• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Got into watching climbing vids after building an indoor climbing wall for someone. Fun sport.

Careful or you might end up removing the stairs to your basement like me!
20210123_164747.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I saw 9 deer run by and into my woods. Then they kind of scattered in random directions. It was rather chaotic. I was surprised that this buck still had his antlers. He purposefully bumped them into trees as he walked by so I gotta figure he's going to drop them somewhere soon.
Deer-2021-01-24-Img_9842SS.jpg

Deer-2021-01-24-Img_9853SS.jpg

Eagle-2021-01-24-Img_9826SS.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Dang, cracker, I thought only my plastic buckets looked like that.

BF

hahahahaa!.....that was an old bucket for plants and was out in the sun to long...if I just look at it parts fall off

i plan on organizing new buckets because I have all of this new chit now , called shark bites , expensive but easy to work with

check out the layers

all the original floor is a hodgepodge of one byes that looked like boards for shipping crates..1x4‘s up to 1x11’s..

9C2B9A53-F724-4711-A9BC-EC0022754619.jpeg

98A984B9-3E7D-480D-A48A-9329F3D83CE5.jpeg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
The one by's are from ammo crates, same as the place I had across the street.

You getting that place ready to sell?

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The original builders spliced the joists.

Reminds me of a while back as several of us bought an WWII era house in Marietta, Ga to remodel as our office. Whoever built it had 12' 2x6's for framing, that was all and they made them work for everything.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
that is the plan

buy a sailboat and head south

stick a fork in me

The sailboat below would be a pretty nice one to disappear on------

Though it would take a couple of people to crew.

DSC00452.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The sailboat below would be a pretty nice one to disappear on------

Though it would take a couple of people to crew.

View attachment 199897

in my dreams.....

hahahaha , I’m looking at a 26’ Contessa , very seaworthy and able to sail offshore , no problems.

singlehanded boat is what i want , I don’t need no stinking crew

fits my budget too @$15k

161E6971-DB4E-4405-B288-8E38D9322B8F.jpeg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
in my dreams.....

hahahaha , I’m looking at a 26’ Contessa , very seaworthy and able to sail offshore , no problems.

fits my budget too @$15k

View attachment 199903
I know a woman that sailed herself from Portland Maine to the bahamas on a 26' er. After her 3rd graduated hs.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
53a1b23569beddd906b62c32.jpeg

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This is pretty cool, I've called it a swinging bridge, a turnstile bridge. I don't think there are many functioning versions of these railroad bridges in the US. I know there was one, a road bridge, that gave access to Isle of Palms outside of Charleston, SC back in the early 90's but some hurricane knocked it out. I was running a project there at the time and went over it a couple of times a day.

This picture is of a local swing bridge. It's still functional, 4-5, maybe more, freight trains a day pass over it.
DSC06588.jpg
tend to keep it open unless a train is close.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Sunrise from my daughter's house in Sweden last month

IMG-20201230-WA0009.jpg

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
DSC00683.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
1612220877335.png

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

Last spring, I went (in my camper) on a drive in Sweden with my daughter who lives in Copenhagen - in a rent-controlled tiny apartment - to help her look at prospective "second / vacation homes"...
She'd made up a list in her price range, and we drove a lot, and there wasn't anything on her list that would work.... The last house we saw needed 3x its price in renovations... but I liked the town. It was the last house on her list. I asked her if there were any other listings in that town, and there were 3.
The last one was this place, on top of a hill, only 1 mile from downtown village with all commodities, view of the lake, long driveway from the road, but enough neighbors within view so thieves with a moving truck would be reported... $180 grand with about 5 acres. A pittance in property taxes. About $50k of improvements to do. I told her that it was the best spot I'd seen that day, and they ended up getting it.

Wouldn't have happened if I hadn't given her $100k for a downpayment on a house, a couple years before, with STRICT instructions that it should be kept in a SEPARATE ACCOUNT FOR THAT PURPOSE... (gotta wait 'til the kids are at least 35 with families before doing that!!!).

Went there for 2 weeks in September, but then there were a lot of lockdowns elsewhere in Europe, so we ended up staying 4 months. I set up her workshop, and did a lot of repairs etc... Worst was rebuilding the walls of the living-room, where she'd removed the wallpaper with a steamer. Instead of sheetrock, it was a sort of cork-particle-board that soaked up the water... I would have covered it with sheetrock but that would have meant replacing all the moldings and window sills... so it took me 6 weeks (of working all night with projectors) and 40 GALLONS of MUD to refinish the walls in ONE ROOM.... kept bubbling up, having to be carved out, more fiber & mud....

Now she knows to NOT use the steamer on wallpaper, but to peel off what's loose, and spread mud on what's well stuck... avoiding that problem.

Next visit, I might upgrade their electric... In the '80's the place got a new kitchen & bathrooms, but too many outlets on one kitchen circuit, and the fuse panel has 5 unused circuits... But I have to brush up on Swedish power outlets & wall switches - wasn't able to remove the covers!!!

And I made a big boo-boo.... The workshop shed with asbestos-cement corrugated roof had a bunch of branches above it, so I got a rope to tie to the end of the 1st branch, put the ladder against the trunk, but sawed too deep my first cut at the bottom and wedged the blade... Got it out hammering a wedge, but then the branch decided to break and fall on the roof, crushing through one of the roof panels... Grrrr! Idiot! haha

At the building supply store, they didn't have any matching shape panels... but in their dumpster they had pieces of metal roofing (from "cut to order")... Brought some back. The workshop was on the back of the property, so I removed a good panel from the back of the roof and installed it where I'd broken the panel in front, and inserted the mismatching metal roofing in the back, so that was done...

Then time to drive 1700 miles home before new travel restrictions just after New Year...

Was a nice diversion...

Last edited:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
in my dreams.....

fits my budget too @$15k

View attachment 199903

I had friends, a hippie couple, back in the 1970s, who sailed a small sailboat from France to Sainte Lucie in the Caribbean, with a stop in the Azores or the Canaries... I bet that they, poor as dirt, early 20's, had the barest minimum boat & equipment, & she was pregnant, but they made it...
I'm too yellow to attempt that...

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Uh... something doesn't sound right... Seems like the the airplane was already disabled if the pilot was shot while he was parachuting... The logic doesn't "click" for me...

I heard about that before, the story goes the shot down American pilot in a parachute, using his pistol, shot and killed a Japanese pilot in a plane who was trying to machine gun him.

I grew up wing shooting, used to hunt dove, quail, ducks and shot skeet and trap for decades. A fast bird out there and you'd have to lead it 8'+ at times. Using a .45ACP, wonder how far you have to lead a 330 MPH Zero?

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I heard about that before, the story goes the shot down American pilot in a parachute, using his pistol, shot and killed a Japanese pilot in a plane who was trying to machine gun him.
... definitely makes more sense than what I read above...

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I am lucky I have not maimed myself yet
Wasn't being critical but please be careful. Those digits on your hands and feet will be needed to commandeer your sailboat.
A guy on a crew that I worked on cut into his toe. Held the 2x with his foot with the guard wedged upright.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I am lucky I have not maimed myself yet

Having worked construction (pipe-fitter, plumber, carpenter's helper, electrician's helper, roofer's helper, mason's tender etc.), I have come to the (personal) conclusion that by REMOVING most of the "safety features" on power tools, for instance wiring up the guard on a circular skill saw, so that you can actually SEE what you're doing, makes you RESPECT THE TOOL, and not set it down until it's stopped spinning....
The guards on side-grinders I keep on, they don't "get in the way"....
And always leather gloves (I prefer form-fitting tig-welding gloves, where you can really feel what you're touching), and safety glasses or goggles or face-mask, and always LONG SLEEVES and THICK PANTS, even in very hot weather, and steel-toe/sole shoes or boots...
Gotta RESPECT the power of ANY power tool. You can strangle yourself to death with a simple drill if your scarf gets caught by the bit...

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have a trailer in town, and I am replacing the crappy fiberglass sink with a passable stainless. The old owners had made a crappy repair under the faucet using particle board. Of course, their repair was water damaged and I had to repair that. So I used some clear trim board, not as strong as plywood, but okay for taking up space and not failing if it ever gets moist.

Anyway, I have different kinds of wood going on this countertop, and I need to open it up for a larger sink. I have a nifty mini version of a skilsaw, and it did a nice job on the first cut. But when I went to use it on the mixed woods, as I was lowering it into the cut, it launched itself horizontally. Damn, I will do it slower next time! Nope. Same thing happened, it grabbed as I was lowering it into the cut and launched itself again.

There was no third time. My fingers are worth more than that. I did the rest of the cutting with my oscillating tool. It is slow and loud. But precise, and... safe.

If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one. They are great for detail work. Door trim? Window trim? Need to cut PVC close to a wall? They can greatly reduce your job profanities.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one. They are great for detail work. Door trim? Window trim? Need to cut PVC close to a wall? They can greatly reduce your job profanities.
Feck yeah, Someone_else. Those tools are the bomb. I was given a multi tool as a Christmas gift a few years back. Thought it was such a sweet gesture for someone to spend all that money on me. Then I noticed the tool @ Harbor Freight for $19.99. The one I was given lasted a year and I abused it so when it stopped working, I just went up and got another $20.00 model.

Blades are important choices with these tools. A cheap blade is not going to last long.