• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

TAEZZAR witnesses a Cessna 414a crash into Yorba Linda, Calif. home

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I witnessed a Cessna 414a burst into flames, roll 90 degrees & dive into a home in Yorba Linda Calif. I was at my buddies home a 1/4 mile away, repairing my computer.
You can see the story on the net, but it is not totally accurate. The plane was diving at about 20 degrees, on fire with a huge cloud of black smoke. One or both engines were screaming, way over revved. It sounded like a motorcycle wound tight.
So far, 2 are dead & 2 are hospitalized.

1549252715139.png

1549252736928.png

1549252760618.png

1549252825204.png

1549252848703.png

1549252638689.png

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
RIP

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Wow! That’s all it did to the house? Find out the name of their builder for me, would ya?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
One of the things I do not like about twin engine craft is the "V" boogeyman:

"The density altitude where Vmca and Vs are equal is called Critical Density Altitude. At this altitude, the aircraft slows to Vmca and Vs at the same time. This may cause a non-controllable, non-recoverable flight attitude..."

TAEZZAR
: You may be spot on with the observation of one engine screaming. If the pore sumbitch got his ass into that "peculiar-to-twin-engine-planes" attitude, he may well have been trying desperately to get out of that PTTEP death-spiral.

Problem is... you cannot. When you get in it, the controls needed to get out of it are not in the plane.

A tornado might help.

That's about all.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

"The density altitude where Vmca and Vs are equal is called Critical Density Altitude. At this altitude, the aircraft slows to Vmca and Vs at the same time. This may cause a non-controllable, non-recoverable flight attitude..."

TAEZZAR: You may be spot on with the observation of one engine screaming. If the pore sumbitch got his ass into that "peculiar-to-twin-engine-planes" attitude, he may well have been trying desperately to get out of that PTTEP death-spiral.

Problem is... you cannot. When you get in it, the controls needed to get out of it are not in the plane.

A tornado might help.

That's about all.
I lost a friend back in the early 1970's to a very similar crash. This is why I think, I know what happened.

Plane Crash

I don't think that was the target house.
This one was.

BF
I did not get this close, nor should I have. My buddy & I were there ahead of all but one cop. Common decencey & respect tells you to stay the fuck out of the way !
There were at minimum 20 fire engines of all sizes, 7 ambulances & more cops than could be counted, many of them were "official' looky lews
We left after 20 minutes & cops, even under cover cars, were still coming in. It was an official cluster fuck.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I lost a friend back in the early 1970's to a very similar crash. This is why I think, I know what happened.

I did not get this close, nor should I have. My buddy & I were there ahead of all but one cop. Common decencey & respect tells you to stay the fuck out of the way !
There were at minimum 20 fire engines of all sizes, 7 ambulances & more cops than could be counted, many of them were "official' looky lews
We left after 20 minutes & cops, even under cover cars, were still coming in. It was an official cluster fuck.
Next time we expect more outta ya Taez. Audio, HD, bodies, the works.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

TAEZZAR: You may be spot on with the observation of one engine screaming. If the pore sumbitch got his ass into that "peculiar-to-twin-engine-planes" attitude, he may well have been trying desperately to get out of that PTTEP death-spiral.

A tornado might help.

That's about all.
Any chance you could explain this in English to those of us who don't fly??

Kind of like... 'the guy pulled the whatchamacallit and that caused the wheels to spin and then the muffler bearing leaked blinker fluid...'

Also, why did the plane combust in the air?

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Ok I did some searching and found this pdf...

http://fergworld.com/cfi/pdf/Multi-engine_Instructor_Quick_Reference.doc

From what I've gleaned... he stalled the plane and cranked the engine in a panic to get more speed to pull out. That's why the engine was screaming full tilt... probably redlined and blew a rod which started a fire on the way down...?

If there's an airport nearby, maybe he filled it up and the weight of the plane had something to do with the stall? Climbing too fast and stalled?

Looks like if one engine died it could also happen.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
With all of the speculation over the cause, isn't it also possible that the fire came first and led to the loss of control?

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
What an epically random way to die.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
bf

I have a doctorate in talking out of my ass.................

point is, we have zero idea,
the guy could have had a heart attack, a stoke, or been strokin' himself
being in cali, he could have swerved to miss a bird, or or or

we just don't know, nor do the blue skins

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
nope, mo' bettah' we talk out of our asses and ask for forgiveness later,

truth no matter, just do it
Hey ya ol bear, my buddy & I watched it flame out AFTER we heard what sounded like a motorcycle wound tight. After the flame out, the plane turned 90 degrees to the ground, wings vertical. This indicates that he lost an engine & over compensated, in a panic, something like GH posted.

From what I've gleaned... he stalled the plane and cranked the engine in a panic to get more speed to pull out. That's why the engine was screaming full tilt... probably redlined and blew a rod which started a fire on the way down...?
He had just left Fullerton airport. It is only a few miles away. He was still in a climbing trajectory, unless he was going sight seeing at a low altitude.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
birddog, thanks for finding that clip. That is EXACTLY what the plane sounded like.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Holy crap TAEZZAR. What a hell of a thing to witness. I think I would be on edge for a long while after seeing something like that.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
T
bf

I have a doctorate in talking out of my ass.................

the guy could have had a heart attack, a stoke, or been strokin' himself
being in cali, he could have swerved to miss a bird, or or or

we just don't know, nor do the blue skins
For Goldhedge:

That audio will be important to the FAA. I gots a double doctorate with crash-cluster in talking outa my ass, but I also happen to be a pilot.

Just like the longer you stay talking to the doctor, the better chance the doc has to figger out what is wrong witcha. And the situation sure as hell looks connected thisaway to me:

New data: Just took off. DATA POINT NOTE: If you take off "sloppy" in a twin engine beast, you have a window you really must be aware of and take care of --

Stall speed. In a real airyoplane, (that is, one with the engine where it is supposed to be -- in the middle) if you have an engine failure, your plane WILL go down... That is a given. But a single engine plane will go more or less straight, and more or less in a "steerable" configuration. It won't be fun, but it ain't nothing like a twin that stalls on one engine while climbing.

This brings up the dreaded "V" number.

When you lose an engine on a twin while not at full speed, a lot of really shitty things happen FAST.

The air no longer hits your tail evenly (note how you can -- even as a non-pilot -- intuitively see how this one-sided push can truly fuck you up. The plane tries to fly into the dead engine.

Next on the list of shit to sprinkle on your Big Mac: Now that your fargin rudder is trying to fly in a fargin vacuum (the body of the plane is now blocking your rudder. Shit.

Wozzat mean? It means your rudder don't fargin rudd. Your nice foot pedals go all goosey like they are no longer connected to anything. Sucks big. Scary. Nothing you can do about it.

Next up on the shitlist: If there is any wind at all (ALWAYS is)… It now hits your rudder very much like a rogue wave. Now your nose points down. On toppa that, your plane's nose INSISTS on trying to reach the dead engine.

***IF*** the wing tilts over (and it will) you have the following three tiny widdoo problems facing you:

1. Pitch -- Since your horizontal stabilizer is useless, the nose pitches down. Oh, yummy.

2. Yaw -- Since one engine is just sitting there like a boil, the other one will force the nose of the plane toward that dead engine. Oh, deary dear.

3. Roll -- The plane will suddenly roll over toward the dead engine because the air is going slower over the POS engine.

Sooo… You are taking off, everything is maxed, the plane is juuuussst staggering into the air with nothing really left for oomph... and suddenly:

Your controls feel like they are no longer connected to anything. They do not work.

Your stupid plane tilts over and tries to catch the dead engine.

Your plane Pitches, Yaws, Rolls... all at utter minimum speed.

If your plane has one of those parachute thingies, pull the handle. If it does not, fire the rocket pods you have under the wings.

If you don't have any... you get to say the Pilot's Dirge: "OH SHIT!"

There is no way to get out of it once you are all the way into it. If you catch it instantly and do everything perfectly... you will have about a third of the chance a pilot of a real plane would have.

Best offer I can give to the pilot.

I do NOT like twins. I was not joking when I said the controls built into the plane will not bring the plane back <<-- It is possible to avert death if you do everything possible BEFORE you reach the dreaded "V".

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Orange County officials identified the deceased pilot as Antonio Pastini, 75, a retired Chicago police officer.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Holy crap TAEZZAR. What a hell of a thing to witness. I think I would be on edge for a long while after seeing something like that.
Naw, not at my age. I've seen worse than that.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Blame the pilot unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary = standard operating procedure

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Site Supporter
T

For Goldhedge:

That audio will be important to the FAA. I gots a double doctorate with crash-cluster in talking outa my ass, but I also happen to be a pilot.

Just like the longer you stay talking to the doctor, the better chance the doc has to figger out what is wrong witcha. And the situation sure as hell looks connected thisaway to me:

New data: Just took off. DATA POINT NOTE: If you take off "sloppy" in a twin engine beast, you have a window you really must be aware of and take care of --

Stall speed. In a real airyoplane, (that is, one with the engine where it is supposed to be -- in the middle) if you have an engine failure, your plane WILL go down... That is a given. But a single engine plane will go more or less straight, and more or less in a "steerable" configuration. It won't be fun, but it ain't nothing like a twin that stalls on one engine while climbing.

This brings up the dreaded "V" number.

When you lose an engine on a twin while not at full speed, a lot of really shitty things happen FAST.

The air no longer hits your tail evenly (note how you can -- even as a non-pilot -- intuitively see how this one-sided push can truly fuck you up. The plane tries to fly into the dead engine.

Next on the list of shit to sprinkle on your Big Mac: Now that your fargin rudder is trying to fly in a fargin vacuum (the body of the plane is now blocking your rudder. Shit.

Wozzat mean? It means your rudder don't fargin rudd. Your nice foot pedals go all goosey like they are no longer connected to anything. Sucks big. Scary. Nothing you can do about it.

Next up on the shitlist: If there is any wind at all (ALWAYS is)… It now hits your rudder very much like a rogue wave. Now your nose points down. On toppa that, your plane's nose INSISTS on trying to reach the dead engine.

***IF*** the wing tilts over (and it will) you have the following three tiny widdoo problems facing you:

1. Pitch -- Since your horizontal stabilizer is useless, the nose pitches down. Oh, yummy.

2. Yaw -- Since one engine is just sitting there like a boil, the other one will force the nose of the plane toward that dead engine. Oh, deary dear.

3. Roll -- The plane will suddenly roll over toward the dead engine because the air is going slower over the POS engine.

Sooo… You are taking off, everything is maxed, the plane is juuuussst staggering into the air with nothing really left for oomph... and suddenly:

Your controls feel like they are no longer connected to anything. They do not work.

Your stupid plane tilts over and tries to catch the dead engine.

Your plane Pitches, Yaws, Rolls... all at utter minimum speed.

If your plane has one of those parachute thingies, pull the handle. If it does not, fire the rocket pods you have under the wings.

If you don't have any... you get to say the Pilot's Dirge: "OH SHIT!"

There is no way to get out of it once you are all the way into it. If you catch it instantly and do everything perfectly... you will have about a third of the chance a pilot of a real plane would have.

Best offer I can give to the pilot.

I do NOT like twins. I was not joking when I said the controls built into the plane will not bring the plane back <<-- It is possible to avert death if you do everything possible BEFORE you reach the dreaded "V".
I saw a twin @ an airshow once that handled a dead engine with ease and grace (Avalon, VIC, Aus). I can't remember the make but the demo was impressive, cut the engine on take off and did loops etc. about 75 year old pilot at the time, forget the name but he used to fly with Chuck Yeager, they took his license off him for some reason (age I think), so the story went... he got it back after a fight with the authorities... anywhoooo, man if there was one thing he could do it was fly! Maybe that is enough info to work out who it was and what the plane was.

Man I'm getting vague!

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I saw a twin @ an airshow once that handled a dead engine with ease and grace (Avalon, VIC, Aus). I can't remember the make but the demo was impressive, cut the engine on take off and did loops etc. about 75 year old pilot at the time, forget the name but he used to fly with Chuck Yeager, they took his license off him for some reason (age I think), so the story went... he got it back after a fight with the authorities... anywhoooo, man if there was one thing he could do it was fly! Maybe that is enough info to work out who it was and what the plane was.

Man I'm getting vague!
That was Bob Hoover and more of an angel than a pilot. There's a lot of distance between a Sunday pilot and Bob Hoover. I wonder if the prop came off in air? I've heard of that happening do to the stress of takeoff.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
One possible scenario is a runaway propeller. That thing sounded like it was absolutely screaming way over the red line on rpm, this could have caused the engine to catastrophically fail in the air. Walt is right in that twin engine ac, especially the 414a like this one, are a hand full in the event of an engine failure at take off power and low airspeeds on the initial climb off the run way, especially when near max gross take off weights but this plane was lightly loaded. Just a terrible tragedy. Really weird the way it blew up in the air in the one video.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
That pilot was a fargin wizard. I cannot remember his name.

The plane used was a P-38 <-- which had been deemed to be "impossible" to take off on one engine.

Well, he did. But, while I consider myself a fair pilot... I could not have done what he did.

Moreover -- taking off with one engine (and therefore being VERY VERY CAREFUL about the "V" monster) is a double/triple shitload easier/more possible than recovering from a failed engine at near stall speed.

So I am calling "Apples and Oranges" on that one. Superlative (lone) test pilot versus Weekend Warrior, and different situation.

When I said in my previous post that if the pilot does everything exactly right (instantly!) he will have about 1/3 the chance of the real plane pilot with a failed engine.

The only thing that could lead to survival if you are the pilot of a twin and you are just a few hundred feet up in takeoff mode:

When the engine quits, against all your personal feelings of what to do... you MUST (TINS) cut the power to the remaining engine.

This will turn your POS twin into a POS glider -- but one that at least allows you to lower the nose to keep from dropping like a brick from stalling, and shakily fly (for an extremely short time) while you line up where you are going to put it down.

In Boca, there is a golf course at the north end of the runway. It was used.

BTW: I am gonna slap brag right here. I din' even have my license yet, and I was solo, just turning on to Base Leg (last turn before lining up on Final) when the engine of my Cessna 152 went "CLUNK!" and I was looking at a propeller sitting upright in front of me. Oh dear.

So I then lined up on final with my glider, called in my problem (broadcasting in the blind) and made a lovely landing. Even had enough speed left to make the very first turnoff to just barely get off the runway.

They threw me one hell of a party.

My shirt was not cut, it was fucking torn off. I got an informal award called a "Chevron", and lotsa, lotsa, lotsa praise from Crash Craddock, my Instructor Pilot.

LATE EDIT ADD TO RE-ESTABLISH REALITY/HUMILITY: I flunked my first test. Not in the air, but on the ground. I NEVER learned how to read those 1930-era teletype NOTAMS.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
video at link

Yorba Linda plane crash: Pilot was carrying false credentials that ID'd him as ex-Chicago police officer

YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) --
A pilot was carrying credentials that falsely identified him as a retired Chicago police officer when his Cessna crashed into a Yorba Linda neighborhood Sunday, killing him and four others, authorities said.

An Orange County Sheriff's Department spokesman told ABC News that the agency was contacted by the Chicago Police Department after a sheriff's lieutenant, speaking at a Monday news conference, described the pilot as a former officer.

It was not immediately clear why the man, identified as 75-year-old Antonio Pastini, was in possession of the fake credentials. According to authorities, his other identification details and his Federal Aviation Administration pilot's license are still believed to be authentic.

As of Tuesday morning, the coroner was still in the process of identifying the four badly burned victims -- two men and two women -- who were killed in a home that was struck by the plane's debris. Their conditions require additional measures -- including DNA -- to reach official identifications.

A close friend of the deceased said the family had gathered for their annual Super Bowl party when the deadly incident occurred.

The small plane ascended to about 7,800 feet before it crashed about 10 minutes after taking off from the Fullerton Municipal Airport, National Transportation Safety Board investigator Maja Smith said. Its wrecked fuselage ended up in a residential backyard.

Shawn Winch, who lives near the two-story home that erupted in an inferno, said the plummeting aircraft "sounded like a missile coming at my house."

"I got over there and the house was just engulfed in flames," he said. "Stuff was blowing up in the garage and everything else. It was horrible."

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Pilot whose plane crashed into Yorba Linda home, killing 5, was here to visit family

Antonio Pastini, left, with his daughter, Julia Ackley, in December 2018. Pastini was killed while piloting a small plane that crashed into a home in Yorba Linda, CA, on February 3, 2019. (PHOTO COURTESY OF JULIA ACKLEY)

The pilot of the small airplane that crashed into a Yorba Linda neighborhood on Sunday — killing him and four members of one family on the ground, and frightening nearby residents preparing for the Super Bowl — was described Monday as a longtime aviator who was visiting his daughter and granddaughter for the weekend.

Antonio Pastini, a 75-year-old restaurant owner from Gardnerville, Nev., and a retired Chicago police officer, took off from Fullerton Airport in his 1981 Cessna 414A at 1:35 p.m., flying solo.

Just 10 minutes later, the twin-engine aircraft began to break up mid-flight.

As the plane dove down onto the neighborhood just east of the Yorba Linda Country Club, pieces of the aircraft were scattered across the area.

Maja Smith, an aircraft accident investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board, said Monday that officials believe a wing from the plane and a fuel tank, so far unaccounted for in the search for debris, may have smashed into a house in the 19900 block of Crestknoll Drive, causing an explosion and fire.

Most of the plane’s fuselage ended up in the backyard of a property on Canyon Drive at the foot of an embankment behind the destroyed Crestknoll Drive home.

The two men and two women inside the home died, in addition to Pastini.

An Orange County Sheriff’s Department commander described the four dead as family members “attending a gathering” at the home. Two of the victims were the homeowners.

Their identities have not been released yet — coroner’s investigators had trouble accessing the bodies of the dead in the rubble of the home. Lt. Cory Martino of the Sheriff’s Department said collecting the DNA needed to confirm the victims’ identities could take a while.

Pastini, the pilot who had also gone by Jordan Isaacson and was known for years as Ike, was married and had three adult daughters, seven grandchildren and four great grandchildren. Julia Ackley, 49, who lives in Torrance, said her father was an an experienced airman who flew planes for her entire life.

“He loved that plane,” she said. “It was his baby.”

Ackley said her father bought the Cessna about a year ago. He had gotten work done on the aircraft since then, including a new paint job and the installation of a new motor.

Pastini flew the plane frequently, often flying in from Nevada to Fullerton Airport to see Ackley and her daughter on weekends. Both had flown in the aircraft with Pastini a few times, including a flight last month.

Her father flew into Fullerton on Friday night. She and her daughter had lunch with him the next day, when he promised to come back next weekend to watch the girl play in her first softball game.

“I talked to him later that evening, and asked him to please let me know when he made it home safely,” Ackley said. “He said he loved me and that was the last I heard from him.”

She later saw news about the crash, but didn’t think anything of it. She wouldn’t learn about her father’s death until around midnight on Sunday when she got a call from an Orange County Sheriff’s Department deputy.

On Monday, federal aviation investigators pored over the crash scene. Just around the corner, workers used blue tarps to cover the broken windows of another home in the 19700 block of Crestknoll Drive.

The windows were shattered when an engine and a propeller of the small Cessna smashed into the structure. Also damaged were five pillars on its front porch.

An NTSB official said Sunday that flying debris damaged at least four or five homes.

Nearby Glenknoll Elementary School was closed Monday after being designated a command center for the plane crash investigation, but planned to reopen on Tuesday.

Smith said investigators didn’t know yet what caused the crash, but were looking to see if “structural integrity, weather and any other factors” brought the plane down.

The NTSB did not immediately share maintenance records for the plane. There was no distress call from the plane before the crash, Smith said.

Video from residents in the area appeared to show that the Cessna started to break up before making a sharp dive into the neighborhood at around 1:45 p.m., according to the NTSB.

They estimated the debris field spanned about four blocks — a typical debris pattern seen when an aircraft starts to come apart mid-flight.

Two others on the ground had moderate injuries and were taken to the UC Irvine Health Regional Burn Center, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Carrie Braun. It’s not clear if they were also inside the home that caught fire. Their current conditions were not released.

On Monday, a stretch of Glendale Drive south of Crestknoll was closed as NTSB investigators scoured the area for wreckage.

Residents on the ground in Yorba Linda said they thought the crash sounded like a bomb going off.

Less than two hours before the Super Bowl between the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots, the neighborhood was packed with residents and visitors, some cooking in their backyards to get ready to watch the game.

Shawn Winch has lived in the neighborhood for seven years. He heard a loud whistling noise.

“It sounded like a missile coming at my house,” he said.

Then came the explosion. He ran from his backyard toward the crash site. When he arrived, he found a house engulfed in flames.

He and other neighbors tried to get into the home, but they heard several loud pops coming from inside.

“Stuff was blowing up in the garage,” he said. “It was pretty scary. It’s something you never think would happen. … There was a lot of crying, a lot of screaming (in the neighborhood). There were also people trying to run … in to help, but it was too late.”

Investigators asked any residents who witnessed the crash, or who have found debris in their yards or on roofs, to call 714-647-7000 or email witness@ntsb.gov.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Being from Chicago makes him suspect in my book. Probably pulling in one of those huge police pensions.