• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

TAEZZAR loses EVERYTHING.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Taez, without specific #'s how has the replacement conversations gone with your insurance carrier? Between parts shortages, lumber rates and lunatic life in general, it would take Carnac the magnificent to accurately layout a spreadsheet of timelines and costs.... don't envy you this time, but hey every once in a while we all need an adventure....
Our insurance cashed us out, including a return of our deductible & a nice surprise of a bonus for rebuilding on site. I've never had so much money in the bank ! :rotf:
There is no way to project the costs, other than it will be a lot more than the insurance gave us.
So between being a bit under insured & the china joe inflation factor, we are looking at having to put up some bucks too.
The good part is that we will have a new home, OUR WAY !!!! :finished:
And this damned well better be my last big project !!!

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Our insurance cashed us out, including a return of our deductible & a nice surprise of a bonus for rebuilding on site. I've never had so much money in the bank ! :rotf:
There is no way to project the costs, other than it will be a lot more than the insurance gave us.
So between being a bit under insured & the china joe inflation factor, we are looking at having to put up some bucks too.
God love ya, T. I’m about fifteen years, or so younger than you and I don’t think I’d have the ambition or stamina to rebuild my whole homestead and more. You are a real man.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Insurance companies are probably getting hit hard with the 400% increase in building materials costs. I hope you held their feet to the fire.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I prefer Chanty's & could give you good data for them.

Morels are relatively new to me.
Elevation 1,000 to 3,000, in a burned area, up to a couple years old.
Look around and in large burned stumps & along burned logs (both sides).
Also in fresh green areas next to burned stumps/logs.
Good luck !
That's all I can come up with.
Again, I am stunned.

I have never seen such an accumulation of people of knowledgeable, deep, technical and arcane exists at this unique site.

Jeez. From inside burned logs to clear visions of galaxies...

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
God love ya, T. I’m about fifteen years, or so younger than you and I don’t think I’d have the ambition or stamina to rebuild my whole homestead and more. You are a real man.
Thanks, SoG. You would be surprised with what you can do when the FHTF (Fire Hits The Fan) :2 thumbs up: :finished: :rotf: :rotf:

I just came back from the site & Mrs T said "wash your face, I have never seen it so black".

I have never been afraid of work. :finished:
There is no shame in getting dirty, the shame is in not cleaning up ! :winks2:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Insurance companies are probably getting hit hard with the 400% increase in building materials costs. I hope you held their feet to the fire.
My costs have nothing to do with their payout. They had an obligation to pay the policy amount, unless one had "replacement cost" - I did not. :shit happens:

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I don't know why something like this couldn't be adequate for temp jobsite. Or heck even permanent residence

Attachments

• php13FGHbPM_1541850898251256.jpg
    php13FGHbPM_1541850898251256.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 19

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I don't know why something like this couldn't be adequate for temp jobsite. Or heck even permanent residence
It depends on what one wants; and resources.

I can see the appeal in that, but I wouldn't want to be living in such a structure when I'm in my 70s.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I am doing that too. :2 thumbs up:

edit: But not for living quarters.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My costs have nothing to do with their payout. They had an obligation to pay the policy amount, unless one had "replacement cost" - I did not. :shit happens:
Good point. If you had opted for "replacement cost" they would be walking away butthurt.

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
That's a picture of the barn I built in Texas in 2007. 5 in 12 pitch trusses, 3 posts on each side for the wings. Posted in this thread years ago. https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/cantainer-camp.70531/
I know. I downloaded that and your other one but I cannot fetch it. We're looking at building one at my son's place.
I show it to all my like minded off-grid bug out weirdo friends, of which I have many.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I know. I downloaded that and your other one but I cannot fetch it. We're looking at building one at my son's place.
I show it to all my like minded off-grid bug out weirdo friends, of which I have many.

Historyrepete, if you are in no hurry, I will show progress photo's of doing mine. The containers will be about 10 feet apart with a gabled roof & overhang, all around. It would be easy to enclose if desired.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Today is a turning point ! We poured the first section of the footing for the barn. Next week we will pour a 3 foot stem wall all around the barn, except, of course, the door openings.

IMG_6508.JPG
IMG_6512.JPG

I sure wish that everything else would have come back as well as the pond !!!
IMG_6514.JPG

GOLDBRIX

'SUSH, MY NEW SAFE HOUSE"
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That is the biggest cement truck I have ever seen.

And the pond is beautiful.
Unca, I grew up around dump trucks & cement trucks. I had never even seen one of these until I came to Orygun. It is the very best I have ever. The drive controls everything from the cab.
The box on the back, with the wheels up, is the trucks engine !! :finished:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Even with all the destruction you have dealt with Taezz. You are in some beautiful territory.
Thanks GB, we will be planting as large a trees as we can get. Which will help get us back to as normal as possible.
I am told that we are in a grow zone 9, but I think it is more like 8. I am looking at lots of fruit trees & fast growing trees, along with fir , madrone, dogwood & maple. :2 thumbs up:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Unca, I grew up around dump trucks & cement trucks. I had never even seen one of these until I came to Orygun. It is the very best I have ever. The drive controls everything from the cab.
The box on the back, with the wheels up, is the trucks engine !! :finished:
But... the wheels on the engine ain't up in the first pic. Why'd they raise??

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
But... the wheels on the engine ain't up in the first pic. Why'd they raise??
They are. In the first pic, the rear most wheels aren't fully visible.
....and not to be nitpicky or anything, but it's not a "cement truck". Cement is but one part of concrete, which is what that concrete mixer is delivering.
...and the extra wheels are to help distribute the weight over more axels when necessary.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the progress. Can you still smell or taste the fire?
No, after removing all the burned material, we have no residual odor from the fire. :2 thumbs up: :finished:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
It's off all topics...but those reversed see-mint minxers...doesn't the rear engine drive the FRONT axle?

Mush Agin had a law that basically banned conventional mixers, and required use of those things. Or variations thereof.

And I remember seeing the big, testicular differential on the FRONT axle. I was wondering how it got traction enough...unless it was all-wheel drive, like an Army OshKosh.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had never even seen one of these until I came to Orygun. It is the very best I have ever.
For what it's worth, that's a Terex FDB7000. The extra axles allow it to be able to cross bridges fully loaded without violating federal bridge standards.

The drive controls everything from the cab.
Did he have to manually flip the chute down, or was it hydraulic?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
For what it's worth, that's a Terex FDB7000. The extra axles allow it to be able to cross bridges fully loaded without violating federal bridge standards.

Did he have to manually flip the chute down, or was it hydraulic?
The chute is in multiple sections. They are manually hooked together/in place & then the hydraulics are controlled by a joystick, in the cab. The chute is controlled side to side as well as up & down. The concrete is dispensed, down the chute, at any rate desired by the concrete crew.
It is such an intelligent system. :2 thumbs up::finished:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
It's off all topics...but those reversed see-mint minxers...doesn't the rear engine drive the FRONT axle?

Mush Agin had a law that basically banned conventional mixers, and required use of those things. Or variations thereof.

And I remember seeing the big, testicular differential on the FRONT axle. I was wondering how it got traction enough...unless it was all-wheel drive, like an Army OshKosh.
Casey, it drives all the axels (3), these are all wheel drive, due to the unknown terrain of each individual work site. The rear axels can be locked together for muddy or other traction situations.
The old style "cement mixer, putty putty", (that's for us older farts) are still around, but few and far between.

Not at all off topic, besides that, I am guilty as the worst, for going off topic. It just means that everyone is enjoying the thread. :2 thumbs up: :beer:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
...can I interject, irrelevant....?

AXEL...he's from Sweden. He works hard, ya. He is so glad to be here, ya.

AXLES...are under trucks. Sometimes cars. Some cars don't have actual axles...they have independent suspensions. Each wheel alone.

But those cement bottles, have many axles. Axel doesn't drive any of them.

:cool:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The chute is in multiple sections. They are manually hooked together/in place & then the hydraulics are controlled by a joystick, in the cab. The chute is controlled side to side as well as up & down. The concrete is dispensed, down the chute, at any rate desired by the concrete crew.
It is such an intelligent system.
:2 thumbs up::finished:
The trick is to let the truck do the work spreading the mud.... no sense working when you don't have to when a machine will...

The old style "cement mixer, putty putty", (that's for us older farts) are still around, but few and far between.
Mel Torme in case anyone wanted to look it up...

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
The chute is in multiple sections. They are manually hooked together/in place & then the hydraulics are controlled by a joystick, in the cab.
Then it was a standard package. The performance plus and deluxe packages, the flip chutes are hydraulic.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
...can I interject, irrelevant....?

AXEL...he's from Sweden. He works hard, ya. He is so glad to be here, ya.

AXLES...are under trucks. Sometimes cars. Some cars don't have actual axles...they have independent suspensions. Each wheel alone.

But those cement bottles, have many axles. Axel doesn't drive any of them.

:cool:
Axel doesn't drive any of them. But TAEZZAR has !!

A view of locking differentials. They only lock together when necessary for traction. The front differential can be engaged as required.
That 1954 REO Gold Comet, was the first vehicle I drove (without any license)

1624072805216.png

DAD'S REO.jpg

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Casey Jones has driven everything.

From a moped, to an LTD, to a tractor-trailer...to a farm tractor, to a gang-mower, to a city bus.

From a Yamaha R5, to a BMW R1200GS. From cars to pickups to real trucks...part of the first wave of CDLs. International/Navistar road-tractors...garbage. From locomotives (my favorite is the EMD SD40s...strong, responsive, reliable) to ships (helmsman duty, USS Coronado (AGF-11)). To tractors. I like Ford 8Ns but really prefer the Gravely walk-behind city-farmer tractors.

No insult intended. But I been dere; done dat. Axel can stay there sanding furniture. I know axles.

cool:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
...no, I take that back.

ONE...JOB...one FRIKKIN' JOB...I never did, was drive a concrete mixer.

....BUSTED...oh, I'm so busted... :don't know:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Been 100 MPH on one of these OR 4 feet off the ground at 70 MPH ??
THAT IS AN "E" TICKET RIDE !
98 HP on 390 lbs.

First bullschitter doesn't stand a chance !!!!

MY QUADS 020 - Copy.jpg

GETTING AIR 001 - Copy.jpg

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
No.

Can't say that.

I got old, young.

I never pushed the envelope. Too many close calls when I was on the clock...an older moron, missing three fingers to a brush chipper. I didn't know any Jones-style train-crash heroes...the few train crashes I'd come across were aggrievated stupidity, either crew or management.

But the bottom line is, just as I never had xxx acres, so, I never had those toys. They are not tied together; and I have my road toys.

A couple of Honda bikes, and previously, Yamaha trail bikes.

My comfort level is lower...even though we're a generation apart...

Going in to sip tonight's Geritol.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Well... I gots one that y'all prolly dindu:

When I was learning to fly, my instructor was Crash Craddock (more on him later***). I was supposed to do my first power stall. Lemme tellya, chillun, when you stall a high-wing Cessa 152, it feels exactly as if you were in a car that went right over a cliff into the Grand Canyon -- and the steering wheel has come OFF in your hands, and the pedals are not connected to a fargin thing. And you are falling!

Well, we were up about 4000 feet when I clewed up my failing courage to the sticking point, and pulled back on the steering wheel. What I did not know was that I was climbing way too quickly for a simple stall. Our dinky little Spam Can went up, up, up... YAAAAAAAHHH!!! AND DOWWNNNN!!

I did the thing I'd been instructed: I said, "Your plane!" and turned loose of the broken steering wheel. For some reason I seemed to smell sulphur smoke. It was coming from Crash Craddock's nostrils.

He took over, went full power... What the hell? STRAIGHT DOWN. Vertically. There is a three-color speedometer on Spam Cans: Green, Yellow, and Red. Red is OFF LIMITS. There is one more little item:

There is an actual peg at the very end of the red part of the speedometer. It is labeled:

"NEVER EXCEED SPEED"

The speedo needle was nailed to that peg as we went vertically down.

Then the maniac pulled back on the yoke (aw hell, I accidentally used the right word) and the G-force was incredible... and we were heading back UP. Annndd... over, upside down. The ashtrays fell out of the holders, and anything loose went to the ceiling.

Down and around we went. Crash looked at me (and now I could see the horns) and said:

"They say you can't loop a Spam Can!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Now for the "later" part -- I was in Taipei ten years later, crossing a street... and there, coming from the other side... was Crash Craddock!! What the hell are the odds?