• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Texas school district revives paddling

Carrion Crow

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
I know discipline and authority respect (detentions don’t even phase the rouge student) is incredibly bad (my wife is a HS teacher in public school), but I’m not sure bringing back the paddle will make a difference (other than some instant satisfactional retribution for the teacher). There is just too many forces at work i.e. media and lackadaisical parents for a quick “whack†to turn a punk around. Plus, this type of thing is a lawyer’s dream.

TEMPLE, Texas (AP) — One central Texas school district has brought back the paddle as a way to restore respect and discipline in the classroom.

Although most U.S. school districts have banned corporeal punishment, Texas doesn't seem to believe in sparing the rod.

Nearly one-fourth of the estimated 225,000 students spanked in schools in 2006, the latest available figures, were from Texas.

But Temple is unusual in that after banning the practice, the school district revived it last May at the request of parents who were nostalgic for the orderly schools of yesteryear.

Temple's school board president Steve Wright says there weren't any consequences for kids without paddling.

The change in student behavior in Temple schools has been dramatic, parents say.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/91278624.html

I know discipline and authority respect (detentions don’t even phase the rouge student) is incredibly bad (my wife is a HS teacher in public school), but I’m not sure bringing back the paddle will make a difference (other than some instant satisfactional retribution for the teacher). There is just too many forces at work i.e. media and lackadaisical parents for a quick “whack” to turn a punk around. Plus, this type of thing is a lawyer’s dream.

TEMPLE, Texas (AP) — One central Texas school district has brought back the paddle as a way to restore respect and discipline in the classroom.

Although most U.S. school districts have banned corporeal punishment, Texas doesn't seem to believe in sparing the rod.

Nearly one-fourth of the estimated 225,000 students spanked in schools in 2006, the latest available figures, were from Texas.

But Temple is unusual in that after banning the practice, the school district revived it last May at the request of parents who were nostalgic for the orderly schools of yesteryear.

Temple's school board president Steve Wright says there weren't any consequences for kids without paddling.

The change in student behavior in Temple schools has been dramatic, parents say.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/91278624.html

It is a sign of the times and our changing culture.

When I went through the Texas school system we had respect for our teachers, some we may not have liked but we did have respect for them. And if we screwed up we were expected to take our "Licks" from the teacher or if it was a larger violation the school assistant
principle. And we the students thought nothing of it, We knew which teachers we needed to be careful around and which ones that would cut us slack.In our high school one lady English teacher who may have stood 5' tall and maybe 100 pounds was the most feared
for she swung a mighty paddle.

We knew when we screwed up and it was a mark of pride to take our licks, and accept responsibility for our actions.

Those were the days when if you really screwed up , dad would also have a non verbal talk to you when you got home. And also these were the days before they started to drug the boys with Ritalin for being boys. Now the system is such if a boy acts like one it is the time to bring out the drugs to try to get the boy out of the boy.

Our society has changed for the worse, for years and years corporeal punishment in the schools and at home was a accepted way to instill disciple and it worked. It got across the concept that if rules were broken those actions had to be payed for. And in the schools there was respect for the teachers. Now for the most part the students do not respect the teachers and chaos in the class room is a result,

Yes sometime it can be over done, and abuse can happen, but no more than any other system made by man. I am happy that when i went through school the teachers really taught the subjects , instead of teaching the test as they do now, and taking my licks for my screw ups was part of it, These feelings were also shared by the girls, it was all high drama that was part of going to school in those times.

I know some will disagree, but IMO schools were better when there was a system of corporeal punishment in place, compared to what the school systems are now.

IMHO

The paddle was never the problem. The rules regulating its use were... that and abuse by certain teachers with sadistic streaks.

I got three licks in 8th grade for something I didn't do. Kid sitting behind me was the culprit, but I was accused by the teacher (who was looking down or had his back turned at the time... can't remember exactly). It's not as though I were a repeat offender who was a likely suspect, either. I was a good kid. Never caused any problems in class. Nevertheless, all that was required was to bring in another teacher to witness the paddling. Protestations fell on deaf ears. No inquiry. No appeals. Wham, wham, wham. And this was right up in front of the class with the kid who set me up giggling away the whole time.

I have no problem with paddling in schools. However, given my own experience, I don't think you can allow individual teachers to unilaterally act as judge, jury and executioner.

Defenestrator

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have no problem with paddling in schools. However, given my own experience, I don't think you can allow individual teachers to unilaterally act as judge, jury and executioner.
I don't think it's quite like that. I think the Teacher sends the kid to the principal with a description of what they've done and then the Principal determines and administers the punishment.

I never got the board, but I used to get in trouble for standing silently during the "Pledge of Allegiance".