• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

TAEZZAR KILLED A F******G TURKEY THIS EVENING - NOW WHAT ?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well I had enough of 40 turkeys eating my geese's food and shitting around my pond. I have picked up 2 full 5 gallon buckets in the last 3 weeks !
I am busy prepping for my trip to the coast & these turkeys kept coming over from my neighbors yard. I threw rocks at them to no avail.
So I grabbed my 410 snake charmer & fired at a group of about 16, just to run them off. I am a rifle shooter & don't do shot guns much, so I hit one of them.
I cut out the breast & put the remainder out for tomorrows vultures, they need a meal.

Point of thread, NOW WHAT KEMOSABE ?
Anyone have a recipe for wild turkey breast?
They are in the fridge.
Do I soak them in milk & if so, how long?
What is the best way to cook the breasts?
AND YES, I had to pick out a few pellets !
Next time it will be a 22 head shot !!
No photos, he might have had his body copyrighted ! :secret:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
my first wild turkey i killed i dutifully dressed it out like a store bought......got the girl unit to cook it up......tried to eat a drumstick...no way no how was pure tendons......breast was dry and hard to eat but edible(edit to gnawable)

talked to a avid turkey hunter.........next one or more i killed i just breasted them out like you did.....

tried several methods of marinating ...frying...etc...still very dry and hard to eat...(damn girl units fault for sure)

talked to another avid turkey hunter......advice....grind it up and use it as a ground turkey product

did that.....was edible in that form...(not exactly sure the ussage the girl unit did but i think as a adder to things like chili,sausage, etc)(also added to dog food)

quit turkey hunting cause it was more like harvesting ...too easy....and harvest was not attractive edibly

BUT....if you get and confirm a good way of cooking them please share....and i will go back to harvesting them :)

just my opinion of course

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
my first wild turkey i killed i dutifully dressed it out like a store bought......got the girl unit to cook it up......tried to eat a drumstick...no way no how was pure tendons......breast was dry and hard to eat but edible(edit to gnawable)

talked to a avid turkey hunter.........next one or more i killed i just breasted them out like you did.....

tried several methods of marinating ...frying...etc...still very dry and hard to eat...(damn girl units fault for sure)

talked to another avid turkey hunter......advice....grind it up and use it as a ground turkey product

did that.....was edible in that form...(not exactly sure the ussage the girl unit did but i think as a adder to things like chili,sausage, etc)(also added to dog food)

quit turkey hunting cause it was more like harvesting ...too easy....and harvest was not attractive edibly

BUT....if you get and confirm a good way of cooking them please share....and i will go back to harvesting them :)

just my opinion of course
Thanks ttazzman. Your experience is similar to some that I have heard. I have heard to soak the breast in milk or buttermilk, don't know how long.
I will call a couple of buddies in the morning I see what I can find.
Yes, I will keep you posted.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I just skin em and make soup out of them, or freeze them for winter soup. I keep the legs. When the soup is almost done, pull the legs out and debone them and put the meat back in the soup.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We have huge groups of turkeys always cruising the neighborhood on a regular basis. I have no need to take any for meat and they don't really cause me any grief so no plans to shoot any. That being said, if things were to change and I'm forced to hunt them for food, do they taste gamey (sp?) compared to the turkeys you buy at the market?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We will soon know !

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
You guys are wrecking my conception of wild turkeys.:rage 1 Only ever seen like twenty in my life and all in MT. Guy I visited there cooked one up in a gravy type sauce and it was quite good. Part that always kills me is the hero shots with a hunter behind the bird looking like he/she is dorking it. :laughing: Let us know how ya cooked and how it tasted please.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
We have huge groups of turkeys always cruising the neighborhood on a regular basis. I have no need to take any for meat and they don't really cause me any grief so no plans to shoot any. That being said, if things were to change and I'm forced to hunt them for food, do they taste gamey (sp?) compared to the turkeys you buy at the market?
They aren't gamey at all, it's just the texture. The white meat is drier and the dark meat is full of tendons. Taste is better than domestic turkeys, IMO.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Here are a couple of photos of more turkey's than you have ever seen.

Turkey 2019...jpg

turkeys 2019.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
They aren't gamey at all, it's just the texture. The white meat is drier and the dark meat is full of tendons. Taste is better than domestic turkeys, IMO.
My buddy just told me this . :2 thumbs up:

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Cut the breast out, soak overnight if you want, slice breast into thin strips, egg, flour,spices, beer batter....fry it up, enjoy.
I believe you'll like it.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Cut the breast out, soak overnight if you want, slice breast into thin strips, egg, flour,spices, beer batter....fry it up, enjoy.
That sounds like a winner ! :gracious:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I vastly prefer wild turkey over domestic. We only eat the breasts, but I have not seen any mention of the really best way to do 'em:

You get a "brown-in bag" to hold the turkey while it cooks in the oven. I've gotten a lotsa turkeys and tried them a lotsa ways. Most ways ARE good. But the brown-in-bag method is far and away the best.

And you've prolly already noticed, but compared to domestic turkey breast color, wild turkey breast looks like dark meat.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I vastly prefer wild turkey over domestic. We only eat the breasts, but I have not seen any mention of the really best way to do 'em:

You get a "brown-in bag" to hold the turkey while it cooks in the oven. I've gotten a lotsa turkeys and tried them a lotsa ways. Most ways ARE good. But the brown-in-bag method is far and away the best.

And you've prolly already noticed, but compared to domestic turkey breast color, wild turkey breast looks like dark meat.
Well, Unca, if it turns out as good as you & the others say, it looks like we'll be eaten a lot of wild turkey.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
May I casually toss out the idea of you getting fairly close to the herd with your popgun and aim for the head?

They don't make as much of a racket thataway. And you don't have bulletholes in your dinner.

Jeez, I am so fargin jealous. My 12ga turkey shotgun shoots 3 1/2" super turkey loads. I could go nuts at your place.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
You guys are wrecking my conception of wild turkeys.:rage 1 Only ever seen like twenty in my life and all in MT. Guy I visited there cooked one up in a gravy type sauce and it was quite good. Part that always kills me is the hero shots with a hunter behind the bird looking like he/she is dorking it. :laughing: Let us know how ya cooked and how it tasted please.

yep.......gravy sauce ....will cure anything.....that is jogging my memory...works good on tough ole squirrels too...

as far as harvesting them.......i have used a blind .......and shot my limit without the flock ever leaving till i got out of the blind.....

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I wuz deer hunting in black powder season. My shooter is a Big Boar .58 caliber (yeah -- 58cal -- it shoots a 555-grain conical with 110gr of powder.)

Heard a rustling from the side and peeked over; about fifty feet away was a nice big tom turkey. I knew that if I body shot it, I would have to lick the bullet to get any meat from the bird, so I lined up for a head shot. BOOM!~! Fargin head blew off, and the turkey stood there for two or three seconds before kinda sitting down.

DANGIT. Damn' near forgot to tell you why the Brown-In Bag thingy is the best -- others here have mentioned that wild turkey breast meat is drier than commercial. The Brown-In Bag keeps the meat as moist as commercial, but with far, far better flavor.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My shooter is a Big Boar .58 caliber (yeah -- 58cal -- it shoots a 555-grain conical with 110gr of powder.)
Unca, that's 3x my 06 bullet & double the powder, you be a much tougher dude than I !

edit: May I casually toss out the idea of you getting fairly close to the herd with your popgun and aim for the head?

Look at the last line of my list in original post. (Next time it will be a 22 head shot !! )

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I did one wild turkey "brown n bag" style in the oven and it tasted good, but I'm leery of the chemicals in the bag, which I don't need leaching into my dinner.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I see quite a few in NE wyoming.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
You guys are wrecking my conception of wild turkeys
hey up pit,
they started transporting them in many areas trying to increase the populations from once almost endangered, or disappearing status.

they have taken very well virtually wherever the DNR has placed them, and then spreading out from there.

we now see many turkeys continuously, and in large groups

I don't know how your weather would be for them if they tried the same?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
hey up pit,
they started transporting them in many areas trying to increase the populations from once almost endangered, or disappearing status.

they have taken very well virtually wherever the DNR has placed them, and then spreading out from there.

we now see many turkeys continuously, and in large groups

I don't know how your weather would be for them if they tried the same?
Scorp, a few guys have raised them and let them loose but they either get to be coyote food or die from lack of food and freezing[guess they still end up as coyote food]. Getting enough to eat and safe places to roost would be a big disadvantage here. The ring neck pheasant doesn't make it here either. I've got some pretty snazzy calls that we play with the tame birds with though.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I bake turkey in a roaster pan w/ lid. Should fit if only doing the breast or just tent with aluminum foil.
I use a slower cooking method of 300 degrees F. and butter massage the meat. For a whole turkey I'll use a stick of butter and leave the rest in the roast pan to melt, and baste every 20 min. after the first hour. If the breast still is on the rib cage cook meat side up. I prefer the skin left on too when possible. If no skin find a small wire rack that can keep the meat off the pan bottom.
Using a cooking thermometer check meat temp every time you baste, and be generous with the basting.
Once the meat gets to 160 degrees F you can take the tent or lid off to brown the meat for about 15 min. or how ever you like the color. No longer than 30 min. REMOVE Meat from the oven and COVER with lid, or Tent Tighter and LET the BIRD/MEAT sit for at least 20 minutes before carving.
The meat will self cook up to the 170 temp they recommend for breast meat.
The breast meat should look moist when you start to cut, but no raw meat should be there. If so put back in and check temps until 170 degrees is reached.

I HATE dried Turkey meat. I do get compliments for my Roasted Turkey and my late MIL made me her "designated turkey cooker" and it has stuck ever since.

I hope this helps.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Dunno about wild but, domestic demands deep frying. That’s about the only way I’ll eat it anymore.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well, that's what I did, except for the overnight soak. You did not say what kind of soak. Salt water?
So here are some pic's of dinner tonight. The turkey was good, just a bit tough, but not bad. The flavor was quite close to Butter Ball.
For out T-giving turkey, I do it in a Weber with indirect heat for about 6 hours. I have been asked to do it every year for over 20 years.
I turn it breast down for the last hour & the breast is very moist & tender.
Anyhow here is our dinner. I cut the breast cross grain & about 3/16 thick.
Thanks to all for your input ! :2 thumbs up:

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Unca, that's 3x my 06 bullet & double the powder, you be a much tougher dude than I !

edit: May I casually toss out the idea of you getting fairly close to the herd with your popgun and aim for the head?

Look at the last line of my list in original post. (Next time it will be a 22 head shot !! )
The guys in my hunt club used to say that my monster would kill, skin, and cook the deer with one shot. I never had a deer or hog run after being shot (except the time I got in a terrible fight with a big hog with a busted front leg). His leg, not mine.

Here's a pic of two bullets. Both were recovered from killed deer. The little one is a 120gr 30.06. The slightly larger one is a 555gr (about 12 to the pound).

583006.jpg

Funny trivia: My darling wifelet can put her fingie down the fargin barrel of my Big Boar.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I bake turkey in a roaster pan w/ lid. Should fit if only doing the breast or just tent with aluminum foil.
I use a slower cooking method of 300 degrees F. and butter massage the meat. For a whole turkey I'll use a stick of butter and leave the rest in the roast pan to melt, and baste every 20 min. after the first hour. If the breast still is on the rib cage cook meat side up. I prefer the skin left on too when possible. If no skin find a small wire rack that can keep the meat off the pan bottom.
Using a cooking thermometer check meat temp every time you baste, and be generous with the basting.
Once the meat gets to 160 degrees F you can take the tent or lid off to brown the meat for about 15 min. or how ever you like the color. No longer than 30 min. REMOVE Meat from the oven and COVER with lid, or Tent Tighter and LET the BIRD/MEAT sit for at least 20 minutes before carving.
The meat will self cook up to the 170 temp they recommend for breast meat.
The breast meat should look moist when you start to cut, but no raw meat should be there. If so put back in and check temps until 170 degrees is reached.

I HATE dried Turkey meat. I do get compliments for my Roasted Turkey and my late MIL made me her "designated turkey cooker" and it has stuck ever since.

I hope this helps.

Your recipe and mine are very similar. :beer: "Slow cook" and let sit before carving. I do ten minutes.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well, that's what I did, except for the overnight soak. You did not say what kind of soak. Salt water?
So here are some pic's of dinner tonight. The turkey was good, just a bit tough, but not bad. The flavor was quite close to Butter Ball.
For out T-giving turkey, I do it in a Weber with indirect heat for about 6 hours. I have been asked to do it every year for over 20 years.
I turn it breast down for the last hour & the breast is very moist & tender.
Anyhow here is our dinner. I cut the breast cross grain & about 3/16 thick.
Thanks to all for your input ! :2 thumbs up:

View attachment 132653
View attachment 132654
View attachment 132655
I'll be there in 6 hours for the leftovers :)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
How about one of those turkey deep fryers?
(*snork*)

Them things is sold to folks tryna burn their whole block down. Don't even THINK of it. EVER. So far, 682 burn injuries and $8MM in property damage.

A guy had one set up in an open field so that there could be no chance of starting a forest fire. He was going to fry a turkey for the hunt club gang.

CAREFULLY... he eeeased the turkey into the pot.

Which boiled over and enveloped him in flame. He got out of the fireball with sunburn and smokey, crispy falling-out hair. YAY! We were laughing like hell, but we could not get close enough to throw dirt on the burning pot. Then the fuel pipe started getting wonky and we all ran for it.

Sure nuff, the fargin LP gas tank exploded.

We did NOT get any turkey that night. :bomb 1:

MORAL OF THE STORY: If you know someone who has one, accidentally steal it and throw it in the nearest dump.

Last edited:

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Well I had enough of 40 turkeys eating my geese's food and shitting around my pond. I have picked up 2 full 5 gallon buckets in the last 3 weeks !
I am busy prepping for my trip to the coast & these turkeys kept coming over from my neighbors yard. I threw rocks at them to no avail.
So I grabbed my 410 snake charmer & fired at a group of about 16, just to run them off. I am a rifle shooter & don't do shot guns much, so I hit one of them.
I cut out the breast & put the remainder out for tomorrows vultures, they need a meal.

Point of thread, NOW WHAT KEMOSABE ?
Anyone have a recipe for wild turkey breast?
They are in the fridge.
Do I soak them in milk & if so, how long?
What is the best way to cook the breasts?
AND YES, I had to pick out a few pellets !
Next time it will be a 22 head shot !!
No photos, he might have had his body copyrighted ! :secret:
Hang your bird upside down for 3 - 4 hours by the legs, then cut out the breast. Soak in salt water 5 - 6 hours or overnight. Marinade in butter milk 12 - 24 hours. Deep fry.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I wuz deer hunting in black powder season. My shooter is a Big Boar .58 caliber (yeah -- 58cal -- it shoots a 555-grain conical with 110gr of powder.)

Heard a rustling from the side and peeked over; about fifty feet away was a nice big tom turkey. I knew that if I body shot it, I would have to lick the bullet to get any meat from the bird, so I lined up for a head shot. BOOM!~! Fargin head blew off, and the turkey stood there for two or three seconds before kinda sitting down.

DANGIT. Damn' near forgot to tell you why the Brown-In Bag thingy is the best -- others here have mentioned that wild turkey breast meat is drier than commercial. The Brown-In Bag keeps the meat as moist as commercial, but with far, far better flavor.
Crap that would set off my pacemaker and defibrillator , id be rolling all over the ground. probably the noise shock would set them off, sorry unc i would never be able to go hunting with you and your punt gun

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
How about one of those turkey deep fryers?
Frying a whole wild turkey is a foolish idea. very little of it would be edible. Yet I had noticed they advertised the hell out of those whole turkey fryers during commercials on hunting channel.
Promoters of bad ideas. I bet there were many thousands of dissatisfied buyers with dust covered fryers in their storage buildings.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
A buddy showed up with one of them big turkey oil burners and I told him if he lit the thing on my land that I would be forced to shoot him. He got it ready to roll and there musta been something on my face cause he never lit it.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Deep frying a turkey the bird needs to be as dry as possible inside and out. Any excessive water or Ice causes the grease to flare / flame up until all that water and ice has been evaporated.
A wet bird or ice stuck in the cavity is a guaranteed flame thrower.
I have not Fried one it but I saw one erupt. It put Mt. Aetna to shame for minutes and the bird ended up crunchy.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I like turkey maybe once or twice a year.
Does not matter how it's fixed, three times a years is too many....

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I like turkey maybe once or twice a year.
Does not matter how it's fixed, three times a years is too many....
Free Meat is FREE MEAT. Don't get picky.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Free Meat is FREE MEAT. Don't get picky.
If you shoot it, it ain't free!
Maybe cheap, not free.

Free is like that possum I caught trying to gain access to my garden the other evening. Ran it down and stomped it, that was free meat,

--- for the buzzards.