• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Good News Thread:

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Texas Boy, five, thought to be nonverbal stuns family by suddenly talking after dentist realizes that he is tongue-tied and cures him with laser treatment

• Mason Motz, 6, of Texas was unable to speak in complete sentences for years
  • His parents thought it was because of a genetic condition known as Sotos Syndrome
  • Sotos is characterized by delays in a young child's development
  • But a trip to the dentist changed everything after it was discovered that the boy was tongue-tied
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-non-verbal-TALK-discovered-tongue-tied.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
From homeless to hero — and maybe the cover of Maxim magazine?
By: Natalie Gross   4 days ago

Janae Sergio spent her high school years on the streets of Los Angeles, in and out of homeless shelters and programs for at-risk youth.

So, when the 36-year-old Navy veteran heard about a competition that donates money toward building homes for wounded warriors, she knew she wanted to take part.

“I know what it’s like to not have a home, so that’s really important to me,” she told Military Times.

Sergio, now an assistant business and financial manager for the U.S. Pacific Fleet, is vying for a spot on the cover of the international men’s magazine Maxim, a competition that comes with a $25,000 prize for the lucky winner — and the kind of platform that would give Sergio a voice to inspire young people living in similar circumstances.

“Before I actually became homeless, I had always wanted to be in modeling, and I had always loved the fashion business,” Sergio said.

But it was after her mother dropped her off at a shelter when she was about 16 that her aspirations turned to the task at hand: survival.
“I needed to focus on surviving and establishing myself as a successful woman before I could think about (modeling),” she said.

That shift of focus led to Sergio joining the Navy at 18, a move coinciding with a promise to earn her GED after missing too much school to be able to graduate. Sergio eventually used the GI Bill to earn a bachelor’s degree in business management.

After 9/11, she deployed twice and held a variety of posts before getting out of the military in 2008.

“I didn’t have any hope for what my future would be," she said of her teenage years. "I was kind of living day to day and trying to figure out where I would sleep at night. The Navy gave me that future and gave me that footing to establish myself as a successful businesswoman.”

In the decade since ditching the uniform, Sergio has found her way back to the service, but this time as a civilian. Currently, she’s based in Hawaii helping to manage a $5 billion budget for the Navy.

She also models on the side and has picked up more than 41,000 followers at her Instagram account, @janae_perfectlyflawed, where she sometimes promotes the products of veteran-owned businesses and has been featured on a number of other military-related accounts.

Sergio said she was initially anxious about her chances at making the Maxim cover because she didn’t think people would actually vote for a mom in her mid-30s. Yet it’s those relationships within the military and veteran community, she believes, that have enabled her to stay near the top of her category thus far.

“If you were to see me in person, I don’t look like a supermodel,” she said. “In real life, I’m just a normal mom who goes to work every day and comes home and cooks dinner for the family.”

In her posts and daily inspirational messages to her followers, she wants to make sure the real her comes across.

“People see the authenticity,” she said. “They see someone who’s come from nothing to really establish themselves.”

That’s really the message Sergio hopes to get across to her daughters and young women everywhere — that it takes work and brains, not just looks, to be successful.

If she wins the Maxim competition, Sergio said she would donate a portion of the $25,000 prize to the Fisher House Foundation, which provides homes for military and veteran families while a loved one is receiving medical treatment.

She would also like to donate to a program for at-risk youth in Hawaii, similar to one in Los Angeles that once helped her.

And though the rest of it won’t be enough to fully fund her dream of starting her own center that provides services to the homeless, a win could perhaps be the platform she needs to properly advocate for it.

“I think people underestimate how much at-risk youth need our time and our support,” she said. “They don’t understand that these people have been abandoned. They’ve lost hope.”

As part of the contest, a portion of voter proceedings goes to Homes for Wounded Warriors, a foundation started by former National Football League all-pro defensive end Jared Allen that raises money to build and remodel handicap-accessible homes for disabled Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...o-hero-and-maybe-the-cover-of-maxim-magazine/

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
YouTube star Jimmy Donaldson leaves $10,000 tip at a North Carolina diner after ordering just two glasses of water

• Customer walked in to Sup Dogs in Greenville, North Carolina on Saturday
  • Patron ordered two glasses of water and then left the restaurant
  • Alaina Custer, a waitress, found a $10,000 tip at the table
  • Locals later determined the identity of the mystery diner - Jimmy Donaldson
  • Donaldson, a Greenville native, is also known by his online persona, MrBeast
  • MrBeast has a massive YouTube following approaching 9 million subscribers
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...na-diner-ordering-just-two-glasses-water.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Grandfather finally learns to read at the age of 72 after seven DECADES of hiding his illiteracy while working as a machinist

• Lonnie Breitung, from Wisconsin, left school at 16 and worked as a farmhand
  • Friends helped him fill out forms and a policeman read his driving test aloud
  • He retired in 2011 and found the courage to take classes with Mavis Kjarland, 79
  • He is now the council's Learner of the Year, saying 'I'm a little bit proud of myself'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6311813/Grandfather-learns-read-age-72.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Sweet act of charity! Kind-hearted donut shop customers help tireless owner, 62, visit his sick wife by buying out his shop in the mornings so he can close early

• John Chhan has run Donut City in Seal Beach, California, for 28 years
  • Patrons were used to seeing Mr Chhan's wife, Stella, by his side at the shop
  • But loyal customers noticed the 63-year-old woman wasn't by his side after she suffered from a brain aneurysm and had to rest at home
  • They decided to buy out all the donuts in his shop in the morning so he could go home to his wife
  • This decision came after Mr Chhan declined offers to start a GoFundMe

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...wner-62-visit-sick-wife-care-buying-shop.html

mayhem

Past-Present-Future
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Good news.. The good people of Fla. beat down the criminal knee grow from becoming the governor. Also sent the astronaut home from DC and replacing him with a pro-business repub. While Nelson wasn't a Chuckie Shoemaker ultra liberal he still needed to go.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
'I have to return the favor': Homeless veteran who received $360,000 in donations after he gave a woman, 27, his LAST $20 for gas says he will use the windfall to help others
  • Kate McClure, 27, started a GoFundMe page for 34-year-old Johnny Bobbitt Jr. almost two weeks ago
  • Bobbitt, who is homeless, came to her aid when she ran out of gas at on Interstate 95 in Philadelphia
  • He walked a few blocks in the middle of the night and used his last $20 to buy McClure some gas
  • McClure said she didn't have any money to repay him at the time but promised to return
  • She set up a GoFundMe which has since raised more than $360,000 to help Bobbitt get back on his feet
  • Now the veteran has pledged to use part of the donations to help others who are struggling

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5118629/Homeless-vet-plans-pay-donations-forward.html#ixzz4zZ3dP3Yt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Have to retract this. It was all a scam...……….

Homeless man and couple 'MADE UP' heart-warming story that he gave woman his last $20 as all three are charged with scamming donors who raised $400,000 for him on GoFundMe

• Kate McClure and Mark D'Amico set up a GoFundMe page for Johnny Bobbitt
  • McClure said she was stranded when Bobbitt gave her his last few dollars for gas
  • More than 14,000 people donated to the campaign which quickly went viral
  • But now, the trio are facing charges including conspiracy and theft by deception
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...conspired-couple-raised-400-000-GoFundMe.html

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
^^ And everyone who reads this will think twice or three times before lending a hand to anyone.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
^^ And everyone who reads this will think twice or three times before lending a hand to anyone.
Made the tv big time when it was first supposed to happen. They snookered a lot of people. Not good at all.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Would You Leave a Six-Figure Job to Feed the Homeless? This 27-Year-Old Did.

RD
Brandon Specktor
6 days ago

© Provided by Trusted Media Brands, Inc. december january 2016 everyday heroes robert lee

As an elementary school student in New York City, Robert Lee would stare in disbelief at his classmates throwing away half-eaten sandwiches after lunch. His Korean immigrant parents had taught him and his older brother not to waste food. 'They said it was bad karma,' says Robert, 27.

While studying finance and accounting at New York University, Robert remembered this lesson and joined Two Birds One Stone, a food-rescue club on campus that delivered, five days a week, uneaten pasta, vegetables, and other leftovers from the dining hall to nearby homeless shelters.

When Robert and fellow club member Louisa Chen entered a college entrepreneurship contest, they proposed a slightly different idea for a food-rescue nonprofit group: Their program wouldn’t have a donation minimum (meaning they would gladly pick up one bag of leftover bagels or a single pot of soup), would operate seven days a week, and would be staffed entirely by volunteers.

Their idea won the competition. With the $1,000 prize, they founded Rescuing Leftover Cuisine (RLC) in July 2013. In just the first few weeks, Robert’s team delivered a donation of enough spaghetti and meatballs to feed 20 people in line at a New York City homeless shelter that had run out of food. Learn more about the 13 things local food pantries wish you knew.

Robert, who had taken a job as an analyst at J.P. Morgan, devoted his spare time to creating a network of New York City restaurants, from mom-and-pop delis to large chains like Starbucks and Panera Bread, that agreed to donate food, and he enlisted volunteers to make food deliveries to homeless shelters. After RLC received national press attention, homeless shelters and soup kitchens in Portland, Oregon; Washington, DC; and other cities reached out to Robert for partnership advice. Two years after being founded, RLC had already distributed more than 250,000 pounds of food.

Only a year into his finance job, Robert gave up his six-figure salary to focus on RLC. 'I compared one hour of impact at J.P. Morgan to one hour at RLC, and the difference was just tremendous,' he says. The organization now reaches 16 cities around the country.

'One shelter … told us that our donations allow them to provide entire dinners for more than 300 people, three nights a week,' Robert says. 'Things like that make me glad I quit my job.' For more inspiring stories, read the 15 most heartwarming acts of kindness that happened in 2018.

The post Would You Leave a Six-Figure Job to Feed the Homeless? This 27-Year-Old Did. appeared first on Reader's Digest.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/pover...ss-this-27-year-old-did/ar-BBPHPfa?ocid=ientp

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
'Shoutout to the anonymous 6th grader for saving me a couple thousand': Driver thanks schoolgirl for leaving very detailed note on his car about bus hitting it and driving off

• Andrew Sipowicz, a baseball coach from New York, discovered his car had a dent
  • Surprised man then found a note on his windscreen from an 11-year-old pupil
  • Anonymous 6th grader of Houghton Academy, Buffalo, revealed what happened
  • Said her bus driver had plowed into the parked car and driven off in 'hit and run'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-windscreen-revealing-bus-HIT-parked-car.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Georgia Couple Finds $25,000 Cash, Returns It to Owner

Inside Edition
Stephanie Officer
5 days ago

What would you do if you found $25,000 in cash?

One Georgia couple's first instinct was to return the money.

The Rincon Police Department posted on Facebook that store owner Gautambhai Patel had lost a bag with nearly $25,000 inside, meant to be deposited in the bank.

When they started their investigation, they hoped some kind-hearted person would return the cash.

Their wish came true when Jeff and Michelle Green came across the bag and turned it in

Their caption read in part, "We always encourage citizens to do the right thing both morally and legally!"

Comments on the post commend the Greens for their honesty.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...ash-returns-it-to-owner/ar-BBPPd82?ocid=ientp

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Heartwarming moment restaurant staff come together to surprise coworker with new car after his was stolen from the parking lot at work

• The restaurant crew at Ruffino's on the River in Lafayette, Louisiana came together and gave their friend and coworker, Kea, a brand new car
  • His car had been stolen the week prior, right from the parking lot at work
  • Everyone who pitched in showed up to surprise Kea on November 28
  • The moment he learns what his work family has done for was caught on video
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ff-surprise-coworker-new-car-stolen-work.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
'She's just doing awesome': 11-year-old girl's inoperable brain tumor mysteriously disappears stumping even her doctors

• Roxli Doss, 11, from Buda, Texas, was diagnosed with a rare, inoperable brain tumor in June
  • Doctors put Roxli in radiation therapy six days a week for six weeks in the hopes of slowing the tumor's growth
  • In September, an MRI scan revealed no detectable signs of the tumor
  • Because the cancer is aggressive and can return, Roxli will undergo immunotherapy to prevent new cancer cells from growing
  • Surgeons say there are case reports of tumors spontaneously regressing but a case like Roxli's has never been documented
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...teriously-disappears-surgeons-explain-it.html