• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Tesla in ‘Code Red Situation’ as Sell-Off Exceeds 20%

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I doubt range is effectively any different.
The verbal claims made suggest that range and charge times bring them to within competitive range of petrol.

I really have no clue as to what technical issues might scupper them but there and many working on it and really, someone will work it out. Not so long ago battery tools really sucked... now look @ the amazing range off the back of lithium cells. Frankly I expect that at some point cars will make the same step forward.

Last edited:

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
that is so true Zed,
many tradesman on the sites now are almost fully battery electric,

whereas before we would have air lines and electric cords going all over the place.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This is nuts. They announced an SEC investigation, Raising $2 Billion by selling new stock, and its UP $40 today. :dduck::bomb 1:

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is nuts. They announced an SEC investigation, Raising $2 Billion by selling new stock, and its UP $40 today. :dduck::bomb 1:
Dilute the stock and it rallies. Go figure.

I am still expecting Tesla to take a hit along with the broader global economy due to coronavirus.

Friend in Beijing says it's a ghost town.

The world's largest economy is shutting down.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
many tradesman on the sites now are almost fully battery electric,
Cords bug me, so much so I'm thinking of just shelving most of my gear and committing mostly to battery tools. I've been tossing up which brand for a couple of years now, confused over the range and proficiency of the tools I use most. Frankly I'd like to cherry pick the various offerings AND now I discover I can because battery adapters are available!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

They also do ni-cd to lithium so I can dig out the old Makitas I have somewhere!

Last edited:

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Dilute the stock and it rallies. Go figure.

I am still expecting Tesla to take a hit along with the broader global economy due to coronavirus.

Friend in Beijing says it's a ghost town.

TSLA is a symptom here IMO, it should go south with the rest of the market. --> JMO.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
All you need is coke, a stupid fast lecky car (well fast for a few minutes before bricking it) and a hooker! Then it will all make sense... @ least until you wake up tomorrow broke and alone in a town with no supercharger! LOL.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Thanks for posting. This was right up my alley. My research group had long worked on alkali solid state electrolytes. Of course I was tasked with making a proton solid state conductor which turned out to be an entirely different animal.

I do remember posting about the Goodenough breakthrough on the other site a couple years ago but I dont remember very well. I'll try and dig it up but it may be gone because I was too racist for those snowflakes. That word also got banned, lol.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This was announced back in 2017.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology/

Here is the actual paper that I found very interesting. I had never seen Cl in these glasses. Although I did try messing with some F but again I was trying to get fricking protons to move. We had lots of glasses 20 years ago but I think the best we could do was 10-3 with Na or Ag ions. They were also unstable in air so that's a problem.

https://pubs.rsc.org/-/content/articlehtml/2016/ee/c6ee02888h

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
They also do ni-cd to lithium so I can dig out the old Makitas I have somewhere!
If you ever get the time... peruse AvE's videos. He tears down tools and whatnot and analyses them for quality... or not.

He also does batteries...

However, for raw power, you can't beat the pixies coming out of the wall with a battery....

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
A parabolic stiffy...

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 11.24.36 AM.png

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
If you ever get the time... peruse AvE's videos. He tears down tools and whatnot and analyses them for quality... or not.

He also does batteries...

However, for raw power, you can't beat the pixies coming out of the wall with a battery....
I love his stuff!

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Bought the bounce off support at $351, sold at $425 for a quick 20%+ one day trade.
Guess it will retest support and fail. But anyway, it has filled in it's gaps from the short squeeze.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.03.34 AM.png

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Approaching all time highs where I sold it last time.
Battery day is coming and I don't believe the market understands what that is going to mean.
Announcing that they have a million mile battery with costs under 100kwh is almost a given - that means that an electric car will compete with ICE on sticker price. They already blow away ICE on running costs and maintenance.

Further, I am expecting they are going to announce that a Tesla will be able to operate as grid storage - so owners will be able to buy and sell energy to and from the grid at a profit, as well as use their car as emergency power backup for the home or business.
The entire fleet of Teslas will instantly be the largest battery storage on earth.

sc.png

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Talk to me when the company can actually turn a consistent profit AND the fundamentals support the market price.

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
They already blow away ICE on running costs and maintenance.
but, not on birth nor death costs...just wait

Tesla will be able to operate as grid storage - so owners will be able to buy and sell energy to and from the grid at a profit, as well as use their car as emergency power backup for the home or business.
The entire fleet of Teslas will instantly be the largest battery storage on earth.
:dduck::dduck::dduck::dduck::dduck:

my local grid will soon be based upon the storage capacity of a group of cars...

and i want to hop into my electric car but someone else is using the electricity potential stored in it...what's my range going to be at that point

dreams at such a huge cost...and it's YOUR DIME TOO!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
DO NOT TRUST THIS BULL MARKET. The FED has spent money worse than a drunken sailor. Even a drunken sailor runs out of money til next payday. FED just keeps printing.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Battery day is coming and I don't believe the market understands what that is going to mean.
Announcing that they have a million mile battery with costs under 100kwh is almost a given - that means that an electric car will compete with ICE on sticker price. They already blow away ICE on running costs and maintenance.

Further, I am expecting they are going to announce that a Tesla will be able to operate as grid storage - so owners will be able to buy and sell energy to and from the grid at a profit, as well as use their car as emergency power backup for the home or business.

View attachment 168317
No way in Heck they have a "million mile" battery. I know battery tech very well and that isn't even close to possible with current tech. Unless its the size of their new truck. Perhaps half the truck is battery.

I am THIS close to shorting this thing.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The energy required to move an automobile and the energy source itself a MILLION miles is only going to be available when we have cold fusion. Atomic energy is not enough.

Pilgrims... some rough arithmetic: Notice that the weight of the EXISTING battery is only 28% of the fargin car!

Now let's look at that fargin car: 4600 pounds. WAY over two fargin TONS.

The existing battery can move this thing a gee-whiz 390 wow gosh miles.

Remove (battery) and replace it with a MILLION-mile battery that actually does not weigh a fargin thing. Existing battery = 1323 pounds.

You now have a vehicle that will have to travel 2,546 TIMES FURTHER than existing technology capability.

Does that sound reasonable?

Me neither.

Do a basic energy requirement for moving several tons of metal a million fucking miles. Thermonuclear power needed.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
PLEASE do, I made $$$ on the last short squeeze.
Up about 7% today.
Not when idiots are bidding up Hertz. A company that already filed is now higher than when they announced bankruptcy. Robbinhood insanity.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
No way in Heck they have a "million mile" battery. I know battery tech very well and that isn't even close to possible with current tech. Unless its the size of their new truck. Perhaps half the truck is battery.
GM says they are close as well. The tech is evolving fast with all the billions being thrown at R&D.
The question is not IF, but WHEN and at what cost.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128230_gm-close-to-developing-million-mile-battery
GM close to developing million-mile battery
Viknesh Vijayenthiran VIKNESH VIJAYENTHIRAN MAY 20, 2020 COMMENT NOW!
View Gallery
It appears Tesla isn't the only automaker at the forefront of battery technology.

After it was reported in May that Tesla and Chinese battery supplier CATL were readying a low-cost battery capable of lasting a million miles, Doug Parks, head of global product development and purchasing at General Motors, said in an interview with Reuters published Tuesday that GM was “almost there” on development of its own battery able to last a million miles.

According to Parks, GM is already developing more advanced batteries than the Ultium battery announced in March. And Tim Grewe, head of global electrification and battery systems at GM, told Green Car Reports in an interview published Wednesday that GM is laying the groundwork for batteries that will easily deliver 500-600 miles of range.

The upcoming Ultium battery, which was developed with South Korea's LG Chem and due to be sourced from a plant in Lordstown, Ohio, operated by Ultium Cells, a joint venture between GM and LG Chem, will be able to deliver up to 400 miles of range. The battery will first appear in the Cadillac Lyriq and GMC Hummer EV both due in 2021.

Ultium Cells will also supply batteries for two electric cars from Honda. The new Honda models are being developed in partnership with GM which is supplying its BEV3 modular EV platform. GM will also build the vehicles, while Honda will be responsible for the interior and exterior designs and driving characteristics.

To reduce the cost of batteries, Parks in his interview with Reuters said GM was developing battery cells with reduced cobalt and even some zero-cobalt designs. Cobalt is the most expensive material used in existing battery cells.

GM has said the Ultium battery will likely have cells priced below the $100 per kilowatt-hour mark, also due to a reduced reliance on cobalt. Driving the price down further means automakers will be able to build EVs at roughly the same price as internal-combustion models.

Reducing the price of batteries is key to GM's goal of delivering a million EVs per year by as early as 2025.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Not when idiots are bidding up Hertz. A company that already filed is now higher than when they announced bankruptcy. Robbinhood insanity.
Very good point. Until recently, I had been keeping most of my trading funds in cash, expecting another leg down or at least a retest of march lows. Turns out that was stupid. I didn't lose money, but my gains were limited.
The broad market is unhinged, but can remain irrational longer than we can remain solvent.
As for Tesla, I am drinking the kool aid, so far so good.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The energy required to move an automobile and the energy source itself a MILLION miles is only going to be available when we have cold fusion. Atomic energy is not enough.

Pilgrims... some rough arithmetic: Notice that the weight of the EXISTING battery is only 28% of the fargin car!

Now let's look at that fargin car: 4600 pounds. WAY over two fargin TONS.

The existing battery can move this thing a gee-whiz 390 wow gosh miles.

Remove (battery) and replace it with a MILLION-mile battery that actually does not weigh a fargin thing. Existing battery = 1323 pounds.

You now have a vehicle that will have to travel 2,546 TIMES FURTHER than existing technology capability.

Does that sound reasonable?

Me neither.

Do a basic energy requirement for moving several tons of metal a million fucking miles. Thermonuclear power needed.
It's not a battery that can drive a million miles on a single charge. It's a battery that can drive a million miles and still hold a charge at 90% or greater of it's original capacity. In other words, it's a battery that lasts about 6x the lifetime of the average ICE.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner

"Battery Day" won't come like the Spring Equinox. Battery Day will come, if it does, with hard-charging, hard-to-pay-for, RESEARCH.

Engineers don't work for Minimum Wage. Meantime, we've just exploded our government debt...sooner or later the dweebs in goobermint will realize they have to start servicing the interest on the debt, and just printing up the money for the costs, isn't going to work.

That will be the day of 90-percent income taxes.

Of 60-percent corporate-earnings taxes.

Of the day when all research, all administration, of all businesses, follows the manufacturing, to China. Or Vietnam. Some place where they don't really BELIEVE the Communist dreck they taught our kids, who now run the nation.

As has happened after other populist upheavals, most recently about 1970...corporate investment will come to a grinding halt, as the tax thieves force their New Normal on business, unconcerned about reaction and repercussion.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It's not a battery that can drive a million miles on a single charge. It's a battery that can drive a million miles and still hold a charge at 90% or greater of it's original capacity. In other words, it's a battery that lasts about 6x the lifetime of the average ICE.
Still not anywhere near possible with current tech. I think there was another thread where we explored some of these new membrane potential materials but they are just at the very beginning of development. Color me very skeptical. And it still doesn't solve many of the other problems created by the Lithium. Batteries have ALWAYS been the problem with electric cars. So if someone can solve the problems then we might be talking real competition to ICE.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Ok, this thing has gone full lunatic mode. I will be shorting it as soon as I see some chart weakness or exhaustion from the Robinhood buyers.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Ok, this thing has gone full lunatic mode. I will be shorting it as soon as I see some chart weakness or exhaustion from the Robinhood buyers.
what is a robin hood?

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Heading into overbought. A lot of sentiment is hanging on Battery Day, I guess there will be a trading range with a floor around $975...ceiling maybe $1300. Could be a big set up of buy the rumor sell the news. Could break either way, depend on if the news overwhelms or underwhelms, but I don't think you'll see a major down move until then. FYI, I am not adding to my position here.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.39.47 AM.png

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Do they even have a date set for this magical "Battery Day". I just about pulled the trigger today but we had the FED announcement coming.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
what is a robin hood?
A brokerage for the young Millennial who pretty much only use their phones. Basically E*trade for the next generation.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Do they even have a date set for this magical "Battery Day". I just about pulled the trigger today but we had the FED announcement coming.
Delayed (I think original date was mid-April) due to COVID shutdown. New date not yet announced. Soon.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I am legitimately interested in their new tech. I doubt it amounts to anything and will probably short before but I can always close it out if they actually have something decent.

How pissed is Nikola Tesla now that not one but two EV companies have stolen his name to get rich? They didn't even get his tech right, no need for a battery in his car.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I am legitimately interested in their new tech. I doubt it amounts to anything and will probably short before but I can always close it out if they actually have something decent.

How pissed is Nikola Tesla now that not one but two EV companies have stolen his name to get rich? They didn't even get his tech right, no need for a battery in his car.
Yeah, agree on the Tesla name. :(

As for the tech, they are talking a big game. Will they deliver?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tery-from-china-could-power-your-electric-car
Hyperdrive
A Million-Mile Battery From China Could Power Your Electric Car
Bloomberg News
June 7, 2020, 2:00 PM PDT
CATL ready to sell pack that lasts 16 years, chairman says
Milestone could bring EV ownership costs down, boost demand

TESLA INC
990.90USD+55.62+5.95%
VOW
VOLKSWAGEN AG
147.30EUR+1.10+0.75%
LG CHEM LTD
467,000.00KRW+39,000.00+9.11%
CONTEMPORARY A-A
159.35CNY+1.65+1.05%
3470094Z

The Chinese behemoth that makes electric-car batteries for Tesla Inc. and Volkswagen AG developed a power pack that lasts more than a million miles -- an industry landmark and a potential boon for automakers trying to sway drivers to their EV models.

Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. is ready to produce a battery that lasts 16 years and 2 million kilometers (1.24 million miles), Chairman Zeng Yuqun said in an interview at company headquarters in Ningde, southeastern China. Warranties on batteries currently used in electric cars cover about 150,000 miles or eight years, according to BloombergNEF.

Extending that lifespan is viewed as a key advance because the pack could be reused in a second vehicle. That would lower the expense of owning an electric vehicle, a positive for an industry that’s seeking to recover sales momentum lost to the coronavirus outbreak and the slumping oil prices that made gas guzzlers more competitive.

Million-Mile Electric-Car Battery Is Ready, Chinese Giant CATCL Says
Zeng YuqunPhotographer: Qilai Shen/Bloomberg
“If someone places an order, we are ready to produce,” said Zeng, 52, without disclosing if contracts for the long-distance product have been signed. It would cost about 10% more than the batteries now inside EVs, said Zeng, whose company is the world’s largest maker of the batteries.

More From
Hyperdrive
Ford May Scrap Edge SUV, Puts Canada Vehicle Plant at Risk
Is Tesla Bigger Than Toyota or Not? Well, It’s Complicated
Driverless Car Industry Gets a Nudge on Standards and Transparency
Tesla Registrations in China Rebound After Virus Pandemic Eases
READ MORE FROM HYPERDRIVE
Concerns about batteries losing strength and having to be replaced after a few years is one factor holding back consumer adoption of EVs. Tesla last year flagged it expected to bring into production a battery capable of a million miles of operation, and General Motors Co. last month said it is nearing the milestone. That distance is equivalent to circling the planet 50 times.

Anticipating a rapid return to growth for the EV industry, CATL is plowing research-and-development dollars into advances in battery technology. While the coronavirus outbreak will drag down sales throughout this year, EV demand will pick up in early 2021, said Zeng, who founded CATL a decade ago.

CATL batteriesPhotographer: Qilai Shen/Bloomberg
Car buyers holding back during the pandemic is creating pent-up demand that will be unleashed starting next year, led by premium models, he said. CATL’s customers include BMW AG and Toyota Motor Corp.

Zeng’s comments strengthen views that electric vehicles are set to weather the economic slowdown caused by the outbreak better than gas guzzlers. Battery-powered cars will swell to 8.1% of all sales next year in China, which accounts for the largest share of global EV sales, and to 5% in Europe, BNEF predicts.

“The pandemic may have a lasting effect throughout 2020, but won’t be a major factor next year,” Zeng said. “We have great confidence for the long run.”

Gassed
In a market broadsided by the pandemic, global sales of gas-powered cars and trucks may have already peaked.

Source: BloombergNEF
CATL struck a two-year contract in February to supply batteries to Tesla, a major boon for the Chinese company as the U.S. electric-car leader has thus far mainly worked with Japan’s Panasonic Corp. and South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd. The deal followed months of negotiations, with Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk traveling to Shanghai to meet with Zeng.

The CATL batteries are set to go into Model 3 sedans produced at Tesla’s massive new factory near Shanghai, which started deliveries around the beginning of this year. Batteries are the costliest part of an EV, meaning suppliers of those components have a chance to reap a lion’s share of the industry’s profits.

Bloomberg Opinion column on battery costs

Zeng said he often shares insights with Musk, with the two exchanging text messages about developments in technology and business. CATL is strengthening its relationship with Tesla, with matters such as cobalt-free batteries on their agenda, Zeng said.

“We’re getting along well and he’s a fun guy,” Zeng said of Musk. “He’s talking about cost all day long, and I’m making sure we have the solutions.”

Zeng said Musk also requested his help in obtaining ventilators for coronavirus patients. The U.S. billionaire delivered more than 1,000 of the breathing machines from China to officials in Los Angeles in March.

CATL's production facility in Ningde.Photographer: Qilai Shen/Bloomberg
Shares of CATL have advanced about six-fold in Shenzhen since its initial public offering in 2018, giving the company a market value of about $47 billion. Tesla, by far the most valuable EV maker, has a market capitalization of about $160 billion.

A “trigger point” for electric cars will occur once they overtake gasoline-powered vehicles around 2030-2035, Zeng said. That view is more ambitious than that of researchers such as BNEF, which expects the shift to take place a few years later.

CATL, which is adding a production facility in Germany, is set to make more than 70% of batteries required by BMW, an early customer, Zeng said. CATL also works with Volkswagen’s Audi unit and is cooperating with Porsche, he said.

Zeng didn’t rule out building a plant in the U.S., though he said the company has no specific plans for now.

“Our team has made achievements in competing with our global rivals in overseas markets,” Zeng said.

— With assistance by John Liu, Chunying Zhang, Martin Ritchie, and David Stringer
[/QUOTE]

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
how long have they been working on this battery?
a few years?

then how in the sam he77 do they KNOW these batteries will last

CATL ready to sell pack that lasts 16 years, chairman says
We Keep Getting Lied To...
it'll last for 16 years which is longer than they've been working on the technology...

wtf?

btw:
Musk also requested his help in obtaining ventilators
this is a lie also...Elon did not provide ventilators, he provided something else but they were not ventilators...this is a LIE

bloomberg is full of dung:
our leadership has failed 'us' and they deserve to eat this big pile of dung:

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Elon loves to talk a BIG game and then well see what kind of payola he can talk people into giving him. I mean what could go wrong with a "million mile" battery from China? :dduck:

The main point I take from that article, this doesn't really affect Tesla that much. They don't own or create this technology and any competitor could purchase the same batteries. So while it would help EV's I don't think its a huge Tesla win. They also offer ZERO info on this supposed advance.

Last edited:

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Elon loves to talk a BIG game and then well see what kind of payola he can talk people into giving him. I mean what could go wrong with a "million mile" battery from China? :dduck:
they'll probably fill half of it with melamine...

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
they'll probably fill half of it with melamine...
Well, if it bricks on you, at least you can feed the dead battery to your dog.