• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Tesla in ‘Code Red Situation’ as Sell-Off Exceeds 20%

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also looks like this could be a great time to short. Retesting the all-time highs and the momentum is clearly in decline. :ponder:

View attachment 228942
Front-running earnings due Wednesday. Will be another record profit, but probably will fall for a couple of days before stabilizing.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Tesla stopped receiving federal tax credits in 2018. Except for GM, the other auto manufacturers are still receiving it.
Yes, they get some state tax benefits. And regulatory tax credits which they sell to Fiat/Chrysler, who find it cheaper to subsidize Tesla than build their own EV's.

Top-10-EV-Automakers-by-Sales-June-2019.png
Well, Color Me Amazed !

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I keep thinking that a good business model would be a fleet of mobile Diesel generators for charging EVs on demand in emergencies, peak prosperity/vacation zones and dead zones between charge stations whose distance exceeds the EV charge range.
Take far longer to charge it, meaningfully, than it would to tow it off.

A tow truck would work better, except that you have to have a boatload of permits.

And I expect that they'd quickly classify roadside charging as "roadside service" and require the same permits.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Front-running earnings due Wednesday. Will be another record profit, but probably will fall for a couple of days before stabilizing.

It's more fun and necessary now to fight these commies on the jab's. So I'll short MRNA and leave ya all to play with Tesla. But I sure as heck wouldn't be buying and taking profits if I owned the thing. Buy, hey, to each their own.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's more fun and necessary now to fight these commies on the jab's. So I'll short MRNA and leave ya all to play with Tesla. But I sure as heck wouldn't be buying and taking profits if I owned the thing. Buy, hey, to each their own.
I just keep selling the rallies and buying the dips.
I believe it is headed higher medium to long term.
Short term? I expect up, down and sideways.

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
This thread began May 2019. Here's what TSLA has been doing.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.08.54 AM.png

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Zed

Argent
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
To da moon next!

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
To da moon next!

Speaking of, I just threw GME on top and would you look at that... almost the exact same return from 2019 in either of these stocks right now. So I guess the ticket doesn't matter, just make sure you have one.

1634734492150.png

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Yah, the Fed's Plunge Protection Team at work...with tool-bags filled with FREE MONEY.

Just be sure you bail out before the banksters engineer another controlled demolition, and all your unrealized gains are gone.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yah, the Fed's Plunge Protection Team at work...with tool-bags filled with FREE MONEY.

Just be sure you bail out before the banksters engineer another controlled demolition, and all your unrealized gains are gone.

Oh, I at least have taken some realized gains and tried to put a chunk into the silver squeeze. :banana:

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Yeah, when it happens we'll say "a building 7 just happened!".

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are we there yet, Papa Smurf?
Gap up on news Hertz is buying 100,000 Tesla vehicles. Hertz is still in biz?! Just a wee bit overbought, eh?
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.08.11 PM.png

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hertz, hey bankruptcy isn't so bad. Let's get back and blow another $5 Billion dollars of these stupid bankers money.

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Hertz, hey bankruptcy isn't so bad. Let's get back and blow another $5 Billion dollars of these stupid bankers money.
Yeah. I guess the fire-sale of rental cars, didn't exactly teach them anything.

We get to see a repeat, in months. Not longer - this Everything Bubble is being pricked.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Tesla stock just made the biggest 12-day gain in the history of capital markets​

BY
SHAWN TULLY
November 3, 2021 6:57 AM PDT

In just 12 trading days, the world's investors lifted the value of a midsize player in a generally slogging, heavy-metal- bending business by nearly $400 billion. As far as this writer can tell, Tesla notched the biggest dollar jump in market cap, in that brief a period, in the annals of equities. Tesla's stock went on a tear after it unveiled strong Q3 earnings on Oct. 20. Two days later, its valuation crossed the $1 trillion mark for the first time. Then, news of an agreement to sell 100,000 EVs to Hertz propelled a one-day gain of 13% to $1,025 a share. Momentum from a "contract" that CEO Elon Musk dismisses as having "zero effect on our economics" boosted Tesla to an all-time record close of $1,209 on Nov. 1. In a week plus two business days, Tesla's market value mushroomed from $818 billion to $1.21 trillion, for an increase of roughly $392 billion.

The four previous members of the trillion-dollar club that Tesla just joined have also enjoyed huge, sudden spurts in market cap in raging bull market for tech and social media over the past year. Although Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and Alphabet all started at valuations of over $1 trillion 12 months ago, well above Tesla's level when it began the almost $400 billion rampage, none of their spikes matched Tesla's stupendous surge. Keep in mind we're talking about an enterprise that sales-wise is one-quarter the size of Microsoft, less than one-fifth of Alphabet, one-eighth of Apple, and one-tenth of Amazon.

The other trillion-dollar players garnered big leaps, but nothing like Tesla's moonshot​

From this reporter's research, no other company comes close to gaining $392 billion in 12 trading days. To measure Tesla's feat, however, let’s look at the biggest upswings, even if they happened over a longer time frame. The closest competitor is apparently Apple's 17% run from June 7 to July 19 of this year. That march swelled the iPhone maker's cap to $2.4 billion––but took almost three times as long, and fell short by around $50 billion. Apple had another strong ramp-up over 15 trading days from March 22 to April 12, adding 11%, or $220 billion.
Microsoft's closest liftoffs came over the 20 days from Sept. 27 to Oct. 25, when it advanced by 11.4%, adding $225 billion, and a 15% increase over the 15 days from Jan. 11 to Feb. 8, when it gained $240 billion. As for Amazon, its best episode was a 9.4% takeoff in nine days bridging June 21 and July 5 that hiked its valuation by $165 billion. Alphabet got its quickest super-boost from March 22 to April 26, a span of 25 days, when its shares sprinted almost 18%, tacking $240 billion to its market cap.
On Nov. 1, Musk shocked the markets by tweeting that although Hertz had issued a press release announcing the sale, drawing cheers from Wall Street, he "had to emphasize" that the parties hadn't signed a contract. That left open to question whether the sale will actually happen. Tesla's shares dropped, but not by much. As of the close on Nov. 2, they had retreated just 3.1% from the summit. That erased $12 billion from the $392 billion, 12-day advance. Even after that modest selloff, Tesla still ranks first for a 14-day spree. Tesla has set a record for the trillion-dollar club. It's also setting the club record for great, if not impossible, expectations.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
will it fill in the gap near $900?

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 12.45.52 AM.png

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Crazy, but just about Every single Youtuber that I watch buy/own/reco Tesla. The only one that doesn't recommend the stock, has been dying to drive one and is renting one now. It's just an age group thing.

One thing is a fact. Being short Moderna worked a hell of a lot better than trying to short this tesla phenomenon.

Last edited:

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy, but just about Every single Youtuber that I watch buy/own/reco Tesla. The only one that doesn't recommend the stock, has been dying to drive one and is renting one now. It's just an age group thing.

One thing is a fact. Being short Moderna worked a hell of a lot better than trying to short this tesla phenomenon.
Can't short a religion.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Can't short a religion.

This is true... But the cult leader can certainly cash in. Lol his brother sold a bunch Friday.

I mean it's only a P/E ratio of 400 now. :dduck:

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is true... But the cult leader can certainly cash in. Lol his brother sold a bunch Friday.

I mean it's only a P/E ratio of 400 now. :dduck:
It's come down a lot!
What is the appropriate PE for a company growing at about 70%YOY with improving margins?

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 2.50.28 PM.png

Zed

Argent
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
2 new factories are about to open, Texas and Germany, Model Y orders are backed up til June 2022, Model 3 Early next year depending on options...its also fasting selling car in Europe, Space-X doing well, battery storage doing well, 150,000 cars ordered by Hertz over next few years, Cybertruck coming....and still haters hating...what a country.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2 new factories are about to open, Texas and Germany, Model Y orders are backed up til June 2022, Model 3 Early next year depending on options...its also fasting selling car in Europe, Space-X doing well, battery storage doing well, 150,000 cars ordered by Hertz over next few years, Cybertruck coming....and still haters hating...what a country.
Also, if MADE IN USA means anything, they are the most American-made car currently produced. Vertical integration.

Meanwhile, Biden shits on Tesla day in and out and hired an outright Tesla hater to leadership at NHTSA.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-...ndex-which-cars-are-the-most-american-437020/

1. Tesla Model 3: Fremont, Calif. (4) | Research | Shop
2. Ford Mustang: Flat Rock, Mich. (34) | Research | Shop
3. Tesla Model Y: Fremont, Calif. (unranked) | Research | Shop
4. Jeep Cherokee: Belvidere, Ill. (2) | Research | Shop
5. Chevrolet Corvette: Bowling Green, Ky. (8) | Research | Shop
6. Honda Ridgeline: Lincoln, Ala. (6) | Research | Shop
7. Honda Odyssey: Lincoln, Ala. (5) | Research | Shop
8. Honda Pilot: Lincoln, Ala. (13) | Research | Shop
9. Honda Passport: Lincoln, Ala. (7) | Research | Shop
10. Toyota Tundra: San Antonio (16) | Research | Shop
11. Ford Expedition, Expedition Max: Louisville, Ky. (20) | Research | Shop
12. Acura RDX: East Liberty, Ohio (14) | Research | Shop
13. Acura TLX: Marysville, Ohio (25) | Research | Shop
14. Chevrolet Colorado: Wentzville, Mo. (10) | Research | Shop
15. GMC Canyon: Wentzville, Mo. (11) | Research | Shop
16. Jeep Grand Cherokee: Detroit (26) | Research | Shop
17. Honda Accord: Marysville, Ohio (15) | Research | Shop
18. Toyota Avalon: Georgetown, Ky. (29) | Research | Shop
19. Lexus ES: Georgetown, Ky.* (28) | Research | Shop
20. Lincoln Navigator, Navigator L: Louisville, Ky. (54) | Research | Shop

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
100 seems extreme.
Amazon was a great buy at a PE of 3600.
Not saying Tesla is Amazon, just saying PE isn't the best indicator when evaluating companies in rapid growth.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 2.38.18 PM.png

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Not saying Tesla is Amazon, just saying PE isn't the best indicator when evaluating companies in rapid growth.

View attachment 231386
So, let me see if I get this.

P/E of just a TRACE...but, because "price rises" it's a good investment.

...because of Bigger Fools? What happens if, as it comes to be, you're the biggest fool buying?

Why was the stock rising? Could it, maybe, have had to do with QE-ZIRP, lent to FRB member banks, short-term, no cost...that they could then pour into house investment pools, owned BY said banks? Something that was illegal until Bubba took care to help his crony friends who helped him stay in?

So. The stock is worthless as a productive investment, but because money is printed up and given to banks at no cost, to then pour into stonk-indices funds, and this causes zombie companies and no-return companies that have never produced significant profit...causes their share prices to rise...it's all good?

Do you want to know why I'm in PMs right now? That is why.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

View attachment 231386

NOW that is a cherry picked data point. Lol. How about a 3 month average.

Zed

Argent
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Yeah, in terms of what price did... but in terms of a rational price expectation based on the business?! I dunno man, we should be staring at a pretty rough patch given all that has happened and the epic debt bubble. I'm of the mind that the market is in lala land and has been to one degree or another since the 2008 response. We are thinking this is 'normal' and 'sane' these days and it is just NOT.

That isn't to say that we don't blow off another 20% here... just that it is a long way from rational and sober, no matter how good you think these businesses really are PE's like that are discounting 'total world domination' ---> just not going to happen!

Zed

Argent
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

It's not a matter of hate, it's a matter of rational valuation. They are valued at many multiples of the competition and there is some good product coming to market from the competition. The gap should not be what it is.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Now this is an example of hate.

Haha I found this funny. How many want to bet none of these people included a battery replacement cost into their calcs. That's a LOT of oil changes.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
no such thing as Bad Publicity
Now this is an example of hate.

Haha I found this funny. How many want to bet none of these people included a battery replacement cost into their calcs. That's a LOT of oil changes.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The thing that’s hilarious is all these people that think the things are green. SMH. Also the fact that only rich people could afford them so where does that leave the poor? What will they drive in 20 years when there are no longer any used cars available that are still running? Cause these things won’t be.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
These things are a horrible idea...but at least they're also overpriced!

1640105385820.png

Garbage. Even if the POS doesn't spontaneously combust while charging, the batteries decline and cost $16k to replace. Quick charging drops the expected life of the battery dramatically as well. Most people buy this junk for ideological reasons and never consider the practicality or lack thereof.

Compared to hybrids, gasoline, or diesel these things are a horrible decision for the vast majority of buyers...even if they do make one "feel" as though they're saving the world from evil carbon fairies.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
the devil is in the details

several of us have been saying this for a few years, EV's are not sustainable at anywhere near the cost of ICE vehicles

and there's not enough raw material to saturate the earth with EV's

(but they sure do make for great status symbols, especially at night, while they're on fire, and you're standing back in your pajamas)

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
the devil is in the details

several of us have been saying this for a few years, EV's are not sustainable at anywhere near the cost of ICE vehicles

and there's not enough raw material to saturate the earth with EV's

(but they sure do make for great status symbols, especially at night, while they're on fire, and you're standing back in your pajamas)
It's all part of the Woketard anti-intellectualism...Feelings Before Facts.

Doing my daily power-walk...past a dentist's office (different route today than I normally take). Sign on the door, FACE MASKS REQUIRED. Second sign: We support the American Dental Association recommendation on USE OF FACE MASKS.

Which, I need not rehash, DO NOTHING. If they don't block cooking odors and smoke, they don't block viruses. If you have to take them off to get your mouth serviced...gee. Do viruses cower in fear from dental instruments?

It's two broads who're playing Doctor, with DDS degrees. UNABLE TO CRITICALLY THINK.

Which is far-and-away the norm, today.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It's all part of the Woketard anti-intellectualism...Feelings Before Facts.

Doing my daily power-walk...past a dentist's office (different route today than I normally take). Sign on the door, FACE MASKS REQUIRED. Second sign: We support the American Dental Association recommendation on USE OF FACE MASKS.

Which, I need not rehash, DO NOTHING. If they don't block cooking odors and smoke, they don't block viruses. If you have to take them off to get your mouth serviced...gee. Do viruses cower in fear from dental instruments?

It's two broads who're playing Doctor, with DDS degrees. UNABLE TO CRITICALLY THINK.

Which is far-and-away the norm, today.
but they still need you and your business so they can continue to pay off their student loans...oh the irony

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
These things are a horrible idea...but at least they're also overpriced!

View attachment 237798

Garbage. Even if the POS doesn't spontaneously combust while charging, the batteries decline and cost $16k to replace. Quick charging drops the expected life of the battery dramatically as well. Most people buy this junk for ideological reasons and never consider the practicality or lack thereof.

Compared to hybrids, gasoline, or diesel these things are a horrible decision for the vast majority of buyers...even if they do make one "feel" as though they're saving the world from evil carbon fairies.

Exactly, anyone who understands even 10% of lithium batteries will avoid these like the plague.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Florida has a high retired population, where travel is often discretionary - at least as to time chosen; and who need not travel great distances.

Probably most of these buyers have a gas car, also, for longer trips.

As well, Florida owners won't spend time in a blizzard, in traffic, with the heater going.