• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Tesla in ‘Code Red Situation’ as Sell-Off Exceeds 20%

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
thought the index used market cap to qualify and for the weighting -- 500 largest, weighted by cap

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
here's why the code red operation was launched

View attachment 189344
LOL

no one in legitimate business would attach themselves to this at all...no how, no way

i'm not saying it's not true, i'm saying elon wouldn't be anywhere near this, that would be a death-knell

and if anyone thinks he's going to do this, short the hell out of Tesla now...

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
LOL

no one in legitimate business would attach themselves to this at all...no how, no way

i'm not saying it's not true, i'm saying elon wouldn't be anywhere near this, that would be a death-knell

and if anyone thinks he's going to do this, short the hell out of Tesla now...
he pissed off the (((media))) - attacks ensued, stock fell b/c of it. the bottom of that graphic is not the important part, that's not his. his is the quote

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
he pissed off the (((media))) - attacks ensued, stock fell b/c of it. the bottom of that graphic is not the important part, that's not his. his is the quote
The stock fell slightly because it's in a GIGANTIC bubble. That and they increased the share count via a split. What Elon says or does now matters less and less. Other than having to pay his outrageous bonuses.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
thought the index used market cap to qualify and for the weighting -- 500 largest, weighted by cap
The S&P 500 is a market weighted index. That's why they had to see whether they'd add it in two steps. The problem for the index is that Tesla will have a significant weight but it saw none of the growth. It's kinda like adding Exxon Mobile at it's peak and that's why I say they're adding an anchor.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That would be SpaceX, which Tesla has no stake in whatsoever. Musk may be draining every penny he can out of the public company, Tesla, while keeping the valuable asset, SpaceX. Probably what I would be tempted to do, were I a megalomaniac.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
elon is the man - regardless of the stock(s)

nasa could not figure out how to land rockets - despite billions and billions spent over decades on brains/expertise by their agency

so - they offered a reward for anyone that could figure it out.

musk did it and collected the reward

elon is a boss, deserving of legendary status

Last edited:

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I don't get the cult status of Elon. But I dont get the Kardashians either. He didnt do that, some no name engineers worked tirelessly and then probably got outsourced to India.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Off the top of my head, here are the industries Elon has transformed or is in the process of transforming:

Internet Banking (PayPal)
Tunneling - The Boring Company (soon to transform traffic)
Trains - Hyperloop
Space Travel - Spacex
Satellite Internet service: Spacex
Autonomous Driving: Tesla
Autos: Tesla
Trucking: Tesla
Energy Storage: Tesla
Battery Manufacture: Tesla
Residential Solar: Solar City/Tesla (yeah, they tanked before being acquired, but they changed the industry)
Roofing: Tesla Solar Roof
Neurotechnology: Neuralink

Next up: HVAC? Ride-sharing? Lithium mining? VTOL aircraft?

Argue with the valuations of his companies all you want, he's brilliant as both an engineer and CEO.
Yeah, he can be an asshat and idiot at times, but who isn't?

Last edited:

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
elon is the man - regardless of the stock(s)

nasa could not figure out how to land rockets - despite billions and billions spent over decades on brains/expertise by their agency

so - they offered a reward for anyone that could figure it out.

musk did it and collected the reward

elon is a boss, deserving of legendary status

why would you believe this technology was 'created' by an independent company in such short time it appears to be a feat larger than mankinds ability to create it???

this IS all NASA technology that we never got to see because NASA was just a facade, a money dump, lots of money went in peoples pockets instead of being used to punch holes through our atmosphere

and Elon and his rocket scientists received large stipends of taxpayer moneies to put this NASA technology to good use

Elon is the Frontman...that's about it...and he's but another foreigner who's telling the rest of us he's Great..."now send me more money and some more whiskey and pot"

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Off the top of my head, here are the industries Elon has transformed or is in the process of transforming:

Internet Banking (PayPal)
Tunneling - The Boring Company (soon to transform traffic)
Trains - Hyperloop
Space Travel - Spacex
Satellite Internet service: Spacex
Autonomous Driving: Tesla
Autos: Tesla
Trucking: Tesla
Energy Storage: Tesla
Battery Manufacture: Tesla
Residential Solar: Solar City/Tesla (yeah, they tanked before being acquired, but they changed the industry)
Roofing: Tesla Solar Roof
Neurotechnology: Neuralink

Next up: HVAC? Ride-sharing? Lithium mining? VTOL aircraft?

Argue with the valuations of his companies all you want, he's brilliant as both an engineer and CEO.
Yeah, he can be an asshat and idiot at times, but who isn't?
I'm sorry but here's how I read this...:dduck::dduck::dduck::dduck:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
why would you believe this technology was 'created' by an independent company in such short time it appears to be a feat larger than mankinds ability to create it???

this IS all NASA technology that we never got to see because NASA was just a facade, a money dump, lots of money went in peoples pockets instead of being used to punch holes through our atmosphere

and Elon and his rocket scientists received large stipends of taxpayer moneies to put this NASA technology to good use

Elon is the Frontman...that's about it...and he's but another foreigner who's telling the rest of us he's Great..."now send me more money and some more whiskey and pot"
i can feel your argument -- esp if they wanted to have a corporation do whatever it is they are doing

but then i see the opposite -- nasa admits failure, hurting image and funding. this by an agency that is already a laughingstock to millions of americans

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
He saved $18 million dollars on each launch. Ok great. Companies cut those kinds of costs all the time, it doesn't make them cult leaders.
That illustrates part of why St. Elon is such a cult-hero: Lack of perspective of the young Robbin'-Hood investors. The Air Force was playing with barges as landing pads decades ago. Electric cars are older than Karl Benz' petrol-powered ones. And the kids with Robbin'-Hood accounts, don't grasp: Tesla doesn't answer the primary question, where do those electrons COME from? And how much pollution comes of THAT?

Even his "flamethrower" by the boring company (how fitting!) is nothing more than a repackaged roofer's torch, to soften baked asphalt roofing material. A REAL flamethrower is a two-man affair; is a prohibited weapon...and was no fun for the sad sacks in Vietnam, told to use it. The VC knew what it was and aimed for the napalm tank. The flame thrower shot a gob of flaming napalm.

No, St. Elon of Musk is just our generation's P.T. Barnum. Sucker born every minute...this way to the Egress! See the great Egress, right through that door!

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That illustrates part of why St. Elon is such a cult-hero: Lack of perspective of the young Robbin'-Hood investors. The Air Force was playing with barges as landing pads decades ago. Electric cars are older than Karl Benz' petrol-powered ones. And the kids with Robbin'-Hood accounts, don't grasp: Tesla doesn't answer the primary question, where do those electrons COME from? And how much pollution comes of THAT?

Even his "flamethrower" by the boring company (how fitting!) is nothing more than a repackaged roofer's torch, to soften baked asphalt roofing material. A REAL flamethrower is a two-man affair; is a prohibited weapon...and was no fun for the sad sacks in Vietnam, told to use it. The VC knew what it was and aimed for the napalm tank. The flame thrower shot a gob of flaming napalm.

No, St. Elon of Musk is just our generation's P.T. Barnum. Sucker born every minute...this way to the Egress! See the great Egress, right through that door!
Yeah, I really don't know how he came to build this cult... Was it all from a bunch of Tech bloggers? Twitter trolls?

They haven't transformed any of those industries. They certainly didn't invent any of those technologies. Most are older than me. Several have already failed. Paypal and internet banking? I still don't know how they claim Elon even has a piece of this market. Paypal was nice back when it was started by Peter Thiel but it sucks now. He never touched cryptocurrencies. They aren't making any batteries, Panasonic does that happily for them. And the technology of a battery goes back as far as Ancient Egypt.

The best argument is for self-driving cars but several companies were ahead there and I'd include Google among those.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Happy candle on decent volume, now resistance is the all time high

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 2.09.39 PM.png

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I can see that either forming a double top or possibly breaking out for another insane run.

I will predict this right now. The day Tesla is added to the S$P 500 will be at least a medium term top in the S&P 500 and perhaps the all time high in Tesla before it's fall.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I can see that either forming a double top or possibly breaking out for another insane run.

I will predict this right now. The day Tesla is added to the S$P 500 will be at least a medium term top in the S&P 500 and perhaps the all time high in Tesla before it's fall.
We're in a new Age of The Crony. First, Loveable Joe will order a phased ban on petroleum and vehicles that run on it...with exceptions, of course, for "hardship." Hardship being measured by contributions to the Party, cash or effort, past or future.

That will send St Elon's version of the Wonka Works, into the stock-stratosphere. That will excite the Robbin'-Hood users/usees. Then some tax benefits for some fantasized benefits...get Silly Ho out to blather about how Elon is SAVING! THE! PLANET! and watch the stock go higher. Watch Ho buy in, or be gifted in. Nice money if you can make it.

The circus goes on, until it doesn't. What crashes this hype roller-coaster, I can't guess; but it will.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Covered for a loss of a whopping $32. Will look for another good entry point, probably in Dec.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Covered for a loss of a whopping $32. Will look for another good entry point, probably in Dec.
There should be an opportunity dec-jan, but be wary of Q4 earnings. Probably another strong quarter.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
why is the valuation for the company so high? it's certainly not just the car biz

i own a mutual fund that is over 20 percent tesla. as tsla has gone crazy over last year i've been selling into the insanity. the fund is up over 64 percent year to date. that's insane for a mutual fund

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
why is the valuation for the company so high? it's certainly not just the car biz

i own a mutual fund that is over 20 percent tesla. as tsla has gone crazy over last year i've been selling into the insanity. the fund is up over 64 percent year to date. that's insane for a mutual fund
Wow, that is insane for a mutual fund. I doubt their mandate even allows that. May I ask what fund family is run like that?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Wow, that is insane for a mutual fund. I doubt their mandate even allows that. May I ask what fund family is run like that?
'legend' ron baron -- baron partners fund (concentrated....but THAT concentrated is ridiculous). that's why i've been steadily easing out of it. owned it for years -- the tesla thing grew out of scale with the rest, and he's just let it run

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Tesla's No. 1 Fan Works for Its Biggest Rival
Chris Bryant
Wed, November 18, 2020, 10:30 PM PST·4 min read

(Bloomberg Opinion) -- Investors who joined Volkswagen AG’s annual spending update this week may have wondered whether they had the dial-in details right. Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess was there to explain how VW will deploy its massive 150 billion-euro ($178 billion) investment budget over the next five years, but he spent much of the time talking about another carmaker based thousands of miles away in California.

Tesla Inc. was mentioned 31 times by management and analysts during the near two-hour presentation. That’s how much Elon Musk’s electric-car venture is occupying VW’s minds these days, and those of its investors.

The U.S. company’s elevation to the S&P500 is the latest chapter in its remarkable rise. Musk’s company has only recently started making consistent profit, and its sales volumes and cash flow remain a sliver of more established carmakers. But its strategy, coupled with more stringent regulation and the climate crisis, has upended the auto industry. Nowhere is Musk’s influence more apparent than at VW, the world’s biggest carmaker. Diess is a huge admirer.

“This planning round contains all the investments necessary to really strive for technology leadership against Tesla,” Diess told his audience, highlighting vehicle software and autonomous driving as areas where VW has to catch up. “Everything is set up [for us] to become, on the technological basis, competitive with Tesla.”

The idea that VW has anything to learn from Tesla — whose vehicle interiors and manufacturing quality fall short of best-in-class — would once have been heresy in VW’s Wolfsburg headquarters. The German giant owns coveted brands with proud engineering traditions, such as Audi and Porsche, and it spends 14 billion euros a year on research and development. That’s more than 10 times Tesla’s R&D budget.

But under Diess’s direction, VW has begun benchmarking itself against Musk’s company. VW’s aggressive counterattack will soon see it leapfrog Tesla to become the world’s leading manufacturer of electric cars. Thanks to new launches like the ID4 SUV, and a slate of similar offerings coming from Skoda and Audi, the company aims to sell as many as 3 million electric cars annually by 2025.

article continued...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon...f6eX_KVSntYzD4fCHxFw_KXv60sNORF3_THXodWRiy93K

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Tesla's No. 1 Fan Works for Its Biggest Rival
Chris Bryant
Wed, November 18, 2020, 10:30 PM PST·4 min read

(Bloomberg Opinion) -- Investors who joined Volkswagen AG’s annual spending update this week may have wondered whether they had the dial-in details right. Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess was there to explain how VW will deploy its massive 150 billion-euro ($178 billion) investment budget over the next five years, but he spent much of the time talking about another carmaker based thousands of miles away in California.

Tesla Inc. was mentioned 31 times by management and analysts during the near two-hour presentation. That’s how much Elon Musk’s electric-car venture is occupying VW’s minds these days, and those of its investors.

The U.S. company’s elevation to the S&P500 is the latest chapter in its remarkable rise. Musk’s company has only recently started making consistent profit, and its sales volumes and cash flow remain a sliver of more established carmakers. But its strategy, coupled with more stringent regulation and the climate crisis, has upended the auto industry. Nowhere is Musk’s influence more apparent than at VW, the world’s biggest carmaker. Diess is a huge admirer.

“This planning round contains all the investments necessary to really strive for technology leadership against Tesla,” Diess told his audience, highlighting vehicle software and autonomous driving as areas where VW has to catch up. “Everything is set up [for us] to become, on the technological basis, competitive with Tesla.”

The idea that VW has anything to learn from Tesla — whose vehicle interiors and manufacturing quality fall short of best-in-class — would once have been heresy in VW’s Wolfsburg headquarters. The German giant owns coveted brands with proud engineering traditions, such as Audi and Porsche, and it spends 14 billion euros a year on research and development. That’s more than 10 times Tesla’s R&D budget.

But under Diess’s direction, VW has begun benchmarking itself against Musk’s company. VW’s aggressive counterattack will soon see it leapfrog Tesla to become the world’s leading manufacturer of electric cars. Thanks to new launches like the ID4 SUV, and a slate of similar offerings coming from Skoda and Audi, the company aims to sell as many as 3 million electric cars annually by 2025.

article continued...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon...f6eX_KVSntYzD4fCHxFw_KXv60sNORF3_THXodWRiy93K
Nice fluff piece. But worthless info. Except that what passes for management these days is rather pathetic.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
'legend' ron baron -- baron partners fund (concentrated....but THAT concentrated is ridiculous). that's why i've been steadily easing out of it. owned it for years -- the tesla thing grew out of scale with the rest, and he's just let it run
Man, this one is 45% Tesla. That is beyond crazy. He's got to have hedge's or stops in place but it didn't trigger when it went from 500 to ~350.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BPTRX/holdings?p=BPTRX

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Baron's average cost is around $40's, so he's over 10x already and aiming for 50x.
Not so easy to just dump 7 million shares on a dip.
He's going to regret that choice. That's really questionable for a mutual fund. If that goes bad he could be in trouble.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
He's going to regret that choice. That's really questionable for a mutual fund. If that goes bad he could be in trouble.
i've sold off a third of my position this year - and the damn thing is still higher than when i started dumping. i started buying that fund a long LONG time ago - when it first rolled out to the public i was one of the first investors. disappointed that it's gotten so lopsided

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Still looks like it is going to $700.
Institutional investors including index funds and benchmark funds need to buy about 38% of the float in the next 3-4 weeks.
I'll take some profits in late dec, and I won't be the only one.

But then Q4 will set new records for sales & earnings.
2021 they are on track between 50% to 100% growth in vehicle sales on improving margins.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Institutional investors including index funds and benchmark funds need to buy about 38% of the float in the next 3-4 weeks.
I'll take some profits in late dec, and I won't be the only one.

But then Q4 will set new records for sales & earnings.
2021 they are on track between 50% to 100% growth in vehicle sales on improving margins.
+ It will be front run by all manner of traders. Has to be a blow-off top in the mid term, it almost can't help but be.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
And I'll be happy to double my previous short position when we get near wherever that impossible high may be found. It's gonna be a GIANT anchor on the S&P.

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I may have to reevaluate their business plan. I know this isn't directly Tesla's problem but it seems to happen a LOT.

Sell cars to morons. Let them wreck said car. Sell them another one. Brilliant. Until they can no longer afford $70,000 wrecking balls I suppose.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technolog...hing-hot-battery-projectiles-two-nearby-homes
and to think people have those battery packs strapped to the walls of their homes...they should rename them "Fire Walls", but that's already been taken