• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

The new Random Pictures Thread:

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Crop dusters?

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Crop dusters?
Good eye. It looks like they might be. Searched for images of crop dusters and noticed the apparatus on the back end of the wing and these both had them.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
At times they are like mosquitos around here.

FYI If they put up wind turbines crop dusters can't fly within a certain distance by regs. The means more bug damage and less yield lowering farm profits and raising the price of food.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20210828_012528~3.jpg

20210828_012937~2.jpg

20210828_012104~3.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
How old is that Melody Maker and it's worth? I knew a guy that had one 50 years or so ago...sweet sound! Do you play it too?
My friend's employee, who left just as I arrived, has just left it there and belonged to his grandfather I believe. I played it last night for a little while. The first thing I said when I saw it was, "it's so cute!" ....my friend was holding it and is 6 ft 6 so it looked very shrunken.

It's fantastically light. It played very easy. Put a nice, clean, slightly distorted tone with a wah and I quickly realized I was way overplaying so, took a breath and relaxed, and the less I played, the better the sound and easier it was to play. It was me on guitar, my buddy on drums and a guy I had never met, freestyling vocals. So I was greating the grooves/ sound and holding down the melodies. I hadn't picked up a guitar in at least a few months now, though I own a few. I've actually started concentrating on the keys lately. I've been playing the four basic instruments in some capacity for a few decades. Proficiency goes 1) drums 2) guitar 3) bass 4) keys.

Typically I play the acoustic so when I pick up an electric im usually manhandling it anyway so that didn't help but it was comparatively one of the easiest playing necks I've ever played. The light weightedness helped as well and I just a couple days ago heard Allan Holdsworth talk about his Carvin model there's no headstock in describing the benefits including the lightweight being so much easier on your body.
Sound was great, didn't mess with the knobs because the sound was dialed in perfectly.
I believe it is an early-late 60's model but don't know the actual.

Has a very hard time finding good lighting

20210828_012747~3.jpg

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
when I pick up an electric im usually manhandling it anyway
that's my problem. There's a certain 'touch' one needs to play electric.

I'm an acoustic player. I don't play hard, but it is deliberate. I'm not just a strummer, I put chord melodies in the structure.

If I try electric, it's akin to going from a manual typewriter to an IBM 'selectric... too much emphasis...

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

I'm an acoustic player. I don't play hard, but it is deliberate. I'm not just a strummer, I put chord melodies in the structure.

If I try electric, it's akin to going from a manual typewriter to an IBM 'selectric... too much emphasis...
You got it!

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
White River
Click on for full image
20210827_151513~4.jpg

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You got it!
UTTERLY OUT THERE TRIVIA: If you put a tape recorder microphone right down by the IBM Selectric printer ball, and hold down a key that repeats (like underscore key), the recording comes out indistinguishable from machine-gun fire. TINS

Alton

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Seriously, try a lighter gauge string set on your acoustic. I started doing that back in the '70's and I used electric guitar strings instead of the bronze acoustic strings. A world of difference in playability and riffs that I used to only be able to play on electric I could then play on acoustic.

Today I get my strings from Strings and Beyond. I use the Curt Mangan brand Pure nickel round core .0095 gauge or same gauge in Pyramid brand round core nickel. Actually thinking about going back to .009s because it's easier for me to execute near perfectly in tune bends. With the 0095 gauge I end up short on hitting the note but I love the lightly warmer, richer tone of the nickel strings in .0095 gauge. My experiments with .009s have shown that they will keep the warm rich tones with only a minor increase in brightness which will is both tolerable and pleasant to the ear. Just have to use up all my .0095s now before I stock up on the .009s. Of course they offer a wide selection of acoustic strings too, also in lighter gauges again affording the player the benefits of lighter gauge strings. Yes, they also offer the widest array of bass strings I've ever seen in both brands available and in gauges available. Yes, I do have to provide proper care and feeding of more instruments than I should have but I do love them all. Fortunately I don't have to string my kazoos and electric washboard.

Despite popular opinion I haven't lost mind here. Lighter gauge strings will cause you to NOT have to manhandle your acoustic or an electric. You will have to readjust your fingering technique slightly...no more strangleholds or heavy callouses on your fingers. Chords you found difficult will become easier to play, ability to play faster passages will increase and if you're a finger picker you'll be even more amazed at the expansion of your dynamics in playing soft or loud passages. You'll find your forearm, hand and fingers will be happier, more focused and relaxed. Lighter gauge strings really are a game changer.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Why?

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 12.32.38 PM.png

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
She can lick up and down, at the same time.

Yuck.

Golden Regards
Uncle

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Alton

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
She really can speak with forked tongue. Surprised not a political candidate! Too obvious a liar?

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
She'll be an interesting resident at the nursing home in about 70 yrs if she lives that long.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Turns out this is the third different spider...just compared pics and markings. Guess I have a pack of wolves.

3rd
20210831_233141~2.jpg

2nd
20210819_132805~2.jpg

1st
20210714_115457~2.jpg

Couldn't ask for better pets really. Don't need to feed em
Don't ask to be let in/out
Don't smell
Don't shed
Completely silent
Kills unwanted pests
Keeps place cleaner
Scares people away!
:D

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Turns out this is the third different spider...just compared pics and markings. Guess I have a pack of wolves.

3rd
View attachment 223529
2nd
View attachment 223530
1st
View attachment 223531

Don't smell
Don't shed
Completely silent
Kills unwanted pests
Keeps place cleaner
Scares people away!
Crawls on you while you sleep............................... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Crawls on you while you sleep............................... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Awww, they just want to snuggle!

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Don't smell
Don't shed
Completely silent
Kills unwanted pests
Keeps place cleaner
Scares people away!

Awesome. :2 thumbs up:

About a month ago I had a whole bunch of tiny jumping spiders hatch inside. It was almost silly how many there were. They were dropping from the ceiling all over the place.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Last year there were 46 turkeys wandering around our little town. They left in the fall like they do every year and return usually by next fall. We only had two birds that stayed in town all summer.

Well they have started to come back and look what they brought with them. We counted 9 babies that must have hatched out this spring.

With the odds against them , it’s a miracle that any babies survive.

Wild turkeys face the challenge of survival every second. The egg, from the time its laid through incubation, faces six weeks of threat from raccoons, skunks, snakes, coyotes and crows, just to name a few. Poults, after hatching until they are able to fly, spend two weeks hiding from owls, hawks, raccoons, coyotes and many other wild animals looking for an easy meal.

With proper habitat, however, wild turkey populations can readily withstand predation pressures. Their high reproductive rate is a safeguard against the uncertainty of nest and poult survival. Still, even after they are able to fly, poults remain vulnerable to predators, weather, diseases and accidents.

Of all variables that affect wild turkey populations, disease is most difficult to factor. Many diseases either directly kill a turkey or make it more susceptible to predation, which means the evidence of disease is often never detected; therefore, it is usually difficult to determine the impact of disease on local wild turkey populations. Here are some of the most common and devastating diseases that affect wild turkey populations.

790F3C71-3180-49CC-AC21-764F57D2EBC7.jpeg

F4568A8C-73F1-4462-9C1A-628322A6539B.jpeg

AEA799FB-9F96-4EF5-A44C-B44C73C11734.jpeg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
This exact plane just flew over the house... sounded thunderous....

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 7.47.58 AM.png

Boeing B-29 Superfortress​

As beautiful today as when she rolled out of the Boeing plant! Truly astonishing to see the world's only airworthy Boeing B-29 SuperFortress

FIFI was acquired by the CAF in the early 1970s when a group of CAF members found her at the U.S. Navy Proving Ground at China Lake, California where she was being used as a missile target. The airplane was rescued and restored and flew for over thirty years until 2006 when the chief pilot made the decision to ground her pending a complete power plant re-fit. What followed was an extensive four year restoration that included replacing all four engines with new custom built hybrid engines. FIFI returned to the sky in 2010 and since that time has traveled coast to coast attracting large crowds at every tour stop.

Base:

B-29/B-24 Squadron
Fort Worth, TX

http://www.airpowersquadron.org/

Apparently, she's in town for the Labor Day weekend. Sold out.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.01.13 AM.png

Last edited:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I may have posted this one before but I recently won a photo contest with it and this image will be the February picture for the 2022 Spyderco calender.

My own hand shaped ironwood handle on a Spyderco Mule blade.
Congrats on the contest! Excellent photo and craftsmanship. :2 thumbs up:

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
1631240341538.png

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I may have posted this one before but I recently won a photo contest with it and this image will be the February picture for the 2022 Spyderco calender.

My own hand shaped ironwood handle on a Spyderco Mule blade.

View attachment 223808
Damn bro

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20210910_181556~2.jpg

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
That better be rubber or your going to need to fix the floor!

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Rubber Joke

1631496666969.png