• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That just reminded me, somewhere I saw a funny video. This guy who lives by a golf course will lay down by the ball whenever one is hit into his yard and get up acting like he got hit in the head. It's pretty hilarious. Unlike getting pelted in the leg.
Pretty much the first thing I did was laugh.... I think the conscious understanding of what happened clicked in as I saw the ball in my peripheral vision having bounced off my leg down to the ground below. In my brain said you've just been hit by a golf ball... What are the chances or odds of that? Thinking about it the odds are very astronomically low.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm working at a house that sits on a golf course. In fact I'm in the middle of repairing some damage caused by golf balls on the house in the stucco and windows.

Turn here for a couple weeks now and to go I walked out onto the back deck and was pelted by a golf ball in the leg! The timing was impeccable. I was about 8 inches from needing medical assistance. Already have a welt.

There are keystones spaced a foot or so apart on the corners of the brick and literally every one of them going up the side of the building has been hit by golf balls.

Funny thing is that I was standing in the most secluded spot on the deck.

View attachment 177242

View attachment 177243
Sucker was moving pretty good.

IMG_20200818_232612701~2.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It is an absolutely spectacular day in Northwest Arkansas. It got chilly last night, down to 55. It's only 80 today has been high 80s to mid-90s for a while so a terrific break.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IMG_20200819_125151201.jpg

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
It is an absolutely spectacular day in Northwest Arkansas. It got chilly last night, down to 55. It's only 80 today has been high 80s to mid-90s for a while so a terrific break.
55!!?? Wow, I'd kill for a couple of those here in the land of mid-90's with dew points in the 80's up to freaking Thanksgiving. There was a day in my yard last year, just past noon, temps in the 90's, direct arc light sunlight and so humid that the dew from the night before hadn't evaporated from the grass. It was still soaking wet.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Started a new job today. Captured a pic of our first mascot. And no, I'm not working on Mars.

IMG_20200819_155927973.jpg

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Had fun today moving a large rock that was in the way of building a new greenhouse.
My boss is a rock junkie.
He dug this puppy up with his backhoe.
Welded a metal, double ski type of contraption to slide it on.
The rock was laying flat on the ground after he pulled it out of the hole.

We used a forklift and the Kubota with a fork attachment to pick up one side. Both machines were balancing on their front wheels with the rears up near the tipping point.

We then threw a chain under the rock and connected the skis to it. We
Used another tractor to pull the skis under the rock.

We dragged it about 20 yards pulling and pushing with two machines when the skis said Fyou guys and broke apart. So he dug a hole a few feet deep and we stood it up were the skis gave out.
IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner

it is definitely time to home school.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
]
Had fun today moving a large rock that was in the way of building a new greenhouse.
My boss is a rock junkie.
He dug this puppy up with his backhoe.
Welded a metal, double ski type of contraption to slide it on.
The rock was laying flat on the ground after he pulled it out of the hole.

We used a forklift and the Kubota with a fork attachment to pick up one side. Both machines were balancing on their front wheels with the rears up near the tipping point.

We then threw a chain under the rock and connected the skis to it. We
Used another tractor to pull the skis under the rock.

We dragged it about 20 yards pulling and pushing with two machines when the skis said Fyou guys and broke apart. So he dug a hole a few feet deep and we stood it up were the skis gave out.
View attachment 177405

View attachment 177403
Gotta appreciate an enthusiastic rock hound.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
55!!?? Wow, I'd kill for a couple of those here in the land of mid-90's with dew points in the 80's up to freaking Thanksgiving. There was a day in my yard last year, just past noon, temps in the 90's, direct arc light sunlight and so humid that the dew from the night before hadn't evaporated from the grass. It was still soaking wet.
Yeah, suck it up Floridians.... We haven't forgotten all the gloating that comes each winter. :p

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Started a job today restoring a potting shed for a woman who took on gardening after retirement. She has two types of milkweed with some very happy monarch butterflies to be lounging and eating like pandas

IMG_20200819_192653351.jpg
IMG_20200819_192635292.jpg
IMG_20200819_192829218.jpg
IMG_20200819_145329198.jpg
IMG_20200819_192752711.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Potting shed (I'll be posting progress in the workin man thread if ya wanna follow along):
It was hit by a fallen tree during a tornado we had in October but was already rotting and infested with rodents.

IMG_20200819_163523599.jpg

IMG_20200819_140118803_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200819_185533638.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It looks like a nice solid foundation misty... loads of character in that setting. We look forward to see you work your magic on this one!

Is that a bbq in the corner? Just screams outdoor kitchen, after all every big garden needs an outdoor canning spot...
I'm pretty sure they have a nice outdoor kitchen right behind the house the she shed is a couple hundred feet from the house.

it turns out that she was never a gardener but when she retired knew she had to find something to quench your creative appetite or she would go crazy so she turned to gardening. She's very passionate and warm. it turns out she had gotten a tick bite that laid her out and she had to abandoned the whole thing for a while and then it got away from her which then caused the spiral effect of depression and despair. Beating up buy already made two trips to the house had several phone calls and was getting an abnormal amount of concern. I knew they had some problems with contractors in the past and thought it was that but it was still over the top. After speaking with her for a while yesterday walking around the garden I came to learn just how important this is to her and how much it means to her getting back on track. I can just going through the very same thing I told her explicitly I am here to help you and we will revitalize this and give you that push that you need to regain momentum. Right away our Rrapport and our team work has been fluid and complimentary. There are some changes we need to make but nobody has any set ideas or plans so we're winging it with our intuition and letting the environment dictates certain things. It's a real joy to serve in such s capacity while exercising my creative and physical outlet all the while getting paid. After having a lot of piss poor client's, this one is a gem

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This was the first shot I took of the caterpillars but somehow didn't make it into the first post. After this shot I tried to take pictures of 1 upside down under a leaf in the camera refused to focus on him. I tried for a couple of minutes and couldn't focus on him. I think it must be the stripes in the darker lighting throwing off the focus.
Eric had been inspiring me to get a real camera.
IMG_20200819_143201912.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Weapons of mass destruction
IMG_20200819_190006934.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What's scrimshaw whale teeth mean?
Back in whaling days, sailors would have weeks of boredom just sailing to the ends of the earth before they got to where the whales were. So they would take whale's teeth from previous catches, and carefully scratch designs, motifs, pictures on them with needles and sharp gadgets.

Then they would rub carbon black into the scratches. Bingo. Scrimshaw.

Some of them were fantastic artists. To give you an idea of value, just lookit here:

http://www.josephjthomasantiques.com/Antique-Scrimshaw/antiques/11

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Back in whaling days, sailors would have weeks of boredom just sailing to the ends of the earth before they got to where the whales were. So they would take whale's teeth from previous catches, and carefully scratch designs, motifs, pictures on them with needles and sharp gadgets.

Then they would rub carbon black into the scratches. Bingo. Scrimshaw.

Some of them were fantastic artists. To give you an idea of value, just lookit here:

http://www.josephjthomasantiques.com/Antique-Scrimshaw/antiques/11
Ah yes,I've seen that before.. I think it was on g i m as a matter of fact. Thank you for the explanation

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wow walt, you must of really stood in the gap for that fellow to let those go... great to see it was appreciated!
He was so fargin casual when he handed me the package.

It wasn't until I thought to trade one of them for some herb -- and then I did a little checking to see *if* they were worth anything at all...

Damn' near catted on the spot!! JEEEBUS! He gave me a fargin $10,000 collection!!!

Same offer goes here: I will trade any one of them (your choice) for a fair comparison in herb.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This was the first shot I took of the caterpillars but somehow didn't make it into the first post. After this shot I tried to take pictures of 1 upside down under a leaf in the camera refused to focus on him. I tried for a couple of minutes and couldn't focus on him. I think it must be the stripes in the darker lighting throwing off the focus.
Eric had been inspiring me to get a real camera.
View attachment 177464
AWWWW. Lookit the happy little piggy. cool::beer:

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Lost a 50+ year old Sycamore tree in our old backyard after that hurricane a couple weeks back. Luckily it fell straight back into the wood instead of into any of the 3 houses it could have reached. My kid behind the root ball. I read the Sycamore can turn out pretty nice looking, gonna have to save some for future projects.