• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

TAEZZAR loses EVERYTHING.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the price of this one is?
I wouldn't need more than this... as long as I had a large 30x30 shop.
View attachment 203076
My buddy on Lake Champlain inherited his, so free, no insulation, water directly from lake... but his property taxes are over $10k / year... That adds up over the long term...

GOLDBRIX

'SUSH, MY NEW SAFE HOUSE"
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Speaking of fake wood, how do you like my ceramic flooring?

View attachment 203074

No warping or scuffing or scratching. Mop clean. But cold barefoot.
Should have went with radiant floor heating. Great in the winter time just wear socks.

the_shootist

I identify as fully vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score

GOLDBRIX

'SUSH, MY NEW SAFE HOUSE"
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I lived in a town where a smart guy built his house = basement first, with ground-level windows... then roofed it over...
"Unfinished", so very low property taxes...

In the same town, I had a surface-spring water supply... with frog legs & insects coming out of the kitchen faucet... Across the street there was Town Water - so I asked the Town to hook me up.

"That's the last house on the line, and we only have a 2" plastic line getting there, so there wouldn't be enough pressure for both houses. Request denied."
- "So when are you going to upgrade the piping?"
- "We just did, from a 2" galvanized line."

So I spent $4k (expensive in the '80's) getting a well drilled & a pumping system.

And right after that, the Town RAISED MY PROPERTY TAXES because I had AN IMPROVED WATER SYSTEM...

You really can't win against bureaucrats. I then swore that I'd cover my siding with tar-paper (but didn't) - but I NEVER allowed the "assessors" to enter the house to see the improvements that I'd made...

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You really can't win against bureaucrats. I then swore that I'd cover my siding with tar-paper (but didn't) - but I NEVER allowed the "assessors" to enter the house to see the improvements that I'd made...
Have a friend that put up a pole shed and sided it with used tin....he said it took the county assessor 5 years to realize it was a new building.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I lived in a town where a smart guy built his house = basement first, with ground-level windows... then roofed it over...
"Unfinished", so very low property taxes...

In the same town, I had a surface-spring water supply... with frog legs & insects coming out of the kitchen faucet... Across the street there was Town Water - so I asked the Town to hook me up.

"That's the last house on the line, and we only have a 2" plastic line getting there, so there wouldn't be enough pressure for both houses. Request denied."
- "So when are you going to upgrade the piping?"
- "We just did, from a 2" galvanized line."

So I spent $4k (expensive in the '80's) getting a well drilled & a pumping system.

And right after that, the Town RAISED MY PROPERTY TAXES because I had AN IMPROVED WATER SYSTEM...

That is about the situation I found myself in in Erie County, New York (Buffalo)

Nice, cheap house on two acres, in an unfinished (never to be finished) exurb subdivision. No incorporated area - Town of Evans. Back side of my land butted up against an Indian reservation, Seneca Nation. It hadn't been built on or clear-cut in 120 years and wasn't likely, now. House was a succession of modifications, starting with what appeared to have been a tool shed - probably brought over on a trailer, 1955. Looked like hell outside - no theme - but vaulted ceilings and pine paneling inside.

Price, $47,000. Taxes, $4000/year.

I had city water but a hacked sewer tie-in - I was on the dead-end part of a street where it went paper. Maps showed the road through; but it stopped at the lot after mine. NO plans to finish it - Erie County's population is falling and in that 2001 housing boom, real estate prices there were stagnant.

The sewer main was built up to the nearest (real) corner, eight houses away and up the hill. In the 1980s, the then-owner was ordered to tie-in; and he did so with a cobbled pumping station: Septic tank, sump pump within, a three-inch discharge line pumping over a quarter-mile away, and about 30 feet up hill.

It worked. The Sewer District even inspected it and it worked.

But then. With all of Greater Buffalo in an unending depression, Bethlehem Steel closing (for good) and no prospects, there or anywhere outside of government employment...the Sewer District found itself with extra cash. What to do, what to do...RUN THE SEWER PAST MY HOUSE. And then down that paper street, land not even cleared (apparently the county owns the land) to the lower part of the completed street a mile away.

I mentioned my pumping station had to pump uphill. That intersection is on a gentle knob...the whole landscape slopes downhill, in stepped terraces, towards Lake Erie, three miles away.

But to get through the knob, they ran the sewer line straight...which meant they were 28 feet below grade when passing by my house. They didn't even dig up the street - they tunneled. AND ORDERED ME TO TIE IN.

I had just replaced the sewage sump pump, which after nearly twenty years had died. Choked on a turd or something.

THAT I could deal with. But I couldn't just call a buddy with a backhoe to come dig me a new sewer line. No, I needed specialized excavation, and approved tie-in methods, all inspected, permitted, yada yada.

I had the house for sale by this time - having had enough of Big Government - and the sewer inspector was sympathetic to my plea of No-Money; but it was plain, the property would not be given an Occupancy Permit to the new owner until the sewer tie-in was made.

And yes, Occupancy Permits are a Thing, in at least some parts of the Vampire State.

Cost me $2500. On TOP of that nice property-tax bill.

So...I envy you who live in more-rustic areas, who could get away with simple dodges on the Assessor...

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like NJ or NY area... you can never retire....
Actually you can. Sell your property (make money). Move to a lesser priced state (probably better overall and maybe even red). Buy the same house for less. Bank (pm?) the difference.

Lakeshore property tax - he doesn't even have a view from the cabin...
Time to cut some trees.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
An Occupancy Permit? Lol

If you thought property taxes mean you don't own your home, then Occpancy Permits drive a stake through the idea of you actually owning anything.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
An Occupancy Permit? Lol

If you thought property taxes mean you don't own your home, then Occpancy Permits drive a stake through the idea of you actually owning anything.

Yeah. Think of that - you buy the land, you own (or build) the home; but the State (county, actually; but the State) won't ALLOW you to LIVE on/in it, until there's an Occupancy Permit.

They don't advertise this detail. It's in the folderol of legalese paperwork thrust at a buyer - and the buyer need not sign it. The realtor typically arranges for the Occupancy Permit, and it's mostly a rubber stamp, between the realtor/lawyer (yes, land sales in Gnu Yuck mostly require a lawyer) and Recording Office and county. Unless the owner or seller is incalcitrant, as I was.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
All those Sewer Inspectors and Occupancy-Permit writers, don't come cheap.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
FWIW, my mother's place, in a West Side outer suburb of Cleveland...was worth $150,000, FMV...the tax bill on it was $4500.

I know, because I received the house out of her estate. Paid it two years, before saying fukitol and leaving Ohio.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
An Occupancy Permit? Lol
Here you can't "get" an occupancy permit until the Fire Marshal tours the house and sees if you have enough and the correct smoke detecors in the house. Mine had me replace all the "brand new" smoke detectors becasue I didn't buy the ones with the lifetime lithium battery.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Here you can't "get" an occupancy permit until the Fire Marshal tours the house and sees if you have enough and the correct smoke detecors in the house. Mine had me replace all the "brand new" smoke detectors becasue I didn't buy the ones with the lifetime lithium battery.

He had to show some failures, to prove he was really doing his job.

You were the guy that day who didn't have him on the pad.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah. Think of that - you buy the land, you own (or build) the home; but the State (county, actually; but the State) won't ALLOW you to LIVE on/in it, until there's an Occupancy Permit.

They don't advertise this detail. It's in the folderol of legalese paperwork thrust at a buyer - and the buyer need not sign it. The realtor typically arranges for the Occupancy Permit, and it's mostly a rubber stamp, between the realtor/lawyer (yes, land sales in Gnu Yuck mostly require a lawyer) and Recording Office and county. Unless the owner or seller is incalcitrant, as I was.

So, you are held to a contract that you never signed ? :angry then happy::make happy 2: Fuck Gnu Yuck !!! :totally steamed: I would follow MrLucky's plan !!! :2 thumbs up::finished:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Oh, not a contract.

It's one way.

You don't contract not to litter, either, but the State enforces that order.

Likewise, the Occupancy Permit law.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Time to cut some trees.

One of his neighbors did that, and got fined hundreds of thousands... Blue State.... Green Rot!

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
One of his neighbors did that, and got fined hundreds of thousands... Blue State.... Green Rot!

Yup.

Cut a tree; go to gaol. Welcome to the Vampire State.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
When I was working on a condo development, I had to use a chain saw to cut up some lumber. One of the owners told me he'd give me $500.00 to take down that tree. Was a smaller tree and I'm not sure why he didn't like it as it was in an open area. Told him to make it a grand, cash and the deed would be done. He passed on that offer.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Update.
Went mushrooming a few days ago & again today. My buddy is already getting Morels in the area, I actually went, for the walk, the schrooms were a bonus. Being cooped up in an RV for over 6 months is getting old. Good thing the forest walk was good & fun, 'cause we found only 1 morel.
It was sad to walk among the burnt trees. The grass & shrubs are starting to come back, as we have had about 20 inches , or more, of rain.
Then we stopped by "home" & my barn was taken down yesterday & I did not get to say good bye. That barn had severed us well.
Putting this together for you guys & gals actually got to me !!! The totality is sinking in !

We should start on the new barn in 2 or 3 weeks, then the house. We will not move in until about this time next year.

burned trees 1.JPG

burned tress 2.JPG

BARN 1E.JPG
BARN 1C.JPG
BARN 1.jpeg

This is a shot looking down on the fish hatchery. It was not visible from the road, until the fire.

hatchery.JPG

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just glad you're around to give updates.

The pain of loss is something everyone will have to face. How we deal with it says a lot.

Godspeed.

the_shootist

I identify as fully vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
It coming along very very well!!! What a beautiful spot. Despite the remnants of the catastrophic fires the beauty stills shines through bro!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
One thing I'm sure you are already aware of is mud slides.

We had the 18K acre Waldo Canyon fire in 2012. They warned about slides from the fire scar. Rains came and all hell broke loose. Mud and ash came down the hills in flash floods. On one street the pressure blew a manhole cover off and 6 ft of water cascaded forth.

"What ends up happening is big boulders, trees, all these burnt trees can fall over, get in these drainages, move downhill very quickly and then cause debris dams and then cause roads to fail and perhaps failures onto Highway 24 or into neighborhoods... this will continue to impact this area absolutely for at least 10 years. Those who live near the burn area need to stay alert and be prepared."

Water retention ponds would be a good idea if you can make catch basins in ravines. Takes big equipment though. Might warn those 'downstream' of what they'd never suspect could happen.

Get grass seed in the ground as fast as possible. Not like it rains much in Oreygon....

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Reaction score
maybe your new design can be more fireproof

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
maybe your new design can be more fireproof
GOLDZILLA, I truly appreciate your thought. My concrete was blistered & chipped up to 3/4 of an inch deep, my metal roof & all metal barn were annealed by the heat, & therefore useless. This was an unusually hot fire accompanied by 80 MPH winds.
Other than living in an underground bunker, which I won't do, I don't know of any protection from such a "hellfire". :don't know:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Curious about your morel season in your part of the contry......here it will start any day and last thru late april.......I am also curious about how insurance is handling temporary accommodations during the rebuild since your using the rv....

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
One thing I'm sure you are already aware of is mud slides.

We had the 18K acre Waldo Canyon fire in 2012. They warned about slides from the fire scar. Rains came and all hell broke loose. Mud and ash came down the hills in flash floods. On one street the pressure blew a manhole cover off and 6 ft of water cascaded forth.

"What ends up happening is big boulders, trees, all these burnt trees can fall over, get in these drainages, move downhill very quickly and then cause debris dams and then cause roads to fail and perhaps failures onto Highway 24 or into neighborhoods... this will continue to impact this area absolutely for at least 10 years. Those who live near the burn area need to stay alert and be prepared."

Water retention ponds would be a good idea if you can make catch basins in ravines. Takes big equipment though. Might warn those 'downstream' of what they'd never suspect could happen.

Get grass seed in the ground as fast as possible. Not like it rains much in Oreygon....
Yes, this has been & still is my major concern for the next few years.
Here are some photos of areas that may slide.
The good news is that my neighbor has the equipment to clear a slide & our run-off has places to go rather than flood.

mudd slide 1.JPG
mudd slide 2.JPG

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yep that looks slidable.

If you have hills higher than you and it rains it will come down like a tsunami of mud, sticks, rocks etc.

Won't have time to think of anything but get out of the way! Won't take much rain either.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
GOLDZILLA, I truly appreciate your thought. My concrete was blistered & chipped up to 3/4 of an inch deep, my metal roof & all metal barn were annealed by the heat, & therefore useless. This was an unusually hot fire accompanied by 80 MPH winds.
Other than living in an underground bunker, which I won't do, I don't know of any protection from such a "hellfire". :don't know:

The only material that would stand up to such conditions would be true adobe material. Think fire/kiln brick material. Certain windows are made from glass that would resist such firestorm.

Just don't be inside the place during such an event. It would be like trying to survive in an oven, I think.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Curious about your morel season in your part of the contry......here it will start any day and last thru late april.......I am also curious about how insurance is handling temporary accommodations during the rebuild since your using the rv....
Ttazzman, our morel season is usually the end of March thru May, about 4 to 5 weeks. I was surprised that we had them so soon after the fire. I much prefer Chanterelles & my schrooming buddies tell me that we may not see Chanty's for many years. That saddens me.
A small sampling of our Chanty's
IMG_3023 - Copy.JPG

Same for our Morels

Morels 1.png

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yep that looks slidable.

If you have hills higher than you and it rains it will come down like a tsunami of mud, sticks, rocks etc.

Won't have time to think of anything but get out of the way! Won't take much rain either.
GH, fortunately our property is flat. It is the road down to the hwy that is of concern.

here is a better shot of what we have to worry about.

IMG_5713.JPG

This is how the water collects on our property

Messy2.JPG

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Your road kind of looks like this one...

This was just a small storm up in the hills over the June 23, 2012 burn area....

happened Jul 10, 2013

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
GH, fortunately our property is flat. It is the road down to the hwy that is of concern.

here is a better shot of what we have to worry about.

View attachment 205348

This is how the water collects on our property

View attachment 205349
Hope that will get to a point where it dries up. Not sure if you had protection from the elements before the trees got burnt but it does appear you won't have that now.

TAEEZER, did you not have a cellar hole?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Hope that will get to a point where it dries up. Not sure if you had protection from the elements before the trees got burnt but it does appear you won't have that now.

TAEEZER, did you not have a cellar hole?
It is drying & THEN we get more rain, then it dry's again & ...................
The only loss of protection will be the wind, we hope.
Before the fire, rain was not a problem. This is due to all the heavy equipment mushy up the wet soil. It will get back to normal in a week or two.
Can't have a cellar with our shallow water table.
When we moved in, the pond was 3 feet of water & 3 feet of muck.
We dug the pond down to 16 feet & filled in only 6 weeks (I calc'd it to be about 1 million gallons - 120 ft. in dia. & 16 feet deep). It has more little springs than we could count.

1616452788681.png

1616452829843.png