• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Swamp Draining Progress

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I loved after it was over and he was walking out shaking hands, but his mic was still live

Mr President please release the memo

Answer, yes 100%, count on it

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
And the focus of the deranged “resist” media

He didn’t say one word about our greatest threat “Russia”

Lol, he lives in their heads

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Trey Gowdy not running for re-election

Ah ha different source:

Trey Gowdy net worth jumps from $167000 to $4.5 million in two years. Nothing swampy about that?
The_Donald 2018-01-02 gowdy lawyer career figure congress trey
Trey Gowdy net worth jumps from $167000 to $4.5 million in two years. Nothing swampy about that?

He worked in private law practice for many years before becoming a congressman. His salary in congress is 174k per year, so that 167,000 figure doesn't make sense because your property is included in your net worth. Net worth means ALL of your worth minus all of your debts. In the 4.5m figure is likely his house and cars --- which, for a career lawyer at the age of 53, is a modest net worth. If you want to look for corrupt members of congress, look no further than 45m Maxine Waters (a lifetime public servant with a 150k salary), despite being married to a 1970s NFL player who only played 1 season. She has also been busted for lobbying in favor of a bank with ties to her family to get favorable legislation and has been ranked the most corrupt member of congress time and time again.

4.5m at 53 years old for a career lawyer who spent time in private practice is nothing absurd. Not only that, but the 167k figure is blatantly incorrect, considering he makes 174k per year in congress and his wife also has her own income. Please explain to me how having 4.5m in net assets as someone who went through law school and worked his entire career in law is excessive.

Prove his impropriety or stop defaming him, nothing in those figures is out of the ordinary. He only became a congressman in 2011, he isn't a lifetime public servant, stop demonizing routine success.

His net worth was only 167K? Wasn't he a lawyer? That seems low.

Exactly what I said--- he is a 53 year old married career lawyer and net assets includes all property and vehicles. His current salary (and 2 years ago) is 174,000 per year, so the 167k figure is just blatantly false. What's sad is we're seeing people lampoon him here for having a career. Sorry folks, 4.5m at 53 for a career lawyer is on the low side! This is even probably a bit too high for reality because he probably has a mortgage.

gowdy is paid opposition for the uniparty

nunes, jordan and grassley are our men

gowdy is not

http://rebrn.com/re/trey-gowdy-net-worth-jumps-from-to-million-in-two-years-nothing-3908830/

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
It is a really good day!!!! . .
rock.gif

Gateway Pundit comments.............

Chitown republicanan hour ago

Thank God. He was a talking head that never got anything done.

SaveUsFromRuin33 minutes ago

Gowdy has proved himself to be part of the swamp. He said this week he voted to release the Dem memo even though no one had read it. All hat no cattle. Good riddance. Now he can sit on the FoxNews Globalist New World Order talking head shows.

The Prisoner SaveUsFromRuin30 minutes ago

Don't forget his emphatic support for Mueller.

Julie The Prisoner29 minutes ago

He bragged about Mueller just this week.

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Meatzilla says:
January 31, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Trey Gowdy – seven years of publicly proudly proclaiming he’s going to hold miscreants accountable for their malfeasance, and not once has anybody ever been held accountable for anything at all. Be it Fast & Furious, Benghazi, IRS, or any other House investigation whatsoever. Just a whole lotta nada. So, “goodbye and good riddance“ to bloviating dead weight!

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Bollywood awaits another D list actor.

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Meatzilla says:

Trey Gowdy – seven years of publicly proudly proclaiming he’s going to hold miscreants accountable for their malfeasance, and not once has anybody ever been held accountable for anything at all. Be it Fast & Furious, Benghazi, IRS, or any other House investigation whatsoever. Just a whole lotta nada. So, “goodbye and good riddance“ to bloviating dead weight!

Makes me wonder why so many Rs are calling it quits...maybe Trump is uncovering unsavory truths about them and giving them a choice to go peacefully or be exposed? IDK...

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Makes me wonder why so many Rs are calling it quits...maybe Trump is uncovering unsavory truths about them and giving them a choice to go peacefully or be exposed? IDK...
winner3.gif

I need to finish eating and gather a little intel so I'll be right back and update.....

OK, of course none of this can be proved, Yet. Buuuuut....

Republicans are leaving for 2 reasons.

1) They are dirty and think they can get away

2) They are afraid of a war they would personally have to fight.

Newly inaugurated President Trump and the patriots in the US government were facing a huge problem. The FBI and DOJ are littered with traitors and could not be used. A parallel intelligence network had to be set up from scratch with only a trusted few involved. These people are just like the untouchables, they have no illusions that they are in a fight to the death and willingly took up the fight.

Following the money trail of the traitors kept leading to Saudi Arabia. Imagine that.
And oh this rabbit hole is filthy dirty and deep.........

zz11.jpg

Sane Saudis wanted their swamp cleaned up too but they needed help, we needed help too.
A deal was made. After both sides got their feet under them Prince Salman initiated a massive anti-corruption operation last year. Hundreds were arrested and they seized 106 billion in cash and assets from terror funding saudis. Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi is a major ally in all this too, he wants the muslim brotherhood eliminated.
The Saudis under Prince Salman gave our side a list of names, dates and amounts of money paid out etc. and to who.

zz13.jpg

I believe Paul Ryan was drafted. Either that or he grew some balls and decided he had to join the good guys when shown evidence of what had been going on. Ryan and Devin Nunes made a quick visit to Saudi Arabia last week. Nunes knows what is going on.

Paul Ryan looks either scared shitless or truly horrified. Maybe both.
He ain't in Kansas anymore. Hopefully he has the grit to pull this off.

zz12.jpg

Last edited:

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
................................. View attachment 98188

I need to finish eating and gather a little intel so I'll be right back and update.....

OK, of course none of this can be proved, Yet. Buuuuut....

Republicans are leaving for 2 reasons.

1) They are dirty and think they can get away

2) They are afraid of a war they would personally have to fight.

Newly inaugurated President Trump and the patriots in the US government were facing a huge problem. The FBI and DOJ are littered with traitors and could not be used. A parallel intelligence network had to be set up from scratch with only a trusted few involved. These people are just like the untouchables, they have no illusions that they are in a fight to the death and willingly took up the fight.

Following the money trail of the traitors kept leading to Saudi Arabia. Imagine that.
And oh this rabbit hole is filthy dirty and deep.........

View attachment 98192

Sane Saudis wanted their swamp cleaned up too but they needed help, we needed help too.
A deal was made. After both sides got their feet under them Prince Salman initiated a massive anti-corruption operation last year. Hundreds were arrested and they seized 106 billion in cash and assets from terror funding saudis. Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi is a major ally in all this too, he wants the muslim brotherhood eliminated.
The Saudis under Prince Salman gave our side a list of names, dates and amounts of money paid out etc. and to who.

View attachment 98193

I believe Paul Ryan was drafted. Either that or he grew some balls and decided he had to join the good guys when shown evidence of what had been going on. Ryan and Devin Nunes made a quick visit to Saudi Arabia last week. Nunes knows what is going on.

Paul Ryan looks either scared shitless or truly horrified. Maybe both.
He ain't in Kansas anymore. Hopefully he has the grit to pull this off.

View attachment 98196
As much as I distrust the Saudis, I know that not all of them are bad hombres. Hopefully you are right to a point...but this could lead down a dark path if we are also spying on Americans.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
As much as I distrust the Saudis, I know that not all of them are bad hombres. Hopefully you are right to a point...but this could lead down a dark path if we are also spying on Americans.
No offence but where have you been? TPTB have been actively, openly spying on all Americans since bush the 2 signed the patriot act.
If this crowd can clean up that mess too that would be great. I trust them to do the right thing more than any of the past 4 administrations.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Meatzilla says:

I knew it! I farking knew it!!! I knew he was controlled opposition! TraitorassMotherfarker!

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
No offence but where have you been? TPTB have been actively, openly spying on all Americans since bush the 2 signed the patriot act.
If this crowd can clean up that mess too that would be great. I trust them to do the right thing more than any of the past 4 administrations.

I know...but what I mean is if Trump & Team (TNT?) are now spying American big wigs from Saudi Arabia then the left will use that as justification to start their civil war they've been posturing for. Much to their chagrin.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I know...but what I mean is if Trump & Team (TNT?) are now spying American big wigs from Saudi Arabia then the left will use that as justification to start their civil war they've been posturing for. Much to their chagrin.
Civil war from the left is the least of my worries. They have been trying since Trump's inauguration. Who cares if antifa busts up some city?

Just kick one in the pussy and they all run off.

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
At this point even the leftists are smart enough to know that they would be extinguished within a week if they tried to start some sort of serious shit...
One good ol'boy with a box of hunting cartridges, and there goes a dozen or more sexually confused window breakers.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I’m starting to get pissed if what Fox is saying is true

1) the dems are claiming the memo was changed by republicans and there was no vote to release the altered memo
2) the White House may have made changes to appease the FBI
3 there may be up to 4 versions of the memo

Could be part of standard op procedure to discredit it or could be the swamp is winning or at least making their loss less significant

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Fox is about .2 more credible than CNN

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Beyond SOTU, Killary and THE MEMO, there is stll more activity in da swamp...

Trump's CDC director resigns after report reveals investments in tobacco, pharmaceuticals and healthcare

RT
Wed, 31 Jan 2018 18:17 UTC

© Centers for Disease Control / Reuters
Brenda Fitzgerald
The head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention resigned after it was revealed she had purchased stock in a tobacco company a month after taking the job, which oversees smoking-cessation programs, among other things.

Newly sworn-in Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar accepted Brenda Fitzgerald's resignation on Wednesday, Bloomberg reported citing the agency spokesman.

"Dr. Fitzgerald owns certain complex financial interests that have imposed a broad recusal limiting her ability to complete all of her duties as the CDC Director," HHS spokesman Matt Lloyd said. "Due to the nature of these financial statements, Dr. Fitzgerald could not divest from them in a definitive time period."

Lloyd said the department's ethics office had reviewed her financial holdings, instructing her to divest of certain holdings that might pose a conflict of interest.

Politico broke the news of Fitzgerald's tobacco stock options on Tuesday, shortly before President Donald Trump delivered his State of the Union address.

The news outlet discovered Fitzgerald had bought between $1,001 and $15,000 in Japan Tobacco stocks one month into her leadership of the agency, a post she has held since July. Japan Tobacco is one of the largest tobacco companies in the world and sells four tobacco brands in the US through a subsidiary.

"You don't buy tobacco stocks when you are the head of the CDC. It's ridiculous; it gives a terrible appearance," Richard Painter, who served as George W. Bush's chief ethics lawyer from 2005-2007, told Politico. He described the move as "tone deaf."

Politico reported a day after purchasing the stock, Fitzgerald toured the CDC's Tobacco Laboratory, which researches how the chemicals in tobacco harm human health.

Fitzgerald also has shares in drug and food companies. She owned between $1,001 and $15,000 in Merck & Co, Bayer and health insurance company Humana, as well as between $15,001 and $50,000 in US Ford Holding Co, according to Politico. The outlet also reported Fitzgerald had repeatedly been unable to testify before Congress because of her unresolved financial conflicts.

While holding stock, she participated in meetings related to the opioid crisis, hurricane response efforts, cancer and obesity, stroke prevention, polio, Zika and Ebola, according to her schedule between August 1 and October 27.

Merck has been working on developing an Ebola vaccine and also makes HIV medications. Bayer has worked with the CDC in the past to prevent the spread of the Zika virus.

Records confirm Fitzgerald sold the tobacco company shares on October 26 and all of her stock holdings above $1,000 by November 21, more than four months after becoming head of the CDC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The media is of course hammering the tobacco angle, but it's unlikely the CDC will be recommending that Americans smoke tobacco anytime soon. The REAL conflict of interest here is Fitzgerald's ownership of stock in corps that push for mandatory vaccination regulation.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I’m starting to get pissed if what Fox is saying is true

1) the dems are claiming the memo was changed by republicans and there was no vote to release the altered memo
2) the White House may have made changes to appease the FBI
3 there may be up to 4 versions of the memo

Could be part of standard op procedure to discredit it or could be the swamp is winning or at least making their loss less significant
Standard DC smokescreen bullshit. The sheep will hear about this on CNN and eat it up and the Dims will have successfully invalidated the memo's contents. This is standard procedure for the DC rats! They make the moves and the treasonous MSM control the narrative!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Trump's CDC director resigns after report reveals investments in tobacco, pharmaceuticals and healthcare

RT

Brenda Fitzgerald
The head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention resigned after it was revealed she had purchased stock in a tobacco company a month after taking the job, which oversees smoking-cessation programs, among other things.

Newly sworn-in Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar accepted Brenda Fitzgerald's resignation on Wednesday, Bloomberg reported citing the agency spokesman.

"Dr. Fitzgerald owns certain complex financial interests that have imposed a broad recusal limiting her ability to complete all of her duties as the CDC Director," HHS spokesman Matt Lloyd said. "Due to the nature of these financial statements, Dr. Fitzgerald could not divest from them in a definitive time period."

Lloyd said the department's ethics office had reviewed her financial holdings, instructing her to divest of certain holdings that might pose a conflict of interest.

Politico broke the news of Fitzgerald's tobacco stock options on Tuesday, shortly before President Donald Trump delivered his State of the Union address.

The news outlet discovered Fitzgerald had bought between $1,001 and $15,000 in Japan Tobacco stocks one month into her leadership of the agency, a post she has held since July. Japan Tobacco is one of the largest tobacco companies in the world and sells four tobacco brands in the US through a subsidiary.

"You don't buy tobacco stocks when you are the head of the CDC. It's ridiculous; it gives a terrible appearance," Richard Painter, who served as George W. Bush's chief ethics lawyer from 2005-2007, told Politico. He described the move as "tone deaf."

Politico reported a day after purchasing the stock, Fitzgerald toured the CDC's Tobacco Laboratory, which researches how the chemicals in tobacco harm human health.

Fitzgerald also has shares in drug and food companies. She owned between $1,001 and $15,000 in Merck & Co, Bayer and health insurance company Humana, as well as between $15,001 and $50,000 in US Ford Holding Co, according to Politico. The outlet also reported Fitzgerald had repeatedly been unable to testify before Congress because of her unresolved financial conflicts.

While holding stock, she participated in meetings related to the opioid crisis, hurricane response efforts, cancer and obesity, stroke prevention, polio, Zika and Ebola, according to her schedule between August 1 and October 27.

Merck has been working on developing an Ebola vaccine and also makes HIV medications. Bayer has worked with the CDC in the past to prevent the spread of the Zika virus.

Records confirm Fitzgerald sold the tobacco company shares on October 26 and all of her stock holdings above $1,000 by November 21, more than four months after becoming head of the CDC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The media is of course hammering the tobacco angle, but it's unlikely the CDC will be recommending that Americans smoke tobacco anytime soon. The REAL conflict of interest here is Fitzgerald's ownership of stock in corps that push for mandatory vaccination regulation.
Out ya go bitch!

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

RT

Brenda Fitzgerald

This is the kind of crap that kills me. We shouldn't care what someone's private investments are if they aren't illegal, immoral or unethical.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
This is the kind of crap that kills me. We shouldn't care what someone's private investments are if they aren't illegal, immoral or unethical.
Most times I would agree however; her position requires that she needs to be fully transparent and also she should be setting an example. She can own all the tobacco stock she wants but she can't be the leader of an organization that constantly tells us how bad tobacco is for our health in the meantime. It just sets a bad precedent. We want to hold are officials accountable right? Well here you go! We can't have it both ways!

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Most times I would agree however; her position requires that she needs to be fully transparent and also she should be setting an example. She can own all the tobacco stock she wants but she can't be the leader of an organization that constantly tells us how bad tobacco is for our health in the meantime. It just sets a bad precedent. We want to hold are officials accountable right? Well here you go! We can't have it both ways!
Wait, THEY have it both ways, why can't we?
It is, after all OUR country

Besides, why these people don't put their own stuff into a trust while they serve is beyond me

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Wait, THEY have it both ways, why can't we?
It is, after all OUR country

Besides, why these people don't put their own stuff into a trust while they serve is beyond me
I have no idea. These people are supposed to be smarter than the average American. I'm beginning to think otherwise!:belly laugh:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Trey Gowdy said himself he wants to get back to prosecution....wouldn't you want to be the guy to put them away if you knew you had them by the short hairs.....I would.
Yeah but besides all his stammering and shouting and grandstanding what in fact has he ever accomplished?

Question EVERYTHING!

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Trey Gowdy said himself he wants to get back to prosecution....wouldn't you want to be the guy to put them away if you knew you had them by the short hairs.....I would.
I would like to see that gowdy was honest but was hamstrung from doing anything, but I would need to see solid proof of that.
All signs up to and including right now point at swamp protector but hell I am open to being proven wrong.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Could it be D day? USS Obongo Legacy taking on water

Republican memo likely to be released Thursday -Trump administration official

FBI expresses 'grave concerns' over Republican memo's accuracy

A White House official said the four-page document was delivered to the White House on Monday after the committee voted to release it. Administration lawyers were working against a Friday deadline to determine if any of it should be redacted to protect national security, the official said.
Donald Trump Has Read Controversial FBI Intelligence Memo; Plans to Release on Friday

AFP/Getty Images

by CHARLIE SPIERING1 Feb 20181

A White House official confirmed to reporters that President Donald Trump has read the House Intelligence Committee FISA memo after the committee voted to release it to the public.
Reporters questioned the president after Democrats protested the release of the memo, but neither he nor his chief of staff John Kelly would respond to questions about whether the White House would allow its public release.

Trump is currently in West Virginia to deliver a scheduled speech to a meeting of House and Senate Republicans.

A Fox News report cites sources that say Trump will declassify the memo on Friday, despite a few technical edits made by House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer responded by demanding Speaker Paul Ryan remove Nunes as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, accusing him of “dangerous partisanship.”

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
While we're waiting on Friday's Memo drop, here's a little more swamp debris going down the drain with a bonus! Yes, the bonus is a HUGE slap in the face to Algore. Enjoy!

NOAA's dodgy 'climate and global change' fellowships axed
Gabriel Popkin
EOS News
Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:28 UTC

© Robert Thombley
Nancy Williams at McMurdo Base overlooking the Ross Sea in Antarctica in 2011.
Reduced program is one of several that usually support climate science postdoctoral research but have eliminated or suspended funding opportunities.

Nancy Williams at McMurdo Base overlooking the Ross Sea in Antarctica in 2011. Credit: Robert Thombley

Last March, Katie Travis, who was finishing a Ph.D. in atmospheric chemistry at Harvard University, got what seemed like a major boost for her budding career: She had been selected as one of eight fellows for the 2017 class of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) prestigious Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. But the announcement came with an ominous caveat-NOAA program managers did not actually have the money in hand.

With only four fellows ultimately accepted in 2017, the prestigious program is now funding fewer researchers than it ever has since it was launched in 1991.

This past August, Travis learned that her fellowship offer had been rescinded because of budget cuts. "This was the first grant I wrote myself," she said. "It was really validating for me to be selected, which is why it's so crushing that the program ended up the way it did."

Three other scientists chosen for the fellowships also found their offers revoked. With only four fellows ultimately accepted in 2017, the prestigious program is now funding fewer researchers than it ever has since it was launched in 1991. At least two other postdoctoral fellowship programs in the United States for climate scientists have also been defunded or put on hold, giving young climate scientists fewer options for continuing their careers.

Illustrious Alumni

The Climate and Global Change (CGC) program has built a reputation for preparing scientific leaders, said emeritus climate researcher Richard Somerville of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, Calif., who served on the program's steering committee in the 1990s. Some 90% of the program's 218 alumni have gone on to academic positions, according to program documents. Alumni include Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York; Heidi Cullen, chief scientist for the nonprofit organization Climate Central in Princeton, N.J.; and Jeff Severinghaus, a Scripps paleoclimatologist recently elected to the National Academy of Sciences.

Graduate students who aim to participate in the program team up with professors at host institutions to coauthor proposals. Fellowships provide 2 years of salary and benefits and funds to travel to meetings and a summer institute attended by other fellows and alumni. The program's annual budget, which has fluctuated around $2 million, "is among the best dollars NOAA spends in terms of return on investment," said Somerville.

© Michael Wojahn
Nancy Williams samples seawater from below the surface of the Chukchi Sea of the Arctic Ocean off the coast of Alaska. She measured carbon dioxide content and alkalinity in hundreds of seawater samples on board the NOAA ship Ronald H. Brown as part of an effort led by Laurie Juranek at Oregon State University to study late summer productivity in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas.
Seeta Sistla, a professor at Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass., and a 2013 fellow, said having independent funding enabled her to jump from studying the Arctic as a graduate student to researching agroforestry in the tropics during her postdoc at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Two years later, the fellowship's name recognition and connections helped her land several faculty position offers. "It opened doors that otherwise would not have been opened," she said, "both in terms of my research career and also in how I was seen when I was on the job market."

The program receives more than 100 applications annually. Program managers anticipated making eight awards in 2017, consistent with recent years, but were told by officials in NOAA's Climate Program Office in August that they could make only four, Meg Austin, a staff member at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), told Eos. The CGC program makes up a small part of the Boulder, Colo.-based nonprofit's portfolio, which also includes managing the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder.

"It was extremely disappointing, and it still is, to know that the current federal policy and the budgetary constraints, whether they're real or just a chilling effect, are directly hurting my career," said Nancy Williams, who, like Travis, was selected but ultimately not funded. Williams is finishing her Ph.D. work at Oregon State University in Corvallis and has secured a National Research Council (NRC) fellowship that will fund her postdoc at NOAA's Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory in Seattle, where she will study carbon exchange between the ocean and the atmosphere. But she will miss networking with other CGC fellows, she said-and the NRC annual salary is some $10,000 lower. "That's a lot of money when you have student loans to pay."

Diversity Takes a Hit

Especially troubling to Abigail Swann, an ecologist at the University of Washington in Seattle, is that three of the rescinded offers were to women, whereas the four who were funded are all men. That makes the 2017 class the only one in the program's 27-year history other than the first to be all male.

Swann and two program alumni wrote a letter-since signed by more than 100 program alumni, hosts, selection committee members, and others-expressing concern that the lack of diversity makes it even harder for female geoscientists to bridge the "PhD-to-Professor gap," a precarious career stage when many women scientists leave the field. They also noted that NOAA itself has committed to increasing diversity.

Austin said the eight selected applicants were ranked, and when the selection committee learned the funding had been reduced, program managers decided to fund the top four. She noted that almost 40% of all program fellows have been women. But she added that the 2017 outcome was "unfortunate."

The selection committee members discussed gender diversity and even read recent reports on implicit bias while reviewing applications, said David McGee, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) paleoclimatologist who chaired the 2017 committee. In addition to gender, the committee strives for a geographically diverse class that represents different areas of climate and global change science, he added. He said that committee members did not intend to rank their selections, and he believes there was a "misunderstanding" with program managers at UCAR. McGee signed the letter and said he hopes the program adds gender diversity as an explicit goal.

Murky Future?

The program's future is uncertain, however. Recruiting for the 2018 class would normally have begun last August, but because of uncertainty surrounding the 2018 budget, application materials were posted just this week. A NOAA spokesperson said that although agency officials continue to see the program as "important," because of budget uncertainties, "NOAA's conservative plan is to award 4 fellowships this year as well."

The delay and uncertainty compound an already difficult funding situation for early-career climate scientists, Travis said. In addition to the CGC program, a smaller NOAA program, Postdocs Applying Climate Expertise, did not accept any fellows in 2017 and will not in 2018. What's more, a National Science Foundation (NSF) program that has funded 45 postdocs in atmospheric and geospace sciences since August 2014, including many who study climate and global change, has not accepted any new applications since January 2016. Amanda Adams, a program director at NSF, said the program is "paused" while the agency assesses its effectiveness and that the hiatus is not related to budgetary considerations.

Postdocs can also receive support from their institutions or from the professors with whom they work. But funding postdocs is "really, really difficult" for faculty, says McGee, because it requires having a large grant or other source of money to pay their salary and benefits. Such funding typically requires postdocs to do research aligned with an existing project, rather than develop their own.

"Graduate students are probably always somewhat concerned" about funding, said Swann, "but I think they're feeling extra stressed right now."

Despite the challenging environment, Travis still hopes to land a job at a university or federal agency. She got a break when MIT, her current institution, stepped in with a year of support after the NOAA offer fell through. But that money runs out in June, and she still needs to secure another source of funds. "It made starting my postdoc really stressful-I immediately felt like I had to start applying for funding again," she said. "It slowed my research down for sure."

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Donald Trump Has Read Controversial FBI Intelligence Memo; Plans to Release on Friday

AFP/Getty Images

by CHARLIE SPIERING1 Feb 20181

A White House official confirmed to reporters that President Donald Trump has read the House Intelligence Committee FISA memo after the committee voted to release it to the public.
Reporters questioned the president after Democrats protested the release of the memo, but neither he nor his chief of staff John Kelly would respond to questions about whether the White House would allow its public release.

Trump is currently in West Virginia to deliver a scheduled speech to a meeting of House and Senate Republicans.

A Fox News report cites sources that say Trump will declassify the memo on Friday, despite a few technical edits made by House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer responded by demanding Speaker Paul Ryan remove Nunes as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, accusing him of “dangerous partisanship.”

yeah but WHICH Friday?

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Trump keeps fking around some lib judge is going to issue order against him releasing the fking memo
Who knows...that might be his strategy. That way, he can continue to play the victim game. I have to ask, what if those of us who want the memo released are wrong, and this is just gyrations begun by Nunes?

Always question your position.

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Meanwhile, a key emerging criticism of the (still secret) memo is that one of its main accusations — at least one that has been publicly discussed — is that the Justice Department relied in part on the unverified, Clinton-funded, oppo-research Trump dossier to win a secret warrant to spy on sometime Trump campaign foreign policy adviser Carter Page. The critics say that by objecting to the treatment of Page, Republicans have staked their credibility and prestige on a sketchy character who had mysterious contacts with Russians. Is Page really someone Republicans want to defend?

"Remember, if the stories today have it right, the memo lunatics are saying the FBI had no right to spy on CARTER PAGE," Commentary editor John Podhoretz tweeted. "CARTER PAGE, people."

"A Pickett's Charge on behalf of Carter Page," added TPM's Josh Marshall. "Helluva hill to die on."

Perhaps the critics are right. Just as Nunes' detractors have not seen the memo, neither have his defenders, so no one on the outside can accurately describe its contents. Whatever the case, though, it's worth stepping back to look at Republican concerns about the Page affair, and what the memo might reveal about the FBI's pursuit of him, and what that might mean about the larger Trump-Russia investigation.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/b...ask-all-this-over-carter-page/article/2647777