• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The dollar store backlash has begun

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We have a Family Dollar in the local shopping plaza. It's been there about 15+ years now. I've popped in a few times to find cheap paint brushes or aluminum foil pans and paper plates. They send out sales flyers which I look through and for food I do NOT see where any savings are realized over going to the real grocery store across the street. In fact I don't see any real savings on much of anything there as their pricing is often higher than the local grocery store on foods, cleaning products and other stuff. They do offer lots of things not found in the local grocery store but found elsewhere like Walmart but the few extra pennies spent there make the trip to Walmart and other "big name stores" worth avoiding because of time/distance. So not really a bad place but marginally useful for the sake of convenience.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Local family dollar has plastic putty knives 99 cents for 3 and summer grade wiper blades for $5. For little crap like that they are useful.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
My local Dollar Tree sells the Big City Sunday newspaper for, you guessed it, a buck (plus 9 cents tax). Right outside the store is a coin vending box for the Sunday paper for $2.50 (but no tax).

:2 thumbs up:

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Dollar Tree is an actual dollar store, Family Dollar is not. They just say they are and then price everything in dollar increments. I will go in the former once in a while. They have good deals on selected things. I like their dishes of all things. Different colors, heavy construction and you don't need to worry about breaking them cause, well, they cost a dollar. However we havent had a bit ofva problem with them and they look nice
Garbage bags and some food items are good.
Don't buy the aftershave, it smells horrible.

ArkWv

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You don't remember the substitute school teacher in Georgia (I think) where one of the students took a snapshot of the teach on a desk with her legs in the air and a dildo at her back door? It was all over the net for awhile. Link? somewhere.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Dollar General is popular round these parts.

It's basically a large convenience store but much better prices.

I buy bandaids, alcohol, peroxide, vinegar, dental floss, TP and sometimes tortilla chips and lighters there and the prices are better than anywhere else on those and other items.

Like Fatrat said they also have $5 off $25 dollar purchase on Saturdays.

I think they make most of their money on smokes. Not sure if they sell lotto. They also have a decent freezer section and cooler with a fair selection as well as good prices on hardware/auto care stuff.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reading glasses, brooms, and dustpans are a deal for a buck. Somehow the glasses disappear and I have decided I want one everywhere within reach, always. The brooms seem to wander off, too. I also got some stereo earphones there for the family, but no feedback yet. If/when they break, I won't be sad to buy replacements.

As for the food, I know the prices, and I have found very few decent deals and NO great deals. Amazon is consistently better for deal availability.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
There are some bargains to be found in the half of the dollar stores that is not candy, soda and low-grade food.

Greeting cards a buck or 2/buck.

4-pack Panasonic brand AA or AAA alkaline batteries.

Cell phone cases, USB cables &, chargers.

Al kinds of kitchen gadgets and tools.

All kinds of office and school supplies.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Developer came in to build a building for DG to rent (DG doesn't own buildings,they just rent for 20 years off developer and move on to new buildings once the lease is up).

Anyhow developer bought site off a private owner only to find out an old 18 in sewer ran right through the middle of the property...they wanted the sewer relocated with financial help or they would not build....city officials agreed to a 20% reimbursement which amounted to $18,000....this for a facility that pays $30 a month in sewer Bill's (sewer dept funded the 20%)...looking at a 50 year payback to the sewer dept to break even.

Granted there are property taxes that the city and county will get....but they are not sending any of those funds to the department that funded this give away

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Stopped into mine today. My neighbor works there and she was there. Didn't see her when I walked in cuz I was on a mission to get to the cat food. 1/2 way down the isle she screamed at me "Hello!!!" I grabbed my cat food and checked out. Oh and put 200 on my prepaid debit card so I could get Randall carlsons complete works. 1/2 price sale ends tomorrow I think. Saved 187 bucks.

She did inform me i stink. I said I just got out of the shower.. She said no, I mean like weed. I don't normally carry any around so it must be in my jacket.. Time to put that in the laundry!!!. Good lookin out on her part. So there ya have it. Not only can you get cat food but the cashier could also save you from an awkward situation if you had gone elsewhere. LMAo. :dduck::dduck:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
After awhile I cant get the coyote stink off me.

I am very self conscious.

I always need a nap anyway, it will work itself out.

Honey, where is the flashlight?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
This is similar to what my great grandparents owned. Each of them (grandma & pa) had a store and the stores were only a couple of blocks away from one another. Back then there weren't two cars in the garage waiting for he or she to hop in and run down to the store so the stores served a few blocks of patrons. The shes stayed home to raise the kids and cook. You won't see much in the way of processed food in this photo just some canned goods.
View attachment 120910

The "new" four lane took Grandpa's store. I think grandma's closed in the 60's
I had an uncle that owned a store like that and I worked there for forty cents an hour. I was too young to drive much less afford a car but gasoline was 19 cents a gallon back then and college tuition was 115.45 per quarter

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
100 years ago my grandparents owned a "dollar store." It was actually a shoe store.

95 cents for a pair of cheap American-made shoes.

The premium Italian leather shoes sold for $1.95.

Nowadays damned shoe laces cost more than $1.95

:belly laugh:

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Libertarian legend Tom Woods addressed the subject of dollar stores, just a few days ago:

The latest claim — if you can believe it — is that so-called dollar stores make the poor poorer. This isn’t the first time the private sector has been condemned for expanding the choices available to the poor; I discuss three such cases in this maddening episode.

Ep. 1313 Capitalism Makes Poor Better Off; Left Goes Berserk

http://tomwoods.com/ep-1313-capitalism-makes-poor-better-off-left-goes-berserk/