• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I could hear today's mascot coming up from a mile away. In fact I thought it was a human being at first, then a deer.

Got Within a foot of it for a few minutes and it never knew I was there. Heard me a couple times and trotted off for several feet and then went right back to scavenging.

Screenshot_20200824-135832.png
IMG_20200824_135523177.jpg
IMG_20200824_135551328.jpg

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I could hear today's mascot coming up from a mile away. In fact I thought it was a human being at first, then a deer.

Got Within a foot of it for a few minutes and it never knew I was there. Heard me a couple times and trotted off for several feet and then went right back to sleep.

View attachment 178003 View attachment 178000 View attachment 178002
Grab em by the tail and hold on for a cork screwing good time. Nothing like catching a pre-historic creature, that might carry leprosy :)

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Awesome! I have never seen one out in the wild.
They're common as squirrels around here. They keep on diggin' little holes in my lawn to get worms and such. Ugly face, but cute ears.

And they are NOISY. I cannot count the times I hit the "Battle Stations" alarm upon hearing a giant buck walking under my treestand... only to see a small, trundling tank:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
They're common as squirrels around here. They keep on diggin' little holes in my lawn to get worms and such. Ugly face, but cute ears.

And they are NOISY. I cannot count the times I hit the "Battle Stations" alarm upon hearing a giant buck walking under my treestand... only to see a small, trundling tank:

So the noise they make is just from moving through the brush and such?

I am reminded one time when I was out hiking at Jay Cooke State Park (Northern MN), I was about 2 miles out on a 5 mile trail loop when I heard something noisy moving through the woods. At first I thought deer, then realized it was making too much noise to be deer. So then all I could figure is it must be people making so much noise. Then I see it, a black bear comes running fast up over the hill top and runs by me (about 40 feet away) just barreling through the woods and knocking down branches and anything in its path.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Three noisiest creatchy-poos by weight:

Armadildoes -- for ten pounds, they make a bigger racket than a running buck.

Bears -- They sorta don't givvashit. Crackling bushes, tearing bark off old logs... Meh, to them.

Oinks -- Even standing still, they make more fargin noise than anything. They grunt basso profundo, and two seconds later, a loud high squeal. And they congregate in big groups that resemble Delta House partying.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So I had never seen one either until a couple years after moving here. I was hiking around the lake on a skinny dirt path and as I'm walking by heres this armadillo totally oblivious to me as im standing over him curiously.

Fast forward a few years I spotted a giant one out in the backyard at night. Grab my flashlight and kind of followed him around for a bit then got too close to him and all of a sudden..... The mfr BOUNCED straight up in the air 3 feet! I damn near got hit in the head. Gave me a good shock.
So I went in on the internet found out that sure enough the suckers can jump a meter in the air!

Last edited:

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
@ Newmisty:
What is that thing? Looks like a treehouse or deck extension of some sort. Looks like ok planning but perhaps poor carpentry and execution. And perhaps it's showing its age. Love appears to be a White Oak in the background.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.31.54 PM.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
@ Newmisty:
What is that thing? Looks like a treehouse or deck extension of some sort. Looks like ok planning but perhaps poor carpentry and execution. And perhaps it's showing its age. Love appears to be a White Oak in the background.
Sweet southern Belle's she-shed was shocking struck in a storm.

Screenshot_20200826-090936.png

Screenshot_20200826-091309.png

IMG_20200825_182214016_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20200824_194841793_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20200824_194718717_BURST001.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IMG_20200828_172737239~2.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
There's another name for skylight: roof leak.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I was a commercial/industrial GC for decades and so have an extensive history of troubleshooting roof leaks. Where there was a leak on a roof with skylight(s) installed, that was the place to start looking. Not necessarily because of the roof penetration, there are all sorts of those and if they are correctly curbed, don't typically cause leaks. It's the rubber gaskets and drainage channels built into the frames which get hard and brittle and clogged respectively.

I think the biggest part of getting a leak free (for a while anyway) skylight is having a skilled and knowledgeable roofer who gives a shit, and the probability of that is quite a bit below 50/50 these days. Residential roofers theses days know how to nail shingles but wouldn't know can't strips or counterflashing if they bit him on the leg.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just got home and found out who the tadpoles belong to. As I watched, the bigger, more developed guys would come up to get a gulp of air. They had tiny little frog legs. Cute little guys. Then lo and behold here I was paying attention to the tadpoles when all of a sudden my light hit the frog amd I was like, "Woah! Froggie!"
Have yet to ID it.

Oh yeah and the big tadpole with the red looking eyes was more developed than any of the others and different in behavior to because he came up very inquisitive, staring at me, much like his parent, while the others escaped in a hurry or they would slowly sink down.

Screenshot_20200829-224608.png

IMG_20200829_222125908.jpg

IMG_20200829_223151338.jpg

Screenshot_20200829-224436.png

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I was a commercial/industrial GC for decades and so have an extensive history of troubleshooting roof leaks. Where there was a leak on a roof with skylight(s) installed, that was the place to start looking. Not necessarily because of the roof penetration, there are all sorts of those and if they are correctly curbed, don't typically cause leaks. It's the rubber gaskets and drainage channels built into the frames which get hard and brittle and clogged respectively.

I think the biggest part of getting a leak free (for a while anyway) skylight is having a skilled and knowledgeable roofer who gives a shit, and the probability of that is quite a bit below 50/50 these days. Residential roofers theses days know how to nail shingles but wouldn't know can't strips or counterflashing if they bit him on the leg.
99% of roofers I see and hear do NOT even know how to nail shingles. They know how to put nails in shingles, as fast as humanly possible. But they do not take any care whatsoever to be mindful of the penetration depth. Don't let me get going.

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just got home and found out who the tadpoles belong to. As I watched, the bigger, more developed guys would come up to get a gulp of air. They had tiny little frog legs. Cute little guys. Then lo and behold here I was paying attention to the tadpoles when all of a sudden my light hit the frog amd I was like, "Woah! Froggie!"
Have yet to ID it.

Oh yeah and the big tadpole with the red looking eyes was more developed than any of the others and different in behavior to because he came up very inquisitive, staring at me, much like his parent, while the others escaped in a hurry or they would slowly sink down.

View attachment 178735

View attachment 178734

View attachment 178733

View attachment 178736
1st one looks like Shifty Schiff!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IMG_20200828_183712385.jpg

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Juke Walmart Aug 20 small.jpg

Me and Juke getting some fuel down by the Walmart.
Nobody is cheaper.

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Can't find the random video thread, but this is the bird thread so I will drop this here. Mods move or delete if in violation. Thanks.
I got two hummingbirds living here now. Here is one.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
View attachment 179009

Me and Juke getting some fuel down by the Walmart.
Nobody is cheaper.
Usually when I fill up my tanks, I will drive to a Southern States Co-Op and fill them. Then they are full for about the same price at Wal-Mart. By the way, the tanks you exchange for at Wally World are not full. Or anywhere else for that matter, that exchange them.

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Usually when I fill up my tanks, I will drive to a Southern States Co-Op and fill them. Then they are full for about the same price at Wal-Mart. By the way, the tanks you exchange for at Wally World are not full. Or anywhere else for that matter, that exchange them.
There is a Southern States in the Elizabethtown area, I don't know where. There is a guy down the street who has two big versions of propane tanks they come fill. I will investigate. I would like to have a propane stove if that is possible. We have natgas down the street, but they won't bring it up the street for some reason.

Easy to find, not a lot online but they do have this:
Propane Gas
Whether you need to re-fill tanks for your RV, gas grill or your forklift at the store, or need a propane delivery - we got you covered! If you need to rent a tank for your construction site, event or farm needs - we can set you up with a Commercial Account - no problem! See us first!
DELIVERY:
We deliver to homes within a 30 mile radius.
*Setup cost of running any lines to the tank may apply*
Propane and refill at the store for...
  • 20 lb tanks
  • 30 lb tanks
  • 40 lbs tanks
  • RV's
  • Forklifts
Edit: They had this posted on their faceplant page: Special sale alert! Come refill your grill tanks for just $10 now until Labor Day!

I'm going today, got an empty. lol
Edit 2: $10 exactly, they include the tax. Sweet.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 8.37.03 AM.png

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Have yet to ID it.

View attachment 178735

View attachment 178734

View attachment 178733

View attachment 178736
Thassa leopard frog. Not very big, but tasty.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just snapped these

IMG_20200902_134402029~2.jpg
IMG_20200902_134359244~2.jpg