -- I feel pretty good about our clothing situation. Our house is designed to be self-sufficient. All in all, we have a good place to hunker down for the long haul. We are also blessed to have lots of family for neighbors up and down the road. I believe it will become essentially for local neighborhoods to build synergies to look out for one another. (Especially when the raiding begins.) It might also be good to plan on digging an outhouse unless I am planning on carrying water to fill the toilet after every flush.

5. Energy -- We have a wood cookstove and propane range. Once the propane is gone, it is gone. I have been thinking about the wood situation lately. I generally put up enough(ish) wood to get through the hard part of winter, then cut a little bit for the cool part of spring. Problem is that my chainsaws and splitter run on gasoline. I am thinking that I need to be keeping a nice pile of cord wood -- at least a year in advance. Or I might be using an axe, hand saw, and maul. Another weakness I recently realized is lighting. It seems so obvious -- we need candles! (and matches) I will be working on solving this ASAP. Should be cheap, easy to store, and shelf life is indefinite. I don't want to go through a Wisconsin winter without lights.

6. Defensive weapon -- This is not a hard prep, but it is a hard concept. When people become desperate... when people are actually starving... is it right to kill them to protect your own hoard? There are some serious moral dilemmas to consider when it comes to defending yourself and your home in a SHTF catastrophe. It seems different to me morally from the idea of killing someone who is trying to harm you out of sheer greed or malice.

The worst thing about this scenario will be the complete blackout of communication (and information... and therefore possibly any form of government or rule of law). I will not know what is happening to my parents in Des Moines. I will not be able to go there (?) and bring them back with me. My daughters might be at college (several hours away). Will any vehicles run? How much fuel will I be able to carry with me?

Based upon the science (galactic current sheet, six thousand year cycle, weakening magnetic shield, magnetic pole migration and reversal) it seems inevitable that this is going to happen in my lifetime. Ben is calling for it in the 2030s or 2040s. However, he also points out that a Carrington Event solar flare could occur as the sun is beginning to become perturbed by the galactic magnetic wave. On a 6,000 year cycle, we are right on the edge of this event -- it is imminent.

Suggestions?
Ben has an entire disaster playlist on his channel. usually links to it under the video. A come, bad but we will recover although it could be a few decades to do so. The bigger one, a micro nova event, is the one that will send us back to the stone ages. 90-95% of the worlds population is gone after one of those events. In all probability anyway. Our ancestors were all survivors of the last one. Thats the good news so we have it in our blood to survive.
There are 2 theories about the 12,000 year catastrophe cycle. 1 is bens theory which holds the most water in my mind. The other is Randall Carlsons theory (Not sure if it's actually his) about a meteor impact. The reason I give Randalls theory less probablity is because I dont see a meteor crashing into earth every 12,000 years. There's also my theory which is that both of them are correct. The sun microwaves and any rock between the sun and earth then get pushed into earth creating all of the impacts.
There's also a 3rd theory that the sun micro novas and at the same time the earth reverses direction and the sun then rises and sets in the opposite direction that they do today. There is actually some decent evidence of this including myths from long ago that talk about the sun standing still in the sky. If this is how it goes down then when the earth stops spinning the bulge at the equator would flatten as well as mega tsunamis everywhere. Some say the pacific would wash over the entire US and vice versa every 12k years. There is geological evidence for this as well.

So, if your a mega millionaire you can build a huge bunker. Preferably round and deep with an escape pod in it so that you can survive a blast from the sun underground, a mega tsunami and if your buried under and ocean of water, you have an escape pod to surface with.

As you can see, it's kinda hard to prep for something of that magnitude. caves are your best bet. No one really knows for sure how this all goes down. Ancient myths are probably the best evidence of what occurs. Lots of flood myths from all over the world which gives credence to the mega tsunami theory. What order do these events occur? No one knows so how do you plan for it. If you go to a cave and the earth stops spinning you could beclouded in. On the other hand if you dont you could be scorched if the micro nova hits your side of the earth.

I'm going to take my chances where I am. If I make it I make it and my genes live on. If not then someone else will have to repopulate the planet for the next chapter of human development.

hardmoney

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, but I have decided to downsize my list things to worry about. If the Sun decides to go apesh*t, I'm just gonna let it.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

1. Breathable air
2. Drinkable water
3. Food
6. Defensive weapon

Suggestions?
Bring it on!