• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Things I didn't know about food

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
There is all sorts of interesting things I have learned. Some of you probably already knew this stuff. Anyone have any others?

The first one is huge if you eat boiled eggs. After struggling with sticking eggshells that make deviled eggs a nightmare to cook I learned this a few years ago. Fresh eggs stick and old ones don't. If your making boiled eggs let them sit in the fridge at least a week before boiling. Why didn't someone tell me this decades ago?

The second is recent. When you store onions and potatoes don't store them together. When you have your potatoes and onions in close proximity gases from the onions can hasten sprouting in potatoes,

I'm wondering what else I have been doing wrong?

D-FENZ

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The first one is huge if you eat boiled eggs. After struggling with sticking eggshells that make deviled eggs a nightmare to cook I learned this a few years ago. Fresh eggs stick and old ones don't. If your making boiled eggs let them sit in the fridge at least a week before boiling. Why didn't someone tell me this decades ago?
A trick I learned about getting eggs to peel is after they have been boiling for a minute or 2, whack them with a spoon or butter knife handle to crack the shell on 2 sides. Generally, the shell will slide right off then.

EO 11110

(globohomo) reproduction plan
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
plumber told me to use dawn soap - because it breaks up the gunk that clogs drains/pipes

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
It also helps to add salt to the water. According to my mom vinegar also helps but since salt worked well for me I haven't tried anything else. I have boiled many eggs because I like making egg salad when the celery from the garden is ready.

Speaking of celery:

If you grow celery, instead of waiting for it to get to size and pulling the whole plant at once at the end of the year, you can cut individual ribs off the outside and eat off of them for months. The plants don't mind, you get fresh celery earlier and you can still pull the whole plant when the danger of frost comes at the end of the year.

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Actually, my Mother taught me after boiling the eggs drain and put the eggs in cold water for 5 minutes to cool down.
Peel the cold egg and it comes right off.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
plumber told me to use dawn soap - because it breaks up the gunk that clogs drains/pipes
My plumber told me pour as much of the grease into a jar to cool and pour out later. What is left in the pot or skillet pour cool water and wait until grease and fat solidify on the surface, start cold water faucet fill the container to the top. While the faucet is running pour the entire contents down the drain any clumps use the sprayer braking them up smaller and the drain should pull it on down . Works for Me.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
There is all sorts of interesting things I have learned. Some of you probably already knew this stuff. Anyone have any others?

The second is recent. When you store onions and potatoes don't store them together. When you have your potatoes and onions in close proximity gases from the onions can hasten sprouting in potatoes,

A trick I learned about getting eggs to peel is after they have been boiling for a minute or 2, whack them with a spoon or butter knife handle to crack the shell on 2 sides. Generally, the shell will slide right off then.

Actually, my Mother taught me after boiling the eggs drain and put the eggs in cold water for 5 minutes to cool down.
Peel the cold egg and it comes right off.
I have had good success with my EGG POD. Only does 4 at a Time but that is about what we use at a time.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Buying eggs ahead of time and keeping them is the only reliable method I've found and nothing in the world drives me as nuts as a shell that doesn't peel and you end up ripping half the damn egg apart trying to peel it!

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I put my used grease over the top of the dog food when I feed the dog.
I used to do that too. Still do it with the cats when I back chicken.
You can also add millet to the grease and when it cools throw it outside. Birds like it and the cats like birds so still useful to feed the cats.

Today they got a weasel.. I never even knew we had them round here. They must not be tasty, they just left it out there. Possum will eat it in the next day or 2.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
if I had to remember to put some eggs out for 5 days before I eat them , I would probably forget about them in a day or two

to get more juice out of a lemon roll it around on a hard surface and soften it up as much as possible without squishing it open

also freeze a lemon and then just grate it on a hand grater for some good zest….good in some gin and tonic

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I used to do that too. Still do it with the cats when I back chicken.
You can also add millet to the grease and when it cools throw it outside. Birds like it and the cats like birds so still useful to feed the cats.

Today they got a weasel.. I never even knew we had them round here. They must not be tasty, they just left it out there. Possum will eat it in the next day or 2.
Bad ass cats. Weasels ain't a joke.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Bad ass cats. Weasels ain't a joke.
Yea they are. I got one that's getting old now but I watched him do some amazing shit including teaching the younger one to climb up and down trees after the younger one got stuck up a tree for a couple days. He also brings home squirrels and I watched him set a trap for a dog once.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yea they are. I got one that's getting old now but I watched him do some amazing shit including teaching the younger one to climb up and down trees after the younger one got stuck up a tree for a couple days. He also brings home squirrels and I watched him set a trap for a dog once.
Fur Ninja's

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
The way to tell if an egg has been boiled is to lay it on a flat surface and spin it. If the egg don't spin, it ain't boiled.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Is that true, or are you pulling our leg. Can never tell around these parts.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
probably not, but you might tell me a windy story...........

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
21 posts and it's only been eggs & grease. I was hoping for more hints.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I put my used grease over the top of the dog food when I feed the dog.
Grease is food. If I can use it in my daily meal, maybe eggs or stir fry, that works well. If not, my last resort is giving it to my dog.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
For HB eggs, we use an Instant Pot, 5 mins on high pressure, 5 mins natural release, 5+ mins in an ice bath. You don’t have to peel them, just crack slightly like you were cracking an egg open for an omelet and then twist the top and bottom in opposite directions, comes right off, no peeling.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Grease is food. If I can use it in my daily meal, maybe eggs or stir fry, that works well. If not, my last resort is giving it to my dog.

We either use our bacon grease to cook other things or I lather up a slice of bread and give it to the chickens.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I have a bacon grease jar, the dog doesnt get that. Its for my fried potatoes and hash browns. I eat ALOT of food.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
For HB eggs, we use an Instant Pot, 5 mins on high pressure, 5 mins natural release, 5+ mins in an ice bath. You don’t have to peel them, just crack slightly like you were cracking an egg open for an omelet and then twist the top and bottom in opposite directions, comes right off, no peeling.
See that some good stuff right there. To the naysayers who say this thread hasnt developed fast enough.............:2 thumbs up:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Put crushed egs shells in your coffee grounds to reduce acidity.

Last edited:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I made spina h dig d'udder day & substituted Greek yogurt for sour cream which ended up bumping up the protein content over 10 times. Tastes richer too.

I also use plain Greek yogurt as sour cream on Mexican dishes.

1 serving has 17g protien.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I like eggs fried in bacon grease, over easy or scrambled.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Pasta tip

Rinsing pasta is a bad idea. Rinsing removes the residual cooking water, which contains considerable flavor, nutrition and texture. This water is often used in recipes as the primary base for sauces.other'sthis. To prevent the pasta clumping, add salt and oil to the cooking water before the initial boil. If you are storing the cooked pasta sauceless, toss it with a little olive oil.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i can't think of any combinations, but, this has been on my mind before:

Are there any two foods, that, if prepared properly, no virus or bacteria, good clean food, but, that when these two foods are consumed, you will die, probably die, may die...but the two foods would produce a toxin that could kill you, more than likely kill you...

get what i'm asking?

i can't think of any, but, i'm talking about main-street food, stuff people would regularly eat, not something exotic or something that's not prepared properly, like a blowfish could kill you on it's own, if not prepared properly, i'm saying, if it's good-to-go food, otherwise, can you combine one food with another and have it kill you

you get it...

people eat crap around the globe, if i ate some jack in the box tacos and then had some escargot, could a combination like that, of anything, become toxic, more so that before you ate it, lol

idk...

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Put crushed egs shells in your coffee grounds reduce acidity.
Putting crushed egg shells and a ful book of matches in your tomato planting hole prevents blossom end rot.

One tums (calcarb) under each pepper plant never hurt anything either.

I am not kidding, like that egg spinning deal.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I watched a video that Nick posted and my food thread about cooking scrambled eggs and utilized his methods and found it worked well.

Add some salt to the eggs letting it sit a few minutes to dissolve and help hold in moisture.

Add a little water, he even recommended sparkling, and some fats in the form of butter & or cream.

Cook slow & pull off heat before they're done as they will continue cooking.

Enjoy fluffy eggz

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I like eggs fried in bacon grease, over easy or scrambled.
You'd love my wife's cooking. She only uses one pan to cook with unless she's cooking panycakes. For that she utilizes butter. I always do the frenchies or eggs in butter. Strain the bacon or sausage on a paper towel before serving.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Putting crushed egg shells and a ful book of matches in your tomato planting hole prevents blossom end rot.

One tums (calcarb) under each pepper plant never hurt anything either.

I am not kidding, like that egg spinning deal.
Tip of the day thanks

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
You'd love my wife's cooking. She only uses one pan to cook with unless she's cooking panycakes. For that she utilizes butter. I always do the frenchies or eggs in butter. Strain the bacon or sausage on a paper towel before serving.
Come-on man, knock it off!
1653440378443.png

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I was in spain a longlong time ago, I stayed in a farmhouse with this chic, and we went for walks and stuff..............

Her mom would fill a big skillet with lard, get it hot as fuck, then crack eggs into it. They were unbelievable.

Last edited: