• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

The Combat Sports Thread

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Nick Diaz training with Tyson Fury!

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
A filthy casual's guide to Tony Ferguson

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Nick Diaz training with Tyson Fury!

I always liked the Diaz Bro’s bringing boxing to the UFC.

The first to essentially demonstrate that twice the punches at half the power is an effective way to set up the knock out. Sometimes just a little more than a touch but with those tiny gloves they’d start the bleeding and swelling

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I always liked the Diaz Bro’s bringing boxing to the UFC.

The first to essentially demonstrate that twice the punches at half the power is an effective way to set up the knock out. Sometimes just a little more than a touch but with those tiny gloves they’d start the bleeding and swelling
Many of Nicks fights are among my favorites. Gomi, Daley, Cyborg, Marius(sp?) Lawler, Etc. I love in the commentary of one fight, Frank Shamrock (who lost to Nick)was talking about how the shots from Nick dont hurt, the just scramble your brain. It was funny as they Mauro asked his shit talking in the cage too.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Many of Nicks fights are among my favorites. Gomi, Daley, Cyborg, Marius(sp?) Lawler, Etc. I love in the commentary of one fight, Frank Shamrock (who lost to Nick)was talking about how the shots from Nick dont hurt, the just scramble your brain. It was funny as they Mauro asked his shit talking in the cage too.

Lawyler falls forward

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
This tangent sent me on a YouTube hunt. I had forget about how well he boxed against Bj penn

Fight starts 1/3 way in

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Thanks Ensoniq!

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
OMG what a night of fights! Got my heart pounding for sure.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Delayed knock out. Never saw this from a head punch. Sometimes that liver shot takes a second or two before the full effect kicks in

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Delayed knock out. Never saw this from a head punch. Sometimes that liver shot takes a second or two before the full effect kicks in

What a tough bastard that guy is though eh'? Dude was just eating up those leg kicks and head shots.and it appeared like he literally willed himself to override the automatic shutoff switch but the brain was like 'na bro.we're done"

Last night I watched a video of several crazy finishes in organizations around the world and boy are they some doozies! Stuff you'll probably never see again like the dude above. I'll try to remember to grab it and post it, ya'll oughta like it

Been watching post fight interviews with Dariush(sp?) and am very impressed with his self-awareness and gentlemanly presence. IMO There are actually many absolute savage killers in the cage/ring that are the sweetest, most gentle soul's in day to day life. Love the contrast.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Since snapping his leg in half, Weidman has started a channel documenting his recovery. Pretty fascinating overall.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here's the crazy ko vid.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Fighter Lands Crazy Rare Scorpion Crunch Submission - Indie MMA Highlights - Caposa's Corner​

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Colby's nicknames :D

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
They put 262 on ESPN plus yesterday so I finally saw Oliveira vs Chandler. I’ve been avoiding the news, didn’t want spoiler and luckily made it to the broadcast.

Very interesting first round, Oliveira kicked him so hard on the lower calf Chandler lost his feet on the first strike. Five kicks later, which was probably 2-3 good kicks from a finish, Chandler adapted, which was impressive. Chandler is a beast and was hurting Oliveira with hooks. Oliveira was cut, ground and pounded and deserves full credit for gutting his way through the first round. I thought he was burnt toast at the end of 1.

Round two starts with Oliveira upright and pressing forward aggressively. I couldn’t believe the extent of his recovery after the brutal first round, and better yet in combo form. Then the left hook at the end of a combo, completely unseen, and Chandler is rocked. A few more left hooks before and after grounded and Chandler was saved by the ref.

Celebration was a bit too much. I understand he was happy and had won the title but Dancing in the stands with fans and ducking the ushers trying to get him back into the ring for the announcement is a bit cringy. The opponent is still not recovered and his pride makes him want to at least stand for the belting and you’re delaying everything. Better to celebrate after the interview when you’re opponent is back in the dressing room.

Last edited:

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
They put 262 on ESPN plus yesterday so I finally saw Oliveira vs Chandler. I’ve been avoiding the news, didn’t want spoiler and luckily made it to the broadcast.

Very interesting first round, Oliveira kicked him so hard on the lower calf Chandler lost his feet on the first strike. Five kicks later, which was probably 2-3 good kicks from a finish, Chandler adapted, which was impressive. Chandler is a beast and was hurting Oliveira with hooks. Oliveira was cut, ground and pounded and deserves full credit for gutting his way through the first round. I thought he was burnt toast at the end of 1.

Round two starts with Oliveira upright and pressing forward aggressively. I couldn’t believe the extent of his recovery after the brutal first round, and better yet in combo form. Then the left hook at the end of a combo, completely unseen, and Chandler is rocked. A few more left hooks before and after grounded and Chandler was saved by the ref.

Celebration was a bit too much. I understand he was happy and had won the title but Dancing in the stands with fans and ducking the ushers trying to get him back into the ring for the announcement is a bit cringy. The opponent is still not recovered and his pride makes him want to at least stand for the belting and you’re delaying everything. Better to celebrate after the interview when you’re opponent is back in the dressing room.
Yeah, I cringed too. But we can only imagine the unbelievably long, painful, extremely arduous journey, taken to reach that lifelong goal so I generally give fighters a pass. Especially considering the surge of adrenaline after a win.

Here's probably my favorite cringe victory celebration :D

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Drunk Guy Tries Fighting BJJ Phenom Ryan Hall​

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

10 Minutes Of Floyd Mayweather Perfecting The Sweet Science​

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
After being dominated the entire fight up until the last minute of the fifth round, the Stockton slap set up what was so close to being one of the most epic come from behind victories.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
#Strongman #GiantsLive #WorldsStrongestMan

STRONGMEN vs RUGBY! London Irish take on THE GIANTS!​

Save

Official Strongman

680K subscribers

SUBSCRIBED
Premiered 19 hours ago
The answer to the question on EVERYBODYS lips- Who will win in a test of STRENGTH, SKILL, AGILITY and ACCURACY? London Irish RFC take on Giants Live in 4 EPIC challenges built to test them to the limit! This is PUNT vs GRUNT! Strongman legends Terry Hollands, Mark Felix, Adam Bishop and Laurence Shahlaei take on Rory Brand, Topsy Ojo, Waisake Naholo and Adam Coleman- 4 Rugby aces from London Irish RFC in the POWERDAY Punt vs Grunt challenge! #Strongman #GiantsLive #WorldsStrongestMan Learn about: World's Strongest Man' Arena Tour at: www.Giants-Live.com

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Lol

The exact moment you realize grappling is not for you.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm just so impressed with this guys keen fight analysis.

Here's one from tonight UFC Vegas 30 main event.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Got a laugh outta this

The philosophers of MMA

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

Don’t call it a comeback, karate’s been here for years.

In fact, karate is now an Olympic sport, so it should come as no surprise to learn that Karate Combat is back on the air tonight (Thurs., July 1, 2021) on CBS Sports, featuring former UFC champions Georges St-Pierre and Lyoto Machida as Season 3 senseis.

“Rush” mastered the art of Kyokushin Karate while “The Dragon” is representing his roots in Shotokan Karate.

Karate Combat is exactly what it sounds like: karate black belts facing off in “The Pit” under a modified, full-contact ruleset (read the specifics here). In addition, the promotion uses Epic Games’ Unreal Engine to create virtual environments for each competition.

Season 3 begins with 1890 Okinawa — and special guest Bas Rutten — tonight at 10 p.m. ET.

more at link...

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Exactly How Much Money Did GSP Make in the UFC? | Wild Ride! Clips​

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Don’t call it a comeback, karate’s been here for years.

In fact, karate is now an Olympic sport, so it should come as no surprise to learn that Karate Combat is back on the air tonight (Thurs., July 1, 2021) on CBS Sports, featuring former UFC champions Georges St-Pierre and Lyoto Machida as Season 3 senseis.

“Rush” mastered the art of Kyokushin Karate while “The Dragon” is representing his roots in Shotokan Karate.

Karate Combat is exactly what it sounds like: karate black belts facing off in “The Pit” under a modified, full-contact ruleset (read the specifics here). In addition, the promotion uses Epic Games’ Unreal Engine to create virtual environments for each competition.

Season 3 begins with 1890 Okinawa — and special guest Bas Rutten — tonight at 10 p.m. ET.

more at link...

Live right now

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Freshly released arm wrestling match

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
McGregor or Poirier ?

this looks like it could go either way

the pressure is on McGregor , time is against him , if Connor wins , he gets a title fight with Charles Oliveira , and then when Connor whoops Charles for the Championship , McGregor can retire on top of the world

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
McGregor or Poirier ?

this looks like it could go either way

the pressure is on McGregor , time is against him , if Connor wins , he gets a title fight with Charles Oliveira , and then when Connor whoops Charles for the Championship , McGregor can retire on top of the world

Just my opinion, Connor has only a puncher’s chance. He could land a lucky one but Poirier has the skill, stamina, and hunger.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
FF69952F-D5C9-4266-843F-15FA065FE092.jpeg

Both fighters have at least won a match against the other, with Poirier defeating McGregor at UFC 257 in January by TKO in Round 2. “The Diamond” Poirier left it all out there in the octagon and laid out McGregor for the upset victory. The 32-year-old Poirier has a pro fighting record of 27-6 (1 NC) and ranked first in the lightweight class. He is also ranked sixth in the men’s pound-for-pound rankings.

The veteran mixed martial artist averages 5.59 strikes per minute, with an accuracy of 49%. “The Diamond” absorbs 3.69 strikes per minute and defends against them at 56%. When it comes to the grappling, the 32-year-old has an astounding 1.75 takedown average per 15 minutes and 41% takedown accuracy. Poirier boasts a 1.32 submission average per 15 minutes and 69% takedown defense.

McGregor walks into Saturday night’s main event with a professional fighting record of 22-5 and ranked fifth in the lightweight class. “The Notorious” has never lost two straight fights in his mixed martial career. The Irishman averages 5.32 strikes per minute, with 49% accuracy. But McGregor absorbs more significant strikes than Poirier at 4.54 per minute and has a 54% defense.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
What’s missing in the comparison is hunger. I don’t think mcgregor’s drive to win was competitive (like Iceman, Jordan, or some of these guys that won’t tap because they can’t give up). It’s been money and ego based.

He’s got promoters royalties now, Irish whiskey company, 100 million dollar boxing exhibitions. He’s eclipsed his goal. Sure he’d love to be the champ and I wouldn’t diminish his desire to remain on top but Poirier, at least in my opinion, has more “it” factor

We’ll soon see

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
View attachment 217349

Both fighters have at least won a match against the other, with Poirier defeating McGregor at UFC 257 in January by TKO in Round 2. “The Diamond” Poirier left it all out there in the octagon and laid out McGregor for the upset victory. The 32-year-old Poirier has a pro fighting record of 27-6 (1 NC) and ranked first in the lightweight class. He is also ranked sixth in the men’s pound-for-pound rankings.

The veteran mixed martial artist averages 5.59 strikes per minute, with an accuracy of 49%. “The Diamond” absorbs 3.69 strikes per minute and defends against them at 56%. When it comes to the grappling, the 32-year-old has an astounding 1.75 takedown average per 15 minutes and 41% takedown accuracy. Poirier boasts a 1.32 submission average per 15 minutes and 69% takedown defense.

McGregor walks into Saturday night’s main event with a professional fighting record of 22-5 and ranked fifth in the lightweight class. “The Notorious” has never lost two straight fights in his mixed martial career. The Irishman averages 5.32 strikes per minute, with 49% accuracy. But McGregor absorbs more significant strikes than Poirier at 4.54 per minute and has a 54% defense.
Connor seemed on perfect balance pre press conference. Distin won that tit for tat hands down. In his post press C. Interview, Dustin was very sharp and on.

Seems Connor is trying to hard, but then again, that on and of itself is generating/perpetuating a super buzz.

-Most presales in UFC history,
-Sold out 20,000 seats in minutes
-Most celebrity attended UFC event ever

I hope Connor maintains his rematch tendencies. As many say and is true, the sport is much more interesting when CM is active.