• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Last of my Elders DIED

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
As I was reading GIM2 this morning I got a text from my middle brother asking me if I knew our uncle ( mom's side) passed away yesterday afternoon. I had not. The word did not get out until 11:45pm last night so I went through my emails and there it was.
Coming from "a broken home" my grandfather was THE father figure in my youth with my uncle being #2 . I always reverenced him with his title "Uncle" even at 64+ yrs old I held him in esteem.
It hurts more so as he was the last of that generation of mine, on both sides.
In my 5th grade year I put my hand through a pane of glass in a door frame at school. My hand slipped off the wood onto the glass and my hand went through. Just a few weeks earlier I had a similar accident with a window and did not get cut. So I did not think anything about it. Half way back to class noticed blood on the ground and asked my buddy if he got cut by the glass "NO". I then looked at my hand and my little finger had a gush of blood at the base of it.
Mom was working and could not get there quickly. She called my grandfather's grocery store and grandpa sent "Uncle Jack" to get me and take me to a doctor the family knew. "Another 16th of an inch you'd have lost that finger" the doctor said as he was stitching muscles and then the skin back together. I kept my finger but to this day the nerves on the outside of the finger are numb compared to the inside of the pinky. Later on when playing baseball if I caught the ball wrong it shoot pain from that little finger clear up my arm. But I had my finger.
After the store would close at 10pm me and my uncle would go night fishing for a few hours at private gravel pit that later became the Dayton Hydro-bowl for speedboats. The lake was patrolled by security as nobody was allowed to fish there at the time. We'd hide between rock outcrops or down in big cement culvert that fed more water into the lake. We caught alot of nice size bass and cat fish and occasionally get BUSTED because some security would leave there car and walk the shore line at times.
They would just run us off and we call it a night keeping our bounty of fish for a supper later in the week.
My grandfather and"Uncle Jack" were the best Dads a boy could have when the real dad could not or would not be around.
LAST NOTE: I was going to bet the KY Derby today, my little family tradition. Getting this news took it out of me. BUT my oldest son was going through today's races. The SECOND race has a horse running MY BOY JACK. I gave my son $15.00 to bet 5 across the board on MY BOY JACK simply in honor of my late uncle.
The last of my Elders.

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Sorry for your loss.
My family has never been close, so outta touch that I don't know if any of my aunts & uncles are still living or not.
Your uncle sounds like he was a good man, I'm sure you're not the only one missing him.

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Hang onto your memories, & keep making more. The older I get the more important family and memories become.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Condolences for the loss of your Uncle. He sounds like a good man.

My mom and dad would be 104 and 106 this year.

All their siblings have passed.

Now it’s my generations turn.

Just me , two brothers and a sister in her 80’s out of 13 kids , we are left.

And time marches on.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Sorry for your loss.

I put $10 to win on My Boy Jack.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
As I was reading GIM2 this morning I got a text from my middle brother asking me if I knew our uncle ( mom's side) passed away yesterday afternoon. I had not. The word did not get out until 11:45pm last night so I went through my emails and there it was.
Coming from "a broken home" my grandfather was THE father figure in my youth with my uncle being #2 . I always reverenced him with his title "Uncle" even at 64+ yrs old I held him in esteem.
It hurts more so as he was the last of that generation of mine, on both sides.
In my 5th grade year I put my hand through a pane of glass in a door frame at school. My hand slipped off the wood onto the glass and my hand went through. Just a few weeks earlier I had a similar accident with a window and did not get cut. So I did not think anything about it. Half way back to class noticed blood on the ground and asked my buddy if he got cut by the glass "NO". I then looked at my hand and my little finger had a gush of blood at the base of it.
Mom was working and could not get there quickly. She called my grandfather's grocery store and grandpa sent "Uncle Jack" to get me and take me to a doctor the family knew. "Another 16th of an inch you'd have lost that finger" the doctor said as he was stitching muscles and then the skin back together. I kept my finger but to this day the nerves on the outside of the finger are numb compared to the inside of the pinky. Later on when playing baseball if I caught the ball wrong it shoot pain from that little finger clear up my arm. But I had my finger.
After the store would close at 10pm me and my uncle would go night fishing for a few hours at private gravel pit that later became the Dayton Hydro-bowl for speedboats. The lake was patrolled by security as nobody was allowed to fish there at the time. We'd hide between rock outcrops or down in big cement culvert that fed more water into the lake. We caught alot of nice size bass and cat fish and occasionally get BUSTED because some security would leave there car and walk the shore line at times.
They would just run us off and we call it a night keeping our bounty of fish for a supper later in the week.
My grandfather and"Uncle Jack" were the best Dads a boy could have when the real dad could not or would not be around.
LAST NOTE: I was going to bet the KY Derby today, my little family tradition. Getting this news took it out of me. BUT my oldest son was going through today's races. The SECOND race has a horse running MY BOY JACK. I gave my son $15.00 to bet 5 across the board on MY BOY JACK simply in honor of my late uncle.
The last of my Elders.
So sorry for your loss!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Condolences.

I get the family dynamic.

We didn't all come from the Ozzie & Harriet TV model home....

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My brother, sister and I + a cousin are the oldest generation still alive since the last of the previous died about 4 years ago. And last week we found out that my younger sister has cancer. Really sucks since we were counting on her to keep things together, she is the center.

Good luck to you.

ABC123

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
God bless you and your family. Death has a way to bring all things in perspective.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Condolences, Brick. I was very fortunate to have good parents growing up, who got me through some tough times, not of my own making. But, I was doubly blessed to have great grandparents, also and uncles and aunts of good moral character, that I got to spend significant amounts of time with. Just one good uncle can have a significant impact on a person’s life. May he Rest In Peace.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
they will always be around as long as you have those memories!

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing GOLDBRIX and strength to you when you need it.

Golden Regards
Uncle

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
We had our last goodbyes today in a little Nazarene church close to his house today. My brother ConantheLibertarian and I got up and spoke on our relationships with our Uncle Jack. Conan setup the relationship we had with being boys growing up in a "broken home" in the 60s and the stigma in those times. How our grandfather was our main father-figure and Uncle Jack being right there too. How the grocery store expanded customers to friends and friends to family. The store gave credit out when customers were having hard times. " Just pay us when you get back to work" and "We'll start a tab for you." would be heard on occasion between the family & customer in low volumes. Some would ask if they "could work it off" doing what they could in barter. One or two became full-time employees one eventually made Assistant Manager working back and forth between the two stores at the time.
Yes, there were some that took the kindness as weakness one time and NEVER CAME BACK. But far more were appreciative and made good. My brother even had a story about being in the middle of the pacific ocean on an aircraft carrier striking up a conversation with an "AiR-dale" (tarmac/flight deck crew). Found out the crew member was from the Dayton, Ohio area and he knew the store and played baseball as a little kid for the little league team the store sponsored. In the middle of the Pacific and somebody knows of your family in Dayton, Ohio( WOW!!).
I told the finger story, the fishing adventures and busts, talked about his black VW bug w/ the aircooled engine and we'd be freezing when running to get an emergency supply of produce at the downtown Dayton markets. ( It did help keep the produce fresher longer).
I doubled back on fishing. Uncle jack had fishing buddies that planned a yearly trip to Lake Cumberland for a week of crappie fishing, and how great the fishing was there and them all bringing back large amounts of fish for just a few days.
The irony I learned after moving down to Central Kentucky in '81. - While Buckeyes loved to come fish at Lake Cumberland, Kentucky fisherman loved to go the Lake Weese{sp?] Alabama for their crappie fishing. That was so ironic I felt.
The preacher thanked us for speaking and fleshing out who our uncle was and what we came from, and how we treated our fellow man.
"Conan" made a point at the end of his tribute that I have reflected on at every funeral I have ever attended. "I see the church is packed to pay their respects to Uncle Jack and Thank You All" he said. "I only hope that when it is my turn to go home I have just half the turn-out as here. Will I be remembered by just half "?
Maybe every male has that go through his mind. IDK

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
GOLBRIX, while you may have lost something, you have gained a lot more. It's a privilege to give a eulogy. Just don't wait until after a person is gone to let them know how much we appreciate them. I still to this day, 43 years after my dad passed and 17 after my mom died, wish I could have done more for them. With them. Life can get busy. I'd like to think they'd understand. If nothing else, not having them around gave me the appreciation of having my own family and friends. While some people can be total jerks, I still learn from them too.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I raise a beer to you and ur uncle Jack and ur dad, as I too have headed to the next in line to die. It's tuff but you have to know that all we leave is memories and I think they best be good ones like you have.

Hystckndle

CONFORMADAPTKICKSOMEASS!!!
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
We had our last goodbyes today in a little Nazarene church close to his house today. My brother ConantheLibertarian and I got up and spoke on our relationships with our Uncle Jack. Conan setup the relationship we had with being boys growing up in a "broken home" in the 60s and the stigma in those times. How our grandfather was our main father-figure and Uncle Jack being right there too. How the grocery store expanded customers to friends and friends to family. The store gave credit out when customers were having hard times. " Just pay us when you get back to work" and "We'll start a tab for you." would be heard on occasion between the family & customer in low volumes. Some would ask if they "could work it off" doing what they could in barter. One or two became full-time employees one eventually made Assistant Manager working back and forth between the two stores at the time.
Yes, there were some that took the kindness as weakness one time and NEVER CAME BACK. But far more were appreciative and made good. My brother even had a story about being in the middle of the pacific ocean on an aircraft carrier striking up a conversation with an "AiR-dale" (tarmac/flight deck crew). Found out the crew member was from the Dayton, Ohio area and he knew the store and played baseball as a little kid for the little league team the store sponsored. In the middle of the Pacific and somebody knows of your family in Dayton, Ohio( WOW!!).
I told the finger story, the fishing adventures and busts, talked about his black VW bug w/ the aircooled engine and we'd be freezing when running to get an emergency supply of produce at the downtown Dayton markets. ( It did help keep the produce fresher longer).
I doubled back on fishing. Uncle jack had fishing buddies that planned a yearly trip to Lake Cumberland for a week of crappie fishing, and how great the fishing was there and them all bringing back large amounts of fish for just a few days.
The irony I learned after moving down to Central Kentucky in '81. - While Buckeyes loved to come fish at Lake Cumberland, Kentucky fisherman loved to go the Lake Weese{sp?] Alabama for their crappie fishing. That was so ironic I felt.
The preacher thanked us for speaking and fleshing out who our uncle was and what we came from, and how we treated our fellow man.
"Conan" made a point at the end of his tribute that I have reflected on at every funeral I have ever attended. "I see the church is packed to pay their respects to Uncle Jack and Thank You All" he said. "I only hope that when it is my turn to go home I have just half the turn-out as here. Will I be remembered by just half "?
Maybe every male has that go through his mind. IDK
Nice post GB,
Thanks for that.
Regards, hang tight.
Hystck