• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice one Tom. I had to do a double-take to make sure that second row of birds wasn't a Photoshop of the same bird very distinct contrast with all of their heads up and uniform in color and then he the only one with his bill down with the addition of the bright color and being by himself,quite a stand out

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The "circle" is made of 2 sine waves. Each channel with a 90 degree phase difference plotted in XY mode.
I get what you're saying though.
Back in The Olden Days, that would have had folks hypnotized. I built my own O-scope... I cannot remember the name of the company that used to sell kits. I even built a color TV set.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Back in The Olden Days, that would have had folks hypnotized. I built my own O-scope... I cannot remember the name of the company that used to sell kits. I even built a color TV set.
Hey Unca? When did the olden days end IYO?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hey Unca? When did the olden days end IYO?
IMO? Well... I invented some circuitry (such as a fuse that would blow/trigger 100 nanoamps <-- it detected dendrite growth)... and I invented electronic jewelry such as a pin in the shape of a passenger plane with the lights blinking, or an owl with his eyes blinking, blinking bow ties, etc. It was an astable multivibrator with colored diodes. And for Halloween, I invented a "people detector" from part of a junked TV set <-- If you got near it, there was a speaker that gave off a very loud buzz.

Also invented absolutely safe Christmas tree lights: A set of neon bulbs each of which was surrounded by "penny caps" that formed a flower. A string of 20 blinking flowers would be powered by a single battery.

Picture this painted silver and mated with seven others in a tight circle to form flower petals... with a neon bulb in the center:

1605476813420.png

1605477575318.png

Vaguely like this below, but mine was far nicer because the background was solid, not empty, and there would be 8 penny caps and just a simple wire pair like on any Christmas tree from light to light instead of the ugly base on this POC:
1605477005985.png

All of the above -- including an electronic battleship game (before the commercial one came out) <-- It used the kind of plugs telephone operators would use -- were made with discrete components. Three-legged transistors, discrete capacitors and resistors and diodes.

Meanwhile, I was making myself obsolete by designing microchips.

So, for me, The Olden Days was back before the PS/2 came out and changed the world. Nowadays, components are designed as specific-function grouped stuff: resistors/caps/diodes/yada all on one piece of silicon.

No more birchbark canoes -- everybody has Ski-Doos

Last edited:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just came across a picture I took years ago in San Francisco, on my 35mm Pentax k1000.
佛光

20201115_150027~2.jpg

Last edited:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
IMO? Well... I invented some circuitry (such as a fuse that would blow/trigger 100 nanoamps <-- it detected dendrite growth)... and I invented electronic jewelry such as a pin in the shape of a passenger plane with the lights blinking, or an owl with his eyes blinking, blinking bow ties, etc. It was an astable multivibrator with colored diodes. And for Halloween, I invented a "people detector" from part of a junked TV set <-- If you got near it, there was a speaker that gave off a very loud buzz.
Fun stuff. I have a special place in my heart for LEDs.

Been tinkering a bit lately with logic circuits and LEDs. Then I decided to look at some old boards I saved from being recycled at work. When I saved them it was mostly so I could pull any switches, resistors, capacitors, basic stuff. It has(/had) a pair of interesting writable 32K CMOS ICs. So I pulled one out today to experiment with.

For no good reason and inspired a bit by a video on youtube by Ben Eater, I put together this circuit that can read and write to this CMOS chip, then went ahead and programmed in the addresses of 0 through 9 to values that correlate to the digits on a 7 segment LED display to show numbers. The dip switches control the address being displayed or written to. The switch on the lower right puts the chip in to read or write mode and the button on the left writes to the address when pushed and in write mode. No power switch. If the voltage goes below 2V I lose all those values! :D Yeah, yeah, maybe I should get some EEPROMs.

The row of LEDs displays the individual bits. I like how the binary of 7 happens to match up in the order of the LEDs on the display to show 7.

CMOS-Circuit-2020-11-17-Img_9162S.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
What did you use to interface with and program the ic?

I haven’t messed with this stuff for a couple decades.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
What did you use to interface with and program the ic?

I haven’t messed with this stuff for a couple decades.
I used the circuit itself. I used the dip switches to set the address then with write mode enabled I wired positive directly to the IO pins which I wanted to be set high then clicked the write button. Completely manually programmed byte by byte (just 16 bytes, 0-F).

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I used the circuit itself. I used the dip switches to set the address then with write mode enabled I wired positive directly to the IO pins which I wanted to be set high then clicked the write button. Completely manually programmed byte by byte (just 16 bytes, 0-F).
That's a labor of love...

In electronics school we used these 8"x8" square boxes to machine code each line.
I think 8088's?

I wish I had one of those today!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
White Ibis

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 8.01.14 AM.png

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just figured out I can post bigger next time

1. Bisbee High School..IIRC the only high school with 4 entrances, all on a different level.
2,3,4,5...parking is a premium
6. Tom Mix memorial. Huge Silent movie idol, on way to Bisbee
7. My 98 50th Anniversary Land Rover Discovery...(taking offers, can deliver)
8. Saw this getting before we went off road
9. Saw this coming back from off road...old phart at the wheel
10. In the neighborhood
11. Around the house Desert Rose
12. FINALLY, after 10 years and different plants, got one to take hold, Plumeria, from Kauai
13. Backyard, tree thinned out and new sod
14. Sable on morning watch
15. Sable on food watch
16. Snug, spoiled

Attachments

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Good friend just sent me pictures of this mornings sunrise on the Big Island(Hawaii). Incredible!
IMG_6575~2.jpg

IMG_6573~2.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
^ If I am ever asked what it is I am most grateful for, it would have to be the capacity to appreciate beauty. Glad I might not be alone.
:beer:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
No, found it online... Probably should have mentioned that...
That's a good thing because it's a testament to your skills/gear

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
That's a good thing because it's a testament to your skills/gear
If you're on FB check out this group: Colorado Bird Photography

There are some awesome shooters there. The best pics are from one guy using a Sony alpha9. I figure he's got at least $7k invested in gear.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If you're on FB check out this group: Colorado Bird Photography

There are some awesome shooters there. The best pics are from one guy using a Sony alpha9. I figure he's got at least $7k invested in gear.
I ditched it years ago

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Not exactly a picture, but you'll get the picture....

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
If that were my snake, it just volunteered to be boots.
Boots, belts, and hatbands...

You see all the blood dripping off her hand??

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 10.40.01 AM.png

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Excellent image of your hunting partner on full-tilt, playing fetch with a leg.

Golden Regards
Uncle

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Fun stuff. I have a special place in my heart for LEDs.

Been tinkering a bit lately with logic circuits and LEDs. Then I decided to look at some old boards I saved from being recycled at work. When I saved them it was mostly so I could pull any switches, resistors, capacitors, basic stuff. It has(/had) a pair of interesting writable 32K CMOS ICs. So I pulled one out today to experiment with.

For no good reason and inspired a bit by a video on youtube by Ben Eater, I put together this circuit that can read and write to this CMOS chip, then went ahead and programmed in the addresses of 0 through 9 to values that correlate to the digits on a 7 segment LED display to show numbers. The dip switches control the address being displayed or written to. The switch on the lower right puts the chip in to read or write mode and the button on the left writes to the address when pushed and in write mode. No power switch. If the voltage goes below 2V I lose all those values! :D Yeah, yeah, maybe I should get some EEPROMs.

The row of LEDs displays the individual bits. I like how the binary of 7 happens to match up in the order of the LEDs on the display to show 7.

View attachment 189476
If I had any clue of what you just said, I doubt I would be less impressed.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Pictures of pictures i took years and years ago. Mozart's home on our high school band's European tour my sophomore year. We went every 2 years freshmen excluded. We sold wreaths to help differ costs and my grandparents paid what that didnt cover.

20201115_145829~2.jpg

------------

The whale i captured during a whale watch off of Bar Harbor, Maine. (Net pic to set scene)

We were most fortunate that's not long after getting out there did a mother humpback and her calf say hello and give us a little display. It was incredible. . That whale knew exactly what we were doing and knew we were no threat. You could then sed her motion to the baby as if to explain what we were before giving us a tail slap on the water after breaching high in the air. A very special event that light us up light like StOnEy on the job.
i was taking pictures with my k1000 and captured this one and a better one that of course I cannot find right now. It's by far the best photograph I've taken imo. Any way this one isn't too bad.

20201115_145933~2.jpg