• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The food price inflation thread

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The wife must shop for her essential job, working in a healthcare facility kitchen.

She is reporting that a dozen fancy brown eggs, which used to go for 2.50, are now over 4 dollars.

Please use this thread to report and comment on food price inflation in your area.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Prices?
When yer grabbin the last two cases of beer who cares about the prices?
<grin>
I'm waiting for those chicken wings to drop way down in price and I'm gonna load up onna couple dozen pounds of em.
BF

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The wife must shop for her essential job, working in a healthcare facility kitchen.

She is reporting that a dozen fancy brown eggs, which used to go for 2.50, are now over 4 dollars.

Please use this thread to report and comment on food price inflation in your area.
I grow most of my organic vegetable consumption.
During harvest I price against local organics and keep record of weight and what I did not need to spend.
Last fall prices on all in ground went up $1 per lb. Carrots, beets, onions, kale, chard, gr beans.
There was high fluctuation in broccoli and garlic due to outside supply coming in, but prices were about $2 more on average.
I have not purchased a vegetable since June? last year, no need at all.
Might be able to go full 365 this round and have left overs.

Covid 19 has nothing to do with the prices up to now.
An extremely poor growing season did.
Pay very close attention to the arctic sweep and moisture dump for the next 30 days+.
The Midwest and West are behind seasonly for ground prep, planting, and harvest of 2019 standing crop.
Not all areas of course as it is only April. But just look at how soaked, flooded, and raining the upper Midwest is.

Population has not changed, thus why would gross demand.
Supply limits based upon delivery, are a farce.
Yes, stop the trucks, limit purchases, close process facilities.
These are not the underlying fact, US agricultural production 2019... sucked.
Put on your mask, stand in line, pay more, and stay home.

Again, pay extremely diligent attention to 2020 US agricultural production.
If you have ground, PLANT IT.
Talking with local Agway and equivalent store owners, seed companies... the rush is on.
From chicks to fertilizer, seeds to starts, got for 2020... think 2021.
The rush similar to ones recently warned about here on GIM2 weeks in advance.

Local organic jumbo eggs same price as last year $5.99.
Eggs will store months at room temp.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe
I have dozens fridged, like I used to with a dozen Rhode Island Reds beautifying the back yard.
Thinking about 4 or 5 right now... and 12 50lb bags of feed at USDA manipulated low cost.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not been to the store in weeks now. Starting to go through stockpile. Nothing seems bad so far.
But I did notice boxes are a few oz short of what they are now. Cans are smaller or less in them.
Prices are much lower even from 2-10 years ago.
Inflation by less product AND costing more.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
food prices around me haven't changed

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I suppose it depends upon your frame of reference. I clearly remember eggs being $0.49 a dozen. When I was a small boy, a child's hair cut cost a quarter; and so did a gallon of gas. I also remember buying jars of Ragu pasta sauce for $0.89; today my store offers the same thing for $1.49 with a big sign telling my how many cents I have saved. It seems there are small price jumps the beginning of every year. I've seen plenty of food price inflation during my life.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
bread — ten loaves for a dollar. every saturday at the bakery when I was a kid.

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
Beef prices in my area have skyrocketed 30 - 40% ( 7 - $12.00 pd, steaks and roasts. $5.00 pd burger) almost overnight but chicken and pork remain in the .99 to 2.25 lb range (whole butt, chops, pork steak, loin etc, chicken leg's, thigh, wings, and whole - breasts are always @~ $3 - $4.00 pd). Bacon $3.50 - 4.50 pd depending on thickness and brand. Pork roll sausage can be had for 2 - $3.00 lb roll. Fresh veg up 25 -30% lb. Frozen veg remain cheap along with canned generic at .50 - .58c can. National brands such as Green Giant and Del Monte are well over $1.00 can for basics, $138 -$1.56 for "fancy" veg. Cheese is cheap as well @ ~ $2.50 pd for various type store brands. Add .50c pd for national brands. Fresh fruits have gone up ~25% pd easily while generic canned is up ~10% to .90 - $1.10 can. Add 25% for national brands. Milk and dairy haven't really moved at all. Gas - ~ $1.79 g regular while premium is ~ 2.61 - $2.70 g. Forgot to add eggs - the brown eggs I like are $1.69 doz. $2.29 18 pack white.

I expect prices to rise a LOT in the coming 90 days.

RR

Last edited:

ctrl-z

Seeker
Seeker
Site Supporter ++
One of the main things I have notices is no sales. Just normal price. Why mark it on sale to move it when things are flying off the shelves.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I went out last week and purchased some cookie dough already cut to size for $2.50 per pack of 24 cookies. This week it was up to $3.00 per 24. An increase of $.50 per package. I still bought them. I'm sure prices will just keep going up. Until every things go wild.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I just got a couple of things Friday afternoon but noticed that some items a up sharply from a week ago. Eggs more than tripled and hamburger about 70%.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Go online and try to buy seeds (Tomato, Peas, Green Beans, etc....) from any of the big retailers. None or sold out.

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Eggs at grocery store 4 weeks ago...1.99
Eggs at Kwik Trip Convenience store at that time...1.69
Eggs this week at Grocery Store now locally sourced...2.99 Limit One
Eggs this week at Kwik Trip also locally sourced...1.99 Limit Two

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Holy shit fellers!!

A lb of 90% ground beef at reyman grocery in Holly Colorado..........hold onto yer hat............9.49.

We dont buy meat at the store, but had to look at the case when we went in for some supplies, just to see.

SO, for an oz of silver, less than 2 lb of ground meat.

for fuck sake...............

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Went to Walmart a couple days ago. I got a 10lb 73% hamburger for $26, a 10lb bag of chicken quarters for $6.50, and pork spare ribs for $1.74/lb. And frozen chicken breast 5lb for $10. 2lb bag of frozen french fries was $1.68

I portion out the hamburger into 1lb sandwich bags and keep them in the freezer.

I cut up the chicken into thighs and drumsticks, and my wife breaded them, put them in the deep fryer for 8 minutes each, and baked them in the oven, probably 45 minutes. They came out great (but I would have liked more salt...) The dog got a fair amount of skin trimmings, so he was happy too.

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
Tough cuts of beef like round, clod, rump, chuck are pushing $16 pd here , NY strip is $18.98! Burger - $8.00 pd for 75-25. Pork and chicken are still OK - .49 pd for 10 pd bag of leg and thigh quarters...

RR

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Went to Walmart a couple days ago. I got a 10lb 73% hamburger for $26, a 10lb bag of chicken quarters for $6.50, and pork spare ribs for $1.74/lb. And frozen chicken breast 5lb for $10. 2lb bag of frozen french fries was $1.68

I portion out the hamburger into 1lb sandwich bags and keep them in the freezer.

I cut up the chicken into thighs and drumsticks, and my wife breaded them, put them in the deep fryer for 8 minutes each, and baked them in the oven, probably 45 minutes. They came out great (but I would have liked more salt...) The dog got a fair amount of skin trimmings, so he was happy too.
Love to buy in quantity and vacuum seal in meal size portions. I don't like 73% burger though. I will wait for a sale on the 85% to 93% and can often find it for $2.99 to $3.29 if I purchase in a Family Pack or 3 lb tube. I also have a wholesale source with pretty stable pricing that supplies restaurants in the area. Very similar to sale prices in the local grocery store. They can even source veal for us which is difficult to find even though veal "on the hoof" is everywhere around us.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Look around for a local rancher who will sell you beef on the hoof.

Get together a group and split the cost to have it butchered and vacuum packed.

Got a local ranch down in Westcliff CO and they grass feed their cows.
Barn2Door is the distributor here. Might have it across the nation?

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Look around for a local rancher who will sell you beef on the hoof.

Get together a group and split the cost to have it butchered and vacuum packed.

Got a local ranch down in Westcliff CO and they grass feed their cows.
Barn2Door is the distributor here. Might have it across the nation?
We have a friend that sells Grass fed beef but with only two of us, we would need someone to go in with us. The last 1/2 was a small steer but took us three years to eat up. Need more friends with empty freezers.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
seems like supply and demand in my hood

grocery store prices up with demand increase

restaurant prices down with demand decrease

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
TOday burger was $5.99 lb for 5 lb bag. $6.99 if you want less. Last week it was $3.69. I bought 5 lbs of chicken breasts for $15 it used to be $1.89.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The chicken leg quarters still seem to be reasonable. I have been buying shit out of em, and into the freezer.

If the power goes out and doesnt come back on, ill be in a bad way.

I am in it for the protein, I can make chicken and noodles w the best of em.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Blue Roof Hydro Farm is where we been buying our beef.
Expensive but sizzling good.

hamburger $6.99 lb
roasts $15 a pound

prices like that

we are thinking of ordering a quarter side

hey Coopersmith , no generator or solar backup?

we are looking into solar but I’m procrastinating because there is a myriad of solar info out there , scammers galore.

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
Have any of you military affiliated types been to a commissary lately? If so, how are the prices? I haven't been in months and out of sheer boredom I'm thinking about driving down to Pensacola to hit the big one at the NAS. I usually spend a pretty good chunk of the summer down there but probably not this year. Just some weekend beach trips...

RR

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Local store had a 7lb roast for $109.00. That's not a typo...though I suspect that it was a typo on the price tag. Local wal mart sells similar cuts for about $21.00.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Have any of you military affiliated types been to a commissary lately? If so, how are the prices? I haven't been in months and out of sheer boredom I'm thinking about driving down to Pensacola to hit the big one at the NAS. I usually spend a pretty good chunk of the summer down there but probably not this year. Just some weekend beach trips...

RR
I might give it a shot this week. Good idea.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Blue Roof Hydro Farm is where we been buying our beef.
Expensive but sizzling good.

hamburger $6.99 lb
roasts $15 a pound

prices like that

we are thinking of ordering a quarter side

hey Coopersmith , no generator or solar backup?

we are looking into solar but I’m procrastinating because there is a myriad of solar info out there , scammers galore.
No alternative energy backup here, but got 3 pallets of new jars, and alot of propane, like that put it in the can.

Seems like alot of work, id trade frn for power.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Meat prices are getting expensive, looks priced in pesos.

meat3.jpg
meat.jpg

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Local store had a 7lb roast for $109.00. That's not a typo...though I suspect that it was a typo on the price tag. Local wal mart sells similar cuts for about $21.00.
Let it stay in the case. Let THEM own it at that price, not you!

I`m very glad that my wife and I are vegetarians . Have been for YEARS . We`ve saved untold money by being so, plus all the health benefits that go along with it. The "vegetarian" meats are getting to be very good now, and in some cases actually better than the real thing, although the aren`t exactly cheap either. We eat these "meats" every once in a blue moon.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Ordinary beef cuts that used to cost $4.50 to $5.50 are now around $7 or $8. The new hamburger is $8/lb.
Summer sausage is on sale for $7 for 28oz ($4/lb). They probably won't last long on the shelve.
Eggs have been variable this year, today they were $1.29/dozen.
Fruits and vegetables seem to be usual price.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Fuck that! Let them throw it into the bucket and eat wheaties instead! Don't get sucked into paying those prices!
A person would have to be MENTAL to pay "highway robbery" prices and knowingly allow themselves to be RIPPED OFF by these criminals !! ESPECIALLY when it`s VERY EASY to live WITHOUT MEAT altogether .......

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
Not gloating. Saw this coming and I filled the freezer(s) with all varieties. Funny thing, they had T Bones on sale for 4.99 pd while everything else was going way up. I bought easily 10-15 pds (average 25 oz per steak - I split them with my galpal) last week. Now, they're at ~ 18 bucks a pound. Call it hoarding if you like but I saved a lot of money just in time. Hopefully things start to work out by the end of the summer.

RR