• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Art of making Colloidal Silver

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think your "doc" friend is buying the "company line". EIS/CS WORKS on bouts of food poisoning ( personal testament on that) . That happens in the stomach. Any time I feel "queezey" after eating I start a protocol of an ounce every hour until the feeling has stopped.
I do not have issues with the claim Good Bacteria in the gut being destroyed by EIS/CS. For me that is a non-issue.

Plus if "doc" want to maintain his belief there is the IV route for serious amounts of infusion, the Cool Mist Vaporizers, hand held mist inhalers ( target advertised them last year). For us laymen inhalation into the lungs is the best and most effective way to get EIS/CS into the body.

And I have mentioned this in several Alt. Med. threads . I use EIS in the water reservoir of my CPAP machine at night and that is a nightly use.

Medical and Pharma have their agendas just like every organization. Med. Schools no longer educate on Silver and Big Parma fears losing their "cash cows".

DYODD
He wasn't pro or con and stated that it is very effective when used topically. I don't think he's bought in to "Pharma" or anything...he's pretty conservative politically. Just stating what he knew or had been taught. As for your personal experiences, I'm sure they are real...I've taken CS as well and used it topically for several years. It's very effective in my opinion and experience.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
If you have come across this thread to learn how to make colloidal silver properly and have gone to this, which is presently the last post in the thread, I would like to suggest that you start from the very first post of the thread. The purpose of the thread was, and remains, an effort to provide accurate, honest, and non-commercial information to those interested in making the most effective form of colloidal silver.
The biggest problem with colloidal silver is its name. If we call something colloidal, it simply means that it is held in suspension. For example, milk is colloidal butterfat. As it is homogenized, the fat particles will tend to stay in suspension because the particles have been agitated to the point where they are small enough to not combine and rise to the top.
Now, what does this have to do with making colloidal silver? It's not hard to understand why we want the smallest possible particles of silver. Let's face it. We don't want any more metal of any kind in our body other than that what we need to stay well or help to heal a wound or infection. For a given total weight of metal, small particles will result in a much greater surface area than large particles. For silver to have any effect on the microbe, it has to come into contact with that microbe. For the sake of simplicity, let's consider our particles as spheres. If our particle is 100 nm in diameter, it will weigh the same as about 10,000 1 nm particles. What would have a better chance of getting to the bacteria we want to kill? 10,000 or one?
"Colloidal silver" is sold with ratings of parts per million "PPM." This is the ratio of the weight of the water versus the weight of the silver contained and suspended in the water. This measurement is made by the method of atomic absorption spectrophotometer. A sample is burned, and the light emitted includes spectral lines for silver, the amplitude of which gives an indication of the parts per million, by weight. There is nothing in this method to distinguish between ions, "charged" particles and uncharged.
It is straightforward for unscrupulous manufacturers of colloidal silver to make and advertise "colloidal silver" with strengths of 20, 30, 50, or 500 PPM. All they have to do is generate large particles and coat them with a substance lighter than water so that they will stay in suspension. These solutions will have a color as the larger particles will block out portions of the ambient light trying to shine through the water. The larger the particles, the more color will appear beginning with light yellow to dark yellow and so on. There is no real evidence to suggest that these solutions will do you harm except for leading to a condition called argyria. They should be avoided because they will be relatively much less effective than a solution of silver ions.
As you read through the thread, you will find numerous citations of serious, peer-reviewed studies illustrating the superiority of silver ions in killing bacteria to silver particles. The number of silver ions is measured in terms of the electrical conductivity. When this thread started, the only instruments with the ability to measure this were quite expensive. The price of these has come down to an amazing degree. An instrument capable of measuring ionic PPM within one or two ppm is now available on eBay for less than $10. If you're going to make colloidal silver "ionic" one of these should be the first thing that you purchase. The second thing is to make sure of is that you get genuine 9999 pure silver wire with a certificate of analysis from a reputable source. Other than that, all you need is a voltage source and a resistor to limit the current. A multimeter with the 2 V scale and an additional 1K resistor will allow you to measure your current in microamps. That is all you need to make perfect, clear colloidal silver. With a certain amount of experimentation, you will be able to make your own colloidal silver of a quality equal to all but a very few of the offerings of commercial manufacturers.

Last edited:

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Good video about super bugs. The video after about towels is an eye opener too.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Good video about super bugs. The video after about towels is an eye opener too.
I put EIS/CS in my wash. For sports gear, underwear, work socks, and clothes heavily sweated on they get an shot glass full as the water is running and before the detergent is added. Nylon type, sweat wicking, compression shirts and sports clothes get another shot of EIS/CS placed in the Fabric Softener cup since most of that clothing DOES NOT recommend fabric softener use.

I don't use as much on towels, wash clothes and linens, BUT I probably will up those to a shot glass too.

"An Ounce of Prevention...."

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Cytotoxic Potential of Silver Nanoparticles

Jason, of Silvermedicine.org, directed my attention to the following:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3936614/
He adds:
"The only way to make a high quality nano silver product is via the chemistry method. Of course, EIS produced with LVDC doesn't create a high enough concentration of silver nano particles to really be of concern.
At this point, it looks to me like silver ions are more effective with fungii and bacteria. Non-stabilized silver nanoparticles (like the small amount of particles produced when making EIS) appear to release silver ions into the environment under many conditions.You now have products out there with particulate nano silver in the hundreds of parts per million for sale. These are produced using the same chemistry method, only the method is employed during electrolysis, rather then afterwards.With a properly made product, I believe it is safe to experiment with products with a PPM range of up to 15 PPM. For those who feel the need to throw the kitchen sink at the dreaded "Whatever" mystery illnesses, one could experiment with higher PPM ionic silver solutions/EIS (now that AtlasNova has an effective established process) combined with the higher PPM silver nano particle colloids.
~Jason"
The study looks legitimate to me. It must make the pharmaceutical industry very happy. They may well have encouraged it, for all we know. It had to be funded, after all. Even so, it's real science, and we need to pay attention to it. You don't want something in your bloodstream that it attacks human cells. The study shows that the particles have to be above a certain size, far above the size of an ion, to exhibit this effect. With chemically produced colloidal silver cytotoxicity starts to become evident at 100 PPM, as seen in the microscopic pictures.
I can only hope that the poster on this thread who twice promoted this technique of what he feels is the only, "real colloidal silver," studies this work, (which is endorsed by his employer), and considers the possible consequences of his actions.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I have been a history buff from the time when I was just a little kid. The single most important factor in the Fortune of different human societies has been the occurrence of plagues. This is a well-done explanation of why the New World was so easily conquered by the old. Worth viewing.
https://shar.es/1VNowU

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
TRUE, But the New World gave the Old World nee the Entire World : SYPHILIS

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
TRUE, But the New World gave the Old World nee the Entire World : SYPHILIS
Yes GB, I guess those llamas are just plain irresistible.
https://qz.com/580139/thanks-columbus-the-true-story-of-how-syphilis-spread-to-europe/
These gentle animals were alleged to have difficulty in copulating. Men would assist them in the process, sometimes participating in bestiality, which has been depicted in the water jars (huacos) of the period. Among the Incas, the fear of infection resulting from bestiality was so strong that Peruvian monarchs inflicted harsh punishments upon those who practiced such bestial acts. There was a rule compelling men assisting the mounting to take their wives with them, and assigned the care of female llamas to women only. A man designated to assist the llamas in the mounting, (so-called the man who assist to whelp ), had to be married. In addition, in Peru, an ancient law existed which forbid unmarried men to keep female alpacas at home.The people who contracted huanthi (the local name for llama infection) through sexual relations with the llamas were considered a source of infection and sentenced to death. Despite such strict measures, llama bestiality frequently resulted in genital lesions on men. These were highly contagious.

Just one more example of the truism "you can't fix stupid."

PKovach

Can anyone give a convincing answer to one large conundrum about silver water that has bothered me for years?

If a solution is a good destroyer of bacteria, when taken orally why does it not destroy the "good" bacteria that our digestive systems rely on to work properly? Although we can survive without any gut flora, I'd have expected diarrhoea or some other symptom following the sudden death of most of them and that doesn't seem to happen.

Ok, I do not know if this has been answered yet or not do to the volume of posts I have yet to go through, but I will go ahead and reply to certian posts.
The good bacteria in the gut is anaerobic, which means it does not need oxygen to exist. Bad bacteria are aerobic and require oxygen to survive. Silver inhibits the ability of bad bacteria to utilize oxygen thus killing the bad bacteria. This is why there is no "resistance" capability of bad bacteria since they cannot sporadically become anaerobic. Further, silver is attracted to bad bacteria via its cell wall. Most often, the silver, if it does not outright kill the bacteria, binds to the DNA of the bacteria and prevents it from unwinding, thus preventing reproduction. ( I believe I saw an article from Abeland1 on this in relation to Antibacterial Activity and Mechanism of Action of the Silver Ion in Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. The silver causes an ABNC state. This is caused by the silver binding with the DNA strands preventing replication. The virus or bacteria continues its lifespan until it dies without ever reproducing.

PKovach

"This is caused by a bacteria, legionella. I don't know whether or not colloidal silver would kill this particular bacteria. If it proved to be effective it would be very simple to install a colloidal silver generator powered by a solar panel on every water tower."

Having given this a bit more thought, I have realized that my proposed solution to the problem may not be that easy. The water in the water towers is not distilled. Chlorides, Nitrate, Phosphates, Bicarbonate, Sulfate and Carbonate are present in municipal water as Anions (Negatively Charged Ions). These would naturally combine rapidly at the anode of our silver ion generator. Although it is unlikely that these compounds would be harmful, we cannot assume that they would have the effectiveness on microorganisms that we expect from our properly made colloidal silver.

It may not work to try to convert it to EIS, but why not do as they have done on the International Space Station and make all the water pass through a Silver filter? That would clean the water and naturally relaease silver into the water as well.

PKovach

Enough of this nonsense argument over colloidal versus ionic silver. What is an ion? An ion is a single atom of an element which is either missing (positive charge) or has an excess (negative charge) of one or more electrons. A single atom of a substance is still of that substance. Anyone who can argue against this is either trying hard to sell you something or sadly misinformed. A few minutes with Google will clear up the matter. Search "what is an atom? What is a particle? What is an element?" It is that simple.
Now that I've got that off my chest I would like to theorize a bit on how the colloidal silver ions that we make ourselves may act to our benefit. Please keep in mind that I am woefully inept in the area of biochemistry.
Metal atoms form positive ions, while non-metal atoms form negative ions. The strong electrostatic forces of attraction between oppositely charged ions are called ionic bonds.
Let's have a look at the anatomy of a bacteria:
http://www.microrao.com/micronotes/anatomy.pdf
Our silver will have to pierce the cell wall of the bacterium. The most important component of the cell wall of the most virulent bacteria such as is Escherichia coli, Streptococcus pyogenes, Salmonella and Streptococcus pneumoniae are composed of an endotoxin called lipopolysaccharide. These endotoxin molecules carry a negative charge.
http://www.jimmunol.org/content/161/10/5464.full.pdf
The positively charged single atoms of silver (ions) will eagerly bind with them, disabling their function. The destruction of these bacteria would explain the Herxheimer effect experienced to some degree by people using colloidal (ionic) silver for the first time who are infected by one of these organisms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipopolysaccharide
The preceding has been offered as an encouragement for discussion. I am eminently unqualified in the area of biochemistry. Feel free to comment, please. It's also always good to cite references.

This was going to be somthing I wanted to point out as well in the discussion about intestinal bacteria. As states, EIS will not harm good bacteria in the intestine. People often wrongly attribute the bad feeling they get after taking EIS as being the loss of good intestinal bacteria. This is not the case. The actual reason for the ill feeling is the Herxheimer effect as your body is trying to eliminate all the dead bacteria and viruses in your body killed off by the EIS.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Here are some reasons to consider making EIS at a strength of 50 PPM:

Influenza viruses are among the most unpredictable disease actors around. These constantly changing germs regularly humiliate anyone who is rash enough to forecast the potential severity of an upcoming flu season or how well — or poorly — the vaccine might work this year.
“I wouldn’t,” Dr. Kanta Subbarao, director of the World Health Organization’s influenza collaborating center in Australia, said with a laugh when asked what she would project the Northern Hemisphere might be facing, flu-wise, in the coming months. “I’ve been in this business too long to fall into the trap of trying to predict.”
That said, flu experts are a bit worried right now. There are some signals they think may foretell that we’re facing a nasty flu season. But they hand-to-heart don’t know whether the constellation of things that is worrying them will lead to clogged doctors offices
unnamed (1).jpg

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
QUOTE from KP..."...The actual reason for the ill feeling is the Herxheimer effect as your body is trying to eliminate all the dead bacteria and viruses in your body killed off by the EIS". Close Quote.

This very well could be what takes place to the body that is void of silver ( Mega Farming Mineral Leaching I believe is the culprit) and EIS/CS is re-introduced into the system.
Whether this theory is correct or not IDK.
I do recall the first time I took any Ag was in the form of Sovereign Silver, a claimed "silver hydrosol". As I had researched I only took one tablespoon of the product. Within in a hour I noticed I had a low grade headache that was eliminated with two aspirins.
I have not had any issues taking any amount of Sovereign Silver, Meso Silver, or any level of my DIY production since, including a shot glass full of 50ppm CSG-ULTRA.

Last edited:

PKovach

For the record, so other readers understand what we mean by the Herxheimer Reaction
http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/herxheimer.html

The Herxheimer Reaction - Feeling worse before feeling better

The Herxheimer Reaction is a short-term (from days to a few weeks) detoxification reaction in the body. As the body detoxifies, it is not uncommon to experience flu-like symptoms including headache, joint and muscle pain, body aches, sore throat, general malaise, sweating, chills, nausea or other symptoms.

This is a normal — and even healthy — reaction that indicates that parasites, fungus, viruses, bacteria or other pathogens are being effectively killed off. The biggest problem with the Herxheimer reaction is that people stop taking the supplement or medication that is causing the reaction, and thus discontinue the very treatment that is helping to make them better. Although the experience may not make you feel particularly good, the Herxheimer Reaction is actually a sign that healing is taking place.

What Is The Herxheimer Reaction?

The Herxheimer Reaction is an immune system reaction to the toxins (endotoxins) that are released when large amounts of pathogens are being killed off, and the body does not eliminate the toxins quickly enough. Simply stated, it is a reaction that occurs when the body is detoxifying and the released toxins either exacerbate the symptoms being treated or create their own symptoms. The important thing to note is that worsening symptoms do not indicate failure of the treatment in question; in fact, usually just the opposite.

A Rose By Any Other Name

Technically known as the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction, this syndrome goes by many names, including JHR, the Herxheimer Effect, the Herxheimer Response, a Herx Reaction, Herx or Herks. The most common terminology used is the Herxheimer Reaction. It is also often referred to as a healing crisis, a detox reaction, or die-off syndrome.

History

The phenomenon was first described by Adolf Jarisch (1860-1902) working in Vienna, Austria, and a few years later by Karl Herxheimer (1861-1942), working in Frankfort, Germany. Both doctors were dermatologists mainly treating syphilitic lesions of the skin. They noticed that in response to treatment, many patients developed not only fever, perspiration, night sweats, nausea and vomiting, but their skin lesions became larger and more inflamed before settling down and healing. Interestingly, they found that those who had the most extreme reactions healed the best and fastest. The patient might be ill for 2-3 days, but then their lesions resolved.

A Medical Example

The Herxheimer reaction is caused by the release of toxic chemicals (endotoxins) released from the cell walls of dying bacteria due to effective treatment. The Herxheimer Reaction is well recognized in medical circles and is certainly not confined to the world of natural medicine or supplements.

For example, a recent study report (Feb ’04) on the treatment of Sarcoidosis found that, “. . . without exception, the improving patients are reporting periodic aggravation of their symptoms as an apparent direct response to the antibiotics. In other words, these patients say that their treatment makes them feel much worse before they experience symptom-relief.” The abstract of the study goes on to say, “This phenomenon is known as the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (JHR) and is often referred to informally as Herx. JHR is believed to be caused when injured or dead bacteria release their endotoxins into blood and tissues faster than the body can comfortably handle it. . . . This provokes a sudden and exaggerated inflammatory response . . . . In Sarcoidosis patients, the Herxheimer reaction seems to be a valuable indication that an antibiotic is reaching its target.” In the conclusion, the author states: “In my work with Sarcoidosis patients, it is my experience that recovering MP patients understand and welcome the Herxheimer reactions even when they must endure temporary increased suffering. They accept it as the price that they must pay in order to get well and they even seem to find it gratifying to experience tangible evidence of bacterial elimination. “

Colloidal Silver & The Herxheimer Reaction

Herxheimer reactions in response to Colloidal Silver can occur as the body adjusts to the die-off process and responds to the increased load on the lymphatic system – particularly in cases of systemic and chronic conditions and/or severe infections.

The most common Herxheimer reactions for users of Colloidal Silver are:

• Headache
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Itch and rashes
  • Flushes
Usually, the reaction lasts a few days. In more severe cases, reactions can last a week or more.

In most cases, the reaction tends to be mild and barely noticeable, but there are exceptions, particularly in cases of severe infection. Certain conditions, such as Multiple Sclerosis, Lyme Disease and other spirochetical illnesses can engender noticeable Herx Reactions as the disease-causing pathogens are killed off. Users of Colloidal Silver who take the product for Hepatitis may also experience die-off symptoms, such as headache. Those inhaling silver to treat lung and sinus infection may also feel immediately worse for a few hours or a day before starting to feel relief.

Herx reactions vary widely, depending on many factors, including the general health of the individual, the condition being treated, the degree of toxicity that exists in the body, the frequency and dosage of Colloidal Silver taken, and the support the body is provided in eliminating the toxins as rapidly as possible. Method of use is also factor. For example, applications that allow concentrated dosages of Colloidal Silver to come in direct contact with the source of infection are more likely to result in a die-off reaction than oral use.

Although this article focuses on the Herxheimer reaction, please keep in mind that not all users of Colloidal Silver will experience a Herx reaction. However, it is important to be aware of the possibility and to understand that it is a symptom of healing, so that Colloidal Silver users do not become discouraged if symptoms temporarily worsen and/or discontinue use of the product.

Clarification

Colloidal Silver does not cause the Herxheimer reaction. Colloidal Silver is non-toxic, and a healthy individual will notice no reaction at all to Colloidal Silver. However, if there is infection in the body, a Herxheimer reaction may result as the infection is killed off. The severity of the Herx reaction is often an indicator of just how much toxicity there was in the body to begin with and is an indicator of the effectiveness of the treatment. It is actually a sign that the body is restoring itself to good health.

Time Frames

There is differing data on the timing of a Herxheimer reaction. Some data indicates that it usually occurs between four and 24 hours from the onset of treatment. Others note that between Day 3 and Day 5 of a treatment program is often when the reaction is most noticeable. What appears to be most accurate is that reaction times -- and indeed whether there will be any reaction at all -- are strictly dependent on the individual being treated. Duration of the reaction also varies widely, from an hour or a few hours to days or even a week.

What To Do In The Event of a Herxheimer Reaction

If the reaction is mild enough that it can be borne without grave discomfort, the best approach is to continue treatment and assist the body in eliminating the toxins as quickly and as thoroughly as possible by the methods below.

If the reaction is too severe, cutting back on the dosage or frequency of use can be very helpful in lessening symptoms but allowing the healing process to continue. Sometimes stopping for a day or so and then beginning again at a lesser dosage can allow for quick relief.

The best assistance for the body is drinking plenty of distilled water (a half gallon a day is recommended).

Other helpful suggestions include:

• Getting plenty of sunshine
  • Minimizing exercise for the detox period
  • Keeping the organs of elimination (the bowels, lungs, skin, kidneys, lymph) functioning properly
  • Keeping the diet relatively pure during the detox period so that the body is not loaded with additional chemicals and toxins to eliminate while it is already working hard.
Adding lemon to the water, taking cold press olive oil first thing in the morning, taking sea salt baths and/ or steam baths and saunas, plus liver and elimination system supports can also be helpful, though any herbal supplements should be kept to a minimum and should be very mild and gentle in nature.

Conclusion

The most important advice in relation to Colloidal Silver use and the Herxheimer reaction is to “bear with the process”. The reaction is usually over within a few days and is well worth the cleansing and healing results. Plus, it is a sure sign that the Colloidal Silver is doing its job and working to help restore your body to natural health!

Warning: Any serious symptoms such as cardiac irregularity; breathing difficulties; chest, lung or throat constriction; significant swelling; or other severe symptoms should be given immediate medical attention.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
This thread now has over 22,000 views. I hope that it has served to help clean up the abysmal swamp of conflicting methods of generating and evaluating the substance we call "colloidal silver." We have learned to differentiate between "ionic" (meaning single silver ions, positively charged) and "particulate" (meaning molecules containing any number of silver atoms, uncharged, up to the point of weighing too much to be kept in suspension in water).
Anyone who has had the energy and patience to read all the posts in this thread should now have the knowledge necessary to make their colloidal silver from scratch. They will not need to buy any particular thing from any particular person, whomsoever, including yours truly. You need some pure distilled water. Buy yourself a water tester, TDS or EC, and measure the conductivity to be sure it is pure. By the purest silver, you can possibly get. Trust no one. Demand a detailed certificate of analysis from a recognized testing authority, detailed in parts per billion, nothing less. Don't be in a hurry. Time is on your side in the case of making quality colloidal silver. This fact does not appeal to those that are making it to sell to you. For them, time is money. Don't think that you have to stand there and watch it. If you keep the current low enough, it will take a long time before your water will get a yellow tinge, indicating that you have begun to generate larger particles than what you really want. A good 650 nm laser pointer shown through the solution will give you a good idea of the amount of particles and their size that you're generating long before the particles are large enough to give the solution color. That and an EC meter is all you need. You will find, with practice, that you will be able to generate very effective colloidal silver of up to 20 ppm reliably. This is better than anything commonly available.
The preceding represented the state of the art of making colloidal silver when I started this thread. Some of the questions asked by readers of the thread started me wondering about the 20 to 25 PPM limit that we had reached the manual method. None of the automatic units claimed anything better and most claimed far less. In truth, the only automatic thing that these "automatic" units did was to shut off after a given amount of time or a given amount of conductivity of the water. The product they produced, in terms of ionic value, was never the same twice, as they readily admitted.
I imagined that I was operating my 1/2 gallon per day Atlasnova generator but somehow, had the ability, every 1 millionth of a second, to measure the voltage across the electrodes. I also had the ability, at one-microsecond intervals, to vary the resistance and to operate the toggle switch, opening the circuit, or reversing the polarity.
I designed and built a circuit using a microprocessor that enabled me to do this. I found that I was able to break the 25 PPM barrier that had long been established and accepted by the chemical fraternity worldwide for the solubility limit of silver. In April 2016 I announced this fact in post number 138. Having done this, I decided it was worthwhile to go ahead and turn this into a product that people can use to make truly advanced colloidal silver. It took a year to turn the prototype into a product that would reliably produce 50 ppm ionic colloidal silver. I would like to thank the forum members for inspiring me to do this. And special thanks to the brave souls who have bought the first of the CSG ultra's and contributed very constructive criticisms which I hope I have acted upon.

I am sunk in the abysmal swamp where there is no foothold; I have reached the watery depths; the flood overwhelms me. (Psalm 69:3)

Last edited:

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Here are some reasons to consider making EIS at a strength of 50 PPM:

Influenza viruses are among the most unpredictable disease actors around. These constantly changing germs regularly humiliate anyone who is rash enough to forecast the potential severity of an upcoming flu season or how well — or poorly — the vaccine might work this year.
“I wouldn’t,” Dr. Kanta Subbarao, director of the World Health Organization’s influenza collaborating center in Australia, said with a laugh when asked what she would project the Northern Hemisphere might be facing, flu-wise, in the coming months. “I’ve been in this business too long to fall into the trap of trying to predict.”
That said, flu experts are a bit worried right now. There are some signals they think may foretell that we’re facing a nasty flu season. But they hand-to-heart don’t know whether the constellation of things that is worrying them will lead to clogged doctors offices
View attachment 94745
I just read a report somewhere (can't remember where) that said this year's flu viruses are mutating too fast, and that the vaccine that was produced is going to be near worthless...

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Last month we had local health dept. announce they have confirmed the first cases of flu this season.

Processing and filling all my bottles with EIS / CS, got the cool mist running in the kids bed room at night.
" An Once of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure".

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Ions, not particles, make silver toxic to bacteria

Silver ions delivered by nanoparticles to bacteria promote lysis, the process by which cells break down and ultimately die, which makes silver nanoparticles a superior and widely used antibacterial agent. New research by Rice University found that silver ions, not the particles themselves, are toxic to bacteria. They also found that ligands in the vicinity of a bacteria can bind silver ions and prevent them from reaching their target. Credit: Zongming Xiu/Rice University.
Rice University researchers have settled a long-standing controversy over the mechanism by which silver nanoparticles, the most widely used nanomaterial in the world, kill bacteria.
Their work comes with a Nietzsche-esque warning: Use enough. If you don’t kill them, you make them stronger.
Scientists have long known that silver ions, which flow from nanoparticles when oxidized, are deadly to bacteria. Silver nanoparticles are used just about everywhere, including in cosmetics, socks, food containers, detergents, sprays and a wide range of other products to stop the spread of germs.
But scientists have also suspected silver nanoparticles themselves may be toxic to bacteria, particularly the smallest of them at about 3 nm. Not so, according to the Rice team that reported its results this month in the American Chemical Society journal Nano Letters.
In fact, when the possibility of ionization is taken away from silver, the nanoparticles are practically benign in the presence of microbes, said Pedro Alvarez, George R. Brown Professor and chair of Rice’s Civil and Environmental Engineering Department.
“You would be surprised how often people market things without a full mechanistic understanding of their function,” said Alvarez, who studies the fate of nanoparticles in the environment and their potential toxicity, particularly to humans. “The prefix ‘nano’ can be a double-edged sword. It can help you sell a product, and in other cases it might elicit concerns about potential unintended consequences.”
He said the straightforward answer to the decade-old question is that the insoluble silver nanoparticles do not kill cells by direct contact. But soluble ions, when activated via oxidation in the vicinity of bacteria, do the job nicely.
To figure that out, the researchers had to strip the particles of their powers. “Our original expectation was that the smaller a particle is, the greater the toxicity,” said Zongming Xiu, a Rice postdoctoral researcher and lead author of the paper. Xiu set out to test nanoparticles, both commercially available and custom-synthesized from 3 to 11 nm, to see whether there was a correlation between size and toxicity.
“We could not get consistent results,” he said. “It was very frustrating and really weird.”
Xiu decided to test nanoparticle toxicity in an anaerobic environment—that is, sealed inside a chamber with no exposure to oxygen—to control the silver ions’ release. He found that the filtered particles were a lot less toxic to microbes than silver ions.
Working with the lab of Rice chemist Vicki Colvin, the team then synthesized silver nanoparticles inside the anaerobic chamber to eliminate any chance of oxidation. “We found the particles, even up to a concentration of 195 parts per million, were still not toxic to bacteria,” Xiu said. “But for the ionic silver, a concentration of about 15 parts per billion would kill all the bacteria present. That told us the particle is 7,665 times less toxic than the silver ions, indicating a negligible toxicity.”
“The point of that experiment,” Alvarez said, “was to show that a lot of people were obtaining data that was confounded by a release of ions, which was occurring during exposure they perhaps weren’t aware of.”
Alvarez suggested the team’s anaerobic method may be used to test many other kinds of metallic nanoparticles for toxicity and could help fine-tune the antibacterial qualities of silver particles. In their tests, the Rice researchers also found evidence of hormesis; E. coli became stimulated by silver ions when they encountered doses too small to kill them.
“Ultimately, we want to control the rate of (ion) release to obtain the desired concentrations that just do the job,” Alvarez said. “You don’t want to overshoot and overload the environment with toxic ions while depleting silver, which is a noble metal, a valuable resource—and a somewhat expensive disinfectant. But you don’t want to undershoot, either.”
He said the finding should shift the debate over the size, shape and coating of silver nanoparticles. “Of course they matter,” Alvarez said, “but only indirectly, as far as these variables affect the dissolution rate of the ions. The key determinant of toxicity is the silver ions. So the focus should be on mass-transfer processes and controlled-release mechanisms.”
“These findings suggest that the antibacterial application of silver nanoparticles could be enhanced and environmental impacts could be mitigated by modulating the ion release rate, for example, through responsive polymer coatings,” Xiu said.
Co-authors of the paper are postdoctoral researcher Qingbo Zhang and graduate student Hema Puppala, both in the lab of Colvin, Rice’s Kenneth S. Pitzer-Schlumberger Professor of Chemistry, a professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering and vice provost for research.
The work was supported by a joint U.S.-U.K. research program administered by the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.K.’s Natural Environment Research Council.

Negligible Particle-Specific Antibacterial Activity of Silver Nanoparticles

Source: Rice University

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
But for the ionic silver, a concentration of about 15 parts per billion would kill all the bacteria present.
15 ppB??!! That says a normal solution of 15 ppM silver ions could be diluted by a factor of 1,000 and still be 100% effective!

the Rice researchers also found evidence of hormesis; E. coli became stimulated by silver ions when they encountered doses too small to kill them.
In the link, the researchers estimated the concentration that actually "stimulates" bad bacteria instead of killing them to be "12–31% of the minimum lethal concentration", so I assume they are talking about less than 5 ppB of silver ions. I cannot imagine that any of us working with CS would ever produce concentrations that low.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
There are approximately 160 ounces of blood in the human body. If we managed to take an ounce of let's say 10 ppm ionic and managed to absorb it sublingually, we can assume that maybe 20% of that (WAG) would find its way as silver ions into our bloodstream. This would relate to 10 ppb in relation to an experiment in a petri dish.
OR, am I missing something.?

Last edited:

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
unnamed.jpg

E. coli having a party
The growing threat of antibiotic resistance has sparked calls to use antibiotics more responsibly to curb the spread of drug-resistant bacteria. The idea: If we reduce antibiotic use, we could reduce the resistance that’s been naturally selected for over time.
But new research published Wednesday in Nature Communications finds that isn’t always the case.
Biomedical researcher Allison Lopatkin of Duke made the discovery.
"How did you study the spread of antibiotic resistance between bacteria?"
We looked at something called horizontal gene transfer, the primary way that new bacteria acquire antibiotic resistance genes. One of the main methods is gene transfer is called conjugation. It’s literally just two cells that knock into one another and one transfers the DNA. This DNA is often located these really transferable elements called plasmids. We looked at if we totally remove antibiotics, will the resistance gene on these plasmids disappear? If there’s an antibiotic present, the cell with the plasmid grows better because it can resist the antibiotic. But without antibiotics present, cells without plasmid often reproduce faster, because there’s less of a burden on them. Will bacteria take advantage of that fact?
What we saw is the plasmids are transferable through this process of conjugation and even though those cells are growing slower, the resistance doesn’t go anywhere. The plasmid can be transferred so fast that even for really, really costly plasmids, we can remove antibiotics entirely and the resistance will still exist. It’s continuously infecting new cells. That’s a really concerning conclusion.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Scarlet fever, a disease of yore, is making a comeback in parts of the world.

Strep_ScarletFever-1600x900.jpg

From Helen Branswell
Senior Writer, Global Health
CDC
Scarlet fever, a disease that struck fear into the heart of parents when cases surged in the days of yore, appears to be making an unexpected and puzzling comeback in parts of the world.
England and Wales have seen a substantial rise in scarlet fever cases starting in 2014. The number of cases tripled from 2013 and continued to increase in 2015 and 2016, with England and Wales last year recording the highest number of cases there in a half-century, British scientists reported Monday in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases.
Similar and in some cases even larger surges of scarlet fever have been reported in recent years in South Korea, Vietnam, China, and Hong Kong. Hong Kong, which saw a tenfold rise in cases, continues to report increased annual counts five years after the resurgence was first noticed.
The reason for the sudden and surprising increase is a mystery. And the authors of a commentary that accompanied the article urge other countries to be on the lookout for similar spikes in cases.
“Scarlet fever epidemics have yet to abate in the U.K. and northeast Asia. Thus, heightened global surveillance for the dissemination of scarlet fever is warranted,” wrote Mark Walker and Stephan Brouwer, of the University of Queensland in Australia.
Scarlet fever is not a reportable disease in the U.S., and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not track the condition. Scientists there are aware of the spike in cases in some jurisdictions, but a spokeswoman said officials have not heard of an increase in the United States.
Scarlet fever is one of a diverse array of conditions caused by infection with a bacterium called Streptococcus pyogenes, better known as group A Strep. The bug can cause strep throat and impetigo — crust-forming skin sores that are highly contagious. It can also cause pneumonia and necrotizing fasciitis — flesh-eating disease.
Sometimes known as scarlatina, the condition gets its name from the diffuse red rash that is characteristic of the infection; the rash generally fades after about a week. It is accompanied by a high fever and often by strep throat. Most commonly diagnosed in children, it spreads in the saliva droplets coughed and sneezed out by infected individuals.
In the 1800s and well into the 1900s, scarlet fever was commonplace. And even into the early years of the 20th century, deaths from the infection were common. Readers of the children’s novel “Little Women” will remember the tragic death of Beth March, who succumbed to scarlet fever — a fate she shared with author Louisa May Alcott’s real-life sister, Elizabeth.
Complications of the infection could be serious as well. Some children went on to develop rheumatic fever, a serious infection that causes heart damage. Other complications affect kidneys and joints.
Scarlet fever is now treated with antibiotics, though even before these drugs were widely available the death toll of the infection fell markedly. By the 1950s deaths from scarlet fever were rare and by the 1980s cases of the disease were as well.
But it never went away entirely. “It’s always been with us,” said Theresa Lamagni, an epidemiologist with Public Health England and first author of the paper. Lamagni noted that in 2013 scarlet fever cases in England and Wales were seen at a rate of about 8 per 100,000 children. That soared to 27 per 100,000 in 2014 and 33 per 100,000 in 2016.
The increase in cases has not led to fatalities, though about 3 percent of infected children have been admitted to hospitals. Most of the stays were short, and in some cases may have been a reflection of parental or physician concern in the face of a previously rare condition, Lamagni said.
In an effort to try to figure out what is causing the sudden rise in cases, she and her co-authors studied bacterial samples from 303 infected patients in 2014. Their theory was that a new and more efficient strain might explain the increase. But they found — as did scientists in South Korea and Hong Kong — that multiple strains had caused the infections.
“The strains didn’t give us the answer. We were really pinning our hopes on those, because that’s the most obvious answer,” she noted. “We’re left thinking what on earth it could be. We don’t have an answer at the moment.”
Even though scarlet fever does not have to be reported to the CDC, Lamagni said a surge in the United States would be hard to miss.
“If they were seeing what we’re seeing, they would know about it. It is unusual,” she said.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
It reads that sooner or later EIS/CS will have to enter the picture irregardless of what Greenies and Big Pharma want.

Those of us EIS/CS users are ahead of the game, and safer than the EIS/CS deniers / Argyria ( Blue Skin) believers.

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Leonard Sigal, MD, clinical professor and former chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Robert Wood Johnson UMDNJ Medical School, discusses different causes of persisting symptoms after Lyme disease infection.
“Some patients with Lyme disease who are treated will have ongoing symptoms that don’t resolve or resolve very slowly. And so, for the latter group, you just have to wait; it’s called tincture of time. Just wait, and as long as they’re not getting worse, as long as they’re not showing new symptoms, if things are beginning to quiet down, then you can say to yourself, ‘Okay, this is the course that Lyme disease sometimes follows; we just wait.
If a person, after having antibiotic therapy, develops new manifestations in what you think is Lyme disease, then you have to either assume that they have been re-infected, which is unlikely—not impossible—but unlikely, or what you gave them was insufficient. And then what you do is go back and retreat. Then, the question, of course, is, are you treating ongoing Lyme disease, Borrelia burgdorferi infection, or are you treating something else entirely? And that is up to the clinician to decide."
What caught my attention was his use of the term, the "tincture of time." I wonder if this is why highly ionic colloidal silver has proven effective for so many in the treatment of persistent infections such as Lyme disease. People who are trying to get rid of an infection with colloidal silver will keep taking it. In doing so, they allow the silver ions to continue to kill off the bacteria causing the infection whereas the typical course of antibiotics last only a few days.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
"...it's called the tincture of time". PLUS using EIS/CS = Expeditious Recovery according to anecdotal evidence supplied by writers affected and recovered from the symptoms.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
hyperlenscry.jpg

We know that silver ions work to disable undesirable microbes. We just don't know how. Electron microscopes cannot show us anything while it is still alive. Here is a new tool that could help us.
New hyperlenses are giving scientists the ability to capture images of living cells in great detail.
A team from Vanderbilt University has created a new hyperlens that can resolve objects much smaller than the wavelength of light using hexagonal boron nitride (hBN)—a natural crystal with hyperlensing properties.
Previously, the best resolution using hBN was an object about 36 times smaller than the infrared wavelength used—the size of the smallest bacteria. Improvements in the quality of the crystal has enhanced the potential imaging capability by about a factor of ten.
The researchers enhanced the hBN crystals by using isotopically purified boron. Natural boron contains two isotopes that differ in weight by about 10 percent, a combination that significantly degrades the crystal’s optical properties in the infrared.
The researchers believe that a lens made from the purified crystal can, in principle, capture images of objects as small as 30 nanometers in size.
“We have demonstrated that the inherent efficiency limitations of hyperlenses can be overcome through isotopic engineering,” Alexander Giles, a research physicists at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, said in a statement. “Controlling and manipulating light at nanoscale dimensions is notoriously difficult and inefficient.
“Our work provides a new path forward for the next generation of materials and devices.”
The level of detail that optical microscopes can image is limited by the wavelength of light and the index of refraction of the lens material.
At infrared wavelengths the diffraction limit is about 3,250 nanometers, which can be surpassed by using hBN due to its ability to support surface phonon polaritons, hybrid particles made up of photons of light coupling with vibrating, charged atoms in a crystal that have wavelengths much shorter than the incident light.
While scientists have developed several instruments capable of producing images with nanoscale resolution, they are incompatible with living organisms.
This is because they either operate under a high vacuum, expose samples to harmful levels of radiation, require lethal sample preparation techniques like freeze-drying or remove samples from their natural, solution-based environment.
However, hyperlens can provide highly detailed images of living cells in their natural environments using low-energy light that does not cause harm. Using infrared light to perform the imaging also provides spectroscopic information about the objects it images.
The new technology could have a range of applications for biological and medical science, as well as in communications and for nanoscale optical components.
Researchers from the University of California, Sand Diego, Kansas State University, Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Columbia University also contributed to the study.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
We know that silver ions work to disable undesirable microbes. We just don't know how...
The same can be said about aspirin ( ASA). It not only relieves pain but reduces inflammation, thins plaque in the blood stream. While Big Pharma can mimic aspirin effects they can not do it all in one medication without being extremely dangerous and under constant medical supervision.

Years ago an ER doctor told me "If aspirin was discovered today it would be a prescription medicine". Fortunately aspirin was NOT developed in the USA and the FDA was not even thought of as a faux .gov agency at the time.

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
rd1604_water_ions.jpg

A Single Ion Impacts a Million Water Molecules
by Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
Water is simple and complex at the same time. A single water molecule (H20) is made up of only 3 atoms. Yet the collective behavior of water molecules is unique and continues to amaze us. Water molecules are linked together by hydrogen bonds that break and form several thousands of billions of times per second. These bonds provide water with unique and unusual properties.
A single ion has an influence on millions of water molecules, i.e. 10,000 times more than previously thought. Source: LPB/EPFL
Water is simple and complex at the same time. A single water molecule (H20) is made up of only 3 atoms. Yet the collective behavior of water molecules is unique and continues to amaze us. Water molecules are linked together by hydrogen bonds that break and form several thousands of billions of times per second. These bonds provide water with unique and unusual properties. Living organisms contain around 60 percent water and salt. Deciphering the interactions among water, salt and ions is thus fundamentally important for understanding life.
Researchers at EPFL's Laboratory for fundamental BioPhotonics, led by Sylvie Roke, have probed the influence of ions on the structure of water with unprecedentedly sensitive measurements. According to their multi-scale analyses, a single ion has an influence on millions of water molecules, i.e. 10,000 times more than previously thought. In an article appearing in Science Advances, they explain how a single ion can "twist" the bonds of several million water molecules over a distance exceeding 20 nanometers causing the liquid to become "stiffer". "Until now it was not possible to see beyond a hundred molecules. Our measurements show that water is much more sensitive to ions than we thought," said Roke, who was also surprised by this result.
Water molecules are made up of one negatively charged oxygen atom and two positively charged hydrogen atoms. The Mickey Mouse-shaped molecule therefore does not have the same charge at its center as at its extremities. When an ion, which is an electrically charged atom, comes into contact with water, the network of hydrogen bonds is perturbed. The perturbation spreads over millions of surrounding molecules, causing water molecules to align preferentially in a specific direction. This can be thought of as water molecules "stiffening their network" between the various ions.
Water's behavior was tested with three different approaches: ultrafast optical measurements, which revealed the arrangement of molecules on the nanometric scale; a computer simulation on the atomic scale; and measurement of the water's surface structure and tension, which was done at the macroscopic level. "For the last method, we simply dipped a thin metal plate into the water and pulled gently using a tensiometer to determine the water's resistance," said Roke. "We observed that the presence of a few ions makes it easier to pull the plate out, that is, ions reduce the surface resistance of water. This strange effect had already been observed in 1941, but it remained unexplained until now. Through our multiscale analysis we were able to link it to ion-induced stiffening of the bulk hydrogen bond network: a stiffer bulk results in a comparatively more flexible surface."
The researchers carried out the same experiment with 21 different salts: they all affected water in the same way. Then they studied the effect of ions on heavy water, whose hydrogen atoms are heavy isotopes (with an additional neutron in the nucleus). This liquid is almost indistinguishable from normal water. But here the properties are very different. To perturb the heavy water in the same way, it required a concentration of ions six times higher. Further evidence of the uniqueness of water.
No link with water memory.
Roke and her team are aware that it might be tempting to link these stunning results to all sorts of controversial beliefs about water. They are however careful to distance themselves from any far-fetched interpretation. "Our research has nothing to do with water memory or homeopathy," she said. "We collect scientific data, which are all verifiable. «To prove the role of water in homeopathy, another million-billion-billion water molecules would have to be affected to even come close, and even then we are not certain.
The new discovery about the behavior of water will be useful in fundamental research, and in other areas too. The interaction between water and ions is omnipresent in biological processes related to enzymes, ion channels and protein folding. Every new piece of knowledge gives greater insight into how life works.

Last edited:

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
anitbodicresmew.jpg

According to a survey among researchers, it is difficult to quantify the true extent of the hazards of antibiotic resistances to humankind. The survey conducted by Freie Universität Berlin and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) will be introduced on the occasion of the international World Antibiotic Awareness Week on Sunday, November 19. It reveals that among researchers worldwide, there is broad agreement on the fact that antibiotic resistances are serious health hazards. The number of related deaths, however, cannot be determined reliably.
The British O'Neill Commission expects ten million deaths each year from 2050 onwards. Only a minority of the experts interviewed believe such spectacular estimates to be reliable. For his survey, Markus Lehmkuhl, Professor for Science Communication in Digital Media at KIT and Freie Universität Berlin, conducted online interviews with 375 researchers worldwide. The survey focused on researchers who, in the past three years, have published relevant studies in international journals. The World Antibiotic Awareness Week is called in by international organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) to raise the public awareness of antibiotic resistance. "The uncertainty about the number of deaths is due to a broad disagreement among researchers as to whether the number of deaths can be determined by means of the available scientific methods," Lehmkuhl says. One third of the interviewees believe the reliability of the respective methods to be low or very low, another third think that it is high or very high, and the remaining third do not want to commit themselves.
The researchers interviewed agree that countermeasures are required urgently. Almost all survey participants (98.4 percent) fear serious or very serious consequences if nothing is done against the propagation of resistant pathogens. From the point of view of the experts, the two most effective measures would be to reduce use of antibiotics in medicine and to improve hygiene in hospitals. It is important, moreover, to reduce use of antibiotics in livestock farming and to develop vaccines, alternative therapies and, eventually, new agents against resistant bacteria.
In view of the above challenges, the survey participants do not deem antibiotic resistance to be inadequately addressed in the public sphere: "Almost two thirds believe that dramatic wording e.g., talking about a "global disaster" or the "onset of a post-antibiotic age", are more or less justified," Lehmkuhl explains and summarizes: "Although everybody is convinced that antibiotic resistances are extremely dangerous, methodological problems make it very difficult to provide reliable figures. To draw attention to this important area of action nevertheless, most of the experts interviewed think it justified to use an alarming vocabulary to make the media react." This, however, bears the risk of attempts to outdo each other. "The voice of those reporting the highest numbers of deaths and drawing up the darkest scenarios will finally be heard."
The survey is part of the joint research project "Rationaler Antibiotikaeinsatz durch Information und Kommunikation - RAI (rational use of antibiotics through information and communication), which is being coordinated by Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin and is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. The relevant interdisciplinary research is dedicated to the issues of using antibiotics and developing resistances. The subproject conducted by Professor Lehmkuhl, moreover, aims to create a survey tool by means of which a maximum number of experts can be interviewed on one subject e.g., by journalists. "Meanwhile, our knowledge level is too high and too sophisticated to be represented by individual researchers," Lehmkuhl says. He fancies to follow the example of climate research and tap the expertise of the global scientific community. The 375 experts interviewed on the subject of antibiotics represent about 2500 researchers worldwide who, in the past three years, have published relevant studies on antibiotic resistance in international journals. This is 15 percent of all researchers working in that area. To be able to conduct such surveys also on other topics, the KIT, in the joint research project RAI, cooperates with the Science Media Center in Cologne. It is planned to establish a method by means of which all experts from specific subject areas can contribute selectively to public discourse e.g., via a web portal that can be used by journalists to interview the members of the global community of experts.
Being „The Research University in the Helmholtz Association", KIT creates and imparts knowledge for the society and the environment. It is the objective to make significant contributions to the global challenges in the fields of energy, mobility and information. For this, about 9,300 employees cooperate in a broad range of disciplines in natural sciences, engineering sciences, economics, and the humanities and social sciences. KIT prepares its 26,000 students for responsible tasks in society, industry, and science by offering research-based study programs. Innovation efforts at KIT build a bridge between important scientific findings and their application for the benefit of society, economic prosperity, and the preservation of our natural basis of life.

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

abeland1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
CDC Alert Warns of Increasing Flu Activity, Advises Health Providers
JANUARY 02, 2018
Jennifer Barrett, Assistant Editor
PTOctober2017TNNIAIDinfluenza.jpg

US influenza activity has significantly increased over recent weeks, and health care providers should be vigilant about diagnosing and treating patients with the virus, according to a CDC Health Advisory issued recently.
According to the advisory, influenza A(H3N2) viruses have thus far predominated this season. Last year, vaccine effectiveness (VE) against circulating influenza A(H3N2) viruses was estimated to be 32% in the United States, and CDC officials expect that VE could be similar this season.
In a recent surveillance report on the influenza period from October 1, 2017 to November 25, 2017, data indicated that influenza activity was beginning to increase in November, and several influenza activity indicators were higher than is typically seen for that time of year.
As part of the advisory, CDC officials reminded health care professionals that influenza should be high on their list of possible diagnoses for ill patients, and all hospitalized and high-risk patients with suspected influenza should be treated as soon as possible with a neuraminidase inhibitor (NAI) antiviral. Although NAI antiviral medications are most effective in treating influenza when started early, previous evidence has suggested that the medications are underused in outpatient and hospitalized patients.
The alert included several recommendations made by the CDC:
Antiviral medications for influenza treatment are an important adjunct to annual vaccination. The CDC recommends treatment with NAI to reduce illness and complications of influenza.
All hospitalized, severely ill, and high-risk patients with suspected or confirmed influenza should be treated with antivirals.
Antiviral treatment should be initiated as soon as possible after illness onset and should not be delayed even for a few hours to wait for results of testing. CDC officials recommend treatment to be started within 48 hours of symptom onset, although antiviral treatment started later than 48 hours can still be beneficial for some patients.
The CDC offers a guide to assist providers about influenza testing decisions. Molecular assays are recommended for testing in hospitalized patients with suspected influenza.
NAI treatment may be prescribed for any previously healthy outpatient with suspected or confirmed influenza who presents within 2 days after illness onset.
Three prescription NAI medications are approved by the FDA and recommended for use during the 2017-2018 season: Oral oseltamivir, inhaled zanamivir, and intravenous peramivir. Additionally, adamantanes (rimantadine and amantadine) are not currently recommended for antiviral treatment or chemoprophylaxis of influenza A due to high levels of resistance among circulating influenza A viruses, according to the CDC.
The advisory also noted that early diagnosis of influenza can reduce the inappropriate use of antibiotics if bacterial coinfection is not suspected. Since bacterial infections can cause flu-like symptoms, they should be considered and appropriately treated if suspected.
With influenza cases on the rise, pharmacists can play a role in educating patients about prevention strategies and appropriate treatment.
Reference
Seasonal Influenza A(H3N2) Activity and Antiviral Treatment of Patients with Influenza [Health Advisory]. CDC’s website. https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00409.asp. Accessed January 2, 2018.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Another market made by Big Pharma in cooperation with .govs worldwide. :finger:

Me, I'll stick with what GOD gave us pure Silver , de-energized Lightening, and water - man has distilled to his best abilities. :2 thumbs up:

"Hey bartender give a shot of EIS with a splash of CS." :finished 2:

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It could be a good plan to soak & rinse all food (even the stuff that will be cooked) in CS to eliminate surface bacteria.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************
Woman Dies After Eating Raw Oysters: What Are Vibrio Bacteria?

A Texas woman developed a fatal infection with flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters, according to news reports.

The woman, Jeanette LeBlanc, went crabbing with her friends and family on the coast of Louisiana in September, according to CBS News. During the trip, LeBlanc and her friend Karen Bowers shucked and ate about two dozen raw oysters, Bowers told CBS.

But shortly afterward, LeBlanc experienced breathing problems and had a rash on her legs, which looked like an allergic reaction, Bowers said.

But LeBlanc's condition continued to worsen, and doctors said she was infected with a type of "flesh-eating" bacteria called Vibrio.

The Vibrio bacteria naturally live in coastal waters and are particularly abundant between May and October, when the water is warmer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

People can become infected with Vibrio by eating raw or undercooked shellfish, which include oysters, the CDC said. People can also become infected if they have open wounds on their skin that are exposed to brackish or salt water.

Vibrio bacteria cause about 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths each year in the United States, according to the CDC. Most people who contract Vibrio from raw oysters experience only diarrhea and vomiting, and those with these milder cases typically recover in about three days, according to the CDC. But in some people, more serious illness can occur, resulting in bloodstream infections and severe blistering skin lesions, the CDC says. About 1 in 4 people with these serious infections dies from the illness.

LeBlanc was exposed to both raw oysters and brackish water. (Whether it was raw oysters or brackish water that led to LeBlanc's infection has not been reported.)

She battled the illness for 21 days but was not able to recover. She died on Oct. 15, 2017, CBS said.

Now, LeBlanc's partner, Vicki Bergquist, and Bowers want to raise awareness about Vibrio infections.

"If we had known that the risk was so high, I think she would've stopped eating oysters," Bergquist said.
https://www.livescience.com/61369-raw-oysters-vibrio-bacteria-infections.html
*********************************************************************************************************************************************
She might have also stopped wading in funky water.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Take ONE off the LGBT mailing list.