• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Around here we have alot of smaller woodpeckers, but this past summer my youngest and me saw one of these while driving on a wooded country road. Both of us were amazed at the size of that bird.
Indeed pileated wookpeckers are very large. Even being aware of that I am often surprised by how large they are when I get to see one up close. I saw him again twice so far today. He scared off a red bellied woodpecker, which scared him away (they can be very skittish).

have seen a red bellied frequently,
earlier also had a pair of Pileateds around

red bellied

Pileated as Eric showed
I also get red bellied, hairy and downy woodpeckers on a regular basis. I think the little downy woodpeckers are the meanest of them all.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Guy films a pileated banging from 2' away. Amazingly powerful.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Amazing footage, Eric.

We have got to tell the Dims about this destructive force endangering our environment.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Which reminds me when does Hunting season open up on moose in Canada ?
Not sure on the rest of Canada but archery starts Sept 1 and rifle Nov 1-30th.

Don't get me wrong. As much as I love nature I understand the issues of those with livestock. At my place if they don't wreck my garden or my antennas we're okay.
Antennas?

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Judging by the shape of the beak I'd say the are insectivores and will not be around long.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Judging by the shape of the beak I'd say the are insectivores and will not be around long.
Indeed. They like to sit on poles like that to watch for insects. Often they will fly down, catch one, and fly back to the same perch. There are still bugs around even after the long cold spell we had. Mid 40s today.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Never seen a tractor with a license plate before.........

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wonder if there was any wreckage or it was like the invisible plane in PA on 911...............

^updated^

found a way in
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Wonder if there was any wreckage or it was like the invisible plane in PA on 911...............

Test pilot George Aird - flying a English Electric Lightning F1 - ejected from his English Electric Lightning F1 aircraft at a fantastically low altitude in Hatfield, Hertfordshire 13th September 1962 (Thanks to Daily Mirror Reference MP_0018484.)​
Mr G P Aird AFC a test pilot with the He Havilland Aircraft Company, ejecting from Lightning P1B XG 332 on 13 September 1962. He was on finals for an emergency landing at Hatfield, following A double reheat fire warning occurred about 15 miles North East of Hatfield. George was making a normal powered approach, unfortunately he had to position for runway 06 as the wind was from the northeast. His approach to Hatfield was from the NE. The runway was short by Service standards so the manually operated barrier had been erected at the northeast end of 06. At about 10 seconds from touchdown, at about 100 ft, the aircraft suddenly pitched nose up and, since there was no response to the controls, he ejected. The aircraft crashed on the airfield, broke up and caught fire.

The wreckage of the Lightning can be seen above just on the airfield short of runway 06 and just beyond the greenhouses in which George landed. Fire damage was the cause of this accident; the anchorage for the tail plane actuator jack had burned away, hence the loss of elevator control.

George landed in a greenhouse sustaining several fractures. The hole where George and the ejection seat went through the glass roof can be seen in the above picture in the near end of the roof of the second greenhouse from the left. They landed in adjoining rows of tomatoes! The damage at the far end of the greenhouse was made by the arrival of the Lightning canopy. The remains of the Lightning can be seen on the left just into the airfield. George was back flying again within six months and on Lightnings a year after the accident.

The Culprit!​
George retired from de Havillands (British Aerospace) in 1983 but continued executive and airline flying until his 65th birthday in 1993. He now has an NPPL.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yeah. The pattern looks more Burmese than African Rock ( looking at photos on the web)

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
This one actually:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1022520402

Moultrie MCS-12639 TRACE Premise 8MP Game Camera

But damn I didn't pay that much for the two of them, if I recall correctly it was under $100 for both. I'd like a better one at some point but it isn't in the budget for now.....
And actually, I just noticed this has video capabilities, going to have to look into that.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yesterday after work at my friend's house on the lake.

IMG_20191123_090737450.jpg

Looks like I found a genetically mutated 2 headed deer.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Today at our house... 8am MST add another inch or so... at 10am
IMG_2838.JPG

In the pine tree (shoveled path). Mr. Flicker

Flicker copy.jpg

I'm calling it 9"... wind blowing so probably skimmed the top off... bird bath in background more precise.

IMG_2839.JPG

Last edited: