• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Best Private Search Engines?—?Alternatives to Google

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Grabbed one I liked, StartPage. A lot like Google but without the tracking (supposedly) Duckduckgo didn't blow my skirt up. I just didn't like the look and feel. I also didn't get a warm and fuzzy when I saw who the CEO is.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I run two browsers to limit tracking as well. It's almost certainly a waste of time but I do it anyway. Firefox is locked down pretty tight while Chrome is open to more or less forage. I use Chrome when I don't want objects blocked.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Grabbed one I liked, StartPage. A lot like Google but without the tracking (supposedly) Duckduckgo didn't blow my skirt up. I just didn't like the look and feel. I also didn't get a warm and fuzzy when I saw who the CEO is.
I, too, didn't care much for DuckDuckGo. However, I do like StartPage. As for the others in the article, I didn't even know they existed as I had never heard of them prior to reading the article.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I used Startpage (Ixqwik) for a while but that was quite a while ago. It's still on my search engine list. When I used it the results were quite limited and tended to heavily favor European sources.

I use Duck Duck Go most often and it was initially heavily oriented to British sources at it's outset but has since expanded into North American and global sources. I even use it on my phone.

The early days of Google were marvelous and fun. Unfortunately it went full-on stupid. Today Google pollutes everything it touches. The college where I still work occasionally dumped their private email system in favor of gmail so I have a gmail account which I use for absolutely NO communication but still have to stop by every couple months to clean out college emails before I hear from IT. One benefit of being in the college system I have access to medical and science journals at no cost which has been helpful a few times.

If any are using Firefox or any of it's derivatives like IceWeasel, you REALLY need T.A.C.O. (Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-out). By law the bastages that make and plant tracker cookies on your browser MUST provide a way for the consumer to opt out of their "services". This can be done but it is difficult to find where you can opt out at. T.A.C.O. knows where the opt out forms and how to use them. You give T.A.C.O. the permission and it accesses your IP address and opts you out of ALL of them. No more tracking cookies for YOU! The company that makes T.A.C.O. also provides other privacy utilities worth having.

Then there's AdBlock+. I can't say enough good stuff about this one. Watch a video at the Google owned Youtube and it will run 200+ ads an hour on your computer...if you let it. With AdBlock+ I see NO ads at youtube...or anywhere else for that matter. For sites that I wish to support with ad revenues I can white-list that site and see minimal ads. I've used this for years with great success because I can surf the web and NOT be slowed down by all the ad BS.

I used StartPage for years, but somewhere along the way I changed and started using DuckDuckGo. Maybe I changed because the Tor Browser default search engine changed from StartPage to DuckDuckGo, but I dimly remember it had to do something with StartPage settings and that I needed to save my chosen settings every time I opened the browser and used the search engine. The only way around it was to generate a URL that is unique to me. No thanks.

I use Firefox and have tried many of the available add-ons. The three I use daily are Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere, and NoScript. Sometimes I need to disable NoScript, but in general these three seem to allow webpages to mostly function. I have eight other Add-on extensions installed, which I test out occasionally, but they are all currently disabled.

I never see any advertisements so Ghostery does a good job. Speaking of Ghostery there are three social media trackers here on the GIM webpage(s) that it blocks when set to globally block all trackers.

The additional thing I do is to press “Ctrl, Shift, Delete” and clear all history before exiting Firefox, and then run CCleaner.

Interestingly, after doing/using all the above, even though I don’t use the Google search engine somehow Google uses tracking to try and pinpoint my location, LOL. For example, I usually use Bing maps, but occasionally I want to use Google Maps for the street view and when I do it always opens the map centered on a community 15 miles from me. Why? because I always use that communities zip code when I want a weather update/forecast at the weather site I go to. Bing maps always centers on my internet providers distribution hub location.

Last edited: