• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

TAEZZAR KILLED A F******G TURKEY THIS EVENING - NOW WHAT ?

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Although I could easily snag a wild turkey or twenty, I have only cooked the domestic birds.

As designated Thanksgiving turkey cooker, here is my secret (assuming 25 pound bird):

Brine turkey for 24 hours:

Two trash bags in a bucket.

Insert entire bird.

Add 1 cup sea salt.

Fill with R/O water until it covers bird.

I also add black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and another secret spice to the brine.

When cooking time rolls around, I smear butter on the bird and cover with foil.

6 hours at 350 F.

YMMV in terms of baking or deep frying.

I will assume that the same brining process will work with 25 pounds of turkey breasts.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I still have grilling a (probably domestic) turkey on my mind. Want to cook it long and slow, but still hoping breast can be moist. For all the cooking I have done believe it or not I have never cooked a turkey. Usually cook for myself and on occasion small groups.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If you shoot it, it ain't free!
Maybe cheap, not free.

Free is like that possum I caught trying to gain access to my garden the other evening. Ran it down and stomped it, that was free meat,

--- for the buzzards.
Using your logic Lt D. YOU spent ENERGY running "it down and stomped it"... So that was not free either.
It all beats $3.99 lbs. at the local grocer, Plus Gas, and Travel time back and forth.
:winks2:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
YOU spent ENERGY running "it down and stomped it"... So that was not free either.
Free to the buzzards, if they were lucky enough to beat the other scavengers to lunch.
Just exercise to me, grand daughters should have seem me, they don't think I can run!

You can have all the turkeys you want, I'll take fish any day over foul.
Unless, of course, I do keep chickens for the fresh eggs, again, not free.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
What a great bunch of comments, thanks.
Day 2 of wild turkey cooking.
I took the next popular method & tried it. The second breast was ground up, coarse,
Had asparagus, fried in garlic slices & pan fried turkey burger. Good, but not great. I think the flavor is dependent on the bird's diet, in fact I know it is. I raised 2 white turkeys, about 8 years ago & made the mistake of feeding them chicken scratch & it has corn. Damned birds tasted like CORN !!!

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
What a great bunch of comments, thanks.
Day 2 of wild turkey cooking.
I took the next popular method & tried it. The second breast was ground up, coarse,
Had asparagus, fried in garlic slices & pan fried turkey burger. Good, but not great. I think the flavor is dependent on the bird's diet, in fact I know it is. I raised 2 white turkeys, about 8 years ago & made the mistake of feeding them chicken scratch & it has corn. Damned birds tasted like CORN !!!
The best wild turkeys I have ever eaten were killed in an area surrounded by wheat, corn & soy bean fields. Absolutely delicious!

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter