• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

TAEZZAR loses EVERYTHING.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
on a curiosity note ...after things get settled a bit would be intresting how any non-lost PMs survived, condition, storage, recovery, issues with slabs, plastic flips, tarnish, etc ....
Will do !! :holding hands:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
As a last resort you could always separate the AU & AG and have them melted down into big lumps. :don't    know2:
I am looking into a kiln to do that !:2 thumbs up:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is still so surreal.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I would just send any melted metals to these guys.

https://www.midwestrefineries.com/
Maybe tell them what happened and see if they would give you a break or better yet pour it in molds & give it back to you for a cost. You would still have your stash. Keep it in the pond next time!

***Lesson to be learned here. It all melts the same so paying a premium is a waste.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Taezzar -

I am so sorry to hear and see what you’ve posted here about the loss of your home. I can not imagine what you must be going through. The most important thing here is that you and your wife are safe. Things can be replaced. People can not. I am glad you are still with us man. Your attitude will get you through this. We can all learn a thing or two from you just in the way you’ve handled yourself in this situation.

Thank you and God bless you!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Taezzar -

I am so sorry to hear and see what you’ve posted here about the loss of your home. I can not imagine what you must be going through. The most important thing here is that you and your wife are safe. Things can be replaced. People can not. I am glad you are still with us man. Your attitude will get you through this. We can all learn a thing or two from you just in the way you’ve handled yourself in this situation.

Thank you and God bless you!
Thanks, JP. I appreciate your comments. T. :holding hands:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
***Lesson to be learned here. It all melts the same so paying a premium is a waste.
Another lesson is that slabbed coins will become entombed in burned plastic.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Would smelting the coins separate the plastic from the PM?
Yes. The plastic would be incinerated at the melting point of the metal (toxic fumes, no doubt). Not sure about smelting gold and silver together and separating them.

I have a business contact that I am going to check with about chemical separation of the plastic from the coins.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes. The plastic would be incinerated at the melting point of the metal (toxic fumes, no doubt). Not sure about smelting gold and silver together and separating them.

I have a business contact that I am going to check with about chemical separation of the plastic from the coins.
TAEZZAR, I think Dynasolve 699 will soften the acrylic (plastic) cases so you can retrieve the coins. I am doing some more investigation and will let you know what I learn.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
TAEZZAR, I think Dynasolve 699 will soften the acrylic (plastic) cases so you can retrieve the coins. I am doing some more investigation and will let you know what I learn.
I also have the coins fused together, silver & gold, in slabs.
I will send photos, later today.

Ahhh, found one. Even has cartridges ! :rotf::rotf::shit happens:
Blob.JPG

Last edited:

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I also have the coins fused together, silver & gold, in slabs.
I will send photos, later today.
Yeah sending it to a refiner to separate metals will be the only option. Burning off the plastic is not really a problem but would be messy. The fumes aren't that, heck I burn my garbage and lots if plastic. Yes you'll get some nasties like dioxins but just dont huff the fumes

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I don't want to torture you , Taez, but could you post a few of these melted slabs so we can all recoil in horror.

oops. didn't see above post.

Last edited:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here are the Technical and Safety Data Sheets for Dynasolve 699.

But... those are melted far worse than I thought. I was thinking maybe you had some plastic melt down around the coins in a safe.

Well, for future reference someone might need this:

Attachments

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sorry to hear Taezzar. We lost our home to a fire as a kid; it sucked but I at least got to take part in rebuilding it.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Here are the Technical and Safety Data Sheets for Dynasolve 699.

But... those are melted far worse than I thought. I was thinking maybe you had some plastic melt down around the coins in a safe.

Well, for future reference someone might need this:
I have 100 oz. silver bricks & 1 oz. liberty coins with a lot of green plastic from the Fed. mint containers, so I do need to remove that stuff.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Yeah sending it to a refiner to separate metals will be the only option. Burning off the plastic is not really a problem but would be messy. The fumes aren't that, heck I burn my garbage and lots if plastic. Yes you'll get some nasties like dioxins but just dont huff the fumes
I am leery of sending to the refiners. it just makes me nervous.
My son is looking into an electric kiln that will control the heat such that only the silver will melt. Gold mels a higher temp.

ALL you guys are GREAT, thank you sooo much for all the help & thoughts. :2 thumbs up:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Another lesson is that slabbed coins will become entombed in burned plastic.
Should command a premium on fleabay. :p

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My son is looking into an electric kiln that will control the heat such that only the silver will melt. Gold mels a higher temp.

ALL you guys are GREAT, thank you sooo much for all the help & thoughts. :2 thumbs up:
I have used Midwest Refineries (over 10 years ago), and it was a smooth transaction. Only drawback is reduction in material and value. If I recall correctly some silver is lost in the melting process, and then they only pay a percentage of the spot price (92% ?). So maybe you will get 90% of the melt value.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I have used Midwest Refineries (over 10 years ago), and it was a smooth transaction. Only drawback is reduction in material and value. If I recall correctly some silver is lost in the melting process, and then they only pay a percentage of the spot price (92% ?). So maybe you will get 90% of the melt value.
Thanks, SLV, that helps, a lot !:holding hands:

Jodster

Always wrong
Silver Miner
I think it's quite humbling that, through the devastating losses Taessar and family have endured, getting back 90% of melt value is a testament to the resiliency of the gold and silver metals.
Keeping you in our prayers bud!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
A news update, in general. Only 4 min's

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I think it's quite humbling that, through the devastating losses Taessar and family have endured, getting back 90% of melt value is a testament to the resiliency of the gold and silver metals.
Keeping you in our prayers bud!
Good point, Jods. One of the kids torched $200.00 that was in a bank envelope that was on top of a toaster oven. Got nothing from the ashes of that.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It seems to me I would just call the refiner and explain the situation....obviously you know the silver/gold purity and content you would be sending so it would be fair to ask the expected loss....I would also discuss the lead and brass plastic etc that would be included........note to self dont store pms and ammo together in a way they could melt together

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Depending on how much is there my guess is they melt it for you for less than the 10% and give it back.
I don't think we need to know how much you have. It's none of our business. 10% on 100K is 10K. Think of this as a job shop. Lets say it takes them half a day at a shop rate of $200 hr because they have to clean everything very well. That's only $800 + shipping & some paperwork.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looks pretty simple. Might take a couple of washing from one clean tank to another. Acetone is $20 a gallon.
Don't let it sit on the bottom either let the crud fall away. I would get a 5 gallon bucket and some 1/4" chicken wire to make a basket to hang and shake it once in a while.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I suggested Midwest Refineries earlier in the thread. They are beyond reproach. Zero chance you get cheated or screwed. I have used them off and on for various things over the past 20 years without a problem. I think they are a 3rd or 4th generation family business.

https://www.midwestrefineries.com/
Beef, thank you, that REALLY helps. T.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

I like the electric kiln idea. <-- But you are not skilled in metal separation.

You do have options -- I would recommend that you contact midwest refineries by phone or email and ASK them for their call on what you should do. They have experience in exactly your sort of problem. It is what they do.

midwest refineries LIVE by their "golden" reputation. They are straight-arrow all the way.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Unca, I respect you & your opinion, along with our other members, <SLV>, ttazzman, Voodoo, & BeefJerky, and anyone else that I missed, that have so highly recommended them.
I shall comply :2 thumbs up::finished::holding hands:

chrisflhtc

Seeker
Sr Site Supporter
I have dealt with Midwest several times good people no doubt. Brother I am so sorry theat you had to deal with this.
Chris

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I have dealt with Midwest several times good people no doubt. Brother I am so sorry theat you had to deal with this.
Chris
OK, guys, I just called Midwest & as you have said, they are ethical.
I too am ethical & told them about the gunpowder & debris, we both need no surprises. . Very unfortunately, they are afraid of the gun powder & casings (both steel & brass). They said this will be quite difficult to do. They DO NOT return metals, they send a check. I DO NOT want the value recorded. They will return approx. 80% on G & 70% on S. He also was taken back on the weight of it all.:sick 2:

On a good note, the insurance co. called & all I can say is they are taking great care of us !!!!:finished:

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I too am ethical & told them about the gunpowder & debris, we both need no surprises. . Very unfortunately, they are afraid of the gun powder & casings (both steel & brass). They said this will be quite difficult to do. They DO NOT return metals, they send a check. I DO NOT want the value recorded. They will return approx. 80% on G & 70% on S. He also was taken back on the weight of it all.:sick 2:

On a good note, the insurance co. called & all I can say is they are taking great care of us !!!!:finished:
Get a cheap propane furnace and cook off the stuff in a vacant field or behind a wall (keep the propane tank protected) and then send it in to the refiners.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling

Any chance they cover the Au/Ag?

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Pour your own bars.
I'll buy one if they would be for sale.

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Pour your own bars.
I'll buy one if they would be for sale.

I was thinking if Midwest is going to do a custom refine for his lot...why not get a custom mold or stamp?

GIM-TAEZZAR

Survival Stores

Salvaged from the Oregon Arson Battle of 2020

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

OUT-fargin-STANDING!!