• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Media & Trump

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Searcher -- You can do as you like.

But your thinking would put the Pearl Harbor attack under the headline:

Pearl Harbor's War On The Japanese

and in the case of Dachau, Belsen-Bergen, Sobibor, your title headline would have to be:

Jews' War On Death Camps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "War", Searcher, has been FROM the media ATTACKING Trump.

Or have you not yet noticed? 97% negative mean anything to you?

Sorry if I have offended, but I am sore, miserable, and not able to absorb shit-stupidity today.

You haven't offended me at all.

Started the thread because I believe the stuff going on now is simply a prelude to a full blow war between Trump and the media and it's kinda fun to watch it happen.

If you really think the thread is shit-stupidity why are you reading it and posting in it? If I see a thread and I don't care for the title, subject matter or the member who started the thread I'm long gone. Not wasting any of my time in it. That would be insane.

BTW...……….I really don't take this seriously. It's fun to watch Trump go stone nuts when he's asked questions that he doesn't like or that will catch him in a lie. He's doing this to himself. The media is just reporting it. It's what they do.

Can't wait to see what happens today. Might be good.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
The Media. That was a pretty antennae you have there. It would be a shame if something happened to it.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Counsel for CNN explains grounds for lawsuit
CNN

Published on Nov 13, 2018
Ted Boutrous, counsel for CNN in its lawsuit against President Trump and several of his top aides, explains the rounds for CNN's suit against the government.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
CNN sues White House and demands Trump administration give Jim Acosta his credentials back after he was banned for clashing with intern over press conference microphone

• Acosta was denied access to the White House last week and his pass was confiscated after a heated press-conference shouting match with Trump
  • It ended with brief physical contact with a female intern who tried to take the microphone
  • On Friday Trump told DailyMail.com as he left the White House that he hasn't decided how long Acosta will be without a press pass, and more bans may follow
  • CNN sued after the White House took away Acosta's Secret Service issued 'hard pass'
  • President Trump, his chief of staff, Sarah Sanders, and top aides are named in the suit
  • Former George W. Bush lawyer Ted Olson is representing CNN in the suit
  • Cites Acosta's First and Fifth Amendment rights and seeks restraining order
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rump-demanding-return-Acosta-White-House.html

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
BTW...……….I really don't take this seriously. It's fun to watch Trump go stone nuts when he's asked questions that he doesn't like or that will catch him in a lie.
At what point did he do that? He and Acosta had an exchange and Trump explained that he and Acosta had a difference of opinion. Then he wanted to end the exchange, but Acosta kept trying to keep the mic. His turn was over and Trump was trying to let someone else ask a question, but at what point did he go nutz because he was asked a question that would catch him in a lie?
Myself, I don't see any issue with Trump's side of this exchange, at all. What I do see is Acosta lay his hand on the intern in order to keep the mic.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
At what point did he do that? He and Acosta had an exchange and Trump explained that he and Acosta had a difference of opinion. Then he wanted to end the exchange, but Acosta kept trying to keep the mic. His turn was over and Trump was trying to let someone else ask a question, but at what point did he go nutz because he was asked a question that would catch him in a lie?
Myself, I don't see any issue with Trump's side of this exchange, at all. What I do see is Acosta lay his hand on the intern in order to keep the mic.

I guess it's on how you perceive it.

Been thinking about the suit. Be funny if Trump (W/H) lost and Acosta goes back and asks Trump the same questions that started the whole thing.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I guess it's on how you perceive it.
I perceive it how it's shown in the vid. Ie: that they had a difference of opinion as to what constitutes an invasion and then Trump wanted to let someone else ask a question, but Acosta rudely refused to relinquish the mic and used his hand to push her arm away. How else is there to perceive it? Are you seeing something different?

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
I perceive it how it's shown in the vid. Ie: that they had a difference of opinion as to what constitutes an invasion and then Trump wanted to let someone else ask a question, but Acosta rudely refused to relinquish the mic and used his hand to push her arm away. How else is there to perceive it? Are you seeing something different?
In the past Trump has said he didn't care for Acosta and didn't like his reporting. I believe he simply doesn't like questions that could put him on a spot and let his personal feelings to come into play during the exchange. He could have handled it more diplomatically but he didn't. And here we are. He doesn't seem to understand that some one in his position needs to exercise decorum when dealing with the press or anyone else.

the_shootist

Molon Labe! Deplorable Dreg!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
In the past Trump has said he didn't care for Acosta and didn't like his reporting. I believe he simply doesn't like questions that could put him on a spot and let his personal feelings to come into play during the exchange. He could have handled it more diplomatically but he didn't. And here we are. He doesn't seem to understand that some one in his position needs to exercise decorum when dealing with the press or anyone else.
It would be great if the press was a bit more diplomatic with Trump once in a while too instead of attacking him 24/7/365 like rabid dogs.

Last edited:

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
White House blasts 'grandstanding' CNN for lawsuit demanding Jim Acosta get back his press credentials after he was banned for clashing with female intern over press conference microphone

• White House denied Acosta access last week and confiscated his 'hard pass' after a heated press-conference shouting match with Trump
  • The clash ended with brief physical contact with a female intern who tried to take the microphone
  • CNN sued on Tuesday on First Amendment grounds, claimed Acosta was denied a Fifth Amendent right to due process, and asked a judge for a restraining order
  • On Friday Trump told DailyMail.com as he left the White House that he hasn't decided how long Acosta will be without credentials, and more bans may follow
  • The suit names Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders and other aides, along with the Secret Service officer who took the press pass
  • Former George W. Bush lawyer Ted Olson is representing CNN
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rump-demanding-return-Acosta-White-House.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The White House is changing its tune on why it yanked Jim Acosta’s press pass

Washington Post
Aaron Blake
39 mins ago

CNN announced Tuesday that it will sue the White House over reporter Jim Acosta’s press pass being revoked. Importantly, the White House now seems to be changing its tune about exactly why it sanctioned Acosta.

In a statement Tuesday morning, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders suggested that the decision was about Acosta refusing to yield the microphone while questioning the president:

We have been advised that CNN has filed a complaint challenging the suspension of Jim Acosta’s hard pass. This is just more grandstanding from CNN, and we will vigorously defend against this lawsuit.
CNN, who has nearly 50 additional hard pass holders, and Mr. Acosta is no more or less special than any other media outlet or reporter with respect to the First Amendment. After Mr. Acosta asked the President two questions — each of which the President answered — he physically refused to surrender a White House microphone to an intern, so that other reporters might ask their questions. This was not the first time this reporter has inappropriately refused to yield to other reporters.
The White House cannot run an orderly and fair press conference when a reporter acts this way, which is neither appropriate nor professional. The First Amendment is not served when a single reporter, of more than 150 present, attempts to monopolize the floor. If there is no check on this type of behavior it impedes the ability of the President, the White House staff, and members of the media to conduct business.”

But that’s different from the initial justifications offered by the White House for revoking Acosta’s press pass. Less than a week ago, it was primarily about him supposedly placing his hands on and getting too rough with an intern.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

Sanders said at the time that the White House would “never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman.” Only after that was mentioned did Sanders add as an addendum: “It is also completely disrespectful to the reporter’s colleagues not to allow them an opportunity to ask a question.”

The day after the altercation, White House director of strategic communications Mercedes Schlapp doubled down on the idea that Acosta was being punished for an alleged physical altercation.

“Look, I think it’s important to show that Jim Acosta did place his hands on this White House staffer,” Schlapp said on Fox News. “She’s young, she was shaken up, she was intimidated by what Jim Acosta did. What we are seeing is bad behavior that cannot be tolerated and, in fact, there’s been several reporters who have shared their viewpoints about — privately about Jim Acosta where he’s being so disrespectful that other reporters don’t have a chance to ask a question. This behavior is not going to be tolerated.”

Again, Schlapp seemed to suggest that the alleged journalistic sin was secondary and that it was really about what Acosta did to the intern.

By this time, of course, it had been established that not only did the video of the incident not show Acosta placing his hands on the intern but that Sanders herself shared a doctored video of it that was sped up to make Acosta’s movement look more aggressive than it was.

Faced with that evidence, Sanders on Thursday again defended the decision in the context of the altercation, rather than Acosta simply hogging the microphone.

“The question is: Did the reporter make contact or not?” Sanders said. “The video is clear — he did. We stand by our statement.”

By Friday, President Trump himself was still litigating the video. “Nobody manipulated it. Give me a break,” he said. “See, that’s just dishonest reporting. All that p a close-up. See, that’s just — that is just dishonest reporting. I watched that. I heard that last night. They made it close up. They showed it close up, and he was not nice to that young woman.”

The new White House statement does say that Acosta “physically refused to surrender a White House microphone to an intern.” But that’s not accusing him of violence or placing his hands on the intern. That could simply be him refusing to let go. The statement is also completely different from the initial ones in its emphasis on Acosta’s alleged journalistic sins.

So why no mention of Acosta’s allegedly violent behavior in the latest statement? Possibly because the White House recognizes that, while the argument that Acosta was being violent might wash with the president’s base, basically, no court would ever agree. The alleged assault simply isn’t there, and the fact that the White House needed to use sped-up video — what can only be called propaganda — to bolster its point shows how shaky the foundations of the decision were.

That the White House isn’t sticking with that justification when faced with legal action shows how dodgy it was to begin with.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-white-house-is-changing-its-tune-on-why-it-yanked-jim-acosta’s-press-pass/ar-BBPFHs9?ocid=ientp

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
CrossTalk: Media Unhinged
RT

Published on Nov 14, 2018
Have the media become unhinged in the era of Trump? The president’s most ardent critics in the media hang on his every word. News cycle after news cycle are all about Trump – and much of this coverage is negative. Has journalism lost its purpose? Are journalists now nothing more than ideological advocates?

CrossTalking with Roger L. Simon, Joe Concha, and Charles Ortel.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Fox News Joins CNN In Lawsuit Against Trump White House

by Tyler Durden
Wed, 11/14/2018 - 11:14

Update: NBC WILL BE JOINING AMICUS BRIEF SUPPORTING CNN: CNN

Fox News said it is supporting CNN's lawsuit to regain White House reporter, Jim Acosta’s, press credentials, and has filed an amicus brief in the case, Bloomberg reports citing an emailed statement from Fox News president Jay Wallace.

"FOX News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter’s press credential. We intend to file an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court.​

Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized. While we don’t condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the President and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people."​
As we reported yesterday, CNN - which accused Trump of an “unabashed attempt to censor the press” by banning Acosta who has gained notoriety for his aggressive questioning of the president - filed their suit in DC District Court on Tuesday, saying the banning of Acosta is a violation of constitutional press freedoms and his rights to due process. Multiple reporters and journalistic organizations have expressed solidarity with CNN, even as the White House refers to the suit as “grandstanding” in their promise to fight it.

Several Fox News personalities spoke about the Acosta lawsuit in the midst of Tuesday’s news flurry. Judge Andrew Napolitano says CNN has a “very good case” to mount against the White House, though Acosta was thoroughly lambasted by Sean Hannity and Fox’s panelists on The Five.

Meanwhile, in response to CNN's lawsuit, the Trump Administration denied CNN’s legal claims that revoking the White House press pass of correspondent Jim Acosta violated his First Amendment rights to report freely on the government. The Justice Department filed a response Wednesday to CNN’s lawsuit hours ahead of a hearing in federal court in Washington.

And with neither side willing to concede, one wonders if the legal fight between CNN and the White House will eventually end up before the Supreme Court.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-14/fox-news-joins-cnn-lawsuit-against-trump-white-house

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Just heard Trump's peeps filed papers in court saying that it's Trump's house and he can pick and choose who he lets in. Also a whole lotta other news agencies filing papers to support CNN & Acosta.

Could be interesting.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Have the media become unhinged in the era of Trump?
Appears that way to me. If in their view he can't even feed the fish right, would they ever think he can do anything right? I don't think so.
....but yet we never heard one word about him being racis' or anything else until he decided to run against their choice for POTUS and showed himself to be a real contender for the job.

Bottom line Search, they're against him and they let that fact cloud their reporting of him. Ie: everything is spun to the negative, no matter what it is. Edited to add: It's their attempt at gaslighting their viewers to be against him too.

Last edited:

the_shootist

Molon Labe! Deplorable Dreg!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Trump seeks to land blow against media in court fight with CNN

Politico
By Michael Calderone and Jason Schwartz
7 hrs ago

Donald Trump sought Wednesday to land a massive blow in his long-fought battle against the news media, with administration lawyers asserting in court that the president could bar “all reporters” from the White House complex for any reason he sees fit.

The sweeping claim, which came in the first public hearing over CNN’s lawsuit to restore correspondent Jim Acosta’s White House credentials, could have a dramatic impact on news organizations’ access to government officials if it is upheld in court.

CNN argued in its lawsuit filed Tuesday that the White House infringed on Acosta's First Amendment rights by revoking his access in response to a dispute over a press conference last week.

But Trump’s lawyers replied Wednesday in a legal filing that he has “broad discretion” to police journalists’ access to the White House.

“If the president wants to exclude all reporters from the White House grounds, he has the authority to do that,” Deputy Assistant Attorney General James Burnham said during the hearing in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. “There’s no First Amendment right.”

Judge Timothy Kelly postponed until Thursday a decision on whether to at least temporarily restore Acosta’s press pass. But the arguments Wednesday represented a significant escalation in Trump’s fight against the media, with more than a dozen news organizations, including POLITICO, weighing in on CNN’s side.

Trump has long argued that coverage of his administration is unfair, and CNN has been a favorite target. Even before he took office, the president referred to Acosta as “fake news” at a press conference and refused to take questions from him. The White House also has substantially curtailed the number of briefings by press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

But reporters have retained access to the White House and traveled with the president, and before last week, revoking a journalist’s hard pass — the badge that lets them enter and exit the complex freely — was virtually unheard-of.

The White House said last Wednesday it was pulling Acosta’s access after he repeatedly tried to ask Trump questions at a press conference, even after the president dismissed him, and briefly refused to let a White House aide pull a microphone out of his hand. CNN on Tuesday asked a judge to temporarily restore Acosta's credentials and declare that the administration's actions were unconstitutional, saying Trump was punishing the network for its coverage of him and not for any action on Acosta’s part.

Ted Boutrous of Gibson and Dunn, who represented CNN and Acosta, said Wednesday that the White House’s decision was “part of a campaign” against Acosta, citing previous tweets and incidents in which Trump had insulted the reporter. He said under the White House’s logic, the president could bar reporters for any reason, including a “fit of pique.”

He also argued that Acosta, who was present for the hearing, was not afforded “due process” because he was not told his pass would be revoked beforehand or given a way to appeal the decision before he was prevented from entering White House grounds. He requested a two-week preliminary return of Acosta’s pass while the process moved forward.

A 1977 D.C. Circuit court ruling held that the government cannot deny a White House hard pass “arbitrarily or for less than compelling reasons” and must follow a clear process to do it. Kelly noted during the hearing that he would be bound by that court’s decision in issuing a ruling, and Boutrous cited the case repeatedly in his arguments.

Burnham, arguing for the White House, acknowledged that the administration had dropped its initial argument against Acosta: That he had inappropriately touched a White House aide who tried to take a microphone away from him at the press conference.

But he said Acosta’s behavior at the press conference still justified his expulsion, saying his repeated attempts to question the president after Trump tried to move on were “disruptive.” And in response to questions from Kelly, he said the administration would be justified in pulling a hard pass because of disputes over reporting, saying barring a reporter from a press conference was no different than refusing to grant them a private interview.

Kelly, a Trump appointee, seemed skeptical of some of CNN's arguments and appeared to agree that Acosta had been disruptive at the press conference. Boutrous responded that Trump set a tone of rudeness. “He is the most aggressive, dare I say rude, person in the room,” Boutros said. “[If] President Trump wants it to be a free-for-all, that’s his prerogative.”

The White House argued in its legal filing Wednesday that because it has granted hard passes to many other CNN employees, the network cannot say its coverage led to Acosta’s expulsion. The 28-page document mentioned six times that 50 CNN employees have hard passes. Boutrous pointed out that most of those employees are technicians and photographers, part of the large staff a TV network maintains to cover events live at the White House.

Reporters have denounced the decision to pull Acosta's access. Thirteen news organizations including Fox News, NBC and POLITICO announced Wednesday they would file amicus briefs supporting CNN's lawsuit.

"It is imperative that independent journalists have access to the President and his activities, and that journalists are not barred for arbitrary reasons. Our news organizations support the fundamental constitutional right to question this President, or any President," a joint statement from the news organizations said.

Meanwhile, on CNN, coverage appeared to be business-as-usual Wednesday.

CNN White House reporters Jeff Zeleny and Kaitlan Collins reported live from outside the White House on the latest West Wing personnel turmoil, neither of them mentioning the court hearing playing out across the town.

“In many ways, we’re compartmentalizing our coverage,” a CNN source told POLITICO. White House reporters will continue focusing on what’s happening at the White House, this person said, while other CNN journalists cover the lawsuit.

“The president of the United States is the most important person we cover,” the source added. “We will cover the president as we always have. We will cover him thoroughly. It’s business as usual as our coverage goes.”

A second CNN source said network president Jeff Zucker believes the press access fight is “an important story” but isn’t over-covering it as “he wants to be very careful not to weaponize the network.”

CNN appeared to focus more Wednesday on wildfires in California and post-midterms fallout in Washington than the lawsuit. But the network did turn to chief media correspondent Brian Stelter for updates and Jeffrey Toobin for analysis on the court proceedings.

White House officials, meanwhile, have largely been tight-lipped about the lawsuit, although Trump told the Daily Caller in an interview published Wednesday that Acosta was “bad for the country.”

And the president’s 2020 reelection campaign sent out a fundraising email asking recipients whether they think the White House made the right decision to revoke Acosta’s pass.

“President Trump will NOT put up with the media’s liberal bias and utter disrespect for this Administration and the hardworking Americans who stand with us,” the email read.

Matthew Choi contributed to this report.

CORRECTION: The title of Deputy Assistant Attorney General James Burnham was incorrect in an earlier version of this article.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...in-court-fight-with-cnn/ar-BBPHXUA?ocid=ientp

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
'What, like they're going to hate us more?' White House says it would be legal to ban 'all reporters' from entering the building as government lawyers defend Trump's decision to boot CNN's Jim Acosta

• White House denied Acosta access last week and confiscated his 'hard pass' after press-conference shouting match with Trump and tussle over a mic
  • CNN sued on Tuesday on First Amendment grounds, claimed Acosta was denied a Fifth Amendent right to due process, and asked a judge for a restraining order
  • On Friday Trump told DailyMail.com that he hasn't decided how long Acosta will be without credentials, and more bans may follow
  • The White House fired back in court on Wednesday, saying that reporters don't have a First Amendment right to enter the White House on-demand
  • One lawyer argued that 'if the president wants to exclude all reporters from the White House grounds, he has the authority to do that'
  • A White House official told DailyMail.com that the administration isn't worried about how journalists would react: 'What, like they're going to hate us more?'
  • Administration says it can choose who enters, just as it chooses who gets interviews, who attends press conferences and whose questions Trump answers
  • CNN still has about 50 employees with hard passes, and Acosta has still appeared on the air
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...legal-ban-reporters-entering-White-House.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Judge's decision in CNN lawsuit postponed until Friday

Politico
By Rebecca Morin
8 mins ago

A federal judge said Thursday he would take another day to decide whether to at least temporarily restore CNN correspondent Jim Acosta's White House credentials, extending the drama over the network's lawsuit against President Donald Trump until Friday.

U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Kelly postponed a decision, which had been scheduled for Thursday after a hearing Wednesday.

CNN filed a lawsuit against Trump after Acosta's press pass was revoked following a heated press conference exchange with the president, in which Acosta briefly refused to give up the microphone as a White House aide tried to pull it from his hands.

The White House has argued that the president has the power to limit any reporter's access. CNN countered that the White House was unfairly punishing Acosta for his coverage and said the administration did not follow appropriate steps to revoke his security credentials.

Many news organizations, including POLITICO, have supported CNN in its lawsuit.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...-postponed-until-friday/ar-BBPKvKz?ocid=ientp

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
tCslHuH[1].jpg

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
BREAKING NEWS: Federal judge restores CNN's Jim Acosta's White House press pass as he humiliates Trump saying claim reporter 'placed his hands' on female intern was of 'questionable accuracy'

• White House denied Acosta access last week and confiscated his 'hard pass' after press-conference shouting match with Trump and tussle over a mic
  • That order was granted Friday by federal judge Timothy Kelly, a Trump appointee
  • He said he wasn't ruling on the First Amendment claim – only on the argument that Acosta's Fifth Amendment rights were violated
  • Acosta wasn't given a chance to defend himself, and government lawyers couldn't say who made the decision to ban him
  • Judge said ruling was temporary but gave CNN what it wanted in the short term
  • Blasted the administration for 'questionable accuracy' of claim that Acosta put his hands on a female intern as she reclaimed a press conference microphone
  • But while he ordered the White House to let Acosta back in the building, he said Trump and his spokespeople aren't obligated to let him ask questions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-CNNs-Jim-Acostas-White-House-press-pass.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Jim has his press pass and is back inside.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
'People have to behave!' Trump tells reporters he'll ultimately beat CNN's Jim Acosta in court after judge orders White House to restore press pass – and warns he can end his press conferences early if journalists don't have 'decorum'

• That order was granted Friday by federal judge Timothy Kelly, a Trump appointee
  • He said he wasn't ruling on the First Amendment claim – only on the argument that Acosta's Fifth Amendment rights were violated
  • Acosta wasn't given a chance to defend himself before his pass was yanked, and government lawyers couldn't say who made the decision to ban him
  • Judge said ruling was temporary but gave CNN what it wanted in the short term
  • Blasted the administration for 'questionable accuracy' of claim that Acosta put his hands on a female intern as she reclaimed a press conference microphone
  • But while he ordered the White House to let Acosta back in the building, he said Trump and his spokespeople aren't obligated to let him ask questions
  • Acosta returned to the White House hours later, and Trump warned that it was just a temporary setback, telling reporters to 'behave' in press conferences
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-CNNs-Jim-Acostas-White-House-press-pass.html

TRYNEIN

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

No, Jim Acosta and CNN did not “win” their case today

The Evening Campaign Update (Because The Campaign Never Ends)

No, Jim Acosta and CNN did not “win” their case today, so everybody needs to calm down here.

All the plaintiffs in the case against the White House this morning was an injunction in which the judge in the case, Timothy Kelly, ordered the restoration of Acosta’s hard pass to the White House grounds while the case is in the process of being heard and decided. Believe it or not, I think this was a completely reasonable action for the judge to take, since it ensures Acosta will not have been unfairly disadvantaged in the event that CNN and Acosta are able to make a compelling case that ends with a ruling in their favor.

Make sense?

Now, in addition to ordering Acosta’s pass to be restored,
the judge let it be known that he thinks CNN and Acosta are likely to prevail on their 5th Amendment, due process-based argument that Acosta was not provided with “sufficient notice or explanation before his credentials were revoked or been given sufficient opportunity to respond before they were.” As it happened, Acosta was actually given no notice at all – he simply showed up at the Secret Service station outside the White House grounds where he normally presents his credentials before entering and was informed at that time that they had been revoked.

While the White House press office spelled out its reasons after the fact, the judge has ruled that this was not sufficient notice.

Judge Kelly also made it clear that he does not believe CNN or Acosta have an unfettered First Amendment-based right to a White House press badge.

Thus, basically what has happened today is that Judge Kelly has forced the White House to put Acosta on probation. His press badge will be restored while the case is being heard and will be revoked again should the Judge ultimately rule against the plaintiffs.

In the meantime, both President Trump and White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders have promised to write up and publish a formal set of rules for decorum that Acosta and all other fake reporters must follow while on the White House grounds and during press briefings.

President Trump commented on the entire process earlier today in an interview with Fox News’s Chris Wallace:

Trump told Wallace it’s “not a big deal,” saying, “What they said, though, is that we have to create rules and regulations for conduct… we’re doing that, we’re going to write them up right now. It’s not a big deal. And if he misbehaves, we’ll throw him out or we’ll stop the news conference.”

“Nobody believes in the First Amendment more than I do. And if I think somebody is acting out of sorts, I will leave. I’ll say, ‘Thank you very much, everybody. I appreciate you coming.’ And I’ll leave. And those reporters will not be too friendly to whoever it is that’s acting up.”

These White House press briefings have been taking place in their modern format since the mid-1970s. In all that time, the White House had never had a need to write up formal rules for decorum because the reporters involved were mature enough and had enough respect for the setting and the office of the presidency to know how to behave themselves. But today, unfortunately, the pack of childish jackals who now make up the White House press corps no longer possess those qualities as a group.

So, just like in any elementary school across America, the rules for behavior will be written up, probably posted on the wall, and anyone who acts up and violates them will be sent to the office for punishment. It’s pathetic, really, but then again, this is CNN and Jim Acosta we’re talking about here.

That is all.

Follow me on Twitter at @GDBlackmon

=============================================

The 5th amendment reads as follows

“No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”

How does this apply in this case in any way?

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Trump warns Jim Acosta that 'if he misbehaves we’ll throw him out' of future press conferences and threatens to LEAVE if the CNN reporter hassles him – hours after judge orders White House to restore his press pass

• That order was granted Friday by federal judge Timothy Kelly, a Trump appointe
  • He said he was ruling on the basis that Acosta's Fifth Amendment rights to 'due process' were violated
  • Acosta wasn't given a chance to defend himself before his pass was yanked, and government lawyers couldn't say who made the decision to ban him
  • Acosta returned to the White House hours later, and Trump warned that it was just a temporary setback, telling reporters to 'behave' in press conferences
  • He told Fox News in a televised interview that he would throw Acosta out of future press conferences 'if he misbehaves'
  • Also threatened to abruptlly walk out of Q&A events if Acosta hassles him
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...costa-misbehaves-throw-press-conferences.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
#ICYMI: Trump v Acosta
RT

Published on Nov 17, 2018
#ICYMI: Donald Trump vs CNN’s Jim Acosta and the politics of distraction

When Donald Trump and CNN’s Jim Acosta clashed at a White House news conference, both behaved so badly it was hard to pick sides, which poses a dilemma in the current day when it’s essential to have an opinion.

However, instead of everyone accepting some blame and moving on, Trump’s team decided to throw a White House intern under the bus instead and allege she had been inappropriately touched by Acosta during the incident.

What made the whole thing an extremely modern phenomenon was that video evidence clearly shows there was no Weinstein-style inappropriateness at all, yet the media and social media warriors continued to argue the point anyway, instead of concentrating on important things.

So ICYMI looks at how effective the politics of distraction can really be.

Like what you see? Please subscribe: http://youtube.com/ICYMIvideo

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
'A sword hanging over our heads': Trump discovers new weapon against media

The administration is drawing up rules for White House reporters' behavior, and the president said if journalists don't follow them, 'we'll end up back in court, and we'll win.'

Full article here: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/16/trump-jim-acosta-cnn-999675

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Cuomo: This President has made a practice of disrespecting anyone he doesn't like
CNN

Published on Nov 17, 2018
After the White House issued a statement that said reporters have to practice a certain "decorum" during press conferences, CNN's Chris Cuomo and ex-Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski discuss whether "decorum" applies to the President.

#CNN #News

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
McMaken: The White House Press Pass Has Nothing To Do With The First Amendment

by Tyler Durden
Sat, 11/17/2018 - 19:55

Submitted by Ryan McMaken of Mises.org

A federal judge on Friday ruled the White House must temporarily re-instate the press pass of CNN reporter Jim Acosta's, who had been barred after an argument with Donald Trump in the press room. The judge ruled the White House had violated due process by banning Acosta.

CNN, however, had requested a ruling saying that Acosta more or less had a constitutional right to a press pass, and that the First Amendment guaranteed CNN and its reporters access to the White House press conference room.

Judge Timothy Kelly disagreed. According to the Washington Post:

In explaining his decision, Kelly said he agreed with the government’s argument that there was no First Amendment right to come onto the White House grounds. But, he said, once the White House opened up the grounds to reporters, the First Amendment applied.​
On the due process issue, Kelly is mostly right on this one. But Kelly gets it wrong when he says that the First Amendment potentially applies wherever the White House has opened up access to reporters overall.

How Can Press Room Access be a "Right" If Only Allowed to a Privileged Few?
It's difficult to see, though, how something so limited and so unavailable to nearly everyone could be called a right. After all, not even all reporters can hope to secure a White House press pass. And non-reporters have even less chance of ever getting access. Access to White House media facilities and forums are a privilege reserved for a select few —and most of those few are wealthy operatives of extremely powerful media corporations.

A press pass is clearly not a right in the same sense as a trial by jury, a right to be secure in one's personal property, or a right to peaceably assemble. In theory at least, those rights apply to everyone unless voluntarily waived, or unless revoked through some sort of public due process.

Nor is it the case that just anyone who is recognized as a journalist gets access to the White House press room. The room, of course, is of a finite size — there are 49 seats — and access is limited. Only a select group of people is allowed in, and the credentialing process is controlled in part by the White House Correspondents' Association which hardly hands out credentials as if they were a human right.

Thus, if the First Amendment guarantees access to the White House press room, how is it that the overwhelming majority of journalists in the country can never hope to enjoy this right?

Moreover, government judges and officials have refused to rule with finality on the idea that anyone can be a journalist. This leaves open the opportunity for governments themselves to define who gets to be a journalist and who doesn't. Not surprisingly, US Senator Dianne Feinstein has suggested that only paid, professional journalists ought to be considered "real" journalists.

If access to the White House is to rise to the level of a right, though, it certainly can't be reliant on the whims of Senators and judges as to who gets to exercise that right. Nor could the White House Correspondents' Association, or any other group, be allowed to limit this right to a few influential reporters.

If CNN is going to insist in court that a press pass is a right, is the organization willing to take this idea to its logical conclusion? If that were the case, we'd be hearing about how CNN thinks the press room ought to be opened up to any small-time blogger who wants to ask the president a few questions.

The Press Room Exists for the Benefit of the President
But even if everyone who wanted it were somehow magically given space in the White House press room, it's hard to see how hobnobbing with the White House communications staff forms a pillar of a free press or free inquiry.

In other words, the very premise that a White House press pass is a critical component of a free press is questionable at best.

After all, the press room, the communications staff, and the entire White House media apparatus exists to make the president look good. It's not there to offer a frank exchange of information, or to divulge any information the White House doesn't want released.

To find that sort of information, one would have to engage in real investigative journalism in which journalists uncover facts that powerful government officials would rather not be uncovered. That, of course, is what Julian Assange has done. But you won't find many establishment American journalists defending him. No, in the minds of the Jim Acostas of the world, "journalism" consists of repeating the official talking points released at official press conferences.

And this is a lucky thing for presidents, many of whom have long understood that the purpose of White House communications is to manipulate the press.

In his book Who Speaks for the President, The White House Press Secretary from Cleveland to Clinton, W. Dale Nelson examines the history of press relations between the president since the late nineteenth century.

According to Nelson, press relations were considerably more informal in the nineteenth century, with presidents inviting reporters to have occasional conversations in various areas of the White House.These meetings eventually took on a more recognizable modern form with Theodore Roosevelt, who as a master propagandist, used reporters skillfully to his advantage. According to Nelson, "Roosevelt, who had seen reporters twice daily while in Albany, realized that the news columns of newspapers were what mattered, as much as the editorial columns, if not more."

Roosevelt thus introduced a custom in which reporters were welcome to see him while he was being shaved just before lunch. "The sessions," Nelson writes, which "came to be called presidential séances ... were limited to a favored few correspondents known to their colleagues as 'the fair-haired.'"

Overall, though, Roosevelt was happy to spread his own opinions around promiscuously, and as former Roosevelt aide Archie Butt remembered it: "Mr. Roosevelt understood the necessity of guiding the press to suit one's own ends..."

Roosevelt was slowly inventing the concept of the presidential press conference, and he understood that its purpose was to advance his own interests. After all, the very concept of the press conference has always been primarily founded on the idea of one-way communication. This is true for every organization that holds a press conference. Private companies, of course, only hold press conferences to get out the word of a new product or to do damage control. In any case, the purpose of these events are to manipulate and shape the news.

In fact, according to historian Daniel Boorstin, press conferences aren't really news events at all. They're a "pseudo-event" — a 20th-century invention — which is a manufactured event designed by a certain person or organization to create news that is favorable to those who plan them.

US presidents have been among the most effective pioneers behind the psuedo-event, although some have been better than others. According to Boorstin:

In recent years our successful politicians have been those most adept at using the press and other means to create pseudo-events. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, whom Heywood Broun calls "the best newspaperman who has even been President of the United States," was the first modern master. While newspaper owners opposed him in the editorials few read, F.D.R. himself, with the collaboration of a friendly corps of Washington correspondents, was using front-page headlines to make news read by everybody. He was making "facts" — pseudo events — while editorial writers were simply expressing opinions. It is a familiar story how he employed the trial balloon, how he exploited the ethic of the off-the-record remarks, how he transformed the Presidential press conference from a boring ritual into a major national institution which no later president dared disrespect, and how he developed the fireside chat. Knowing that newspapermen lived on news, he helped them manufacture it. And he knew enough about news-making techniques to help shape their stories to his own purposes.​
Needless to say, repeating what is said at these events was never "journalism." It was simply repeating what the president wanted repeating. Nor have reporters been much troubled by this fact. If anything, they've become even more reliant on it as news has become a 24-hour-per-day business. Thus, in recent decades, reporters have begun to rely more and more on interviews, press conferences and other types of pre-packaged "pseudo events" that could give media outlets something new to report on. And then, of course, the politicians themselves — and the public relations people who work for them — are more than happy to supply the media with "pre-cooked" news, press conferences, prepared statements, and opinions.

In other words, the presidential media event has always existed for the benefit of presidents. Reporters who fancy themselves as people getting a "scoop" by taking notes at a press conference greatly overvalue their own work. But it's not hard to see why they imagine the First Amendment describes a special "right" applicable only to them and their friends.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...use-press-pass-has-nothing-do-first-amendment

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Why not hold any future press confrences by invitation only in another room.
Shut it all down and they would not be able to lie 24/7/365.
Nothing new, people turn it off, advertisers stop buying time, fake news goes out of business along with all the talking heads being disbanded.

In the future I'd call it the "Not Fake News Conference Room" and check their reporting for accuracy. Any fake news and no more invitations.
Better yet invite only one "reporter" in. That way it's harder to twist the story 25 ways when there is only one source.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The beat goes on...…………..

Trump warns he'll turn off the cameras facing reporters as part of his 'new rules' for the media in wake of Jim Acosta regaining his press pass

• President Donald Trump said he would turn off cameras facing reporters so they don't get any air time as part of his new rules for the media
  • The White House is threatening tighter regulations on the press
  • It's unclear if the president meant cameras in press conferences in the White House or in the press briefings in the West Wing
  • The networks control the TV cameras but the White House could limit the number of camera positions, which would cut down on shots of reporters
  • White House denied Acosta access and confiscated his 'hard pass' after press-conference shouting match with Trump and tussle over a mic
  • CNN sued on Tuesday on First Amendment grounds, claimed Acosta was denied a Fifth Amendment right to due process
  • A judge ordered Acosta's hard pass returned to him
  • He told Fox News in a televised interview that he would throw Acosta out of future press conferences 'if he misbehaves'
  • Also threatened to abruptlly walk out of Q&A events if Acosta hassles him
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ng-reporters-press-conferences-new-rules.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
White House tells Acosta his press pass will be suspended again when order expires, CNN says

Washington Post
Meagan Flynn
34 mins ago

White House officials have reportedly sent a letter to CNN’s Jim Acosta indicating they will suspend his press pass again once the temporary restraining order that required them to restore Acosta’s credentials expires, CNN reported late Sunday night. The 14-day order was issued Friday and unless the judge extends it would expire at the end of the month.

In a ruling seen as a victory for press freedom, U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly, appointed by President Trump, ordered the White House to temporarily restore Acosta’s press pass on Friday while he considers the merits of the case and the possibility of a permanent order.

He said the White House has an obligation to afford due process to Acosta before it can revoke or suspend his access, and found that the White House’s decision-making process in this case was “so shrouded in mystery that the government could not tell me . . . who made the decision.”

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

But on Sunday night, CNN’s Brian Stelter of “Reliable Sources” said in his newsletter that “White House officials sent Acosta a letter stating that his pass is set to be suspended again once the restraining order expires.”

Stelter did not report the text of the letter or say whether it came only to Acosta or was submitted to the judge in the case. It was unclear whether the White House provided reasons that would somehow pass for due process in the eyes of the judge or a chance for Acosta to respond. The parties are expected to file status reports Monday explaining how they would like to proceed.

“The White House is continuing to violate the First and 5th Amendments of the Constitution,” CNN said in a statement. “These actions threaten all journalists and news organizations. Jim Acosta and CNN will continue to report the news about the White House and the President.”

CNN and Acosta, the network’s chief White House correspondent, sued the White House and press secretary Sarah Sanders last week after they suspended his press credentials following Acosta’s minor altercation with a White House press aide, who tried to take a microphone out of his hands as he questioned the president.

Sanders accused Acosta of “placing his hands on a young woman” when explaining why Acosta’s pass had been suspended, but Kelly found that this allegation was “likely untrue.”

In defending the White House’s decision to suspend Acosta’s press pass, Justice Department lawyers argued that it was not an infringement on the First Amendment because CNN had plenty of other White House reporters who are “more than capable of covering the White House complex on CNN’s behalf,” and Acosta himself could still “practice his profession and report on the White House” — just not at the White House.

Kelly agreed that access to the White House grounds is not a First Amendment right. But he also found that a reporter’s “First Amendment liberty interest in a White House press pass” is also protected by the Fifth Amendment’s due process guarantees, as The Washington Post’s Erik Wemple previously reported. In other words, the White House can’t just revoke a reporter’s press pass for no good reason.

In deciding whether barring Acosta amounted to “irreparable harm,” a standard for granting temporary restraining orders, Kelly pointed to the case of journalist Robert Sherrill, who fought the White House’s denial of his press pass in 1977 and also won the right to due process and a restoration of his pass.

“The First Amendment interests as recognized in Sherrill were not vested merely in publications or agencies; they were liberties of the individual journalists themselves,” Kelly said, as excerpted by Wemple. “For that reason, that CNN may still send another journalist or journalists to the White House does not make the harm to Mr. Acosta any less irreparable. . . . It’s a harm that cannot be remedied in retrospect. . . . So on this highly, highly unusual set of facts and interests at stake, I do find that the plaintiffs have met their burden of establishing that irreparable harm has and will continue to occur in the absence of [remedy].”

Ted Boutrous, an attorney for CNN and Acosta, told Stelter on “Reliable Sources” that in the absence of reaching an agreement with the White House, they plan to seek a preliminary injunction blocking the White House from suspending Acosta’s credentials for a much longer period of time as the case moves forward.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...-order-expires-cnn-says/ar-BBPRr8y?ocid=ientp

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Don't ask Trump TWO things! White House reporters will only be allowed to ask the president one question each to avoid 'future Acosta eruptions' – and he'll seize their press credentials if they ask a second without permission

• Trump's spokeswoman says journalists will be subject to expulsion if they don't 'yield the floor' after asking one question during a presidential press conference
  • New rules allow the president to accept follow-up questions but don't guarantee that he will
  • White House Correspondents Association president suggests he expects reporters to ask follow-ups regardless of whether it's allowed
  • Reporters will be required to cede the White House's microphone to staffers
  • Pronouncement comes after CNN's Jim Acosta was banned from the White House for nine days for an argumentative exhange with Trump on Nov. 7
  • He refused to hand over the microphone and offered 'complaints' instead of questions, according to a West Wing official
  • Fear of 'future Acosta eruptions,' the official said, were enough to make the Trump administration act
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-allowed-ask-president-one-question-each.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
White House Introduces Rules of Decorum For Journalists At Pressers Like Jim Acosta! (REACTION)
Anthony Brian Logan

Published on Nov 20, 2018
After a lawsuit against Donald Trump's White House administration on behalf of Jim Acosta, new rules of "decorum" have been introduced for all journalists covering the President and other staffers during press conferences. Acosta's press pass was revoked after constant press conference disruptions that erupted after the midterm elections when he got into a tussle with a WH intern over a microphone.

Federal Judge Timothy Kelly ruled on CNN's lawsuit to reinstate said press pass in the affirmative but only because there were no rules to govern how a press pass is revoked. The ruling was temporary and with it came an order for the White House to introduce rules for journalists to follow. In the case of another Acosta outburst, rules would be in place that would justify one's "hard pass" to be revoked.

The White House Intends to Pull Jim Acosta’s Press Pass Once the 14-Day Restraining Order Has Expired
https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/white...

Ban on Follow-Up Questions Among Trump's New 'Dictatorial' Rules for White House Reporters
https://www.commondreams.org/news/201...

White House backs down from legal fight, restores Jim Acosta's press pass
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/media/...

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
'That's not accurate. That's not true': Sarah Sanders is more than ready for CNN's Jim Acosta as he returns to the briefing room following his temporary White House ban

• White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders held a news conference in the briefing room - the first briefing in nearly a month
  • She fielded a question from Jim Acosta, CNN's chief White House correspondent
  • Acosta asked Sanders about Trump's reaction to a federal report on climate change as well as CIA's assessment on the Khashoggi killing
  • Earlier this month, the White House revoked credentials from Acosta after he had a testy exchange with President Donald Trump on November 7
  • Acosta refused to give up the microphone as a White House intern tried to take it from him
  • The White House eventually reinstated Acosta's press credentials last week after CNN filed legal action against the administration

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ah-Sanders-White-House-briefing-room-ban.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
If you can't beat them, join them? Trump proposes state-run network to rival CNN
RT

Published on Nov 28, 2018
President Trump seems to be looking for new ways to make America great again – he's even considering a state-run TV network. Igor Zhdanov takes a look at how, if it ever makes it to air, it might measure up against other global networks. READ MORE: https://on.rt.com/9jba