• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Asteroid Belt

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
SpaceCom

Asteroids are small, metallic or rocky in composition, and have no atmosphere. Most asteroids orbit the sun within a broad belt located between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter: the asteroid belt. Millions of asteroids are under 0.6 mile (1 kilometer) in diameter, but there are many that are larger. The biggest, Ceres, is 590 miles (950 kilometers) in diameter.

The first asteroid was discovered in 1801. There are three main classifications. The very dark C-type (carbonaceous) asteroids account for 75 percent of those catalogued. The next largest group is the S-type (silicaceous, or stony) asteroids, making up 17 percent of the total. M-type (metallic) are bright and composed mostly of iron.

The asteroids are believed to be mostly material left over from the formation of the solar system. Jupiter’s gravitational influence prevented the material from forming a planet.

The Asteroid Belt.jpg
Just a FYI in case you've ever wondered.
BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
I'm still trying to understand how the equilibrium exists between the vacuum of space and the non-vacuum of our planet.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm still trying to understand how the equilibrium exists between the vacuum of space and the non-vacuum of our planet.
You have to believe in gravity for me to be able to explain it.

BF