• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

The Good News Thread:

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

Don’t you just hate that bad timing like washing you car right before it rains.

This guy was getting his dreadlocks repaired right before she drug him down the street by his hair

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Don’t you just hate that bad timing like washing you car right before it rains.

This guy was getting his dreadlocks repaired right before she drug him down the street by his hair
That scene made my day. :)

Screenshot_20210717-142419~2.png

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The video is six months old, but still good news...

Good reminder to be kind to people as you have no idea what they may be dealing with.

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

10-year-old girl helps brother, grandma escape Kentucky home as intruder breaks in​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/10-old-girl-helps-brother-180117566.html

The quick actions and calm demeanor of a 10-year-old girl led to a family’s safe exit from their home Monday when an intruder entered their Kentucky residence.

Because of Laken Blanford’s brave maneuvering and quick thinking to call her father, the girl was presented with a special honor by the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office.

Laken’s father, Lance Blanford, said in a detailed Facebook post he was at work Monday when he ignored two of his daughter’s video calls. He answered when she called a third time, and he could tell immediately she was scared.

She told her dad a man had entered their home, where she was with her 6-year-old brother and grandma.

“He was just walking normally, like nothing was going on, like he owned the house, like he had every right to be there,” Laken told WLKY.

Laken asked her dad if he was expecting anyone, and he said he was not but was second guessing himself, Blanford wrote in his post.

“It all changed when she began crying. I could tell she was scared to death,” Blanford said. “She proceeded to tell me that the guy was yelling and kicking at our dog. That’s when I knew something was wrong.”

Blanford said he immediately left work and rushed to his home. He said he asked Laken if she could sneak out of the closet she was hiding in and turn the camera toward the man.

The man, whom Blanford did not recognize, was drinking one of his Busch Light beers from his refrigerator. The dad told Laken she needed to get her brother and grandma out of the home and find a hiding spot behind their neighbor’s house.

Laken began moving throughout the house — then the call dropped.

“Talk about a sick feeling. I couldn’t get to my house fast enough,” Blanford said.

Blanford said he tried calling Laken back but did not have service. When he made it home, he did not spot his family members as he scanned the residence.

Grabbing his shotgun, Blanford checked each room for both his family and the intruder. Then he saw the man drinking a beer in his basement.

“Let me tell you, if you haven’t been in this situation, you have no idea the adrenaline and the scenarios that run through your mind,” Blanford said. “But, still not knowing where my kids were, I only had one choice.”

When Blanford told the man to get out of his house, the intruder slammed down the beer and charged at him. Blanford didn’t shoot at the man, but instead struck him with the barrel of the gun, he said.

As the man was on the ground unconscious, Blanford said he made sure he was unarmed, then went to check on his family.
They were across the street on the phone with police, the father said.

Sheriff Ramon Pineiroa and deputies from the sheriff’s office later arrived at the home and took the man into custody.

Pineiroa presented Laken with a Sheriff’s Office Challenge coin and applauded the girl for her actions.

“What sticks out the most is what a very young girl did prior to our arrival,” the sheriff wrote in a Facebook post. “She remained calm, cool, and collected in very alarming circumstances.”

The father said Laken was emotional following the situation, but her demeanor changed when the sheriff approached her with the coin.

“She wasn’t happy, but she no longer was afraid. She was proud,” Blanford said.

The man, identified by WLKY as Stanley Ritter, was arrested on burglary charges.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
When Blanford told the man to get out of his house, the intruder slammed down the beer and charged at him. Blanford didn’t shoot at the man, but instead struck him with the barrel of the gun, he said.
I am trying to understand this. How the hell did he make this choice?! It makes no sense to me. He should have aimed at the center of mass and shot until the attacker stopped.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I am trying to understand this. How the hell did he make this choice?! It makes no sense to me. He should have aimed at the center of mass and shot until the attacker stopped.
In some cases that is what you have to do. But, it's going to cost you at least $30k to prove you are innocent in court. Knocked out cost nothing and the criminal goes to jail.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
In some cases that is what you have to do. But, it's going to cost you at least $30k to prove you are innocent in court.
Actually, I am a member of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. If they agree that I acted in self-defense, they will pay for my legal needs. It is NOT insurance that pays after the trial. They pay lawyer fees from day one, and have expert witnesses as needed.

Going back to the attacker, I believe it is a serious mistake to allow him to get that close.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Unless or until one is in that kind of life or death siuation, it is impossible to know how one will react. That's why strict training is so vital to controlling ones automatic reactions.

When I was mugged by a (freedom light edit here) with a ball peen hammer, my only conscious thought was, "keep distance".
During the attack, which probably lasted 5 minutes, I didn't once have the conscious thought to strike, though I have trained in combat disciplines my whole life, nor did I think I threw any strikes, and did not feel any strikes from the attacker.

However, at one point he was holding his face, whining out loud that I "hit him in the head" (and acting very shocked & surprised)

He then gave up and retreated as I was in confusion trying to understand what happened.

Turns out my clothes were torn up, my knuckles swollen and for the next 2-3 weeks had a glorious multi colored bruise from my shoulder to my elbow where I had unknowingly been struck by the hammer.

It was quite surreal and cemented the utter importance of training, muscle memory and controlling adrenaline and the "adrenaline dump".

The Amygdala: Function & Psychology Of Fight Or Flight
By: Toni Hoy

Updated May 05, 2021

Medically Reviewed By: Dawn Brown

Researchers work hard every day to understand the complex system of brain functioning. Studies have helped them learn much about the parts of the brain that control our emotional and behavioral responses. Brain research has helped researchers label various parts of the brain and understand how they function alone and in connection with one another. The amygdala is the part of the brain most closely associated with the fear response, or “fight or flight.”

Source: commons.wikimedia.org

Based on their understanding of brain function, clinicians have been able to develop therapeutic interventions to help clients deal better with fear, stress, and anxiety. While we've learned much about the role of the amygdala and the fight or flight response, researchers acknowledge that the amygdala has other functions that we don't yet fully understand.

Amygdala Function: Psychology Of The Brain

The amygdala is a part of the limbic system. The word amygdala means almond, and this part of the brain was aptly named for its almond shape. The amygdala is a collection of nuclei that are found in the temporal lobe. Two amygdalae reside in the brain, one in each hemisphere.

In a general sense, the amygdala plays a strong role in why we display emotions. The amygdala has several functions, but it is best known for its role in helping our bodies process fear by initiating a fight or flight response to dangerous or threatening situations.

Scientists have recently learned that the amygdala also activates in response to positive stimuli, as well as being associated with memories that have either a strong positive or negative component. Current studies are exploring how the amygdala affects other realms, such as addiction and social interaction.

Amygdala Function: The Psychology Of Fight Or Flight

At some point in our lives, nearly all of us have been faced with the prospect of public speaking. The scientific name for fear of public speaking is glossophobia. Estimates suggest that about 75% of people have some degree of glossophobia.

Source: rawpixel.com

The fear of public speaking often creates physiological symptoms such as an increased heart rate, increased respiration, butterflies in the stomach, and trouble thinking well enough to get the words out. These reactions occur because our brain sends out a signal that prepare the body to respond to a threat.

When we feel threatened, the hypothalamus triggers a fight or flight response. The thalamus sends a signal directly to the amygdala before it gets processed at the cortex, which is where higher-level thinking occurs. This is why we experience a sense of fear before we even have time to think about why. While fear is an uncomfortable feeling, it serves an important purpose in protecting us, because it gives us the chance to take action to eliminate the danger.

When it comes to public speaking, our body's reactions tell us that we need to compensate for the fear. Some people try methods of distracting themselves from the fear such as picturing audience members in their underwear or staring out into space rather than making eye contact with the audience.

As the time nears to begin speaking, the amygdala tells the hypothalamus to signal the body to prepare an extra dose of energy to flee the threat. The body's response is to increase heart rate and respiration and activate the sweat glands.

Since anxiety is a symptom of fear, it's easy to see the connection between the amygdala and anxiety. When we think about a potential threat, our body responds by becoming anxious, even if the threat never materializes. Studies have shown that the amygdala is overactive in people who live with severe anxiety. Researchers believe that other parts of the brain, such as the hippocampus and the prefrontal cortex, are also involved with anxiety symptoms.

What Has Research Shown Us About the Function Of The Amygdala?

Heinrich Kluver and Paul Bucy conducted some of the first experiments involving the amygdala. They removed the amygdala of rhesus monkeys and recorded drastic changes in their behavior. The monkeys became docile and seemed to display little or no fear. This phenomenon is called Kluver-Bucy syndrome, and it led to similar studies that explored the role of the amygdala in fear and anxiety.

In other studies, researchers used mice to study the role of the amygdala in fear. They worked with mice that had intact amygdalae. The experiment consisted of playing a tone and then giving the mouse an uncomfortable foot shock. Thus, they conditioned the mice to associate the tone with the shock. After repeated incidences of playing the tone and delivering the shock, the mice began to display fear as soon as the tone was played.

As a follow-up experiment, researchers used mice that had lesions on their amygdalae and repeated the steps of playing the tone and delivering the foot shock. The mice weren't able to remember that the tone came before the shock and didn't display fear at the sound of the tone.

A "Handy" Model Of The Brain That Demonstrates The Fight Or Flight Response

Dr. Daniel Siegel is a notable psychiatrist and clinical professor at UCLA who has done extensive work in both neuropsychiatry and trauma and attachment.

On a quest to develop a simple model to explain the complex inner workings of the brain, Dr. Siegel developed a “hand model” that demonstrates the functions of various parts of the brain in connection with the fight or flight response.

Place one of your hands up and put your thumb in the middle of your palm. Then curl your fingers over the top of your thumb. Your knuckles should be facing forward. Your palm and fingers represent your brain, and your wrist represents your spinal cord.

Now, if you lift your fingers and raise your thumb, you can see the inner brainstem as represented by the palm of your hand. Put your thumb back down, and you now see the approximate location of the limbic area of the brain, which is the area that contains the amygdala, hippocampus, thalamus, hypothalamus, basal ganglia, and cingulate gyrus.

Next, curl your fingers back over the top of your thumb; your fingers represent the protective covering of the cortex.

These three regions of the brain -- the brainstem, the limbic area, and the cortex -- are collectively referred to as the "triune brain." Integrating the brain encompasses a process that links these three regions together. As most people are aware, the brain also has two hemispheres: the left and the right. To have neural integration, the signals must be sent through both halves of the brain and link the functions in both hemispheres. Let's take a closer look at each region.

Source: rawpixel.com

Brainstem

The brainstem controls the body's energy levels through heart rate and respiration. It also controls our states of arousal. The activity within the brainstem shapes the areas of the brain above it, which are the limbic and cortical regions.

During times of danger, clusters of neurons in the brainstem put us in survival mode as they move the body into a state of fight, flight, or freeze.

Limbic Area

The limbic area is hidden deeply in the brain. On your hand model, the limbic area is approximately where your thumb is. The parts of the limbic system work together to evaluate whether a situation is safe or dangerous. If the situation is safe, our emotions will tell us to move toward it. If it's dangerous, our emotions will tell us to move away from it.

The limbic area is a critical region that aids us in forming bonds and developing relationships. The hypothalamus is the master endocrine control center. The hypothalamus delivers and retrieves hormones via the pituitary gland. When we feel stress, this starts a chain reaction in which the pituitary gland stimulates the adrenal glands, which in turn release cortisol and mobilize our energy. The process works well in the short-term, but it can create problems when cortisol levels remain elevated for long periods.

Cortex

The outer layer of the brain is the cortex. The prefrontal cortex lies just behind your forehead.

The triune brain is connected. The cortex regulates the subcortical, limbic, and brainstem areas, which helps us stay tuned in, connected, balanced, and flexible. This regulation is important because we face many challenges on a daily basis that require the triune brain to function well. When the limbic system becomes dysregulated, we can lose our sense of connectedness and balance.

Using the hand model, dysregulation causes our fingers to flip up, exposing the limbic system, which causes us to lose our flexibility and act in unreasonable ways. We may even lose our moral reasoning ability. Essentially, by overloading the limbic system, we "flip our lids."

The good news is that we can take an emotional break and allow the cortex to take control again, which allows us to re-regulate ourselves.

Therapy for PTSD

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health disorder that can occur after experiencing a deeply frightening, threatening event. Many of the symptoms of PTSD are associated with being “stuck” in the limbic system and the fight or flight response. To recover from PTSD, we must risk exposing ourselves to feared memories, situations, and places – in effect, retraining our brains. Three types of therapy that are effective for PTSD are cognitive processing therapy, prolonged exposure, and EMDR.

The Benefits of Online Therapy

As discussed above, therapy can help regulate the amygdala when you are stuck in fight or flight. But if you are experiencing PTSD, it may be difficult to attend in-person therapy. This is where online therapy comes in. You can access BetterHelp’s platform from the comfort and privacy of your own home. In addition, online therapy offers lower pricing than in-person therapy because online therapists don’t have to pay for costs like renting an office. BetterHelp’s licensed therapists have helped people with PTSD. Read below for some reviews of BetterHelp therapists from people experiencing similar issues.

Counselor Reviews

“Veronica does a great job of listening and picking up exactly what I’m trying to explain even when discussing difficult subjects. She helps conversations flow in the direction that provides growth and healing from past trauma but also connecting that with my current daily life.”

“Samantha is the best! I've had other therapists in the past but haven't been able to connect in the same way. I appreciate she will give me tasks to think about between sessions or things to actively work on that aren't a far reach and really help me rethink situations and how I deal with things. She's helped me through a traumatic year and I don't know what I would do without her!”

Conclusion

If you are living with post-traumatic stress disorder or severe anxiety, or if your attachments to others are weak, you don't have to live in a constant state of fight or flight. The licensed counselors at BetterHelp can help you develop coping strategies to prevent you from “flipping your lid,” or return to a regulated state if you've already lost emotional control. The hand model serves as a reminder that the problem lies deep inside your brain, and there are effective ways to keep your amygdala in healthy working order.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Actually, I am a member of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. If they agree that I acted in self-defense, they will pay for my legal needs. It is NOT insurance that pays after the trial. They pay lawyer fees from day one, and have expert witnesses as needed.

Going back to the attacker, I believe it is a serious mistake to allow him to get that close.
I was attacked by a man with a knife. I shot him in the left eye. There were 8 witnesses. My legal fees were $50k. I was found not guilty. Without the lawyer I would have gotten 10 years for 2nd degree murder.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Relaxing

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

U.S. appeals court upholds Texas ban on second-trimester abortion procedure​

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...cond-trimester-abortion-procedure-2021-08-19/

Aug 18 (Reuters) - The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld on Wednesday a Texas law effectively banning the most common abortion procedure for terminating second-trimester pregnancies, reversing a ruling last year by a three-judge panel of the same court.

Wednesday's decision marks the first time a U.S. federal court has upheld a prohibition on the standard abortion method used after 15 weeks of pregnancy - dilation and evacuation, or D&E - though some other states have acted to outlaw it.

Last October, a three-judge panel of the 5th Circuit had sided with abortion rights activists in affirming a 2017 lower-court opinion that struck down the Texas law as unconstitutional and temporarily barred its enforcement.

The panel's 2-1 ruling held that the statute "unduly burdens a woman's constitutionally protected right" to terminate her own pregnancy before the fetus is considered viable.

But the full 17-member 5th Circuit, acting on an appeal from Texas, reheard the case in January and issued its "en banc" decision on Wednesday vacating that decision, thus putting the Republican-enacted abortion restriction into effect.

Physicians found to have violated the measure would face a prison term of up to two years.

Nine judges on the New Orleans-based appeals court joined in ruling in favor of the Texas statute, with five judges dissenting and three recused from the case.

The newly re-instated law forbids D&E abortions unless the physician first performs a separate, additional procedure in the woman's body to bring about the demise of the fetus.

That requirement, appellate Judge James Dennis wrote in his dissent, would force women to unnecessarily undergo "painful, invasive, expensive, and in some cases experimental additional treatments" that pose "significantly elevated risks to the women's health and well-being."

But a majority of the court disagreed, finding that plaintiffs failed to show the measure "imposes an undue burden on a large fraction of women in the relevant circumstances."

The Texas law refers to the D&E procedure, involving the use of suction and forceps to bring fetal tissue through the woman's cervix, as a "dismemberment abortion," a non-medical term eschewed by doctors.

The law's advocates say its restrictions promote the state's interest in preventing fetal pain. But Dennis, writing for the 2-1 majority of the appellate panel last year, said, "We find little merit in this argument."

As he said then, major medical bodies, such as the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Medical Association, have concluded that fetal pain is impossible before 24 weeks of gestation - well beyond the point when abortions are almost never performed.

Wednesday's ruling "has allowed extremist politicians to interfere in private healthcare decisions that should stay between patients and their physicians," Dr. Bhavik Kumar, an abortion provider at the Planned Parenthood Center for Choice in Houston, a plaintiff in the case, said in a statement.

The ruling comes three months after Governor Greg Abbott signed into law a separate bill banning abortions outright as early as six weeks into gestation, before many women realize they are pregnant. Several groups have filed suit to block that measure before it takes effect on Sept. 1.

Although D&Es are the safest abortion method after about 15 weeks of pregnancy - about two weeks into the second trimester - nearly 90% of all abortions happen in the first trimester, says the Guttmacher Institute research group that supports abortion rights.

Similar D&E abortion bans in other states, including Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana and Oklahoma, have been struck down by the courts, according to the Center for Reproductive Rights.

Texas, the most populous Republican-dominated state, has been at the forefront of efforts around the country to restrict abortion.

Many of those measures are part of a legal strategy by conservatives to prompt the U.S. Supreme Court to roll back its landmark 1973 decision, known as Roe v. Wade, that guarantees a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy before viability of the fetus, at around 24 to 28 weeks of gestation.

Whole Woman's Health, the lead plaintiff challenging the D&E ban, also led a legal fight in 2016 that ended in the Supreme Court's striking down a Texas abortion law that had shuttered nearly half the state's clinics by imposing strict regulations on doctors and facilities.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Curtis Sliwa press conference. Would be a great Mayor.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Politics is like making sausage. If you knew everything that went in it you would not eat sausages or get involved in politics.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Citizens Raise over $500K for Unborn Baby of Fallen Marine Rylee McCollum​

Rylee McCollum, a Marine and Sublette County native killed in the Aug. 26 suicide bombing at the airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, with his wife Jiennah Crayton. Roice McCollum, courtesy
Roice McCollum
AMY FURR31 Aug 2021262
A huge amount of funds were raised for the family of U.S. Marine Rylee McCollum who died in Kabul, Afghanistan, last week.
The 20-year-old was among 13 U.S. servicemembers who died during a terrorist bombing Thursday at the Kabul airport.
When people learned he had been killed and left behind a wife and unborn baby, two fundraisers were set up, the Western Journal reported.
On a GoFundMe page titled Rylee McCollum’s Child Education Fund, the Into the Breach Supply Company who organized it wrote, “This is a fund specifically dedicated to the education and upbringing of Marine Rylee McCollum’s child who is expected for September.”
“His sacrifice at HKIA to protect the lives of those who cannot themselves will not be forgotten,” the page read.
As of Tuesday afternoon, donors gave $504,280.
Meanwhile, Jill Crayton, who is McCollum’s mother-in-law, created a fundraiser titled “Love for Gigi” for his widow and their baby.

“She’s 36 weeks pregnant and she lost her love. I never got to meet him, but I will meet his baby, and I will love and spoil that baby forever. please hold her in your heart and soul because she needs it, this mama knows exactly what that feels like,” she wrote.

The page has so far raised $208,116.

The young man’s sister, Roice McCollum, said her brother had always wanted to become a Marine.

“He wanted to be a Marine his whole life and carried around his rifle in his diapers and cowboy boots,” she explained. “He was determined to be in infantry… Rylee wanted to be a history teacher and a wrestling coach when he finished serving his country.”

“Rylee will always be a hero not just for the ultimate sacrifice he made for our country, but for the way he impacted every life around him for the better. Making us stronger, kinder, teaching us to love deeper,” she continued.
The U.S. troops deaths on Thursday in Kabul marked the largest single-day loss of life for American soldiers in Afghanistan in ten years, Breitbart News reported.

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Love for Gigi go fund me is doing well too, $225k. This about made me cry, what Biden did to those marines :`(

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The Love for Gigi go fund me is doing well too, $225k. This about made me cry, what Biden did to those marines :`(
Talked to a retired marine today. Lets just leave it as "not happy"

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
This video isn't "good news" but it beats a lot of the junk that's on YouTube.
And it put a smile on my face. I thought it might do the same for some of you.

Amazing flights with birds on board of a microlight. Christian Moullec avec ses oiseaux (4 min 22 sec):​
Published on Dec 10, 2017 by Voler Avec les Oiseaux​

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

Goldbrix