• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The Canna lilly flower after the red petals fall off and the seeds begin to form...

IMG_20200711_180033193.jpg

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Thought some of the GIM musicians might appreciate this. Dragged this ancient piece out from the crawlspace:
1956 Martin Guitar:

I hear my FIL traded some old lady for it in exchange for HVAC work. Amazing that it is over 60 years old and still plays.

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thought some of the GIM musicians might appreciate this. Dragged this ancient piece out from the crawlspace:
1956 Martin Guitar:

I hear my FIL traded some old lady for it in exchange for HVAC work. Amazing that it is over 60 years old and still plays.
Put it in the house...its gottsta breathe bro!

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I geek out on music Yootubes during the winter and I’m pretty sure that Martin could get you a good bit of silver.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I geek out on music Yootubes during the winter and I’m pretty sure that Martin could get you a good bit of silver.
yeah, but I'd rather my kid get to play it someday. I pulled out a few other instruments that are worth a bit of silver; maybe after the move I'll take a pic of the whole stash around: 10 guitars, dobro, mandolin, trumpet, flute, french horn, a couple amps, some other stuff, hell even had a homemade dirigidoo in there. Found my FIL's "demo" tape, gonna have to find a tape player so my kid can hear his grandpa's voice for the first time.

arminius

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
1956 Martin Guitar:
Amazing that it is over 60 years old and still plays.
yeah, but I'd rather my kid get to play it someday.
Think 60 years ageing incredible acoustical resonance vibration from that 60 year seasoned old wood.

Ya, keep it in the family.

I know Willie would love it...

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
On the night of the 4th, a week ago, my children and I watched four different meteorites burn up in the atmosphere. At first we thought the first one was an airplane with its light staying on and not blinking until it disappeared in the upper atmosphere. It was followed by three more that burnt up in the upper atmosphere. I wish I had my tripod out and a much different lens in use. It was an interesting thing to watch. The kids don't know how interesting it was, yet. I'll have to wait for them to grow up a bit.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
On the night of the 4th, a week ago, my children and I watched four different meteorites burn up in the atmosphere. At first we thought the first one was an airplane with its light staying on and not blinking until it disappeared in the upper atmosphere. It was followed by three more that burnt up in the upper atmosphere. I wish I had my tripod out and a much different lens in use. It was an interesting thing to watch. The kids don't know how interesting it was, yet. I'll have to wait for them to grow up a bit.

If you're up late enough ~ midnight+ it's a GREAT time to get shots of Jupiter and Saturn as they approach the Great Conjunction this year (happens every 20 years) which occurs 21 December, 2020. Winter Solstice in the morning about 5am and the GC later that evening.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
That just reminded me, I saw a nice meteor yesterday morning while watching the comet. Nothing spectacular, but nice, fast but fairly bright.

The comet is truly worth the effort to spot. It is starting to become an evening object, particularly for those North but not so far North it doesn't get dark this time of year. I had no trouble at all seeing it and its tail naked eye. It is even quite visible when there is still some light in the sky. Spaceweather.com is a good source for finder charts: https://www.spaceweather.com/

I posted several pics of the comet in the Astronomy pictures thread. Thread link: https://goldismoney2.com/threads/astronomy-pictures-thread.278265/

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I was a USMC recruit at Parris Island (2nd Battalion) starting in Feb 1970. We were "awakened" every morning probably around 4 AM though we damn sure didn't have watches, made the racks (bed), shit, showered, got suited up and marched to morning chow in about 20 minutes flat. Sometime about mid-way through training, a comet became visible in the pre-dawn morning skies. The only one I've ever seen, it was beautiful, I watched it during the march to chow, in formation outside of the chow hall and during the march back. It was incredibly peaceful, a large silent smear across the sky.

Sometime during the latter part of recruit training probably around the same time as the comet, there was a total eclipse of the sun. We weren't told it was coming, we were in some weapons training area and it started getting darker, and darker, then midnight.

The times of a major comet shortly followed by a total eclipse have to be pretty rare.

Last edited:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Happening to incidentally be in the path of totality of a solar eclipse is pretty amazing in itself.

I am hoping to travel for the 2024 total eclipse. Depending what the situation is. 2017's was well worth the drive.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
TomD -- Wow. You brought back memories. We'd be wide awake at 4AM, laying there (not allowed to get up) until we heard the "scratch" of the record player over the loudspeakers. Then it was pandemonium.

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
That same thing happened to me. I came home to find one chair cushion, two couch cushions and the arm of the couch destroyed. There was so much foam and batting in the living room that I had to clean it up with a yard rake.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IMG_20200717_052942739.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
1956 Martin Guitar:
It will still play in another 60 years! What is the number inside? 0015M? M for mahogany...

You can check the SN here: http://www.guitarhq.com/martin.html

bit o history

That same thing happened to me. I came home to find one chair cushion, two couch cushions and the arm of the couch destroyed. There was so much foam and batting in the living room that I had to clean it up with a yard rake.
I call them pound dogs... to the pound!

That's why you cage raise them as pups.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
TomD -- Wow. You brought back memories. We'd be wide awake at 4AM, laying there (not allowed to get up) until we heard the "scratch" of the record player over the loudspeakers. Then it was pandemonium.
We weren't serenaded awake by music at reveille, most of the time it was by a DI throwing a shit can down the middle of the squad bay while screaming threats at the top of of his lungs. That'll get you out of your rack right quick.

Below, me graduation day at PI.

PI Grad 1970
by Tom, on Flickr

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
We weren't serenaded awake by music at reveille, most of the time it was by a DI throwing a shit can down the middle of the squad bay while screaming threats at the top of of his lungs. That'll get you out of your rack right quick.

Below, me graduation day at PI.

PI Grad 1970
by Tom, on Flickr
Heheh, THIS is my Dad who was ONE of those DIs - Parris Island circa 1949
Dad DI.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Managed to capture this on the way to work on the Interstate. Local hospitals medvac coming in.

IMG_20200721_121045162.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mini jam night....I just took these up the road on the way in.

IMG_20200721_160227244.jpg
IMG_20200721_160238730.jpg

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
4 mile long bridge over the bay. This bridge was built in 2004-5 after the previous bridge was destroyed by a hurricane. It was only 15' above the water, not enough to deal with the surge and waves. It would take a hell of a storm to knock this one down.

DSC00264.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Jam night again. Caught the deer in the yard today. There's a bunch that live casually in the neighborhood...

IMG_20200722_175459967.jpg

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Jam night again. Caught the deer in the yard today. There's a bunch that live casually in the neighborhood...
Looks like you could make a little doe if you tried.

Below, not a good day for surfing

DSC1309t.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Took this yesterday while looking at a job to bid. It's rare I see such an intact skeleton