• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

The Lunatic Fringe - Trading talk.

The bull case will argue by the time governments get around to banning bitcoin, there will be so many stakeholders in high places that there will be disincentivize to ban it. And a few nations probably are holding reserves.
The bear case is tulips.

Long and abstract, but a very good listen deconstructing the value and risks of bitcoin.

I like the idea of a small reserve as a very portable insurance. Otherwise maybe a short term trade here or there.
Can't really envision holding a large position.

I still don't get it but I think it does better than the metals.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Probably. But gold will never go to zero.
Got that right. I see a few of the Old Guard Rogers et al don't like Bitcoin. Leads me to believe we get a life changing move.

We'll never know what Buffett paid for Barrick or what he got when he sold recently but I got a laugh out of that whole thing. Bought the high sold the local low?

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Buffet is toast. I won't say value investing is dead, but there are a stunning amount of value traps out there as technology is disrupting markets faster than ever.

start of Comex Dec deliveries could toss this view in the garbage

He's just looking for a low soon maybe $100 lower. I keep hearing about the delivery thing and I figure if I know it everybody knows it and it is already priced in. IF we decline this week I am anxious to see how the miners hold up. Been wacky so you never know what the shareholders will decide.

nowon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
Unless deliveries surprise to the upside...if you read the election thread there is a growing chance that the election transition won't be smooth....that and risk of covid once again shutting down miners makes me think higher metal deliveries in Dec....2c

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Last edited:

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
The bull case will argue by the time governments get around to banning bitcoin, there will be so many stakeholders in high places that there will be disincentivize to ban it. And a few nations probably are holding reserves.
Yeah... I get that one but I think the argument is on the arrogant side. Government can force a deal of some sort. They also argue that the nations that allow BTC will see capital in-flows. I'd suggest that is true if the economy has wealth that can support it, really if it is OK with a bunch of Zimbabwe's then WTF? I know you can trade out of those currencies but then the larger economies can stop or restrict that. Frankly I just don't see how a bunch of first world economies will be forced into accepting it unless they really want it. I would love to get more clarity on that front. This could be monetary heaven and it could also be a big old honey trap.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Words to live by. On the other hand there is such a thing as opportunity cost. While you get clobbered holding other assets are flying.
Holding cash is a trade, everything is a trade. I've tried to make "friends", who consider me an 'evil trader', realize that whatever they do in life they are taking a trade and speculating on a future outcome. If you don't acknowledge that much you can't take control of your real risk and in life risk control is everything.

2c

FWIW.

From a maturing oldish fart.

Last edited:

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Unless deliveries surprise to the upside...if you read the election thread there is a growing chance that the election transition won't be smooth....that and risk of covid once again shutting down miners makes me think higher metal deliveries in Dec....2c
Basically it is how much is demanded against what real supply is actually left in the market. 20 to 30K contracts could be a problem after this year OR the market may not even feel it.

It all depends on the unknowable, who is short and what do they have, who is long and what do they want!

5K contracts is an issue if there isn't a real 5K contracts on the table.

100K contracts isn't a problem if the short sellers are solid gold.

So we wait and see.

I can't see that the case for gold has altered significantly so I assume tight supply.... but we c.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Australia actively considering WTO action against China

Hmmmmmm.... the relationship has hit a rocky patch. We aren't so good at placating bullies, it isn't in the national character.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
We are living through the death of old MSM. This is a part of why we are seeing what we are seeing from them. They struggle to remain relevant...

Last edited: