• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Took this yesterday while looking at a job to bid. It's rare I see such an intact skeleton

So rare I can't see it at all!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The clouds have been very cool around here lately. Today I experimented with taking camera phone pictures through my polarized sunglasses. I asked a friend of mine which image he liked better and he said the polarized one was warmer and I told him that's probably why I wear my sunglasses all the time. :) So of the first two pictures which one do you like better?

It's been hot but it's also been absolutely beautiful.

IMG_20200723_165532477.jpg

IMG_20200723_165538433.jpg

IMG_20200723_165325600_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20200723_165406734.jpg

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I favor #1 and #4. I was into photography a few decades ago * and I played with sepia and some other stinky finish, but I did not really like them much. My very short (2 years at most) experience with color film and paper made me just want color accuracy. I did some posterization, and that was fun, but to me, the essence of photography is selecting the scene.

* I started with Kodak films and papers, but when they reduced their silver, they went on my shit list. Agfa, Ilford, and Fuji from then on...

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
The clouds have been very cool around here lately. Today I experimented with taking camera phone pictures through my polarized sunglasses. I asked a friend of mine which image he liked better and he said the polarized one was warmer and I told him that's probably why I wear my sunglasses all the time. :) So of the first two pictures which one do you like better?

It's been hot but it's also been absolutely beautiful.

View attachment 173666

View attachment 173667

View attachment 173665

View attachment 173668
I think I like the white balance better on the natural but the contrast better on the ones I suspect are through the sunglasses.

I'm a stickler for wearing sunglasses outdoors. I got sick of how cheaply made most are until a breakthrough happened. I learned to get my sunglasses from hardware stores. Not from their sunglasses section, but where they have safety glasses they usually have decent UV blocking sunglass versions of safety glasses. Way better made than just about any standard sunglasses. *the more you know...* :)

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Yeah, my "sunglasses" are tinted safety glasses. On sale, I probably spent a buck and a half each.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yikes, it's like the carp here sometimes when out on the water but that would be unsettling. I bumped a big snapping turtle once, no big deal.
Yeah, I never seen any turtle explode anything like those alligators. A 'gator jumps in your boat YOU GOT PROBLEMS !!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I think I like the white balance better on the natural but the contrast better on the ones I suspect are through the sunglasses.

I'm a stickler for wearing sunglasses outdoors. I got sick of how cheaply made most are until a breakthrough happened. I learned to get my sunglasses from hardware stores. Not from their sunglasses section, but where they have safety glasses they usually have decent UV blocking sunglass versions of safety glasses. Way better made than just about any standard sunglasses. *the more you know...* :)
Yep,I wear the sub $10 shaded safety glasses as well.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
OK, w all know I'm no Eric the cat or TomD, but I finally managed to have my camera nearby when the hummingbird was around and captured a couple pics. Now to just get closer. I've actually been talking to him through the window when I see him around and he'll come over to the window to investigate or fly to a nearby branch and peer inquisitively at the mysterious sweet talking voice.

IMG_20200724_135557121.jpg
IMG_20200724_135553171.jpg
IMG_20200724_135612861.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Hummingbirds are fun. Sometimes I scare one away and I will say "Come back!" and oddly enough, often times they come back and continue feeding.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hummingbirds are fun. Sometimes I scare one away and I will say "Come back!" and oddly enough, often times they come back and continue feeding.
Most animals are connected to the telepathic line.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks! I have been blessed to be seeing bluebirds so often. Many young ones. The other day I had 5 on one of my radio antennas at once.
I remember making bluebird houses back in Boy Scouts as they were needing all the help they could get. Still somewhat rare today around those parts.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I remember making bluebird houses back in Boy Scouts as they were needing all the help they could get. Still somewhat rare today around those parts.
Nice. I made one back in cub scouts. Pretty sure it just sat in the basement and rotted away though while I went out and raised hell.

I think about putting houses out sometimes but find myself overly swamped in the spring doing other things. There are a few bluebird houses around here. Prairie country so I see them often. I do have a wren house my mom gave me a few years ago. Maybe next spring.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sure enough my little friend is back! What a precious little sweetheart.... I went into the bathroom and was looking out the window and sure enough here she came flying and I immediately got excited and started talking to her and she flew right over to the window! I got all nervous and fidgety trying to get my phone out in the camera going but she hung out there for a minute as I continued to talk and mumble all excited as I fumbled with my phone.
I'm pretty sure that this is a female ruby-throated hummingbird.

IMG_20200725_112029682.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-112125.png
Screenshot_20200725-112112.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
couple of recent shots
DSC01789.jpg

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
TomD the master....
Think of all the stories in that photo.... enough to feed hollywood for a century with some left over.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Ummmm... I think I'll just let y'all sort this one out...

gas3.jpg

Personally, I think it's an EPA crew returning from collecting cow farts for one of their climate change studies. They never mentioned they prepped the cow's cud with helium...

Last edited:

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
1/4 ton jeep in the background following... Guy in the very front of the balloon group has an army field jacket and leather gloves on, not the radiation protective clothing the balloon group has on. Maybe Nevada or New Mexico???
That's all I got Alton. Brain buster.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
What kind of flower is that?

The old Cemetery picture kinda hurts my eyes.
That is a Day Lilly, they come in all sorts of colors. My wife is nuts about them, has them all over the yard.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Dude, those are beautiful! Has anyone told you your a good photographer?
Thanks! It has been said, and I appreciate it. I mostly just like to share the beauty I am lucky enough to capture. In this case, the butterfly gets all the credit. Somehow it did not mind me standing right next to it as it went from flower to flower. So I went inside and got my camera, came back out and got these pics.