• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Tenant sneaks very important clause into his landlord's lease

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Tenant sneaks very important clause into his landlord's lease

Brian Koerber,Mashable 4 hours ago

6a117c2b4b4ece9d9f4def37331d2f03

Lesson learned: always read your lease in its entirety before signing.

When Redditor GloriousGherkins was delivered his lease to sign by his landlord, it was sent in a Word document instead of a .pdf file, meaning GloriousGherkins could alter the text in any way he wanted.

So the crafty renter decided to sneak in an extra clause, stating that the landlord must provide birthday cakes to the renters.

The clause, which is number 16 on the lease reads, "Lessor shall provide birthday cake for Lessee(s) in the weekend closest to their birthdays, which are June 7 and February 17. Vanilla cake is not acceptable."

In the comments, some Redditors argued about the sneakiness being illegal, but GloriousGherkins insisted that he is going to hold his landlord to the deal.

Comment from discussion My lease came as a Word file instead of PDF. I made a slight change before signing it..

What a great way to start a new business relationship.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tenant-sneaks-very-important-clause-181109596.html

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are offered any contract, you can legally amend it ... but changes to the offered form usually must be initialed by the other party to hold up in court. Unless he's holding a copy signed by the land lord, he's not getting cake.

SheepDog68

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
It's proper to do any changes in red or to strike through anything to be taken out to be accepted or not by the other party.

Sneaking something in will not stand up signed or not if one cares to argue it out!

I've had that game played on me by weak minded fools who felt better being sneaky than negotiating better on a multi million dollar contract.

I didn't need to argue it out because my copy got compared word for word with last rough draft that had been corrected before any ink hit the page!

SD

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I think it is cool. I would have put in double layered German chocolate cake my self. Ummmmm yummy, oh and a rider that the frosting be that coconut stuff.....like aunt Bessie used to make.

Contracts, yes I have been dinged by a few, usually it was that they had a sharper pencil.....or I was just too hungry....idk; lesson learned.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
When both parties sign the same paper, the contract is valid. A person who does not read every word on the paper is a fool. I have amended contracts with a pen and even refused some because of unacceptable terms. That's life. Anyone who signs without reading is an idiot.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Only a idiot would actually eat a birthday cake they tricked a landlord into providing..........i can think of thousands of ways to defeat the purpose of this clause.......just ignorance....

as stated above.....changes to a presented contract while legal must be identified as changed and changes initialed by both parties to stand up in court.......

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
Reaction score
.....changes to a presented contract while legal must be identified as changed and changes initialed by both parties to stand up in court.......

But in court, the lessee can claim the the birthday cake clause was part of the original contract. Because it was generated from a Word document which can be edited or altered after-the-fact.

A .pdf file cannot be altered without obvious signs of tampering.

The landlord made a mistake that he will not make again.

And God will make the asshole that altered the lease agreement die of cancer in 4 years.

What goes around comes around.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just get them a birthday cake and not bother fighting it. I would increase their lease whenever possible to include the price of the cake.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I have seen many cases where renters just have verbal agreements as contract based ones ultimately have to be enforced which can be very expensive. And you have to love how so many unwritten things happen on both sides where money is concerned.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be a edible cake.

Could have a baker make a nice inscription on top:

"This cake contains no more than 20% dog shit."

That answers those here who think (erroneously) that the contract is legal.

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Can it not also be argued that the renter did not in fact agree to the original agreement if it was changed then signed?

In other words, the original contract was not executed?

So as it exists currently, providing the LL didn't sign off on it, there is no contract in place?

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Not impressed. Pie > cake.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'd just get them a birthday cake and not bother fighting it. I would increase their lease whenever possible to include the price of the cake.

I'd evict their ass for fraud. However, if one were to go down your path, the lease just says that vanilla is unacceptable--nothing about a hair cake or turd cake being unacceptable.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd evict their ass for fraud. However, if one were to go down your path, the lease just says that vanilla is unacceptable--nothing about a hair cake or turd cake being unacceptable.

I'm not so sure evicting them would be a good idea, You would be forcing a vacancy over a cake.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I've been a landlord of many properties over the years. Trust me when I say I don't want a tenant that's looking to pull one over on me from The beginning. Better to get rid of them immediately and avoid future hassles.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
But in court, the lessee can claim the the birthday cake clause was part of the original contract. Because it was generated from a Word document which can be edited or altered after-the-fact.

lets say no birthday cake happens. what do you think is going to happen when this sneak steps into court?

do you think the tenant analyze the proper remedy under the contract, and explain to the court his harm? he's lucky if he doesn't get locked up for wasting the court's time.