• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

The Good News Thread:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
20+ years ago I did something like this for a "special needs" fella at a local Micky Ds. I don't recall what the promotion was probably something StarWars or Peanuts (Snoopy, maybe I'm a Snoopy fan).
Anyway the young fella mentioned how cool this thing was so I gave it to him.
A manager came running out at the young guy and I jumped square into him with both feet. I told the manager the employee did not ask for it and I wanted the fella to have it. " Well its against store policy-"" ONLY if YOU make it an ISSUE" I said back.
"I do not want to find out you have disciplined him over something I did because I wanted too. I can find out who the Regional Supervisor is real easy if you know what I mean".
" Well, Go put it in your locker and take it home when your shift is over" the manager came back at the employee with.
The kid was still working there about two weeks later when I stopped by.
I do a good deed once in a Blue Moon.
This was one of them.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Posted here cause I consider this good news:

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Teenager solves car blind spots using a webcam and projector

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/2019-11-04-teenager-solves-blind-spots.html

As every cyclist knows, the blind spots caused by a car's roof pillars can be extremely dangerous. Although companies are working on various high-tech solutions for this problem, a 14-year-old from Pennsylvania has taken a more low-tech approach to create an ingenious fix for the issue.

Alaina Gassler of West Grove came up with the idea for the project after seeing her mother struggle with blind spots while driving. Gassler decided to put a webcam on the outer roof pillar of a car which could record everything that was masked from the driver's view. Then, she used a projector to display the live feed from the webcam onto the interior pillar, with 3D-printed parts aligning the image exactly between the window and the windshield.

The approach is startlingly effective, with the car pillars appearing almost translucent and the driver easily able to see into the blind spots even when the car is in motion. Gassler says she used reflective fabric to make the image brighter and clearer, and to reflect the image only to the driver.

For her efforts, Gassler won the top award at the Broadcom Masters science and engineering competition for middle schoolers and was awarded a $25,000 prize. With her use of fairly simple and affordable materials, her idea could eventually make its way into commercial vehicles as a standard safety feature.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
For her efforts, Gassler won the top award at the Broadcom Masters science and engineering competition for middle schoolers and was awarded a $25,000 prize.
And the auto makers are already pirating the idea ( Is My Bet). $25,000.00 prize from the competition, but worth millions in royalties more to the auto market.
I hope she has applied for patents.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Chevy Pickup trucks have this for your trailer. Makes your trailer invisible to you so you can see what's behind it

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Kanye West's Sunday Services

https://fxn.ws/32EA9BW -- Jonathan Morris: I went to Kayne West's church - here's what I saw and heard...

Last edited:

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Boy, 11, uses grandpa's 39-year-old rifle to shoot 22-point buck

Sadly, I'm waiting for the backlash. Anyone want to place a bet on whether or not he gets kicked out of school?

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Kevin Sheat didn't grow up hunting deer.

"When I got older, I decided I needed deer meat when my kids were growing up," Sheat recalled. "I bought a rifle and started hunting to put meat on our table."

Fast-forward 39 years, and you'd find Kevin with his grandson, Kaden, 11, both of Lamar, Missouri, sitting in a pop-up blind on opening day of Missouri's youth hunt a few weeks ago.

Cradled in Kaden's arms was Grandpa's Remington Model 700 .243-caliber rifle — the same gun he had bought nearly four decades ago. What happened next got both of their hearts beating fast.

"We saw a big deer coming across the neighbor's pasture, so I started grunting pretty aggressively and he came back our way," Kevin said. "He just happened to come by. I've got cameras back there but I've never seen him."

Young Kaden watched the deer through the rifle's scope.

He has killed four deer before — his biggest an 8-point last year — but never had a chance at a buck this big.

"I was very excited and shaky," Kaden recalled. "I was trying to find a comfortable spot for the rifle so I could kill it."

When the buck stepped out, Kaden tried to get the gun on it but couldn’t hold steady enough to make a solid shot since he was so excited. That made his grandpa proud that the youngster wasn’t willing to shoot without feeling confident in his shot.

They set a backpack up on a stool to help steady the rear of the gun and used a shooting stick on the front of the gun to help steady it.

Kaden squeezed the trigger; the buck bolted.

"I felt like it was a really good shot," Kaden said. "It ran a ways and jumped a five-wire barbed wire fence. It took an hour and a half to find him."

The deer didn't travel far, but it dropped in an area that was hard to see as the light faded.

When they located the deer, both grandfather and grandson were surprised to see how big it was. The deer had 22 points and had a green antler score of 210 5/8.

Kaden said the big buck will become a head mount for his bedroom or his family's living room. He helped skin and butcher the deer and looks forward to his mom cooking up some tasty venison tenderloins.

Kaden said he didn't hunt on opening day of Missouri's fall firearms season last weekend. With that big buck in the freezer, he didn't need to.

"I'm done for the year," the youngster said.

Kevin Sheat said he loves taking his grandson hunting, as does Kaden's dad, Kasey Sheat.

"I've loved hunting for years and just want our youngsters to enjoy the things we enjoy, like seeing the wildlife, the turkeys and deer," he said. "That rifle that Kaden used is 39 years old and it's killed a lot of deer."

^updated^

found a way in
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hero doctor saves air passenger’s life by sucking urine from his bladder non-stop for 37 minutes mid-flight

Footage from on board a China Southern Airlines plane to New York shows Zhang Hong spring to action to help the stricken 70-year-old.

Incredible footage shows a hero doc removing nearly a liter of urine from an ailing passenger's bladder using his mouthCredit: AsiaWire

Dr Zhang Hong rushed to help the 70-year-old as his bladder got close to rupturing during a mid-air emergencyCredit: AsiaWire
Dr Zhang rushed to aid the man after he collapsed in agony and told cabin crew that he was unable to urinate.

A makeshift catheter failed to relieve the ailing passenger's blocked waterworks - leaving little time before his bladder would fatally rupture.

Vascular surgeon Dr Zhang and his colleague Dr Xiao Zhangxiang decided the only course of action was to remove the urine manually.

Dr Zhang used the improvised catheter - made using a plastic tube, syringe and a milk straw - and spent nearly 40 minutes sucking almost a liter of liquid waste from the man's bladder with his mouth.
'DOCTOR'S INSTINCT'

The selfless doc said after his life-saving heroics: "Saving lives is a doctor's instinct."

Cabin crew had issued a desperate plea for any doctors to come forward during the nine-hour flight from Guangzhou this week.

Doctors Zhang and Xiao stepped up to find the elderly man in intense pain with a bloated stomach.
RISK TO LIFE

Dr Zhang later told Chinese media: "He could not sit still and was sweating a lot.

"He was going into shock and may have suffered a risk to his life if we didn't tend to him urgently.

"His family said he had a history of prostate enlargement, so we suspected this was causing urinary retention."

1574529730006.png

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10405651/doctor-urine-bladder-flight-video/

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hero doctor saves air passenger’s life by sucking urine from his bladder non-stop for 37 minutes mid-flight

Footage from on board a China Southern Airlines plane to New York shows Zhang Hong spring to action to help the stricken 70-year-old.

Incredible footage shows a hero doc removing nearly a liter of urine from an ailing passenger's bladder using his mouthCredit: AsiaWire

Dr Zhang Hong rushed to help the 70-year-old as his bladder got close to rupturing during a mid-air emergencyCredit: AsiaWire
Dr Zhang rushed to aid the man after he collapsed in agony and told cabin crew that he was unable to urinate.

A makeshift catheter failed to relieve the ailing passenger's blocked waterworks - leaving little time before his bladder would fatally rupture.

Vascular surgeon Dr Zhang and his colleague Dr Xiao Zhangxiang decided the only course of action was to remove the urine manually.

Dr Zhang used the improvised catheter - made using a plastic tube, syringe and a milk straw - and spent nearly 40 minutes sucking almost a liter of liquid waste from the man's bladder with his mouth.
'DOCTOR'S INSTINCT'

The selfless doc said after his life-saving heroics: "Saving lives is a doctor's instinct."

Cabin crew had issued a desperate plea for any doctors to come forward during the nine-hour flight from Guangzhou this week.

Doctors Zhang and Xiao stepped up to find the elderly man in intense pain with a bloated stomach.
RISK TO LIFE

Dr Zhang later told Chinese media: "He could not sit still and was sweating a lot.

"He was going into shock and may have suffered a risk to his life if we didn't tend to him urgently.

"His family said he had a history of prostate enlargement, so we suspected this was causing urinary retention."

View attachment 147039
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10405651/doctor-urine-bladder-flight-video/
Ya don't know what ya don't know.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Video at link

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/11...l-with-christmas-decoration-it-attacked-girl/

88-year-old Ohio army vet uses toy soldier to fight off pit bull that was attacking girl
The unbelievable story unfolded in Perry Township, Ohio

Elderly Perry Township man hits pit bull with Christmas decoration as it attacked girl

By Brian Duffy | November 25, 2019 at 10:32 PM EST - Updated November 26 at 3:35 PM

STARK COUNTY, Ohio (WOIO) - Leonard Miller was in his Perry Township home, when he heard someone screaming and then pounding on his front door. Miller’s neighbor, a 13-year-old girl, told him her 10-year-old sister was being attacked by the family pit bull.

Miller, 88, grabbed a Christmas decoration, a 3-foot-tall plastic toy soldier, and ran into his neighbor’s home.

When Miller got inside, he heard the 10-year-old screaming and was horrified to see the pit bull biting the girl’s upper arm. That’s when Miller started hitting the pit bull with the toy soldier.

“It had her and was just shaking her and growling, and I hit the dog, I don’t know how many times, but it didn’t faze that dog, didn’t faze it,” Miller said.

Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting Army veteran Leonard Miller who served as a medic in the Korean War. Impressive...
Posted by Brian Duffy Cleveland 19 on Monday, November 25, 2019

“So I got it and started to hit it on the back several times and it released the little girl,” Miller said.

The girls ran out of the home and then Miller said he backed slowly out of the house making sure the dog did not attack him.

Miller called for police and an ambulance, and when the paramedics arrived, they told Miller that he had saved the young girl’s life. He was caught off guard when first responders called him a hero.

“I don’t like to be called a hero,” Miller said.

But the Army veteran, who served in the Korean War, is certainly a hero--one who stepped into a dangerous situation and made it better.

Miller said he has spoken to his neighbors and that they told her the girl was going to be OK, and that doctors were able to save her arm.

We have yet to hear what happened to the pit bull; return to this story for updates.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We have yet to hear what happened to the pit bull; return to this story for updates
Time for a nice Pitbull Rug, Wall hanger, or worm food some way "fido got to go". YMMV

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Put that pit bull on rattlesnake duty.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Put that pit bull on rattlesnake duty.
In Ohio ya might find a few Timbers in the foothills of Appalachia, Maybe a few copperheads. And the rare Eastern Massasauga Rattler in swampy areas around Lake Erie.
When I was a kid the Air Force found Massasaugas in a swampy area of Wright-Patterson A.F.B.
Not too many poisonous snakes in the Buckeye State.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Not too many poisonous snakes in the Buckeye State.
Okay, put that dog on some dangerous duty where he can redeem himself. I don't like killing, but it is part of living. Let the dog pay his dues.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Okay, put that dog on some dangerous duty where he can redeem himself. I don't like killing, but it is part of living. Let the dog pay his dues.
Sorry, But I am a firm believer in killing any animal that has tasted human blood.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Aggressive Turkey Stops Cop From Giving Speeding Ticket

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
real good news up here in the north country,

we are a week away from the shortest day of the year, and then we start gaining daylight again,

good stuff

^updated^

found a way in
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
real good news up here in the north country,

we are a week away from the shortest day of the year, and then we start gaining daylight again,

good stuff
the good stuff has already started for me.

Sunset later in the evening starting the 10th.

2019-12-14_204742.png

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Coffee shop owner closes for the day to work for terminally ill competitor

When Dave McAdams was diagnosed with terminal cancer, The Local Coffee Company which he opened with his wife Tina, had been in business for less than a year.

Upon learning Dave’s diagnosis, Tina wanted to spend every moment possible with him; when he recently went into hospice, that desire only grew. Help in achieving that goal came from another local coffeeshop owner in Oak Grove, Oregon. Pixie Adams, the owner of Moonlight Coffeehouse, decided to close down her shop for a day to help run The Local Coffee Company and fundraise for the couple's business and medical needs.

On Wednesday, Adams locked the doors at her own shop and headed over to The Local Coffee Company to work. She also created the “Moonlight Takeover Fundraiser” on social media to advertise the event. “If you don’t know, Dave McAdams has spent years working to support the local Oak Grove and Milwaukie communities through volunteer work, non-profit work, sports coaching and sadly, is now in hospice care as he bravely faces a terminal cancer diagnosis. And that mean their family needs our help!” the notice read.

“I think they thought it was a little crazy,” Adams tells Yahoo Lifestyle

Full story at the link:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/loc...p-coffee-competitor-in-hospice-231012745.html

^updated^

found a way in
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Buddy - a German Shepherd in Alaska was sent looking for help for his family. Their shed had caught on fire and was out of control. A trooper on patrol was dispatched to the area but couldn't find the fire due to a faulty GPS. He came across Buddy and followed him. Buddy led him to the shed fire and they were able to get it under control before it spread to the house. Buddy received a "silver bowl" award and citation! Good puppers!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Great neighbors!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
'That's What You Call a Happy Ending': Colorado Wildlife Officials Remove Hammock From Elk's Antlers

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials near Denver removed a hammock that was caught on a bull elk’s antlers and jaw on January 27.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife shared this footage of a bull elk walking around Evergreen with hammock ropes hanging from his antlers. The footage goes on to show a wildlife employee cutting the rope to free the animal. One of the rangers comments in the video that the hammock was obstructing the elk’s jaw.

Local media reports said officials used a tranquilizer to sedate the elk. After the rope was removed, the elk was tagged and given reversal drugs to regain full consciousness.

“The bull was back up feeding and interacting with other bulls within 27 minutes,” Colorado Parks and Wildlife said on Twitter.

“That’s what you call a happy ending,” one of the officials says in the video.